PDA

View Full Version : Why did you learn to dive?

JCAT
08-07-2007, 10:30
Everyone has their own story. This one is mine, tell us yours.

“When I get out of here, I’m going to learn how to dive” I stated to no one in particular. I quickly peaked around the corner again to make sure things were quieting down. They were, and I allowed myself to think back many years ago.

I would sit in front of our family television every Sunday night and hope that ‘The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau’ would be shown, instead of Disney. When the Calypso would appear, time stood still for a small boy fascinated by the underwater explorers.

I was not so interested with the man in the red cap, but with what the divers in the black suits were doing. Long trails of bubbles flowed behind them as they found new animals to film. Sometimes a seal or a dolphin would come close out of curiosity. What an adventure it would be sailing on the Calypso and exploring the oceans!’

The dreams of little boys sadly fade as time passes.

I put aside my quick daydream as I heard one of my buddies remark “You mean if, don’t you?” Yeah, I thought to myself. ‘If’ being the operative word as I stole another glance around the corner. I could hear the UH-60s coming in and knew there was wounded.

My assertion about diving was soon forgotten as the conversation drifted along. Baghdad, in April 03, is not a place you want to daydream in for too long.

I saw my friend today. There’s only the two of us left from that day in Baghdad. “You going diving this weekend?” he asks. “Absolutely!” I respond, and start going on about my recent trip to the Caribbean as well.

As I descend and watch the bubbles from my fellow divers, I can’t help but smile.

Sometimes the dreams of childhood can come back!

Coaster
08-07-2007, 11:21
I wanted to see under the surface of Lake Superior.

thor
08-07-2007, 11:40
Everyone has their own story. This one is mine, tell us yours.

“When I get out of here, I’m going to learn how to dive” I stated to no one in particular. I quickly peaked around the corner again to make sure things were quieting down. They were, and I allowed myself to think back many years ago.

I would sit in front of our family television every Sunday night and hope that ‘The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau’ would be shown, instead of Disney. When the Calypso would appear, time stood still for a small boy fascinated by the underwater explorers.

I was not so interested with the man in the red cap, but with what the divers in the black suits were doing. Long trails of bubbles flowed behind them as they found new animals to film. Sometimes a seal or a dolphin would come close out of curiosity. What an adventure it would be sailing on the Calypso and exploring the oceans!’

The dreams of little boys sadly fade as time passes.

I put aside my quick daydream as I heard one of my buddies remark “You mean if, don’t you?” Yeah, I thought to myself. ‘If’ being the operative word as I stole another glance around the corner. I could hear the UH-60s coming in and knew there was wounded.

My assertion about diving was soon forgotten as the conversation drifted along. Baghdad, in April 03, is not a place you want to daydream in for too long.

I saw my friend today. There’s only the two of us left from that day in Baghdad. “You going diving this weekend?” he asks. “Absolutely!” I respond, and start going on about my recent trip to the Caribbean as well.

As I descend and watch the bubbles from my fellow divers, I can’t help but smile.

Sometimes the dreams of childhood can come back!

WOW. You should be a writer, if you are not already. Great story. Glad you made it home safely. Sometimes we forget that our new dive buddy today may have been helping to protect our freedoms (and allowing the rest of us to dive, and not fight a war,) yesterday.

For me, I just like to travel and to places where there is a lot of wildlife. I've seen a lot of the world, and I thought why not start traveling down. My wife and I were at an auction and saw an OW course for tow being auctioned off. Surprisingly, nobody else bid on it, so we got it for a steal. That was the cheapest thing I have bought since I started diving. I was inspired originally by the scene in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, where they leave the Nautilus and start walking on the ocean floor

Black-Gorrilla
08-07-2007, 12:28
i decided to get into diving because the people above the surface suck!!
i'd rather hang out with the fish and other divers!! you guys are much better.

but you're story is much better than mine.. and you definitely write better than most other on here. myself included i think

dallasdivergirl
08-07-2007, 12:49
I watched waaay too many bond flicks growing up.

I wanted to dive for a very long time before I started & I could kick myself for not starting sooner.

thesmoothdome
08-07-2007, 12:59
I didn't want to do it. Having been rescued by lifeguards when I was 10 as I was sucked out to sea in a rip current, I wasn't really a fan of the ocean. I could swim fine and enjoyed pools, but the ocean was big and unpredictable.

