PDA

View Full Version : Padi or SSI?

kahoots
06-14-2008, 13:25
I think both are recognized worldwide however, i see a lot more resorts especially in the cayman islands have padi. will they give me any problems when i show up with an ssi certificate?

thanks

chinacat46
06-14-2008, 13:30
If you got a c-card it really shouldn't matter what agency it's from.

kahoots
06-14-2008, 13:34
If you got a c-card it really shouldn't matter what agency it's from.

Which company do you prefer? Which do you learn more in?

chinacat46
06-14-2008, 13:41
Since I'm a PADI instructor I'm biased but it really is the instructor not the agency.

ScubaToys Larry
06-14-2008, 13:42
I prefer the Naui courses... SSI has a good program also. Some complain the Padi programs are a bit too simplified - but if you search Padi Naui SSI on this forum, you will find a ton of posts - and the over riding comment is the individual instructor makes a much larger difference than the acronym on the card.

rumblefish
06-14-2008, 14:17
I prefer the Naui courses... SSI has a good program also. Some complain the Padi programs are a bit too simplified - but if you search Padi Naui SSI on this forum, you will find a ton of posts - and the over riding comment is the individual instructor makes a much larger difference than the acronym on the card.

Ditto to what Larry said. The real question that people looking to get into scuba should ask is not which agency should I choose but how should I choose a scuba instructor. Here are some things to ask.

Cost
How much does it cost. Yes, you can't put a cost on good instruction, but you don't want to feel put off from the sport from the very beginning if you get hit with a lot of hidden costs.

Does the class require you to buy a full set of gear or just mask, fin and snorkel? How much are the books? Are the OW dives included or are they extra?

Instruction
Who will be teaching classes? Will it be the instructor you're talking to or someone else? How much experience does the instructor have? How often does that instructor dive? How much do they dive for fun? How many students will be in each class? What is the teacher to student ratio going to be? Do they teach dive tables? How do they handle people who need extra practice? How is the class structured? How many days in the classroom, how many pool sessions are included?

Ask if you sit in on a pool session. If it's possible, talk to some of the instructor's former students. Remember, it's your money, shop around to get the best training that you can get.

And just to touch on the whole PADI/NAUI/SSI thing. PADI is the largest agency out there so you're almost guaranteed to find a PADI shop at most vacation destinations However, it really doesn't matter which agency you go with. Dive shops rarely ever (I've never seen it) turn down a valid C-card from another agency. Once you get a C-card, you are not locked into an agency. You can take advanced training from any agency. Many people may have their OW from one agency and their AOW through another agency.

kahoots
06-14-2008, 14:37

Ditto to what Larry said. The real question that people looking to get into scuba should ask is not which agency should I choose but how should I choose a scuba instructor. Here are some things to ask.

Cost
How much does it cost. Yes, you can't put a cost on good instruction, but you don't want to feel put off from the sport from the very beginning if you get hit with a lot of hidden costs.

Does the class require you to buy a full set of gear or just mask, fin and snorkel? How much are the books? Are the OW dives included or are they extra?

Instruction
Who will be teaching classes? Will it be the instructor you're talking to or someone else? How much experience does the instructor have? How often does that instructor dive? How much do they dive for fun? How many students will be in each class? What is the teacher to student ratio going to be? Do they teach dive tables? How do they handle people who need extra practice? How is the class structured? How many days in the classroom, how many pool sessions are included?

Ask if you sit in on a pool session. If it's possible, talk to some of the instructor's former students. Remember, it's your money, shop around to get the best training that you can get.

And just to touch on the whole PADI/NAUI/SSI thing. PADI is the largest agency out there so you're almost guaranteed to find a PADI shop at most vacation destinations However, it really doesn't matter which agency you go with. Dive shops rarely ever (I've never seen it) turn down a valid C-card from another agency. Once you get a C-card, you are not locked into an agency. You can take advanced training from any agency. Many people may have their OW from one agency and their AOW through another agency.

thanks i will shop around to see how the classes are. thanks for all your suggestions guys!

BuzzGA
06-14-2008, 18:25

That's what I did, my OW was with NAUI, my AOW and Rescue are PADI, my Nitrox is SSI and I'm getting ready to start SSI DiveCon...why that's who is teaching in my area. Before I started any of the classes after OW (that was a gift when I was a teen) I sat down and talked with the instructor to make sure I was comfortable with his/her skill level and instruction style

comet24
06-14-2008, 20:16
Shouldn't matter. My OW was SSI. Didn't even know there where others then. When I went through AOW, Rescue, DM it was PADI. Reason had nothing to do with PADI or SSI but that's what the shop was near where I worked at the time and I really liked the poeple there.

As others have said it's the people/instructors not the program between the two.

scubasamurai
06-14-2008, 21:58
back to the original question, as long as you have C-card most places do not care what agency it is from. in fact most of those places are more concerned about when your last dive was!!! i believe there was a post about a diver with over 200 dives and didn't dive in the year and they wouldn't let her dive. so remember , have your C card and make sure you dove within the past year, or at least lie about it hahah just kidding. its your life

oddbod
06-15-2008, 04:19
Have used them all and some other now defunct ones I can't remember, it is the instructor that matters not what affiliate they use for their insurance cover, my Advanced (PADI) covered more than my Deep (NASDS) and Wreck (PADI) was just diving with an instructor didn't learn a think, but I got the card!

Martin2
06-16-2008, 15:44
And I've yet to see anyone turn down my parents with their almost 30 year old YMCA C-cards. Find an instructor you're comfortable with and go from there.

abcitydiver
06-18-2008, 01:09
All that said, I'm still going to side with Larry - Naui (even though I got my ow with padi)...their ow course is generally much more in depth than PADI's.
And afterall - this is your LIFE on the line, more training and knowlege should be the absolute goal.

CompuDude
06-18-2008, 01:33
Actually, I was reading just in the past month somewhere a story some guy told about being turned away with a NAUI cert, because the idiot behind the counter wanted to see "his PADI card". Didn't believe NAUI was a real agency... or that there were any others.

I would assume someone in the shop is going to be smarter than one clearly lacking any education, but the fact that PADI has the most recognition, world-wide, is definitely there.

Unfortunately, PADI's rep among shops that actually have experience with other agencies is not always the best in the bunch.

In the end, though, don't base your decision on agency reputation, base it on quality of the individual instructor. You can always change agencies later for AOW (all agencies recognize the other's base certs).

cummings66
06-18-2008, 11:04
I read that post too, not sure if it was real or not though. I took it as a shop that was so blinded by their own desire to sell product that they didn't think there was any other choices out there.

IMO it doesn't matter, what matters is what you learn and retain.