PDA

View Full Version : Have You Fallen Asleep at Depth?

Vercingetorix
08-07-2007, 10:37
During my OW class, our instructor mentioned that sometimes he's so relaxed on the platform waiting for students or whatever, that he actually falls asleep. We students found this kind of difficult to believe.

Now that I have a few dives since then and more relaxed below the surface, I find that I almost fall asleep as well while waiting for other students or members of the group to descend. It's just that relaxing.

On th surface, again while awaiting the group, I'll inflate my wing (BP/W), lie on my back, hook a hand through the dive buoy handle (so as not to drift off), and drfit off. The gentle wave action an soft sounds of the waves lapping against my head are quite relaxing. While waiting to descend during one class, the DM had to shout at me twice to awaken me to ensure I hadn't passed out.

So, have you drifted off to slumber land?

thor
08-07-2007, 10:41
Ocean + Sleep = Death

badfrog88
08-07-2007, 10:42
I did once in the pool.

I and some other divemaster candidates were in the pool between classes (the classes were being taught as part of a university PE program) and I was laying on the the bottom watching the others playing around above me.

The next thing I knew, the instructor had slowly broken the seal on my mask so it was slowly flooding.

Kent

deepdiver47
08-07-2007, 10:56
Can't say that I have dozed off. But I an fully relaxed enough to
think about it though :)

ReefHound
08-07-2007, 10:57
If you feel like you could fall asleep at depth, I would recommend you strap the reg into your mouth and do not ever solo dive.

Coaster
08-07-2007, 11:08
I'm too busy looking for sunken treasures to fall asleep. :smiley2:

Black-Gorrilla
08-07-2007, 11:44
i passed out on the beach and around the pool a few times... but that's patrons fault.
i do feel very relaxed at depth... but im usually just having so much fun that i can't even fathom falling asleep.

dallasdivergirl
08-07-2007, 11:56
not a problem I ever see having. I am impressed but are you maybe sleep deprived?

Vercingetorix
08-07-2007, 13:07
not a problem I ever see having. I am impressed but are you maybe sleep deprived?Not a problem for me either. I'm not sleep deprived. I'm just sufficiently comfortable in the underwater environment to be relaxed. Some folks are tense from entry until exit.

Now, that said, obviously, if I swimming about and active, then I'm not going to fall asleep.

JahJahwarrior
08-07-2007, 13:09
So, have you drifted off to slumber lad?

If you added the word "with" then I think Michael Jackson would answer in the affirmative....;)

3rdEye
08-07-2007, 13:19
great, another hazard for me to worry about....i can nap just about anywhere

Black-Gorrilla
08-07-2007, 13:22
well, have you're self some energy drinks before you head out

Vercingetorix
08-07-2007, 13:29
So, have you drifted off to slumber lad?

If you added the word "with" then I think Michael Jackson would answer in the affirmative....;)D*mn my keyboard.:smiley5: The word should be "land".

JahJahWarrior...you perv :smiley36::smiley36::smiley36: My kind of guy.:smiley36:

dallasdivergirl
08-07-2007, 13:33
Don't be blaming the keyboard for your freudian slip.....

94GTStang
08-07-2007, 13:34
During my OW class, our instructor mentioned that sometimes he's so relaxed on the platform waiting for students or whatever, that he actually falls asleep. We students found this kind of difficult to believe.

Now that I have a few dives since then and more relaxed below the surface, I find that I almost fall asleep as well while waiting for other students or members of the group to descend. It's just that relaxing.

On th surface, again while awaiting the group, I'll inflate my wing (BP/W), lie on my back, hook a hand through the dive buoy handle (so as not to drift off), and drfit off. The gentle wave action an soft sounds of the waves lapping against my head are quite relaxing. While waiting to descend during one class, the DM had to shout at me twice to awaken me to ensure I hadn't passed out.

What was his name? Our O/W instructor said he feel asleep from being so relaxed on a Coz dive. He woke up when the reg popped out of his mouth

yankeefan21
08-07-2007, 14:39
Never at depth! I have to admit, I'm pretty sure I nodded off while bobbing at the surface a couple of times waiting for the boat to pick us up off a drift dive...

MEL-DC Diver
08-07-2007, 14:49
Never when diving - that would be dangerous. It only seems to happen to me when driving.

Vercingetorix
08-07-2007, 15:40
It only seems to happen to me when driving.My grandfather passed away peacefully in his sleep...unlike the other three passengers in the car he was driving.

//Thank you...you've been a great audience...I'll be here all week...tip your waiters

Coaster
08-07-2007, 16:49
not a problem I ever see having. I am impressed but are you maybe sleep deprived?Not a problem for me either. I'm not sleep deprived. I'm just sufficiently comfortable in the underwater environment to be relaxed. Some folks are tense from entry until exit.

Now, that said, obviously, if I swimming about and active, then I'm not going to fall asleep.

Dve plan #1 Arrive at CSSP :Yawn:... nap... gear up... nap...drink RedBull...descend...nap...navigate...nap...navigat e...nap...identify fish...nap...get tense... asecend...sleep while drifting on surface ...sounds great :snore:...I'lll bring the RockStar! :fulle:

94GTStang
08-07-2007, 18:43
It only seems to happen to me when driving.My grandfather passed away peacefully in his sleep...unlike the other three passengers in the car he was driving.

