PDA

View Full Version : How many dives before going on a night dive?

stingray94
06-11-2008, 12:36
Hey guys,
I just got certified 2 weeks ago and one thing that I really want to try before the summer is over is to go night diving. How many dives do you think I need before I will be experienced enough to go night diving? I will go with other experienced divers of course. thanks in advance.

Ryanh1801
06-11-2008, 12:42
I did my first night dive pretty soon after being certified, but diving in Texas lakes during the day is pretty much night diving. I did not find it all that much different. Just make sure to have a good light and a back up light, and a well lit entry and exit. I did get a little vertigo at first siting on the platform, but for me it went away once I got off it and neutral in the water.

CompuDude
06-11-2008, 12:48
As long as you're going with other experienced divers, there's no reason why you can't go fairly soon after your certification, especially if you're excited about it and aren't overly jittery.

Many open water students (4-5 dives) go directly into AOW class (another 4-5 dives), which often includes a night dive as part of the experience, so clearly it's not a problem to start night diving fairly early.

Again, there are some important considerations to night diving, so I'm happy to hear that you're planning to try it in the company of experienced divers first.

harb99
06-11-2008, 13:23
my third dive after being certified was a night dive in Cancun when I was there for spring break

:)

stingray94
06-11-2008, 15:20
Thanks for all of the quick responses. I'm going to go on a few more dives to get more comfortable in the water and then it looks like I will be going on a night dive! Thanks again!

longtailbda
06-11-2008, 15:22
Find an experienced night diver and go for it, better still sign up for a night course so that you can at least have a dive master with you. I would recommend making your first "dark" night dive the 2nd of the evening.

dive10killer
06-11-2008, 15:55
My first night dive was on dive #11.
Since then night diving has become a true passion for me.

Geoff_T
06-11-2008, 16:12
early night dives are not that big a deal as long as you partner with sombody experianced and pay extra attention to safty.

rumblefish
06-11-2008, 16:27
My first night dive was dive number 8. It really depends on how comfortable you are, who you're diving with, and where you are diving.

buddhasummer
06-11-2008, 19:54
pretty early from memory maybe around dive#10(?), going with exp divers is always a good idea regardless of time of day, as others have said a good light is important, get the best light you can afford/borrow and a good back up just in case and youre good to go, night diving is my favourite type of diving, good luck hope you enjoy it.

stingray94
06-11-2008, 20:09
Thanks guys,
is there anything cool to see in New England at night?

chinacat46
06-11-2008, 20:52
I did my first night dive at dive 20 but it could have easily been done earlier. I say go for it when you get a chance.

Splitlip
06-11-2008, 21:51
My first night dive was after dive 100. But it was a little different back then. We did twilight dives, but true night dives were a pain in the ass. There was no GPS.

Protocol was to go out to the site (we are talking 60 footers or more a mile or more off shore) in the day light and set a hook with a surface marker all lit up like a Xmas tree with lights. We used compass bearings off shore landmarks and fish finders.

Dead reacon your way out at night to the general location of the marker, line up the ledge with the fish finder and dive dive dive. then hope to hell you don't land in the sand.

(My deep dive as part of my AOW was 147 ft. :) We missed the ledge but kept on truckin. That was in daylight)

fisheater
06-11-2008, 23:45
My first night dive was #13 (it was part of AOW, off a boat, 85' deep and I had to do a nav assignment). LOVED IT!

Since then, I've gotten my Night Cert. and really look forward to night dives. I'm hoping that I can (a) find a buddy and (b) convince my wife that I wouldn't really be abandoning her for the evening and do a night dive next week on Catalina Island.

My advice:

Get your AOW book and read the section on night diving. That should give you good information and alleviate general anxiety.

Also, dive the place during the day. That will give you a good "mental map" of what's around you and where you are.

Then, have fun!!

Ryanh1801
06-11-2008, 23:47
Also, dive the place during the day. That will give you a good "mental map" of what's around you and where you are.

Then, have fun!!

oh, forgot about that one, good advise.

rawalker
06-12-2008, 03:05
It's kind of like how many licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop...
It depends of when you bite.
But definately do it with experienced divers that are aware that you don't have that experience.
I did my first night dive during my AOW dives. So mine was done with an instructor.

oddbod
06-12-2008, 06:05
As stated previously be comfortable; with your abilities
with your buddies
with the site, best way is to dive it earlier in the day so that it is fresh in your mind.
And don't be afraid to call the dive if you feel uncomfortable, you'll feel better next time.

georoc01
06-12-2008, 16:55
I did my night dive around Dive 13 as part of my AOW. Of course, this was in a cold springs in Santa rosa, NM, where there isn't much to see other than the little red eyes of the tons of crawfish.

