PDA

View Full Version : Peeing and Scuba Diving

Wetnurse28
06-13-2008, 03:02
This is strange topic but for some reason while diving I feel like I have just taken Lasix. I urinate it seems every hour.

I have not changed any habits.

GONNA MAKE SURE MY DRY SUIT COMES WITH A PEE VALVE!!!:smilie39:

reactive
06-13-2008, 07:03
DAN Divers Alert Network : Immersion Diuresis (Urge to Urinate) (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=165)

Vercingetorix
06-13-2008, 07:45
Ahh...but there's nothing like that warm, comforting feeling when peeing in a wetsuit in 60+ degree water.

Two rules:
1) Pee in the wetsuit, spit in the mask. Not vice versa
2) Do not pee in the wetsuit before entering or after exiting.

mitsuguy
06-13-2008, 07:50
Ahh...but there's nothing like that warm, comforting feeling when peeing in a wetsuit in 60+ degree water.

Two rules:

this is kinda related...

if you know you have peed in the wetsuit, please before you get out of the water, open the neck seal and take in as much water as possible, a couple times, to flush it out - there is nothing worse than sitting in a car with someone who still smells like pee...

thesmoothdome
06-13-2008, 08:24
This is strange topic but for some reason while diving I feel like I have just taken Lasix. I urinate it seems every hour.

The good news is that you'll find your urge to pee lessened in a dry suit.

jj1987
06-13-2008, 08:51

The good news is that you'll find your urge to pee lessened in a dry suit.
Yup, unless I'm going to be in the water for 4+hours in a day, or a dive will be longer than an hour, I don't even "hook up" my pee valve.

wgt
06-13-2008, 09:15

Thesmoothdome is correct.

As the immersion-induced diuresis reflects constriction of peripheral blood vessels in reaction to the cooling effects of the water, you may actually find that the dry suit will offer some protection against the urinary phenomenon. Warmer skin means less constriction of peripheral blood vessels. Less constriction of peripheral blood vessels means less fluid being redirected to the larger central blood vessels. Less fluid in the larger central blood vessels means less urinary output. Less urinary output means happy diving.

cummings66
06-13-2008, 10:26
I find I need to pee more in a drysuit than in a wetsuit. I don't know why but it is true for me and I added a P-Valve for that. In fact, I'll often pee 2 or 3 times during a dive just because I can.

For right now it may be because of pressure. I have a "boggy prostate" that I'm being treated for at the moment and I wonder if it somehow reacts to pressure and releases it's grip allowing me to pee easier? At any rate, I find it easier to pee in the water than on land right now and the P-Valve makes me so much more happy. No more worry about stinking wetsuits, etc.

DaneMeyer20
06-13-2008, 11:01
I can honestly say i have never even seen anyone in a dry suit, how does the pee valve work?

DollFin
06-13-2008, 12:04
Gee, we just don't seem to have enough threads about peeing here. LOL!!!

CompuDude
06-13-2008, 13:06
I can honestly say i have never even seen anyone in a dry suit, how does the pee valve work?

An adhesive condom catheter (like a condom with a big hole in the tip where you connect a tube) connects to a short tube which connects to the outside of the drysuit. It's that simple.

There may or may not be a check valve to stop water flow, depending on the design. There is an external bolt used to seal off the opening.

Personally, I don't feel the urge to "go" in my drysuit nearly as much as in my wetsuit, where the urge often strikes as soon as I get in the water. Long dives can still be rough, though... I really need to get that p-valve out of my closet and installed to my suit!

Makai
06-13-2008, 14:50
I'm with CompuDude and thesmoothdome. I don't feel the urge to pee when I'm wearing a drysuit, but if I'm in a wetsuit I have to go the minute I hit the water. Hey, isn't that why they call them wetsuits?

rumblefish
06-13-2008, 15:13
I really try hard to not pee in my wetsuit. I think it's the number 1 reason why wetsuits stink so much. On my recent trip to Bonaire I managed to get through the whole vacation without peeing in the suit. Let's just say it wasn't easy and it seemed like I peed everywhere else but my wetsuit. Luckily, Bonaire has a lot of wooded areas around the different shore dives.

thesmoothdome
06-13-2008, 19:52
This sounds horrible, but I don't care what my wet suit smells like while I'm diving or at the end of a dive. I don't even care what it smells like on the way home from diving. I can't smell it when I'm diving and it'll get a good soaking when I get home.

dive10killer
06-13-2008, 21:12
I have never peed in my wetsuit. Luckly I have a huge bladder. I guess its from all those years sitting in a treestand Hunting.Holding it till I got back to the truck. I usually only go about 3-4 times a day.

cummings66
06-14-2008, 10:53
I tend to hydrate myself very well when I dive so I go quite often, especially in a drysuit because I know I won't have to do much cleaning. Just run a mix through the P-Valve tubing when I'm done and things are good to go. I actually drink much more water in a drysuit, in fact I carry those Capri Suns in my pocket and drink a couple of them while I do my dive. Apple Juice is my favorite, so yup, I'm well hydrated and go quite often since it's so easy.

