PDA

View Full Version : Zeagle Razor pony system

clymber
06-12-2008, 14:57
Anyone here use the Zeagle razor pony system? What do you think of this versus the spare air? I'm looking for a small redundant air source for travel, and feel like 6cf would be more useful than the 3cf spare air. Plus, it's a little more flexible as I can attach the same reg to a 13 or 19cf pony when I'm diving locally.

Yes, I know, even 6cf is not enough air for a leisurely ascent and safety stop, but it would still get me to the surface (or safety line) in a more controlled manner than nothing at all.

Any thoughts?

skdvr
06-12-2008, 15:21
If I am only choosing between the spare air and the zeagle, I would choose the zeagle for the reason that you already pointed out. More Air...

Phil

dive10killer
06-12-2008, 15:37
Stay away from spare air.
Go with pony 13cf and larger

MSilvia
06-12-2008, 15:43
it would still get me to the surface (or safety line) in a more controlled manner than nothing at all.

If I'm hungry, a handfull of live grubs is better than nothing, but I wouldn't pick it from a menu.

It's not like a 6cf backup is your only option. Why would you choose to buy a system that only looks good when compared to no system at all, instead of choosing a system that will comfortably meet your needs for a comparable price?

That said, the razor looks fine, but I don't think it makes as much sense to me as a standard valve and first stage that I can put on any tank at any time, or even use as a primary reg set for the next dive if something goes wrong with the one I'm using. This seems especially true since there isn't a substantial cost, weight, or space savings with the less flexible razor system, which is pretty much married to the tank it's installed on.

Just by way of comparison, getting a pony in your choice of sizes from ScubaToys... 6, 19, or 30cf would cost $104. If you add a Mares MR12 Rebel reg for $199 and a $50 pony gauge with hose, you have a complete spare reg set and pony for $354.

If you got the same size tank with a Razor, it would cost $369, $379, or $396 depending on the size you picked.

Spending extra for less seems like a silly idea to me.

Crimediver
06-12-2008, 20:27
Msilvia is right on.

longtailbda
06-12-2008, 20:39
it would still get me to the surface (or safety line) in a more controlled manner than nothing at all.

If I'm hungry, a handfull of live grubs is better than nothing, but I wouldn't pick it from a menu.

It's not like a 6cf backup is your only option. Why would you choose to buy a system that only looks good when compared to no system at all, instead of choosing a system that will comfortably meet your needs for a comparable price?

That said, the razor looks fine, but I don't think it makes as much sense to me as a standard valve and first stage that I can put on any tank at any time, or even use as a primary reg set for the next dive if something goes wrong with the one I'm using. This seems especially true since there isn't a substantial cost, weight, or space savings with the less flexible razor system, which is pretty much married to the tank it's installed on.

Just by way of comparison, getting a pony in your choice of sizes from ScubaToys... 6, 19, or 30cf would cost $104. If you add a Mares MR12 Rebel reg for $199 and a $50 pony gauge with hose, you have a complete spare reg set and pony for $354.

If you got the same size tank with a Razor, it would cost $369, $379, or $396 depending on the size you picked.

Could not say it better myself. if you had asked this question just a few days ago I'd have recommended the dacor trainer and save and additional $100.
If you look around you are bound to find a better system for less money than the zeagle.

DougNR
06-13-2008, 05:57
I went with a Razor on a 19cf pony.

While I can't argue with the points made in favor of simply going with a standard valve, there are advantages to using the Razor as your pony valve. I like the fact it is less prone to entanglement. I really don't feel a need to do much valve or octo swapping in any case since I put an Octo-Z inflator on my Brigade BC. I tend to leave the pony behind for shallower dives and use the pony rig deep.

Just another opinion...

Doug

MSilvia
06-13-2008, 08:32
I like the fact it is less prone to entanglement.
I suppose you can argue that it's somewhat less prone to entanglement, but I've never once had any entanglement trouble with standard valves on secondary cylinders... even when diving with multiple slung bottles. Even if there was an entanglement, IMHO it would be one of the easiest possible entanglement locations to clear... unless you back mount your pony.

DougNR
06-13-2008, 09:08
I like the fact it is less prone to entanglement.
I suppose you can argue that it's somewhat less prone to entanglement, ... unless you back mount your pony.

Bingo. I use the soft Zeagle mounting bands. This is one of those requirement with several acceptable solutions. If I were slinging the bottle I might have gone the same way you did.

Regards,

Doug

diver-wife
06-13-2008, 12:48

very very true, ST did have the dacor trainer pro for $99, even cheaper, not sure if that is still available

diver-wife
06-13-2008, 12:49

Could not say it better myself. if you had asked this question just a few days ago I'd have recommended the dacor trainer and save and additional $100.
If you look around you are bound to find a better system for less money than the zeagle.

never mind, I should read the entire thread prior to posting

clymber
06-13-2008, 14:23
Sounds like good advice. I hadn't actually considered the benefits of having a whole 2nd reg set. With that in mind, the standard reg set does seem to outweigh (so to speak) the razor system in regards to flexibility and cost effectiveness.

Thanks!

MSilvia
06-13-2008, 15:44
No problem. Let us know how it works out for you.

scootermcfly
06-15-2008, 09:25
I like the looks of the Razor and that its made by Zeagle, but the cost and flexibility makes a difference to me. If I had to use my pony reg for a pool dive I would just move my gauges over and it would be good to go...razor would be a bit more work but still possible.

Grin
06-16-2008, 08:41
I had a razor settup for a short time. It just wasn't for me. I use a regular yoke style reg on my pony now. When you get a pony it can be a good reason to turn your old reg into the pony reg, and get yourself a new primary. That's what I did. My old reliable Sherwood Magnum became my pony reg and I bought a couple Zeagle Flatheads for primaries.
The filler adapter and the small knobs etc... on the Razor look like a great idea, but in reality they are kind of uneccessary and it strays from the KISS and super basic theory.

dive10killer
06-19-2008, 21:29
The razor looks cool....but I would stick with a standard type valve and regs.