When I became engaged to my first wife, the family, all of whom dove, let me know that I would be diving and I didn't really have a choice in the matter. Not exactly the happy circumstances that make for a good diver, but after my first breath underwater, I was hooked.

94GTStang
08-07-2007, 13:35
I have always loved being in the ocean and it was just a natural thing to do. But I am land locked and that puts a hinder on things. My parents are from NJ and I grew up in that water over there. Course I don't know if I would dive in NJ

reservecops
08-07-2007, 14:06
I learned to dive so that I didn't sink whenever I jumped into the water with all that equipment on ... :)

Seriously ... just something that I always wanted to do ... probably first sparked by the grainy, green 8mm films my Dad made when he was diving back in the 1960's.

MEL-DC Diver
08-07-2007, 14:11
but you're story is much better than mine.. and you definitely write better than most other on here. myself included i think

Yeah, but it is only his second post. He'll degrade in his writing skills like the rest of us, just give him a chance. LOL!

torrey
08-07-2007, 14:32
1. I was fascinated with drawing sharks at 6 y/o
2. Friends mom had 2 amazing salt-water aquariums
3. Always wondered what kind of stuff was at the bottom of the local lake
4. Wanted to do something that not a lot of other people were doing

Those are the main reasons I wanted to get into diving.

yankeefan21
08-07-2007, 14:48
I always thought diving looked cool but never really pursued it. Then, while on vacation in Hawaii, I noticed it was an option on one of their around the island tours. I figured it was now or never.

So, my first dive experience ever was with a really good outfit in Hawaii where the water was 75-80 and the viz was as good underwater as it was above. I'm floating through this lava canyon with all the beautifull underwater flora thinking this was quite possibly the greatest thing ever when a giant green sea turtle swims up past me and almost puts his beak in my mask! Hooked.

When people ask me what diving is like I always say the same thing - it's the closest I've ever come to flying like Superman.

dmdoss
08-07-2007, 18:42
To see the all the oceanic creatures.

dmdoss
08-07-2007, 18:46
I know im going to get flamed for that.

frankc420
08-07-2007, 19:38
Because I can't breathe underwater without a tank strapped to my back :)

medic001918
08-07-2007, 19:40
I started diving because it's something that I had always wanted to do. The only thing I wish would have been that I started earlier than I did.

Shane

Dive-aholic
08-07-2007, 23:50
I finally met someone who was also interested in diving - my wife - and there was a 2 for 1 coupon in the Entertainment book!

DivingsInMyBlood
08-07-2007, 23:54
Ive always being strongly drawn to the ocean and have a healthy respect of its power, my family were royal navy in world war 1 and 2 in the British navy on submarines and destroyers so diving seemed to be really interesting to me and what lurks under water. So now having a little time on my hands and a bit of spare cash I couldnt think of a better way to spend my money and have fun.

torrey
08-08-2007, 06:58
Are you trying to tell us that DivingsInYourBlood? ;)

DivingsInMyBlood
08-08-2007, 07:39
Are you trying to tell us that DivingsInYourBlood? ;)

:smiley2: I would like to think so to some degree.

Zenagirl
08-08-2007, 08:21
My dad always used to tell me that I could swim before I could walk and had webbed toes. :D I was a competitive swimmer for about 15 years and always felt frustrated that I couldn't breathe underwater. When I got a "real" job and was able to take vacations to warm places, I always went snorkeling, then would get frustrated when I couldn't stay underwater to see all the cool critters and fish.

One day while planning a trip to Maui I told my husband we were going to get dive certified, and although he went along, he wasn't that enthused (felt like snorkeling was good enough). After we got certified, he not only changed his tune, but he's the maniac who will only go on DIVE vacations now! :D

Basically, you could say that I learned to dive because it was something I wanted to do for as long as I can remember.

CivilE
08-08-2007, 08:41
It was something that I wanted to do for well over a decade, but kept putting off. About eight years ago, I tried to convince my wife (then girl friend) to take lessons with me. She was so concerned about panicking underwater that she would not do it, so I shelved the idea. This past May she got me lessons as a gift, and here I am :smiley20:

Now I've just got to convince my diving friends to quit building houses and opening restaurants, and go diving with me!

:cheers:

CivilE

I wonder how much those BCD's cost?

cummings66
08-08-2007, 15:29
I've always loved the water. I learned how to swim as a young kid at the YMCA and then took up snorkeling after that, scuba was too expensive according to my parents.