Wetnurse28
06-14-2008, 15:33
That was a very informative article as to why we have to go so much in the water.

Glad to hear that I am not the only one with the problem.

I have not bought a drysuit yet but I am looking real hard at the
Whites Fusion Tech Skin (gonna add the pee valve to that)

hooligan
06-15-2008, 19:45
I have not bought a drysuit yet but I am looking real hard at the
Whites Fusion Tech Skin (gonna add the pee valve to that)

That suit looks awesome. I hope I can get one of those sooner than later.

Flfiremedic
06-15-2008, 20:02
Never eat asparagras and pee in a wetsuit!

cajunfla
06-17-2008, 05:10
All these replys make me glad I live where the water is about 83F year round. Swimsuit and t-shirt diving for me!!

LRDWILDER
06-17-2008, 13:07
I'm reminded of the old saying....."there are 2 types of divers....those who pee in there wetsuit and those who lie about not peeing in there wetsuit!"

crgjpg
06-17-2008, 18:36
I thought it was odd that I had to urinate while diving eventhough I had went just before diving. I am also glad to know that I am not the only one to wet my wetsuit.

whitworthsa
06-17-2008, 19:14
I thought it was odd that I had to urinate while diving eventhough I had went just before diving. I am also glad to know that I am not the only one to wet my wetsuit.

You're definitely not the only one. I have a theory that the people that don't pee in their wetsuits are the same people that wear something under them. That's the only possible reason I could see for not peeing in the wetsuit and even then...

Beaucoupfishies
06-17-2008, 19:18
Temperature does seem to have a lot to do with it. When I was diving in 82 degree water this weekend I never really had to go, but back a few months ago in a spring where it was 70, I had to go constantly.

Back then it was a rental suit too :smiley2:

Liv7301
06-17-2008, 22:30
Pardon me while a I briefly crash your man zone...

I don't mind saying in any company that I pee in my wetsuit. If I have to go I am going so that I can continue to enjoy the rest of my dive. I don't pee for warmth, just sweet relief. I am also very aware of flushing out my suit though. I won't get out until I make sure that I have pulled away the neck and collected a huge amount of water in the upper body of my suit that can rinse through the lower half. I have been peeing in my wetsuit for over a year and it's still completely odor free.

And if you ever dive with me, we even have an underwater signal for it. Just ask Foo2, because now its a staple with the whole Foo Family!

cummings66
06-18-2008, 07:40
I have a theory that the people that don't pee in their wetsuits are the same people that wear something under them. That's the only possible reason I could see for not peeing in the wetsuit and even then...

I wore swim trunks under my wetsuit and I pee'd in mine, never had an issue doing that.

matt151617
06-18-2008, 11:25
I went diving in 58 degree water. I decided to wear a 2mm shorty under my 7mm... and of course I had to pee at some point during the day. Well, the 2mm traps the pee against you and it can't leak out. Definitely not cool to be walking around in piss soup. The only option was to unzip the 7mm, then flood the 2mm and let 58 degree water in. That SUCKS.

highdesert
06-18-2008, 13:09
An adhesive condom catheter (like a condom with a big hole in the tip where you connect a tube) connects to a short tube which connects to the outside of the drysuit. It's that simple.

So ... does that mean if you dive deep, the external pressure will cause the system to run in reverse, and you blow up like a water balloon?

Hey, what do I know ... I dive wet! :smiley36:

CompuDude
06-18-2008, 13:46

So ... does that mean if you dive deep, the external pressure will cause the system to run in reverse, and you blow up like a water balloon?