Haven't been a big fan of them. Something about watching Tarpon and Jacks hunt off my lights kind of turned me off. Plus my SAC rate seems to go to hell on night dives too.

I did do a really cool one in in Bonaire down at the town pier though.

JimHar99
06-12-2008, 20:19
My first night dive was about dive# 20. I didn't do a night dive for AOW, but I read the Night Dive section of the manual. My buddy had more experience than me. He had already done 2 night dives.

In spite of my primary (rented) light running low half way through the dive, I had a great time. Now I do night dives whenever I get the chance.

ScubaJenn81
06-13-2008, 06:48
I did with with my AOW class, I would say about 20 dives in, but I say as long as you do not overly nervous, go for it. (with someone who has done it before of course)

CompuDude
06-13-2008, 13:38
Checking my logs, my first night dive was #17, during my AOW course.

Great experience. I LOVE night diving.

Travelnsj
06-14-2008, 11:00
My first nite dive was #21.....I'm not a big nite diver except for the Manta nite dive in Kona.....In my top 5 dives!

tricia3909
06-16-2008, 02:58
Just wanted to say I really appreciate your information. I too was curious about this... It seems as though I will be ready to do it when I feel ready to is the general consensus. (In a nut shell)

Also I would like to compliment you all on your lack of arguing on this board. As I have been going through the threads I have noticed more straightforward answers without all the noise! (boy is that refreshing!)

-Tricia

Dieseler
07-05-2008, 22:23
One of my first blue water dives was a night dive. Big difference from what I was used to, but no big deal

Rileybri
07-05-2008, 22:41
I just did my first night dive at dive #11. One of my best and favorite dives yet!

cmburch
07-06-2008, 22:41
I do not remember dive number. I would have to find my first dive log. It was with Truth Aquatics Channel Islands, CA. AOW. There were lobsters walking in a row across the open sand. A diver in front scared one that jetted backward and got stuck in my BC. I freaked a little trying to get it loose. A beautiful and fun dive.

DUnder
07-11-2008, 08:53
I did my first night dive at dive 18, really wanted to do it earlier but it never worked out till later.

Sasha_K
07-11-2008, 09:25
I'm about 20 dives in and haven't gone on my first night dive yet. I will fairly soon though.

rktman26
07-11-2008, 11:02
My first night dive will be next week, during my AOW. Looking forward to that one.

Charles R
07-11-2008, 11:17
As Soon as you feel comfortable in the water and have a good light and a back up. Experienced buddies and or instructor or DM with you.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
07-11-2008, 11:33
My first lake night dive was dive #8. My first ocean night dive was dive #99. My last dive, actually. It was awesome.

If you are familiar with your gear, familiar with the dive site, and familiar with your buddy, there's no reason you can't do a night dive at any point.

Don't attempt new things at night. And I'd make sure to avoid marginal conditions that might still be divable in the day but not advisable at night. You want to make sure conditions are good. You really want an extra margin of safety in the unlikely event that the fit hits the shan.

Truered1
07-14-2008, 21:09
My first night dive was within my first 20. I thought I would be scared to death but wanted to do it. Had butterflies on the way out to the wreck, hesitated a second to relax before jumping in and then away I went. WOW, the moment I hit the water all fears & butterflies were gone and I couldn't wait to go down. It was amazing and I love it. The coral came alive and the sea creatures that hide during the day come out. I like to go as much as I can but until recently most of the night dives were cancelled since true floridians are cold in 72 degree weather. Me I could care less how cold it is, that is why they make different degrees of wet suits. I say go for it as soon as you are comfortable with diving as a whole. Have a good light and camera if you have one.

JillianAnnO
07-14-2008, 21:15
I'm ready for a night dive... I never even thought I'd do a cave dive till my trip last week... now, I'm excited about it and I'm craving the deep dive..... I was certified 6-1 and last week was my first Blue Water Dive.... and before I realized it, I was at 60ft..... I'm craving more but I guess that's what this sport... or as I've come to learn.... this lifestyle.. is all about.... you just crave more and more.

frogman159
07-16-2008, 09:13
Dive #13 in the ocean

dannybot
07-19-2008, 10:23
My first was #8 as part of AOW in Lake Travis, viz was about 6". my first clear water one was # 29 in Grand Cayman, viz 50', what a difference. Since then, I do every night dive I can (also every day dive). Clear water is better than lake water, but the surface is always up!

rktman26
07-20-2008, 18:33
Mine was last night, about dive #35. I put it off, waiting until I had completed AOW. I shouldn't have. My DB and I are both good in the water and handle problems well. I'm kicking myself in the butt for not having dove at night sooner. I may be doing a night, boat, wreck dive this Friday (The only thing new I'm adding is the "night", boat and wreck I've done previously).