PDA

View Full Version : Thieves

Taigin
06-10-2008, 17:55
So I was parked outside my LDS, and I went inside for about a half hour.

When I came outside, I opened my car door and looked down and said to myself, "Why is there glass on the drivers seat. I peer in and saw my passenger side window was GONE.....along with my laptop, cell phone, digital camera, iPod nano, and a backpack.

I am a little miffed.

Martin2
06-10-2008, 17:57
Oh man, I am so sorry.

DevilDiver
06-10-2008, 17:59
Man, That really sux!!!

Any chance insurance will cover any of it?

Taigin
06-10-2008, 18:01
It not like my laptop had anything important on it. Just every photo I have taken since last May, my resumes, personal notes, music....

Stuff like that.

hooligan
06-10-2008, 18:06
That sucks... I hope you catch those bastards and cut off their hands!!! You should file a police report and give them the serial # of your computer. They will enter it into the national crime computer, and pawn shops are supposed to check the serial numbers before they give any cash. I would also keep an eye on ebay for your particular laptop model, I think it's more popular these days to sell it there instead of the pawn shop. Who knows, the people might be stupid enough to list all the stuff at the same time. Back when I was a cop, we used to catch people all the time doing that. I worked in a college town, so laptops, ipods, bikes, etc would go missing all the time.

Taigin
06-10-2008, 18:18
Report filed. Serial number of phone and laptop have been filed.

HOWEVER, Honolulu PD just busted a couple pawnshops here for NOT checking the database. Tens of THOUSANDS of dollars worth of items were seized. I am told they had to make a website for people to check to see if their items were in there.

Insurance is covering some of it, but there is this pesky deductible. I am giving serious thought to lowering all my deductibles to zero.....

CompuDude
06-10-2008, 18:34
Condolences!

I hope you backed up your data... if not, this is your wake-up call!

chinacat46
06-10-2008, 19:16
Really sorry for your loss. Hope your car or homeowners insurance will cover you.

crgjpg
06-10-2008, 19:31
I feel for you. I recently had my hard drive crash with all of my pictures on it.

I am a police officer and work at a medium size department. If we have time we visit the pawn shops looking for stolen items. We also suggest to the owners to vist the shops themselves. It probably would not hurt for you to visit the pawn shops.

Crimediver
06-11-2008, 06:00
Another cop here. Check craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums (http://www.craigslist.com) frequently as well. I recover a ton of stolen loot from it. Hope you get your gear back and the thieves caught and dunked in melted lead...

BoomerNJ
06-11-2008, 07:16
Hot lead definitely... Melted, not so much... lol!

That sucks, I hope you get your stuff back. I know for me the loss of the pics & stuff would be the worst part. I have been backing that stuff up for years now, after working in the computer industry for a while I learned from my customers... I make multiple copies of my music & pics to a couple of different external hard drives & one USB flash drive...

Damselfish
06-11-2008, 12:42
Always leave anything interesting looking in the trunk where it can't be seen. My husband left a backpack on his back seat some years ago and had the same thing happen. Fortunately he didn't have his laptop in it at the time, and it contained a cell phone that he was about to disable because he had just gotten a new one. So it wasn't as bad. The bag turned up in a swamp down the road a few weeks later.

cowgirldiver
06-11-2008, 14:00
I had my car broken in to the weekend before Christmas. I'd been to my family's that day and luckily had brought all the gifts in. Most of what they took had little value to anyone but me-except the manual for my VW (cost's about $100 to replace). They also took two of my Radioshack charger ends but left the charger. Go figure. I think the worst part is the way it makes you feel. It happened just outside my house and for months afterwards every time I heard anything I had to run and look and make sure it wasn't happening again.

longtailbda
06-11-2008, 15:18
Not much worse, you never quite feel as trusting again.

diver-wife
06-16-2008, 19:22
there are a lot of lazy pieces of *&%^ out there that find it easier to take others than earn a living fair and square, can you tell this pisses me off?

Doug B
06-22-2008, 21:00
Seems there is a lot of crime in the honolulu area.

Last year....

I was in a dive shop on the north side of the island with some other folks, getting ready for the morning dive. Thier car was broken into while we were in the shop.

Took a van to the dive shop, and the DM told us to not leave ANYTHING in the van. He was going to leave the doors unlocked so that the theives would stop breaking windows, and just open the doors to get into the van and find nothing. Apparently, it's a common thing?

I also saw signs everywhere, or so it seemed, to not leave anything in cars. Sort of made me semi-paranoid.

Karletto
06-23-2008, 09:28
my father forgot his laptop on the back seat in the car; it happened in 1/2 hour too; a criminalist found it on a narcoman 80 miles far in a big city; thieves messed with data a bit; if u live in a village or town (5000 people max) the laptop is on its way to a bigger city -> probably more chance to sell and hide it from the police

scuba007
06-23-2008, 10:22
Sorry about your losses. Hope they catch the one that is responsible.

sidneydiver
06-23-2008, 14:23
That sucks, I'm sorry. It drives me nuts that people can do that sort of thing and live with themselves! I've had my house broken into and my car stolen over the years.