Hey, what do I know ... I dive wet! :smiley36:

No, because (a) water doesn't compress (worth discussing, at least), and you are mostly water, and (b) your drysuit is filled with pressurized air from your tank, just like your regs. It's all nice and balanced out.

longtailbda
06-18-2008, 18:46

Two rules:

Great rules I'll keep them in mind.
I don't need that warm feeling @ 60+ degrees; It's when it's 40 that I need it unfortunately @ 40 I couldn't go if I had to. :smiley5:

Devin27
06-18-2008, 23:00
I think there should be a rule, temps above 60 degrees is a no pee zone. Below 60 is a free zone, and dont drink the water below 50 degrees

CFDAlden
06-19-2008, 00:07
I never had until last weekend. I hit a thermocline, water temps went from 55 to 49, and it was like opening a faucet. :P

The good news is I now know where the comfort zone is in a 7mm 1 piece. :) 49 is NOT comfortable.

mjcoyne
06-19-2008, 10:39
I still have yet to pee in my suit - its a semi-dry so I dont think it would go over well when I surfaced and cracked the leg seal all over the boat deck:smiley2:

pyrotech
06-19-2008, 16:59
Most commercial dive boats I've been on don't have a head worth mentioning, and I'm not peeing overboard in front of a bunch of other people. It's the suit, or bust. (Since I try to stay well-hydrated, the "bust" would be pretty spectacular.)

david_57
06-19-2008, 17:38
Ahhh but it feels so good when you finally are able to go in your wetsuit

cmburch
06-19-2008, 18:18
I stay in the water for a few hours each time and my new suit does not rinse, so it will be like sitting/standing in my own pee for hours then the smell - yuck! I will get a zipper installed and have 2 overlapping pieces of material that cover the zipper. It may be a little cold to pull it out in the water, but I can also climb up on a rock to relieve myself. And I will not have to pull my top down in the head. This way I can stay in the water longer and not be forced back to shore due to having to go.

http://spearboard.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=77084&d=1213257276

DallasMarineBio
06-21-2008, 14:42
Someone mentioned that they like to pee more through the P valve in their drysuit "because they can" ...I find myself peeing much more whenever I do a cave dive at Ginnie springs because I know that just downstream Dannon is bottling that water and selling it to yuppies who are too good to drink out of the tap.

It is perversely interesting to me to know that just maybe when you see someone drinking a bottle of Dannon water that a molecule of my urine might be in there :)

...I suspect I'm not the only one...

cowgirldiver
06-21-2008, 18:03
Someone mentioned that they like to pee more through the P valve in their drysuit "because they can" ...I find myself peeing much more whenever I do a cave dive at Ginnie springs because I know that just downstream Dannon is bottling that water and selling it to yuppies who are too good to drink out of the tap.

It is perversely interesting to me to know that just maybe when you see someone drinking a bottle of Dannon water that a molecule of my urine might be in there :)

...I suspect I'm not the only one...
okay-taking the Dannon water off the shopping list. Anyone else want to fess up so I know what bottle water I should or should not buy.....

DallasMarineBio
06-22-2008, 18:13
okay-taking the Dannon water off the shopping list. Anyone else want to fess up so I know what bottle water I should or should not buy.....

Actually boycotting these brands is a good thing- the industry is totally unregulated and many of these water producers are doing quite a bit of harm to their local spring ecosystems by removing so much water from the aquifers that they are left with lower flows, and are thus unable to flush out all the phosphate/nitrates being dumped into them by the huge agribusinesses- once gorgeous caves are now dark, dirty, disgusting places and their unique ecosystems lost forever...

So if you are ever in Ginnie springs, pee in the water! Teach em' a lesson! (well maybe not so much a lesson- but you still get your own juvenile satisfaction from peeing in someone's drinking water!)

tricia3909
06-22-2008, 19:17
The REAL reason it is called a wet suit! lol

Iceguy4
07-07-2008, 21:27
Hi,
I take objection to the saying 2 kinds of people...bla bla bla. I got news for you ...there are three kinds of people and that includes me...I will not pee in mysuit ever again. I bought a drysuit with a pee valve. I now hyrate myself properly where i didn't' in the past, and if i ever dive wet again, i will install a pee valve in it too. as for people who pee in rentals:smiley30:...one reason I will never rent. One 200 mile ride home with the smell of pee in my boots ...suit, and I've tried everything and the smell persits. I got new, and have never done i since never never never will i pee in my suit again.:smiley11:

CompuDude
07-08-2008, 15:10
Hi,
I take objection to the saying 2 kinds of people...bla bla bla. I got news for you ...there are three kinds of people and that includes me...I will not pee in mysuit ever again. I bought a drysuit with a pee valve. I now hyrate myself properly where i didn't' in the past, and if i ever dive wet again, i will install a pee valve in it too. as for people who pee in rentals:smiley30:...one reason I will never rent. One 200 mile ride home with the smell of pee in my boots ...suit, and I've tried everything and the smell persits. I got new, and have never done i since never never never will i pee in my suit again.:smiley11:

If you pee, you need to rinse immediately upon exiting the water, and ideally, flush the wetsuit with water (open your neck a bit) before you actually exit.

Yes, if you stew in it, you're asking for exactly what you got.