Years later I had this wild hair and decided to get certified, I completely fell in love with it.

Phestr
08-09-2007, 21:15
It's kinda like a legacy. My father has a very nautical frame of mind, and is a diver. So when I got stationed on Okinawa, where the diving is only limited by the weather, he told me that if I didn't learn to dive, not to come back. And now I'm hooked.

dmdoss
08-09-2007, 22:51
It
:cheers:

CivilE

I wonder how much those BCD's cost?

alot i bet....

quarrydiver
08-11-2007, 17:59
always loved the water and jumped at every chance to freedive and snorkel, finally made the time to take the OW course and have been diving since.

Disneymom
09-18-2007, 10:32
I'm bumping/resurrecting this thread because we've gotten so many new members since the last post, and it's interesting to hear everyone's stories!

here's my tale:

I'm NOT an adventure seeker. I'm a middle aged couch-potato mom. I read. I cook. I travel. I go to musicals. We travel to Walt Disney World usually once a year, and have taken 2 cruises, with plans for more in the future. I love the water, and usually will find a way to be in any body of water I can find - ocean, lake, pool, bathtub. I loved snorkeling. I knew that Walt Disney World offered a dive in the big aquarium at Epcot, in The Living Seas. Last fall, I decided this would be a cool thing to do, but knowing that a person must be a certified diver to do it, I set on a quest to obtain my certification.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd93/welch1962/grail2.jpg

After making my decision, I advised my dad that I was going to learn to SCUBA dive! I thought it was pretty cool, and was proud of the big step I'd decided to take, that was so "out of the box" for me. It was at that time that I learned that he was a diver in the East back in the late 50's, and learned some of the great things he did as a diver. Dad, being a great hero of mine - knowing this made me even more motivated.

My Disney trip was scheduled for June of this year, so I shopped instructors and found a group that I really liked, and took the plunge. Although I actually enjoyed myself during my first pool session, I struggled with the heavy and bulky equipment, the awkward fins on my feet, and my lack of physical fitness. I struggled with equalization, found myself mentally and physically exhausted, and was unable to continue with some of my pool skills. Needless to say, I didn't complete my cert and didn't make that Disney dive. After returning from our trip, I joined a gym, began swimming laps, and went back to the pool session, passing with flying colors. Same with my OW checkout dives, and earned my OW cert. And I became addicted. Whatever it is they put in the air, it hooks ya worse than crack cocaine or heroin. Proudly, I became the second generation in my family to become a diver.

Currently, I will complete my AOW cert this coming weekend, will be moving on to rescue, and hope to complete my Divemaster. jwdizney, who once said "I'm sorry, but I will never be able to be your dive buddy", will be one of 2 new buddies after this weekend, and our daughter will be a third-generation diver.

Capt Hook
09-18-2007, 11:59
We were planning a year long trip on our sailboat and decided it would be dumb not to be able to dive.

BobArnold8265
09-18-2007, 12:38
I actualy started to dive because my Wife wanted to. She was watching somethin about the oceans and thought diving would be fun. I honestly never gave it much thought but agreed to take the classes with her not knowing if it would be something that I would like or not. That was 4 years and 200 dives ago !!! We've been hooked ever since our first open water dive !!!

Defman
09-18-2007, 12:38
Got roped into it by a cute blonde that wanted to learn, I finished the classes and she didn't.

I do recall looking at a National Geographic article about Truk Lagoon when I was little, it hit me shortly after I got my cert that I could actually go see that. Now I just need to make that happen while I still can.

ertechsg
09-18-2007, 12:45
Because my wife can't talk at 100 ft below :smiley36:

coralcrazed
09-18-2007, 13:29
well, I grew some gills one day and started drying out :) I'm a fish. no really, I have a reef tank and when you see the kind of life up close and personal that exists on a reef, thats it its all over.