I hope you get your stuff back.

thagar
06-28-2008, 19:01
Man that sucks. I have low jack for laptops installed on mine.

jimmysdevoted
06-29-2008, 00:53
At least yours was of value.. nto to deride your loss. but I had my Plymouth Horizon stolen.... there was a 22 under the seat and that hurt most of all.

Does anyone have copie sof images or documents that you sent so you can get duplicates?

j

joeSteve1006
06-29-2008, 08:07
I know how you feel, my house was broken into a couple years ago. terrible feeling and I'm sorry it had to happen to you.

cummings66
06-29-2008, 08:31
I had a gun stolen from me a long time ago, my brother in law just had his stolen a week ago. I've known them to break windows out instead of trying to open a door which was left open just so they wouldn't break a window. I'd love to see criminals turned over to the victims for justice and for the law to allow any punishment they see fit.

It's a severe violation of privacy for this to happen, but it does.

buddhasummer
06-29-2008, 09:20
yep that certainley sucks, I feel for you, what a pain eh, Ive had my house borken into twice and my car once and all my clothes stolen of the washing line twice and I mean everything, who steals other peoples underwear and socks too $%^&@#, claiming is always a pain (NZ) as there is always some reason why they either dont wanna pay or decide the value is way way less than the replacement cost, and thats assuming it is stuff that can be replaced. I absolutely hate theives, Im not rich and I work hard for everything I own and it pisses me off that some lazy ****bag just steals it. I have all my photos, music etc backed up to discs and an external hard drive more incase my comp goes south than than theft, but I guess If I live long enough Ill probably get robbed again, hmmm. Anyway hope insurance shines on you. My condolences.

TxHockeyGuy
06-29-2008, 21:31
I too have had my car broken into several times. Enough has been said about that that I'll move onto another topic I see here. Backups.

I work in IT, and I cannot tell you how many times I hear about someone losing data. Good backups are a necessity, not a nicety, you NEED them. I don't work for this company, I just use them and have found they work great. Checkout Online Backup, Data Backup & Remote Backup Solutions from Mozy.com €“ Welcome (http://mozy.com/). It's an online backup that's fully encrypted, and you get to choose the encryption key if you so choose. Obviously not for everyone, but the for the vast majority, it works great. There are 3 things you need for a good backup.

1. It needs to be automated, if this is something you have to actually do, you won't.
2. It needs to be offsite, this is offsite.
3. It needs to be secure, by choosing your own encryption key, this is secure.

Best part about Mozy, $5/mo, unlimited backups...

easyrider003
06-29-2008, 22:19
My brother in law just had a brand new Hayabusa stolen from him a few months ago.Luckly insurance paid all except about $700. He had had the bike for about 3 months. Sorry for your loss

Eddym67
07-05-2008, 22:16
Sorry for your loss. I have a steel box in my Jeep and Truck that I lock my gun and valuables. Ex wife used to leave her purse on the front seat in my truck. I told her that it was fine, as long as she would clean up the glass and replace the window. She NEVER got the pic. She trusted EVERYONE. GPS EVERYTHING. A guy in Vegas stole 2000 GPS units. Stupid. They turned them on via computer and found his truck in his garage. BUSTED!

Eddym67
07-05-2008, 22:19
My brother in law just had a brand new Hayabusa stolen from him a few months ago.Luckly insurance paid all except about $700. He had had the bike for about 3 months. Sorry for your loss
My Insurance took 11 months to pay for my 30k Harley. I still had to make the payments, as to not screw up my credit. I know the feeling.

digitalman
07-05-2008, 22:20
We should be tougher on thieves, like other countries. Cut off their hand, public lashings, etc. Would definately make them think twice.

CompuDude
07-08-2008, 12:11
We should be tougher on thieves, like other countries. Cut off their hand, public lashings, etc. Would definately make them think twice.

You'd think that, but ever notice how those other countries seem to have no trouble finding people willing to risk getting their hands cut off?

Sasha_K
07-08-2008, 12:23
I too have had my car broken into several times. Enough has been said about that that I'll move onto another topic I see here. Backups.

I work in IT, and I cannot tell you how many times I hear about someone losing data. Good backups are a necessity, not a nicety, you NEED them. I don't work for this company, I just use them and have found they work great. Checkout Online Backup, Data Backup & Remote Backup Solutions from Mozy.com – Welcome (http://mozy.com/). It's an online backup that's fully encrypted, and you get to choose the encryption key if you so choose. Obviously not for everyone, but the for the vast majority, it works great. There are 3 things you need for a good backup.

1. It needs to be automated, if this is something you have to actually do, you won't.
2. It needs to be offsite, this is offsite.
3. It needs to be secure, by choosing your own encryption key, this is secure.

Best part about Mozy, $5/mo, unlimited backups...