Incidentally, InstaDry suits don't retain odor like the Nylon-coated suits do. Definitely a plus. :smiley20:

mitsuguy
07-08-2008, 19:39
If you pee, you need to rinse immediately upon exiting the water, and ideally, flush the wetsuit with water (open your neck a bit) before you actually exit.

I do that every time I dive.... couple flushes and it's all clean water :)

DollFin
07-09-2008, 00:23

I have a friend who lives right up the road from Devil's Den and a few of the other springs near Williston. She was commenting the other day how good her tap water is because it comes right from the springs. I started laughing and asked her "Um, what do a lot of DIVERS do while they are in those springs??? (She used to be a diver herself). I could almost see the lightbulb come on and the look of mortification over the phone! She was like, "DAMMIT, you HAD to tell me that,d idn't you???" I was rolling!!

mm_dm
07-09-2008, 07:28

I have a friend who lives right up the road from Devil's Den and a few of the other springs near Williston. She was commenting the other day how good her tap water is because it comes right from the springs. I started laughing and asked her "Um, what do a lot of DIVERS do while they are in those springs??? (She used to be a diver herself). I could almost see the lightbulb come on and the look of mortification over the phone! She was like, "DAMMIT, you HAD to tell me that,d idn't you???" I was rolling!!

Being evil has its' rewards, doesn't it? Bwahahahahahahaha:smilie39:

vine2130
10-21-2009, 16:58
i'm new to scuba diving. i had my first 2 open water dives today and i couldn't last 1/2 an hour in the water without have to get out and go. it was clear and copious all the time. i tried going in my wet suit but my mind wouldn't let me. i'm thinking maybe the suit was too tight or something. any advice??? I'm loving diving and want it to be comfortable not painful kicking into shore on a full bladder.

mitsuguy
10-21-2009, 17:00
i'm new to scuba diving. i had my first 2 open water dives today and i couldn't last 1/2 an hour in the water without have to get out and go. it was clear and copious all the time. i tried going in my wet suit but my mind wouldn't let me. i'm thinking maybe the suit was too tight or something. any advice??? I'm loving diving and want it to be comfortable not painful kicking into shore on a full bladder.

you have to stop moving... good buoyancy is key to this, for me at least...

clavicl3
10-21-2009, 17:24
never have, never will! I'm really going to be upset the day I have to. hope it never happens.

Splitlip
10-21-2009, 17:48
Dead thread. No points for post count.

Was nice to see Karen again however.

Anyone know how or where she is.

rednose83
10-21-2009, 18:16

Just relax. It will come.

Tekdivr
10-21-2009, 20:09
There is nothing wrong with peeing in your wetsuit. Diving in cold water, you will actually learn to appreciate it! Anyone that doesn't do it is either improperly hydrated or very uncomfortable when exiting the water.

Splitlip
10-21-2009, 21:04
There is nothing wrong with peeing in your wetsuit. Diving in cold water, you will actually learn to appreciate it! Anyone that doesn't do it is either improperly hydrated or very uncomfortable when exiting the water.

Or lying. (Except for me. I just won't do it. Loaned a wetsuit to a guy once....and that's all I have to say about that)

Tekdivr
10-21-2009, 22:12

Or lying. (Except for me. I just won't do it. Loaned a wetsuit to a guy once....and that's all I have to say about that)

Yep, I forgot to mention the lying claus, and that goes for you too! :smilie39:

TJDiver
10-22-2009, 07:12

you have to stop moving... good buoyancy is key to this, for me at least...

Yep...for my son's first couple dives after cert, he would be flipping along and all of a sudden realize I wasn't right there with him. He would turn to see me hovering pretty much motionless, and come to check on me. I would give him the "OK" signal, and he would look at me very puzzled. Back on the surface, I would let him know what I was doing. Now, when he sees me stop like that, he gives me a wide berth....same for me when I see him in the "position". :smiley36:

Linger
10-22-2009, 09:36
At the end of every dive, I strip off my gear and piss off the back of the boat. (or, as near to 100ft from shore as I can get if on land...I don't usually make it as far from the water as my wilderness training dictates)
I know of two other people who don't pee in their suits: a very good friend who windsurfs more then he dives and feels the uric acid is not good for neoprene. And my partner, who's tried but can't. She's had to jump back in the water after a dive, in bikini sans wetsuit and hang off the boat to pee.
Seems every boat I've been on, I'm we're the only two with full bladders after we get out.