Ramgib
09-18-2007, 13:37
BH started diving one year before me. I had no interest in diving. I would get short of breath just thinking about it or watching divers on TV. I would help him study for his certs .Listened and discussed his dive experiences. Encouraged him to go dive. Went to LDS with him and listened and got to know some divers. Everyone kept asking me when I was going to learn. I’d say no way, I hate wearing a mask and the thought of being under water in the ocean was just not right. In the spring, planned a ten day trip together to West Palm Beach and Key Largo. Wearing a mask had always made me feel claustrophobic. He worked with me in the pool to learn to snorkel for our trip. Still had no interest in diving. No way Jose. Went as a bubble watcher on all his dives in Florida. Loved the boat rides. (Drifts and Nights in WPB; the Grove, Bentwood, Molasses Reef in KL) and I snorkeled on some in KL.
When we returned home, he was checking out some new gear in the pool while I swam. He had me put my face in water and let me breathe off his regulator. To make a long story short, I now have over 200 dives, We are both amazed when we look back and realize that in the spring of 2004, I wasn’t even sure about snorkeling let alone Scuba diving. Now I have all my own gear, from Ranger BC to 4 PST 100’s. The main drawback is it twice as much money!!

Lisa

TX1Chica
09-18-2007, 14:25
For our honeymoon we took our first trip to Cozumel. We were broke and couldn't even afford to snorkle. A few years later we took another trip with my family and went out on one of those sunset snorkle sailboat trips. I wasn't sure if I could get used to breathing out of the snorkle, but after a few min I completely forgot about my nervouseness and loved every min of the tour. In fact it went by too fast. We Came home and bought our own snorkle sets and took those on vacations. But I think that first snokle trip is what made me start to have an interest in Scuba. In May 06 I took another trip to Cozumel, staying on the island this time, with most of my family. 5 or 6 of us decided to take a resort course at the hotel. I have to say that was the best and worst way to be intoduced to Scuba. They gave us a quick lesson and suited us up and said jump in. With very little training we jumped into 15 foot of water, right into the ocean with fish everywhere. Being that that was the first time I had ever felt the bubbles around my face, and being so far under water, with very little instruction, I came up to the surface and thought I would never go back down. It took a while for me to get the nerve to try it again, but I went back down and sat on the bottom holding hands with my brother and sister. Two members of the group couldn't do it, so their was just 3 of us left. We did about a 30 min dive with the DM pointing out stuff that I would have never seen on my own. It was amazing!
When we got back home we all wanted to get cert. I honestly didn't think it would happen. I though it was one of those things people talk about and never do. My husband wasn't interested, so I knew I would be on my own. It only took a couple months and by the time we signed up for the class we had 8 family and friends taking the course. We have added 5 more this past year and a couple more spouses are thinking about getting cert. because they're left out of a lot of scuba conversations.
Here is a pic of our resort course.

quarkuud
09-18-2007, 16:02
I was a bit of a fish growing up, but diving never even crossed my mind. I'd always lived inland, so there weren't a lot of divers around and it wasn't a normal activity for most people.

When I moved to Maryland, my roommate was a diver, and when she talked about it, it seemed really cool. But I didn't do anything about it. Quarry diving didn't seem to quite be what I was looking for.

After Maryland, I was in Iraq for a few months. I remember sitting in a former palace of Saddam Hussein as my boss that I was going to be assigned to Australia next. My first thought was "can't they give me somewhere colder?" and my second was "I'm going to learn to dive."

jwdizney
09-18-2007, 16:10
I'm bumping/resurrecting this thread because we've gotten so many new members since the last post, and it's interesting to hear everyone's stories!

here's my tale:

I'm NOT an adventure seeker. I'm a middle aged couch-potato mom. I read. I cook. I travel. I go to musicals. We travel to Walt Disney World usually once a year, and have taken 2 cruises, with plans for more in the future. I love the water, and usually will find a way to be in any body of water I can find - ocean, lake, pool, bathtub. I loved snorkeling. I knew that Walt Disney World offered a dive in the big aquarium at Epcot, in The Living Seas. Last fall, I decided this would be a cool thing to do, but knowing that a person must be a certified diver to do it, I set on a quest to obtain my certification.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd93/welch1962/grail2.jpg

After making my decision, I advised my dad that I was going to learn to SCUBA dive! I thought it was pretty cool, and was proud of the big step I'd decided to take, that was so "out of the box" for me. It was at that time that I learned that he was a diver in the East back in the late 50's, and learned some of the great things he did as a diver. Dad, being a great hero of mine - knowing this made me even more motivated.

My Disney trip was scheduled for June of this year, so I shopped instructors and found a group that I really liked, and took the plunge. Although I actually enjoyed myself during my first pool session, I struggled with the heavy and bulky equipment, the awkward fins on my feet, and my lack of physical fitness. I struggled with equalization, found myself mentally and physically exhausted, and was unable to continue with some of my pool skills. Needless to say, I didn't complete my cert and didn't make that Disney dive. After returning from our trip, I joined a gym, began swimming laps, and went back to the pool session, passing with flying colors. Same with my OW checkout dives, and earned my OW cert. And I became addicted. Whatever it is they put in the air, it hooks ya worse than crack cocaine or heroin. Proudly, I became the second generation in my family to become a diver.

