PDA

View Full Version : How to Best Remove a Tank Valve and Boot

badfrog88
08-07-2007, 14:31
What is the best/easiest way to remove a tank valve and boot?
I need to scrap my tank.

Thanks

mike_s
08-07-2007, 14:38
to remove a valve...

1.) drain tank..
2.) take a rubber mallet and lightly tap the valve handle to rotate it counter-clockwise. if installed properly, it should come right off.

to remove boot, use same rubber mallet and tap around boot and it will wiggle off.

If you don't have a rubber mallet, get a spare small piece of a wood 2x4 and hold it up to the valve and then tap on the 2x4 with a regular hammer. shouldn't cause any damage.

ScubaToys Larry
08-07-2007, 14:40
The odds of saving the boot are slim. They normally stretch, or crack when taking them off... but sitting in a bucket of very hot water.

Valve, with all the air out try just hitting the handle with the palm of your hand to unscrew it. If that doesn't work.. out comes the big crescent.

badfrog88
08-07-2007, 14:41
Thanks Mike,

Using a mallet on the valve was not something I would even have considered.

ScaredSilly
08-07-2007, 14:55
Ditto what Larry said if the valve does not unscrew with a palm smack use an adjustable wrench. It that does not work hit the wrench with a rubber mallet - DO NOT hit the valve (unless you are scrapping it or want to damage it).

BSea
08-07-2007, 15:03
It may not be the best way, but I use the rubber mallet also. Now I don't hit it hard, in fact next time I'll try using my hand.

ScaredSilly
08-07-2007, 15:09
I figure that if it does not come off with a nice palm smack that it aint coming off without a wrench. A wrench provides a larger lever and will take less a whack than tying to do the same by hitting the valve.

DirtyWaterIL
08-07-2007, 16:07
stand on boot, pull up on valve, and try to avoid the crotch region when the tank comes free.

badfrog88
08-07-2007, 16:22
Ditto what Larry said if the valve does not unscrew with a palm smack use an adjustable wrench. It that does not work hit the wrench with a rubber mallet - DO NOT hit the valve (unless you are scrapping it or want to damage it).

Too late! A very lite tap with the mallet and the valve loosened. A few taps also got the boot off. I don't think I'll reuse either.

The tank was scrapped for $11.20. Better than nothing, I guess.

Kent

mike_s
08-07-2007, 16:51
The tank was scrapped for $11.20. Better than nothing, I guess.

Damn... you didn't waste any time did you?

(still think you could have made it into a cool lamp... :D )

BSea
08-07-2007, 16:54

I've heard of making them into bells, but not lamps. I've seen a few shops cut the tops off the tanks to display regs.

badfrog88
08-07-2007, 16:59
I needed the cash for a movie. :smilie40: I thought about making a mailbox out of it, but I don't have the tools to cut and drill holes in the tank.

mike_s
08-07-2007, 17:20

I've heard of making them into bells, but not lamps. I've seen a few shops cut the tops off the tanks to display regs.

here ya go...

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/mikes2006/misc_images/scuba-tank-lamp_small.jpg

I needed the cash for a movie. :smilie40: I thought about making a mailbox out of it, but I don't have the tools to cut and drill holes in the tank.

We discussed that as a joke, but would be a pain the ass to cut it out right and to keep the mail dry afterwards. (with water running in the seams).

maybe we should start a thread on "best non scuba use for a tank? "

cummings66
08-09-2007, 18:11
You know when it comes to the boots, after a day of diving in 96 degree weather those boots are so soft they barely stay on the tank anyhow. I've actually pulled them off by hand when they're that soft, another possible easy way to remove them without heating up water. It is Summer now you know...