The hardest thing about this is the memories - all the pictures and videos you took. I agree - consider an automated backup system for your laptop next time. With laptop, point #2 above may not be necessary, as your home is essentially offsite. If you are not tech savy, consider one of the automated systems. I use Windows Home Server Introducing Windows Home Server (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/default.mspx)

I hope you recover some of your stuff!

diver 85
07-09-2008, 15:02
Whoa, I'd pick another LDS in a safer part of town.......maybe check with the LDS, it might have been them, busuness is slow these days thanks to ST, LP, and others......

TxHockeyGuy
07-09-2008, 18:51
Interesting story here. I got a call from my Apt Complex that my garage door has been open for several days. Realize of course my garage is halfway across the complex and is only used for storage, not my car. Among other things, my Scuba gear is in there. I get there fully expecting to find everything gone. To my great shock, I wasn't missing a thing. It wasn't like this stuff was hidden, it was all out in the open, as were tools, hockey equipment, you name it. I even had a check book sitting right there on a shelf (not any more). Did kind of restore my faith a little bit in humanity.

Bill1979
07-09-2008, 19:34
Make sur you have an external hard drive with your stuff on it. I have two for this kind of event.

bane51031
01-07-2009, 12:35
I back up everything on my computers, not worried about the desktop being stolen but, with the kids you never know what they are going to download or corrupt on your computers.

It does suck when something is stolen, as far as checking the pawnshops that is a fair idea but, having ran a pawnshop in the past (was open for 10 years) I found that most people are not stupid enough to pawn off the items after they are asked for a photo id and a fingerprint ( however I had I had great joy on 4 occasions in 10 years that I was able to call the PD and get the crooks busted), I know not all pawnshops are on the up and up but, would say most are it is their livelyhood and most woulnd't risk the damage to their business,alot of stolen goods are sold on craigslist as mentioned before and you would be amazed how much is done at the local bars between individuals....

WaScubaDude
01-07-2009, 13:35
Always thought it would be great to leave a briefcase with a bit of C-4 and trigger in it in the back seat.
Wouldn't it be just wonderful to be sipping coffee at a cafe, and hear "boom!" You would have to smile.

To all those packing pistols in their cars: Please get a good lock box and bolt it to the floor boards, or get a holster and carry. Don't need more crooks with guns.

nrembis
01-07-2009, 13:54
That sucks dude, a couple years ago my father passed away of pancreatic cancer at 51 and shortly after that my stepmother got robbed. They caught them after a few weeks though, turns out the dumb****s read the obituaries, from the obituary they read my father died of cancer and figured there might have been some drugs left in the house. What a bunch of f**king idiots!

Drewskey
01-07-2009, 15:17
That sucks dude, a couple years ago my father passed away of pancreatic cancer at 51 and shortly after that my stepmother got robbed. They caught them after a few weeks though, turns out the dumb****s read the obituaries, from the obituary they read my father died of cancer and figured there might have been some drugs left in the house. What a bunch of f**king idiots!

When my wife's grandmother passed away, they had someone house sitting 24/7 for that sole reason.

John Yaskowich
01-07-2009, 18:27

When my wife's grandmother passed away, they had someone house sitting 24/7 for that sole reason.
Crooks read both the obituaries and wedding anouncements because for both events (funeral and wedding/reception) the house is likely to be empty. Getting someone to housesit during those is prudent.

At a SF convnetion last year one of the panels was on crime and future crime. A couple of the panelists were police and the question was asked if criminals are learning anything from watching CSI and the like. The answer was "Yes and No" - Some are learning to take precautions about forensic evidence but not following through. Case in point, a rapist who wore a condom, knowing that semen can be used for DNA. Then he discards the used condom in the room wastebasket.

tfriend
02-06-2009, 18:16
A few years ago my dad bought me my first truck. Well I was young and didnt think much. I figured since we lived in a good nieghborhood, nothing would happen. Well One day I left my ipod out in site. My dad woke up at 2:30 in the morning to screaching tires and a car alarm. He woke me up and we ran out to investigate. We didnt see the car but we called it in to the police anyway. At the time my dad was a captain and in charge of the whole traffic division. He called up the police helicopter and asked him to come watch the area. Sure enough they hit another car in the nieghboorhood next to ours and the person got a description of the car. They called it in and long story short the helicopter caught them a few minutes later. well we had to go confront the criminals. we pulled up and the cops had them all out of the car and handcuffed. They popped the trunk and they had subs, radios, ipods every car electronic possible. Well I was young and was really ticked off. So I let the kids,who were about my age maybe a little older have it. They had the dumbest looks on thier faces, it was priceless. I dont think they understood anything I said, they were mexicans, and didnt speak english.From that point on, ive always wanted to be a cop.:smilie40:

fanatique
02-11-2009, 20:04
Nice story, tfriend. So did you eventually become a cop? Or did one better and become a helicopter driver, cos that sure looks like what you are from your avatar. ;)