Linger
10-22-2009, 09:42
and I'm not peeing overboard in front of a bunch of other people.
Huh. Think of it this way: as soon as you do, they'll all start talking about how their the first in the water so they can pee, and that they stay under so long just to enjoy peeing a bit more.
You'd think it gets old, but I did a week in Cozumel earlier this year and even on the last day, as soon as I went (and these are small boats) the rest of the group would start up into it...:smiley20:

reeldive
10-22-2009, 09:48
We had a female dive master that would stand on the dive platform and rinse her bikini bottom with the raw water wash down for about 5 minutes while giving a dive briefing. Wounder wht that was all about???``

SEMO Scuba
10-22-2009, 10:01
I pee and I dive, just not at the same time. Out of 84 dives, I peed in suit only 1 time. I usually hit the head just before I suit up for a dive. It sure would be convenient if a wetsuit had a zipper fly.

TJDiver
10-22-2009, 10:23
I pee and I dive, just not at the same time. Out of 84 dives, I peed in suit only 1 time. I usually hit the head just before I suit up for a dive. It sure would be convenient if a wetsuit had a zipper fly.

Oh man...quite the opposite for me...I'd be hard pressed to remember a dive where I didn't pee while in the water. Diving and peeing are about as natural, and necessary, a combo for me, as pizza and beer. Hmmmm...beer...waitaminute, I think I just had an epiphany... :smiley36:

CompuDude
10-22-2009, 12:44
I have a pee valve on my drysuit that I almost never bother to hook up. So I just hold it.

Put me in a wetsuit, though, and I'm a fricking faucet.

Once nice thing about InstaDry wetsuits is they rinse clean and don't retain any odors. So a lot of the downsides just don't apply.

clavicl3
10-22-2009, 14:00
We had a female dive master that would stand on the dive platform and rinse her bikini bottom with the raw water wash down for about 5 minutes while giving a dive briefing. Wounder wht that was all about???``

That's just wrong. you're on the boat, go use the facilities!

On the beach before a dive, I once this guy in a old, yellow-green wetsuit that had a zipper fly. His gear also looked ancient, and he went without a dive buddy. That suit was so ugly. Do they still make suits with fly zippers?

newjersey diver55
10-22-2009, 14:23
we dont count it as a logged dive if you dont pee!
everyone I know goes everytime they hit the water, sometimes you have to concentrate, but after the first few times it happens pretty naturally. Its also good incentive to wash your gear as soon as you get back to the dock!!

TJDiver
10-22-2009, 14:37
Like they say on the islands, mon...don't worry, pee happy. :smilie39:

Tekdivr
10-22-2009, 17:36
Like they say on the islands, mon...don't worry, pee happy. :smilie39:

:smilie39::smiley36::smilie39: Love it!!

Splitlip
10-22-2009, 17:43
Having to "go" is an animal frailty to which I do not subscribe. I am a human being and choose not to succumb.

Donkey
10-22-2009, 18:25
Peeing in your wetsuit is just nasty:smiley5::smiley29:. Did it once because I was deperate.
You can try to flush it out while diving but you wont make any friends when you take off the wetsuit.

This is why I dive in a nice pair of boardshorts. I can pee all the time!:smiley30:

How nice it is to dive in tropical water

CompuDude
10-22-2009, 19:11

On the beach before a dive, I once this guy in a old, yellow-green wetsuit that had a zipper fly. His gear also looked ancient, and he went without a dive buddy. That suit was so ugly. Do they still make suits with fly zippers?

a) not all boats have facilities

b) yes, they're called relief zippers, and any custom suit (and any custom drysuit) can be made with one, or one could be added to pretty much any suit. They're only intended for use on dry land, so you don't have to strip off your whole suit just to go.

Splitlip
10-22-2009, 19:21

a) not all boats have facilities

b) yes, they're called relief zippers, and any custom suit (and any custom drysuit) can be made with one, or one could be added to pretty much any suit. They're only intended for use on dry land, so you don't have to strip off your whole suit just to go.

Not to be confused with a relief tube on military aircraft. (no, it is not a bomb sight)

CompuDude
10-22-2009, 19:30
Not to be confused with a relief tube on military aircraft. (no, it is not a bomb sight)

Depends on how you define "bomb". :smiley36:

Puddle Dipper
10-23-2009, 08:28
I pee, therefore I be

clavicl3
10-23-2009, 13:37
I pee, therefore I be

I hold, therefore I am cold.

reeldive
10-24-2009, 08:57

Nor is it the emergency microphone. Once got a new maintainer to try checking it out. Was able to draw quite a crowd befor he caught on. Needles to say I had to run.

Splitlip
10-24-2009, 09:22

Nor is it the emergency microphone. Once got a new maintainer to try checking it out. Was able to draw quite a crowd befor he caught on. Needles to say I had to run.

Priceless!