Currently, I will complete my AOW cert this coming weekend, will be moving on to rescue, and hope to complete my Divemaster. jwdizney, who once said "I'm sorry, but I will never be able to be your dive buddy", will be one of 2 new buddies after this weekend, and our daughter will be a third-generation diver.

SHE MADE ME DO IT!!!...:fit::whip:

just kidding... I saw too many people having TOO much fun... I wanted to share that with my DISNEYMOM!....:heartpump:

TX1Chica
09-18-2007, 16:54
Jwdizney, you give me hope that someday, my husband will catch the fever too.

diverdad
09-18-2007, 19:47
My interest in diving started when i was very young, you see my dad was a navy diver. So i got to listen to hundreds of stories of the places and things he got to see and do. Well i grew up in a small town in the UPPER PENISULA AF MICHIGAN there no dive shops close and my parents could not afford it any way. So when i was able to finally get a job were i could afford it, it was one of the first things i did.

tremtech
09-18-2007, 20:25
Growing up in St. Petersburg Florida I was exposed to early immersion, I was in the water more than out for several years. Then the light came on while in the Navy, My best friend and roommate was an under water demolition diver and he was working in the mine boat yard when I had to pick him up, His car was (fubar). When I approached the dock the dive team was suiting up mark 5 hard hats and dry suits and they were attempting to lift a fifty foot mine hunter boat that sunk after hurricane Hugo in the Cooper river I watched in amazement on the video monitors and I was hooked. the following weekend they invited me to cert with a few new crew members and I have been playing with water ever since

chinacat46
09-18-2007, 20:40
I was killing time in NZ before heading to Fiji and thought it would be kewl to learn to dive before going to Fiji. It was and now I'm an addict.

Kidder
09-18-2007, 21:25
ITs something I wanted to do since I was a kid. I would always hold my breath under water as long as I could and swam and around. I wanted to be down for as long and as many times as I could.

ScaredSilly
09-18-2007, 22:45
Didn't someone ask this already?

I needed a PE credit in college. Took scuba, alpine climbing, and badminton. The latter was the hardest by far.

scubajane
11-21-2007, 21:31
it's always good to bring some of these things to the surface again. I gave hubby lessons for scuba. he has always wanted to dive I was too scared. he told me he needed a buddy and who could he trust more than me...I fell for his line and now I drag him around by the reg demanding more dive time. I am hooked hook line and sinker

cow109
11-21-2007, 22:43
Genetically predisposed Cousteauaholism

DRhodes
11-25-2007, 12:54
My dad is a PADI instructor, I think #564. So he got me hooked on it since I was a little kid. I didn't actually get certified by him though. I finally got certified when I was in college (1994), through one of the elective classes that doesn't really count towards graduation.

Daved
11-25-2007, 13:40
Found out I couldn't breath underwater--left me little choice but scuba.

kev99
11-25-2007, 13:58
Had never really thought about diving until this past summer when we were planning excursions for our trip to Cancun. One of my buddies got certified several years ago and told me how cool scuba diving was after I mentioned our hotel had a "scuba" pool.

Suggested it to my wife and she was like, "Yeah, sounds cool to me!" We signed up for the discover scuba class and a multi-day package with two snorkeling trips, waverunner ride through mangroves and trip to Isla Mujeres. Did the pool stuff one day and went down in the pool 15' deep and played around for a little, the next day we went out in the caribbean for about 35 minutes. It was one of the most amazing things I had ever experienced! After that first dive, we decided immediately to come home and do research on what we had to do (we did not know anything about certification other than what the instructor told us while on vacation), that way we could plan future trips around diving instead of picking places and then trying to figure out what excursions we would do. We wish we had been certified last year on our trip to Hawaii, but we have Grand Cayman in December and St. Kitts next May with plenty more places to go in the future!

BuzzF117
11-25-2007, 16:35
Funny thing about getting certified I don't get the headaches I used to while in water. I am the type of person that dives down and holds his breath for as long as he can after about 30 min of doing this I would get a headach. Not anymore since I don't have to hold my breath to swim with da fishies anymore.