//Thank you...you've been a great audience...I'll be here all week...tip your waiters

http://www.okdhm.com/forums/images/smilies/rimshot.gif

dmdoss
08-07-2007, 18:45
Maybe if i was using a rebreather.

Centerius
08-08-2007, 11:23
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z207/jamescuster/misc/5efe704c.jpg

* Note: I wasn't really sleeping. This was the last dive of my vacation and I was pretty tired... so I made a joke about sleeping in the sand.

Vercingetorix
08-08-2007, 13:13
Centerius,
Dude, change that to an attachment

WV Diver
08-08-2007, 14:24
I've done this. We were doing some experiments that required us to set up a station using makeshift type equipment. Although it was not necessary to watch the experiment it was necessary to hold the makeshift equipment in place for a preiod of not less then 15 minutes at a time.

On the third or fourth round I put my hand over the bucket to hold it down and put my chin in my hands, sets the timer on my watch, which I had to do anyway and woke up when it went off. I didn't mean to go to sleep but I did. No big deal really.

Centerius
08-08-2007, 18:21
Centerius,
Dude, change that to an attachment

I resized the picture. I forgot not everyone has a large resolution screen :sulkoff:.

Vercingetorix
08-08-2007, 18:34
Centerius, I've got the big screen. But, rather than resize, make it an attachment instead of in-line image. If you don't know how to do that, go to advanced edit and use the "Manage Attachments" button below the edit screen

Coaster
08-08-2007, 18:50
Hey Vercingetorix...looks like I'm traveling this weekend..so I'll have to plan a dive with you some other time. Too bad cause I've been workin late nights this week...been sleeping during the day...perfect for a snooze dive don't ya think?

Splitlip
08-08-2007, 19:37
I can certainly see it. People fall asleep driving all the time.

I have had to struggle a few times to keep awake on none working warm water drift dives.

ScubaSteve
08-08-2007, 20:45

Was his name... Woody? :smilie39:

Osprey
08-09-2007, 01:32
I've dozed off just floating on my back in the waves before, in the shallows. My mom was standing next to me though, no biggie. I can definitely see how people can underwater as well

foo
08-09-2007, 02:30
I'm going to be honest- I thought this thread title was a joke at first! I read it and thought, yeah, right. I cannot imagine ever falling asleep during a dive. My mind is relaxed, yes, but it's also thinking about small things like depth, air consumption, my buddy, how much I love this, etc. Are you sleepers DMs? Maybe just in the water so much that you're bored sometimes?

WV Diver
08-09-2007, 07:48
I'm going to be honest- I thought this thread title was a joke at first! I read it and thought, yeah, right. I cannot imagine ever falling asleep during a dive. My mind is relaxed, yes, but it's also thinking about small things like depth, air consumption, my buddy, how much I love this, etc. Are you sleepers DMs? Maybe just in the water so much that you're bored sometimes?
I like you signature. I don't know if being a DM has that much to do with it. In my case, if you spend enough time in benign environments with little to look at and find yourself doing repeatative and very boring tasks, it is not so hard to do.

Vercingetorix
08-09-2007, 11:21
Was his name... Woody? I ain' tellin'

woody
08-10-2007, 04:21
I'll take the fifth.

Splitlip
08-10-2007, 11:48

No not a DM. There was a summer there where I was racking up the hours on weekends. Often without out enough sleep. Some times on the easy no brainer dives, I guess my mind thought it was ok to shut off.

diversteve
08-10-2007, 12:09
I think I did once. Not really at depth though. I was hanging on the bar at 15' on a boat off Grand Cayman watching the divers bubble patterns below me. I was the first one up. Had the boat's hookah reg in my mouth so no worries on air. It was so peaceful I thought I'd just shut my eyes for a couple minutes.

Next thing I know I'm spitting out salt water...

ScubaSteve
08-10-2007, 13:05
I'll take the fifth.

I knew it!!! :ylsuper:

Splitlip
08-10-2007, 17:29
if you spend enough time in benign environments with little to look at and find yourself doing repeatative and very boring tasks, it is not so hard to do.
What WV said (better than I could)

mobeeno
04-13-2008, 21:19
If I have to take motion sickness pills I will take the non drowsy kind.

mentalmarine
04-13-2008, 21:36
lol, wow I dont think I have ever gotten close to falling asleep. I can think of to many things to go wrong for that to happen.

scubasamurai
04-13-2008, 21:56
i be worried about loosing the reg in the mouth. you know that mouth drool kind of thing

Sounder
04-14-2008, 14:10
Back to OP: An OW instructor falling asleep while waiting for his students? Hmmmm...

No Misses
04-14-2008, 14:34
Last night I was dreaming that I had fallen asleep while diving. I woke up when I pee'd the bed
:anim_sleep: :SHOCKED:

ScottW
04-14-2008, 14:57
When I was a DM I drifted into la la land a couple times in the pool while students were enjoying free time. As an Instructor I've been plenty tired and wanted to nap but couldn't. I can hear the lawyer now.
"So Mr. Instructor what were you doing while your student was trying to descend uncontrollably?" "I was counting sheepfish"