PDA

View Full Version : Talc

skdvr
06-12-2008, 08:43
Do most of you DS divers talc your seals? If so do you do it just for storage or do you also talc them between dives when it is hot and you are sweaty? Any good source for getting talc. I have tried looking at Walgreens and other stores but I can only find stuff with fragrences and other stuff in them. Not just 100% talc...

Thanks
Phil

Charles R
06-12-2008, 08:53
I use talc between dives and when I store my suit. I buy it on ebay there are always good cheap sources on there. Another option is either REI in their rock climbing section or you local friendly billiards store they both will carry 100% talc in the unscented variety. or you could Bug Larry to start carrying talc so we could order it from him with a 10% disc!:smiley20:

MSilvia
06-12-2008, 09:40
I use it every time I dry my suit out. I'm not sure why, but I seem to have fewer leaks with powdered seals, and I definately get fewer neck rashes.

skdvr
06-12-2008, 10:01
Thanks guys... After diving last weekend when it was 90+ degrees outside I felt like it was really stretching and pulling on my wrist seals trying to get them over sweaty sticky hands and wrist. I would assume that the talc would help to lessen the strain on them, as well as help preserve the seals...

Thanks

Phil

MSilvia
06-12-2008, 10:24
I felt like it was really stretching and pulling on my wrist seals trying to get them over sweaty sticky hands and wrist.
Just a suggestion Phil, but you might consider putting on thin fabric gloves (like dry glove liners) first. The seals will slide right over them, and then you can pull the liners off almost effortlessly.

skdvr
06-12-2008, 10:52
I felt like it was really stretching and pulling on my wrist seals trying to get them over sweaty sticky hands and wrist.
Just a suggestion Phil, but you might consider putting on thin fabric gloves (like dry glove liners) first. The seals will slide right over them, and then you can pull the liners off almost effortlessly.

I actaully did this for my second and third dive last weekend... It worked great for keeping the drygloves equalized with my suit, and helped with getting the seals both on and off... I just ordered some glove liners from Seattle marine and I am not sure if I will be able to do that with them though. I was considering just putting one layer of the polypro liners I am using now under these glove liners so that I can keep them under the seals. I just do not know if there will be room in the new liners for a layer under them. Who knows these new liners may be long enough to do it with.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Phil

cummings66
06-13-2008, 10:36
I may try the poly liners, mine are a bit thick but the waters are getting warm enough to not need real liners now. My last dive at Table Rock this past weekend I did it with no gloves at all.

CompuDude
06-13-2008, 13:55
No talc for me.

There have been reports that talc gets into your valves and can cause issues.

But I simply don't really need it, nor have I ever really noted any real benefit to using it the few times I tried it.

texdiveguy
06-13-2008, 14:10
I don't like to use talc for storage or putting ds on.

I use a mix of water and baby shampoo and spray a very lt. hit inside my wrist seals prior to putting suit on.....will hit it again on the wrist area prior to removing the suit.