Soonerwink
11-25-2007, 16:41
I was in Cozumel on my 25th anniversary, my wife and I had scheduled a half day deep sea fishing outing. It was cancelled due to not enough fishermen. There was a resort course starting at that time. I decided to take it since I had some time to kill. I liked it so much I went on a shore dive with the instructor. I was hooked. Almost 7 years later and several thousand dollars later I am an ADDICT.

Ohio_diver16
11-26-2007, 01:02
I was a fish growing up, we had a pool and my mom would have to bring food onto the deck before I'd get out of that water, couple that with being a Discovery Channel freak and all I wanted to do was, "Breath underwater" I evn had dreams as a kid of swimming in my pool and breathing underwater. Sick family members, a failed engagement (thank GOD!) and 10 years kept me from becoming certified.

One day I found myself single, bored, and constrained by what seemed a redundant life (work, school, take care of ill family, work school, take care of ill family - lather, rinse, repeat kinda life) I said %&#! it! and opened up the Yellow Pages, found a dive shop, took the balance from my student loan and paid for OW cert. I've only been diving a year and half now, but everytime I start to get stressed I have a routine, work out, shower, read a dive magazine or this site for 15 minutes, and next thing you know life is liquid again - pun intended. For being the primary care giver of parents since age 10, diving is the one thing that no matter how stressed, irritated, fed up, or all around completely mentally and physically drained - I know that I can always watch bubbles go from even 10 feet down, and with each exhale - I'm not releasing carbon dioxide or nitrogen or anything else - I'm releasing every ounce of stress I've gathered from my last dive, serenity at its best.

easyrider003
12-05-2007, 07:26
I have always loved being in the water swimming. As I got older I thought it would be so cool to learn to dive. So when I started college, I was attending on a pell grant and it would pay for anything that the college offered. So i thought what better chance than to get certified for FREE, well except for the required gear for the class. So thats why/how I became certified.

PsychDiver
12-05-2007, 09:59
My father was formerly UDT-40 during WWII and was later a commercial diver. He started a dive company in the 1950's in the pacific northwest. I watched him dive and couldn't wait to do it. Put my first tank on in a pool at age 5 (dad had to hold me the whole time - wouldn't let me go off on my own - made me mad because my older brothers got to). Started diving age 10.

Anne Eastwell
12-05-2007, 16:15
I got into diving because my ex-hubby wanted to.... talk about sheep mentality! And we were both sick of being the babysitters while everyone else dived. He got upset when it turned out I was better at it than him and enjoyed it more. Now I dive and I don't think he does.

I'm trying to entice my SO into diving now. He's not keen, can't see why I want to put all that gear on to swim around underwater. Although he does enjoy snorkelling... ah well, his loss.

cutter77
12-07-2007, 02:16
We took a cruise and at the port stop in Cozumel we went snorkeling. I remember seeing a DM with two divers following him beneath me at about 40 feet and I wished I was there too. I signed up for OW about 2 months later.

FOUNDATIONER
12-07-2007, 21:05
While growing up I was addicted to the space program. I never missed
an Apollo mission. I was allowed to miss as much school as necessary
to witness every moment. I loved watching astronauts in space.
No gravity, all that COOL gear, moving as gracefully as if they were
born to it. In those days all the science textbooks promised a future
of air cars, space wheels and easy access to the cosmos for the masses.
As we all know, not so much. So, what to do...head in the other direction!
No gravity, all that COOL gear, moving as gracefully as if I were born to it.
So, I experience outer space vicariously through my telescopes. But
while I'm diving, I get to be the astronaut:smiley33:

adv_diver1
12-09-2007, 10:55
At the time, 1991, there were not many people my age that were certified, let alone a bunch of people.

I wanted to do something that others did not do. I have also grown up near the ocean all my life, so I have always been intrigued as to what was under the water.

I have always believed in self-education and the broadening of horizons. I just started really young.

Chocoholic
03-22-2008, 01:45
My dad always used to tell me that I could swim before I could walk and had webbed toes. :D I was a competitive swimmer for about 15 years and always felt frustrated that I couldn't breathe underwater. When I got a "real" job and was able to take vacations to warm places, I always went snorkeling, then would get frustrated when I couldn't stay underwater to see all the cool critters and fish.
Basically, you could say that I learned to dive because it was something I wanted to do for as long as I can remember.

