PDA

View Full Version : Pre-existing conditions and diving

RikRaeder
06-13-2008, 18:24
At a family gathering the other day, I was thinking about my dearly departed Uncle C. Uncle C got into diving some years ago, and was shortly thereafter diagnosed with a heart condition and given only a few years to live. C, being an otherwise very fit gentleman, got into Scuba diving, and spent his remaining years traveling the globe diving. He died in bed, at home a couple of years after he started diving.
My question is; if he had disclosed his pre-existing medical condition on the diving questionaire would an operator still have taken him? Although he was a generally honest and upright guy, I have the feeling he probably didn't disclose it. Could he have?

Vercingetorix
06-13-2008, 18:47
If he has a cert card, that's all that's asked for by the operator. Sometimes, not even that. That decision is between patient and doctor. Because I was 55 when I started, I put myself through a stress test and the cardiologist blessed my participation.

RikRaeder
06-13-2008, 20:21
Some of the ops that I've used have customers fill out a brief medical questionaire. Most of the shops I dive with when travelling are Japanese shops, though. Anyone else run into such questionaires? Perhaps since my uncle dove mainly in Hawaii and Mexico, it wasn't an issue. How would ops feel about such a situation? Would you let him dive if he said, "hey, I have a heart condition so if I croak underwater it's probably not going to be diving related."

captain
06-14-2008, 11:32
I had heart bypass surgery 9 years ago. I am cleared to dive but I don't volunteer that information and will deny any medical issues if asked. I generally keep a shirt on to hide the scar on my chest unless I am diving with people who already know of my surgery.

harb99
06-14-2008, 19:24
I had heart bypass surgery 9 years ago. I am cleared to dive but I don't volunteer that information and will deny any medical issues if asked. I generally keep a shirt on to hide the scar on my chest unless I am diving with people who already know of my surgery.

kinda the same way with me and my asthma - i dont volunteer the info, but it is also pretty well controlled with meds

thesmoothdome
06-14-2008, 20:16
My wife is a Type 1 diabetic. She was certified back in 1994 when diabetes was still considered a contra-indicator to diving. Her doctor back then saw no problem with her diving as long as she maintained tight control. Her instructor knew about the condition but since the doctor OK'd her, he was good with it.

Since we resumed diving in 2006 (took about 10 years off), she's been on an insulin pump so it's pretty hard to hide. Of course, it's no longer a contra-indication, but we always disclose it and openly discuss it with our dive operators. We also make sure that we have a recent PADI medical form signed by our doctor saying that she's cleared to dive.

If something does happen which can be related to the diabetes, I want everyone on board to best be able to help her. Hiding a medical condition won't allow that.

scubasamurai
06-14-2008, 21:43
i see no point in hiding a medical condition from any dive operator. being an RN and not telling is setting yourself up for a potential problem. i do hope people inquire about the emergency equipment on the boat and condition of it and if people are adequately trained to use it. i can understand the reasons behind not disclosing a medical issue( none of their business i can agree with that and it is your right) but not disclosing it to the operator and you have a problem than it is a big problem if they are not prepared. and i see no issue if you carry a medical clearence form saying your clear to dive should protect you and the operator.
treating anyone for any life threatening emergency when your "backup" is an hour away and not having the right equipement is not a good thing.
just make sure they have the right emergency equipment to handle your "medical condition" and it is in working order and hopefully you have a medical alert necklace so if something does happen to you , we the medical community, can help treat you.
not disagreeing with you but if something does happen, who is going to tell us your history.
and yes i dove with members of the "zipper' club.

captain
06-14-2008, 22:22
i see no point in hiding a medical condition from any dive operator. being an RN and not telling is setting yourself up for a potential problem. i do hope people inquire about the emergency equipment on the boat and condition of it and if people are adequately trained to use it. i can understand the reasons behind not disclosing a medical issue( none of their business i can agree with that and it is your right) but not disclosing it to the operator and you have a problem than it is a big problem if they are not prepared. and i see no issue if you carry a medical clearence form saying your clear to dive should protect you and the operator.
treating anyone for any life threatening emergency when your "backup" is an hour away and not having the right equipement is not a good thing.
just make sure they have the right emergency equipment to handle your "medical condition" and it is in working order and hopefully you have a medical alert necklace so if something does happen to you , we the medical community, can help treat you.
not disagreeing with you but if something does happen, who is going to tell us your history.
and yes i dove with members of the "zipper' club.

The problem is they just might say we are not prepared to deal with it and you can't dive.
In the case of myself, a heart attach is a heart attach, and it doesnt make much difference if I have had a bypass or not, or that anyone knows. If I'm at 100 feet when it happens either way I am probably dead. And really it's the ones who aren't aware that they may have a condition who are most at risk. I at least am aware and miminmize the risk by avoiding situations that might lead to a less than happy outcome.

Zyxistal
06-14-2008, 22:23
I have to agree with ScubaSamurai on this one. I have EDS and while the type I have isn't fatal it can cause problems when I'm diving. I'm very forthcoming with people who need to know about this and what problems can occur.
My doctor has already OK'd me to dive with it with a few minor stipulations and that should be enough for any dive charter to know.

CompuDude
06-16-2008, 13:52
I see medical questionaires for training all the time, but I don't think I've ever seen one for diving. Liability waivers ("diving is an inherently dangerous sport, yadda yadda, I won't sue, yadda yadda"), yes, but not medical questionnaires.

RikRaeder
06-16-2008, 17:45
Just set up a dive yesterday with my LDS. They have medical questionaires for all divers. My gf and I have no health problems (that we know of). The shop said that if we do, we need a doctor's clearance to dive with them.

CompuDude
06-16-2008, 18:33
Just set up a dive yesterday with my LDS. They have medical questionaires for all divers. My gf and I have no health problems (that we know of). The shop said that if we do, we need a doctor's clearance to dive with them.

Leave it to the Japanese! ;)

cummings66
06-16-2008, 19:07
I'm going through a bunch of questions, my aviation medical is due this month and I have to go through my 3 years of doctors visits and tell them of each one, each med I've had, basically if I went to the doctor they need to know who, where, when, why, and heaven help you if you lie. I'm happy diving here isn't like that.

chinacat46
06-16-2008, 19:28
I see medical questionaires for training all the time, but I don't think I've ever seen one for diving. Liability waivers ("diving is an inherently dangerous sport, yadda yadda, I won't sue, yadda yadda"), yes, but not medical questionnaires.

I see them a lot especially on liveaboards. Pretty much the same questions you see for training. Had to fill one out for Peter Hughes for my trip in November.

nanmetlia
06-22-2008, 21:21
I have to say I have a couple of medical issues but I have spoken with all my doctors about it and they see no problem with me diving. I won't be going under this trip but I will most certainly snorkel. The main reason is I have had some broken toes recently and I just don't think I can carry the weight on my weakend foot. I think the key is to know your health condition inside and out what the dangers are and if you don't understand them all by all means ask your doctor or look it up on the internet their are a lot of resources out their. As far as telling dive masters or trip coordinators my specific problems I have none. That way I am responsible for my own self and I don't get bumped off dives.