PDA

View Full Version : How do you all attach your camera?

Navy OnStar
06-14-2008, 14:19
I have ordered an Ikelite housing for my camera and was wondering how you all attach it to your BC. I don't want it just tied around my wrist.

1st. I am anal about nothing dangling. I want the tightest configuation possible.

2nd. Ease of use. I want something that will allow me to get to the camera quickly.

3rd. I want the camera connected to me at all times but I want it easy to remove from the BC to pass up to the boat.

4th. Must be durable.

Is there anything out there that incorporates all these?

Thanks

Daz
06-14-2008, 15:35
I use one of these (http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_976/Context_974/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/Filter_6%3d518%2c700/AQUTCL.html?Hit=1). One end attaches to the camera tray, the bolt snap clips to a D-ring on my harness. I keep it buckled during entries and exits and unbickled during the dive.

Daz

Navy OnStar
06-14-2008, 16:25
I use one of these (http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_976/Context_974/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/Filter_6%3d518%2c700/AQUTCL.html?Hit=1). One end attaches to the camera tray, the bolt snap clips to a D-ring on my harness. I keep it buckled during entries and exits and unbickled during the dive.

Daz

DAZ do you know who makes them? That is pretty much what I'm looking for but the one on ScubaToys (CRLO3, Light Accessories, Cetecea, CRLO3 (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=CRLO3)) has a plastic clip and I just can't bring myslef to trust my camera to a clip that doesn't feel solid. I would get that one, but I'm not a fan of LeisurePro

Thanks

thesmoothdome
06-14-2008, 17:13
I use the one with the brass clip. Don't remember where I picked it up though. I attached a wrist lanyard to my housing tray and attach the brass clip to the lanyard after I'm in the water. Well, in theory that's how it's going to work. Still have about 2 weeks until the housing's maiden ocean dive.

Navy OnStar
06-14-2008, 17:24
Cetacea Corporation - Scuba :: Coil Lanyards :: Coil-Lanyard w/Brass Snap (http://www.cetaceacorp.com/coil-lanyard-w-brass-snap-p144.html) Found this on the Cetacea website. Just PM'd Joe to see how much they cost.

Diver Kat
06-14-2008, 17:59
I've used the same type on my C5050 for a few years, works just fine.

Geoff_T
06-15-2008, 01:12
these clips with the lanyard all look good. What you might want to consider is a lanyard made of somthing that could be cut away in the event of an emergancy, which it looks like all of these can. by the way what size houseing are you talking about, point and shoot or full slr. This should make a difference in what type of clip you want.

jugglematt
06-15-2008, 06:29
i use a homemade version of the quick release coil lanyard ,

just imagine substiuting the plastic coil for nylon cord and make one yourself

what i did was a purchaced a plastic buckle and 2 brass clips and about 1metre of braided nylon cord .

i attach the nylon cord to the brass clip then to one half of the buckle then have about 50cm length and attach to the other half of the buckle then the other brass clip . it is very secure and cost is about $5 .

regards
Matt

Vercingetorix
06-15-2008, 06:47
I just clip my camera to my BP/W (left-shoulder ring) with a snap-clip that I've zip-tied. Camera is available when I want it and returned when not.

I, too, hate danglies. I used to have retractors for gear and that same CRL03 lanyard clip for my camera. All are just waiting to snag; all are gone.

That said, I don't know how big a rig you're talking. My camera is a simple Canon A620 with housing.

Defman
06-15-2008, 07:15

Daz

DAZ do you know who makes them? That is pretty much what I'm looking for but the one on ScubaToys (CRLO3, Light Accessories, Cetecea, CRLO3 (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=CRLO3)) has a plastic clip and I just can't bring myslef to trust my camera to a clip that doesn't feel solid. I would get that one, but I'm not a fan of LeisurePro

Thanks

I have the plastic one and it's a very sturdy piece, I'm sure Joe & Larry would get you the brass one if you insist though.

comet24
06-15-2008, 07:35
I have caught two camera's in the last few years while hanging on a line for deco or safety stops. Somehow it seems guys coming up the line have problems holding on to there camera's. Maybe it's a Florida thing as both happened in the Keys. So don't worry about attaching it I could alway use another one. Just kidding all where returned.

thesmoothdome
06-15-2008, 10:31
If I was using a p&s, I might trust the plastic clip, but with a 20lb DSL with dual strobes, I figured it'd be better to have brass.