Except for the competitive swimmer part, That is me! I actually do have webbed toes:smiley2:. I think it was watching Cousteau and then learning that my Dad used to dive the log jams in the 60s. I just happened upon a dive class at my University and decided to take it. Oh, and i remember being on holidays and seeing some woman coming out of the water in dive gear and thinking I am going to do that.

SHAGGY
03-22-2008, 08:37
Snorkeling gave me the bug,.... but luckily my work sent me to school and got me certified and purchased all of my equipment. I can honestly say "fun" diving is much more enjoyable than "work" diving.

shaggy

coyote
03-22-2008, 09:18
I never had more then a passing curiosity about diving. It was fascinating to watch on TV but I had no serious interest in doing it myself.
A friend at work mentioned taking a class and I agreed to come along. The class was something different to do for a couple of weekends but I didn't give it much thought otherwise. The funny thing is we talked about it for about two years before it actually getting around to taking it.
Once we took it everything went down hill from there. :D After getting certified and surfacing from our very first real dive my buddy and I came up with a saying: “If god invented anything better the women or diving he kept it to himself.” (ß That’s the polite version anyway.)

ianr33
03-22-2008, 10:16
I moved from the north of England to Houston in June.

Could not believe that anywhere could be that hot and humid.Needed to do something involving water and had always wanted to learn to dive.

Maybe I will dive in England one day now that I have a drysuit.

hoobascooba
03-22-2008, 10:25
i love good challenges.

i heard diving was challenging, so it was only natural for me to try it... and I'll be darned if I didn't get hooked!

malley1717
03-24-2008, 10:57
i started to fix and inspect my grandfather's mooring. He said it was too expensive to have the pros come and do it. I am beginning it would have been cheaper to have the pros do it....atleast for me!

mselizann
03-24-2008, 11:08
I snorkeled alot- it was just a natural progression

terrillja
03-24-2008, 11:28
All of the hot women in the PADI brochures. Have yet to see them when diving though.

cummings66
03-24-2008, 11:49
I saw one going through OW. She was smokin. There are a few out there, in fact not to be sexist but there's a couple members here who I'd put in that category. Never saw them dive though, pipedream most likely.:smiley36:

terrillja
03-24-2008, 11:54
I saw one going through OW. She was smokin. There are a few out there, in fact not to be sexist but there's a couple members here who I'd put in that category. Never saw them dive though, pipedream most likely.:smiley36:

I think that may also have to do with the climate we dive in, not many women are interested in freezing their *ss off. I'm betting it would be different if we were in Miami.

frogman159
03-24-2008, 17:28
Was a swimmer and lifeguard in HS, always wanted to get certified since I was 16- Either never had the $$, or any potential buddies didn't have any $$ to do it with me, I just turned 28 and my OW checkout dives are scheduled for this May. :smiley20:

It took me 12 years, but I made it

bottomdweller
03-25-2008, 20:48
Stayed in Cancun for a week with a buddy that was certified and I took the resort course so we could dive together, I was hooked from the second I realized I could BREATHE and all was good. I did 6 resort dives and loved them but my buddy did 2 cenote dives that I could not do He told me all about them. Going to Coz this year, Certified & ready to Dive it all!!! (with the right guides of course).

scubasamurai
03-25-2008, 21:07
a friend said your living in florida you have to learn how to dive, it is the LAW hahah

jtkkym
03-25-2008, 21:18
My son wanted learn SCUBA so I took OW class with him. Now, I'm hooked.

sidneydiver
03-25-2008, 21:34
I never wanted to dive, I just went to the class because a friend was going. I'm sooooooooooo glad I went. Now I'm addicted!

Dee
03-25-2008, 22:40
Like alot of others I grew up in the 50's watching Mike Nelson and the Cousteau's. I was fascinated by anything marine related but learning to dive was never even considered. First my family was never a 'water' family although I could swim and second, girls just weren't allowed...that was only for men. Fast forward until I was 40yo and beast came home from work one day and said "Guess what we're gonna do?" One of the guys he worked with was a DM and needed a dive buddy for local diving. Of course I had my own set of reservations but it looked like a hobby that we could finally do together. Beast found a local shop for classes and I have to admit being the only girl in a class of 10 men just made me more determined than ever. We both became DM's and really enjoy mentoring new students. That was 14 years ago and we're still diving every chance we got, local green water or trips to blue water, we'll be there!

