PDA

View Full Version : Planning upcoming Dive at Murray

RoadRacer1978
06-11-2008, 15:29
I'm trying to get the Dirty Water divers together for a meet and dive for the first time since we started this club last winter. I would like to get everyone together on Saturday June 28th at Lake Murray.

Has anyone dove Murray lately? If so, what are the current tems and vis?

I hope ya'll can make it out to Murray on the 28th if the conditions are right.

Vercingetorix
06-11-2008, 18:25
The 'Dillos did Murray a few weeks ago. that is, one person of 60 actually went diving because it is COLD. The clubs really gathered there for the Luau and camaraderie with fellow divers. We do it every year. Maybe we all can hook-up next year.

Disneymom
06-11-2008, 21:55
Dwayne - I'd be curious to know conditions there too - I know with all the rain this spring, Tenkiller is bad and I've heard that Beaver isn't much better. It might be worth it to drive over there and make a day trip out of it. At least I was able to get a 'fix' on a recent vacation. I'm to the point of happily wanting/needing to do underwater pool maintenance/cleaning just because it gives me an excuse to gear up....

cowgirldiver
06-12-2008, 11:06
My son did his OW at Murray 1st weekend in May-the water temp was 68 and when I say the vis was 1ft he quickly corrects me to 1 inch. I have to say I was enjoying the sunshine on the boat. We would like to get in at least another dive before we head off to Cozumel so he feels comfy in the water.

RoadRacer1978
06-12-2008, 15:13
I talked to a diver that dove the last two weekends in May. He said that surface temps were 73 degrees and he had 12' vis. Not sure where it is now or what it will be like in a few weeks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

For anyone interested I just sent out the June newsletter. It has all the info on our upcoming dive. All of you are welcome to join us. You can get the newsletter at our website which in in my sig line, then go to past newsletters and bring up the 06/01/08 newsletter. It is a PDF file, so you will need to be able to open those to view it. If you can't get the newsletter up and would like to join us, send me a PM and I'll send you all the details.

CowboyFan&Diver
06-13-2008, 06:40
Roadracer - I live in Ardmore - about 4 miles from Lake Murray. There is a dive shop at Lake Murray Marina called Scuba J's (223-4832). Last weekend the vis. was about 10 feet - not sure on the temp. A good meeting place for your club would be Marietta Landing or the "Steel Tower". At Marietta landing (camping area) - that is where most local divers go and do their open water training. There is a platform at around 20-25 feet. Pretty easy entry. Nice campground area. The steel tower is not too far from there (drive to). At the steel tower - you'd have to either walk/carry gear down a pretty steep hill...which if you do bring a rope...makes it way easier getting your stuff back up the hill. Or you could...COULD...swim to it....long swim though. At the steel tower it's about 80' deep...kind of a neat lake dive though. I haven't been diving at Murray in about two years (shame live so close) but am going in a few weeks. Hope this was a help.

RoadRacer1978
06-21-2008, 19:21
Just a reminder, this is the 1 week countdown. We'l be meeting for the meet and dive next Saturday. Hope to meet some of you there.

I'm all ready. Went today and got my tank filled and bought an extra tank. That brings me up to 2. I'm looking foward to getting lots of dives in next weekend.

Illini_Fan
06-21-2008, 19:31
If only this silly cast wasn't on my hand :( I like Murray and just love the admission fee. You guys have fun.

Soonerwink
06-21-2008, 22:01
I would love to make this dive, it sounds as if it is going to be a blast. I will be at Beaver finishing up my DM. Let us know conditions, I plan on making it to Murray in July.

RoadRacer1978
06-22-2008, 09:37
I'll keep ya'll posted and plan to take my camera, so you'll be able to see pics of our adventure on our website. No fear if you can't make this one. I plan on making this at least a monthly thing. So you can always make another before the weather turns too cold.

Disneymom
06-22-2008, 11:19
We have a prior commitment for that date, darn!

chace_nicole
06-22-2008, 23:20
I will be working 7-7 that day...sorry I will miss meeting & diving with everyone :(

Heres hoping for decent viz! :smiley20:

chace_nicole
06-30-2008, 13:53
Just wondering how it went...I was bummed that I couldn't make it.

Malibu_Tinman
06-30-2008, 18:35
The Meet was a huge success in my book! Attendance was light, but the diving and the divers were great. We put in three dives before the rangers kicked us out due to a coming hail storm.
We dove the usual spot near the landing, then drove down the road to the west side of the tower and dove the west 'park'.
Surface temp was 84 on my 'puter, and very tolerable down to 40 feet. Vis was variable: about 20 feet by the shore (?!?!?) down to hand-holding in a few places. Generally we had 6-12 feet around the platforms.
Great job, Dwayne, getting it all organized!

RoadRacer1978
07-07-2008, 10:01
I agree, the meet was a great success. We got to dive and make some new friends. Hopefully some of you that missed out this time will be able to make the next dive. As Tinman stated we made 3 dives and the conditions were pretty good for us Dirty Water Divers. I'll keep everyone posted on our next meet.