Trey9123
06-15-2008, 14:36
I agree, CRLO3, Light Accessories, Cetecea, CRLO3 (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=CRLO3) is the best way to go. It has never failed me.

highdesert
06-15-2008, 14:54
[/quote]

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I bought the one with the plastic clip, then went to the hardware store and bought a stainless clip to replace it. Very happy with it. But then, it took a little cobbler work on my part to get it all together ...

longtailbda
06-15-2008, 15:25
Coil lanyard seems to work the best.

bubbletrubble
06-15-2008, 15:28
I've used the Cetacea CRL03 with my Canon S500 setup for the past 2 years. It works great. It dangles a little when I'm on land, but it's really a minor inconvenience. Underwater it keeps my camera attached to me at all times.

IMO, this plastic clip system is robust enough for any P&S setup. I wouldn't even bother replacing the plastic clip with a brass one.

Good luck.

MarkN7
06-15-2008, 19:56
What abaout surgical tubing and boltsnaps? I know several people that use nothing but this for attachments. Granted none of them are carrying around a big camera either...

Navy OnStar
06-15-2008, 22:00
Thanks all. I am using a P&S Canon A590IS. I'm going with the Cetacea one for now. Although, I think I may make my own as jugglematt has suggested. I made a laynyard for my knife out of shock coil for a speargun and it is very compact but stretches langer than I could ever reach. Put that between a couple of SS snaps and i'll be good to go. I'll post pics once I'm done.

thor
06-16-2008, 11:01
I also use the Cetacea with the brass clip. The coil is nice and long, it is very sturdy, and the clip is nice and heavy, and easy to clip on to my BC when I have gloves on, or when I am ocean diving and need that extra reassurance that the camera is actually clipped on.

CompuDude
06-16-2008, 15:01
For a little P&S in the OEM housing and no strobes, the plastic clip coil lanyard would probably suffice.

For bigger heavier housings like Ikelites, cameras with strobes, and of course big DSLR rigs, you should really consider the brass clips for added security.

The camera should pretty much be in your hand at all times, unless you need to release it for a moment to do something with your hands, but when done, pick up the camera again. It should never dangle for an entire dive. (not really referring to a P&S small enough to squeak into a pocket, here)

If you don't want to buy from LP (I don't blame you), there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that Larry & Co can order one with the brass clips for you, even if it's not listed on their website.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Image/Product/Full/aqutcl.jpg

Souvy
07-12-2008, 15:29
Sadly, I lost my last camera to a plastic clip a couple of months ago :( . I just picked up something similar to the brass one linked to above, except it clips onto a D-ring with a stainless steel carabiner instead. It seems much sturdier to me.

cutter77
07-13-2008, 01:02
I've ordered one and plan to substitute a SS clip. Easy to clip to a D-ring.

scbagrrl74
07-13-2008, 12:21
I have to say, I have tried attaching my camera to my BC, but in the end I prefer to have it around my wrist! Seems to work a lot smoother for me; when I need it all I do is flip my wrist, point, and shoot! Plus my DB can use the same method, so we can share it back and forth with minimal effort!

ReefHound
07-13-2008, 12:29
I just clip my camera to my BP/W (left-shoulder ring) with a snap-clip that I've zip-tied. Camera is available when I want it and returned when not.

That's what I do except I use two zip ties for a little redundancy. I used to use just one and had it break while exiting in the gulf a few years ago. I was fortunate that the DM saw it come loose and reached down to grab it before it got away.

OH-JJ
07-13-2008, 19:58
I don't trust zipties. I have a very small loop of shock cord connecting a brass snap clip and the camera. the shock cord will absorb any small jerking when it is clipped, and I can cut it away if need be.

Aussie
07-15-2008, 06:47
I used cable ties to secure two stainless clips on either end of my Ikelite handles. I use two cable ties per clip.

I will hold my camera in my hands 99% of the time and try to do tasks with one hand. When I do clip off I use my big brass tow ring on my backplate as its easy to find and it balances out the big camera rig that I have.

Aussie