DollFin
03-25-2008, 23:38
I had an interest in learning scuba for as long as I can remember, but both price and self doubt always got in the way. I was never sure if my vision would end up preventing me from diving and for a long time, I was afraid to even try because I figured someone would tell me "no you can't" - something I experienced way too often when I was younger and just got conditioned to expect.

Fortunately, I made some wonderful friends a few years back who were divers. 3 years ago, they moved to St. Thomas and bought a dive op. THey kept encouraging me to come down there, and finally last October, I bought a ticket. I took the PADI e-learning course so I could have the academic training down before I got there, and they put me through my confined and open water sessions where I joyously discovered my eyesight was NOT a problem in the least. I was happy to finally be able to participate in something I had always wanted to do, and now I just wish I had the money and resources to dive more often!!

I am going back to St. Thomas in May where hopefully I will get my advanced OW and a specialty or two under my belt. I can't wait!!!

rawalker
03-26-2008, 12:59
Having been an avid snorkeler since I first started to swim it seemed a natural progression. It wasn't until experiencing 40' in bueatiful blue waters with the abundant life of a barrier reef that I really got to experience what scuba could be. This pushed me from interested observer trying a new activity, to an actively engaged participant interested in taking in and sharing the experiences the lifestyle of the sport has to offer.

gthomas
03-26-2008, 13:28
Love of the water and just thought diving would be cool. I was right:smiley20:

doczerothree
03-26-2008, 15:11
My UNCLE taught me. And I liked it.

Splitlip
03-26-2008, 19:56
. .

Penguino
04-04-2008, 00:17
The dive instructor I was talking to about a possible OW class said: "God intended us to Scuba. Fish are colorblind, yet all of the corals/fish are vibrant with color. Who else was intended to enjoy that but us?" Thats all the convincing I needed.

texdiveguy
04-04-2008, 00:21
To avoid mandatory jail time.

mentalmarine
04-04-2008, 08:11
I took a dive course at my University so I could get keep my fulltime status for financial aid :) I'm glad I did it, hrmmmmm... I did it to save money, however now I have spent more money than I would have saved by taking the class. From the first moment underwater, I was hooked!

obrules15
04-05-2008, 09:25
My mother tells me that I learned to dive because as a child I kept sitting on the bottom of the pool and not wanting to come up and this was the only way to stay down.:smiley36:

DevilDiver
04-05-2008, 10:19
. .

http://forum.scubatoys.com/attachments/scuba-stories-comments-questions-dont-fit-elsewhere/1881d1206579359-why-did-you-learn-dive-eidsvag2.jpg

Now that looks like a specialty class that would be worth looking into!!:smiley32:

mudshark
04-06-2008, 02:09
When I was a kid I saw "Jaws" and unlike most people, it made me want to go into the water even more. I mean, they killed the big bad shark, right? I wanted to be a marine biologist but my parents didn't support the idea and besides, they said, we live in a desert - how are you going to dive? Fast forward many years and my best friend's daughter wanted to get married at one of those all-inclusive resorts in the Bahamas. I said to myself, "That's it! Finally!" as I can't sit on a beach watching the day go by for 7 days; I'd go crazy. I convinced my husband that this was the chance/excuse I'd been waiting for as the kick in the butt I needed to take the plunge (pun intended). My husband was reluctant but went along with the idea. From the time I put my head underwater in the pool and had that epiphany that I actually could breathe underwater, I was hooked in every sense of the word. While my husband began as a reluctant beginner, he too is now a lover of things underwater. I'm thrilled at my progress in the sport because not long ago I thought it was not going to happen for me. I now have 100 dives, nitrox, deep, search and recovery, navigation and a couple of other certs, have dove in half a dozen countries with happily no end in site. :smilie39:

NoTime58
04-06-2008, 10:17
When I was a kid in Boy Scouts our swimming and lifesaving merit badge instructor was a Navy Seal. He made it sound so cool to be breathing under the water for extended periods of time. I always wanted to become a diver......it only took another 37 years after scouting for me to actually take the "plunge" !!

Athena2c
04-06-2008, 10:40
I've always been passionate about the water and fascinated with the creatures in it! Then I started dating a man who loves diving and he encouraged me to try it. Then the local dive shop had a 2 for 1 OW course deal and I had a friend who wanted to do it too. Then, while I was in class, me and the aforementioned man booked a trip to Cozumel. It all came into place....
The rest is history :smiley20: