PDA

View Full Version : Canon G7 underwater case opinions?

johng723
06-08-2008, 17:08
Hey guys, I'm new to underwater photography, but am experienced with the art of photography on terra firma :smiley17: I'm looking to get a case for my Canon G7 and the two options that I've found are the Canon case and the Ikelite case. The Canon is the cheaper and seemingly less bulkier option, however the Ikelite looks to be of higher quality, hence the higher cost. Any considerations? Thanks!!

bversteegh
06-08-2008, 21:18
I am an Ikelite fan. Well built products, great customer service (I've owned 3 Ike housings). For good uw photography, you need external strobes. The Ikelite TTL converter takes all the guesswork out of getting a good exposure (although you can now get good optical TTL with Inon strobes).

Keep you eyes open on ebay, scubaboard, and wetpixel. The G7 has been out long enough lots of people are upgrading, and you can probably pick up a used Ike housing for about the same price as a new Canon case.

thor
06-09-2008, 13:09
I have the G9 Ikelite housing, and although it is a little bulkier than the Canon, it is very easy to use. I also find the Ikelite easier to use with gloves on and easier to carry and position due to the tray handle, that the Canon does not have. In the water, the extra bulk is not really an issue to me.

ChrisA
06-09-2008, 13:32
Hey guys, I'm new to underwater photography, but am experienced with the art of photography on terra firma :smiley17: I'm looking to get a case for my Canon G7 and the two options that I've found are the Canon case and the Ikelite case. The Canon is the cheaper and seemingly less bulkier option, however the Ikelite looks to be of higher quality, hence the higher cost. Any considerations? Thanks!!

Are you planning to add a flash or two? If so that may drive your decision. Ikelite has their own flash system so if you buy an Ikelite case you buy an Ikelite flash. I don't know how the Canon housing work with respect to flashbut do figure out how you want to connect the flash before you buy

johng723
06-10-2008, 01:13
I do plan on adding at least one flash due to the loss of color and contrast. I'll have to look into Ikelite a little bit more and definitely keep my eyes open for any used ones. Thanks!