PDA

View Full Version : Tank handling safety

Disneymom
08-07-2007, 15:52
So.... that whole tank exploding thread has me spooked. Now, I know - the odds are probably miniscule that anything would ever happen, but would anyone care to educate a novice on proper tank care and feeding? I'd like to make sure I don't do anything stupid when I rent tanks for the weekends.

MEL-DC Diver
08-07-2007, 16:00
Don't fill it after dark. They come out at night.

In all seriousness, these things are pretty safe and durable, so common sense applies. Annual VIPs and keeping a current hydro are tops on the list. So are avoiding big overfills (not going into cave fills), and drastic changes in temperature w/ a full tank. But the number one rule - don't bang on the valve by doing silly things like dropping it from the top of your roof with a full fill.

mike_s
08-07-2007, 16:01
So.... that whole tank exploding thread has me spooked. Now, I know - the odds are probably miniscule that anything would ever happen, but would anyone care to educate a novice on proper tank care and feeding? I'd like to make sure I don't do anything stupid when I rent tanks for the weekends.

As long as you don't drop them on their valves or whack their valves with sledge hammers, you should fine be with any rental tank.

The tanks in the other thread were the older 6351 alloy, which has been discontinued. I doubt that any reputable dive shop is stupid enough to use those anymore.

FYI.. don't worry about pressure explosions. tanks are tested to 5/3 rds of their pressure rating. So in theory, your 3000psi AL80 is safe to approximately 5000psi. Even leaving it in your car in the hot sun won't over pressure it. (though not reccomended).

Disneymom
08-07-2007, 16:02
don't bang on the valve by doing silly things like dropping it from the top of your roof with a full fill. Well, you sure know how to ruin a girl's fun!

What about in cars? And if it's sitting out in the sun patiently awaiting me to take it diving? What if I drop it when I trip over the rock on the way down to the lake shore?

MEL-DC Diver
08-07-2007, 16:04
Yeah, actually after reading mike's post I should elaborate on mine. When i say to avoid big overfills or drastic (immediate) changes in temp I am referring to stressing out a tank over time, thereby shortening its life, not running the risk of a pressure explosion.

Disneymom
08-07-2007, 16:07

As long as you don't drop them on their valves or whack their valves with sledge hammers, you should fine be with any rental tank.

The tanks in the other thread were the older 6351 alloy, which has been discontinued. I doubt that any reputable dive shop is stupid enough to use those anymore.

FYI.. don't worry about pressure explosions. tanks are tested to 5/3 rds of their pressure rating. So in theory, your 3000psi AL80 is safe to approximately 5000psi. Even leaving it in your car in the hot sun won't over pressure it. (though not reccomended). Yeah, I was reading up on that old alloy. Nonetheless it's still air under pressure in there...

Oh, OK. no hot cars. should storage be in the house, or is a garage acceptable?

MEL-DC Diver
08-07-2007, 16:09
don't bang on the valve by doing silly things like dropping it from the top of your roof with a full fill. Well, you sure know how to ruin a girl's fun!

What about in cars? And if it's sitting out in the sun patiently awaiting me to take it diving? What if I drop it when I trip over the rock on the way down to the lake shore?

I avoid cooking my equipment as a general rule, but sometimes it is unavoidable. A tank will handle all the basic issue you described w/o blowing up your car or going off from a simple trip over a rock. You could end up with a little exterior rust from dropping it, but that is pretty much it.

BSea
08-07-2007, 16:14
There have been cases of burst disk blowing on tanks. Especially when they get hot. The sudden release of air can still cause damage. A guy I know had 1 go off in his trunk. The air expanded so fast it warped his trunk lid. Not to mention it scared the daylights out of anyone close by.

I seem to remember a story or 2 about windows being blown out of cars when a burst disk ruptured.

But a burst disk is really a safety precaution. It's designed to release the air from the tank in a safe way, preventing a tank from actually exploding. So any properly maintained tank should be safeguarded from actually exploding.

mike_s
08-07-2007, 16:15
Oh, OK. no hot cars. should storage be in the house, or is a garage acceptable?

well hot cars aren't reccomended, but I've left mine in my car for a few weeks before. So it's doable. Many dive teams leave theirs in their trailers permanently for example.

It doesn't matter whether you keep them in the house or garage.
I'd say that 98% of us keep them in the garage over the house just because it's not something that you would normally need to go a step further and keep inside.

I used to keep mine inside, but it was only because my garage was that small where I used to live and it was hard to walk around them if you parked your car inside.

But you'll find many people who live an apartments that keep them inside withouth problem.

other than that, handling they taught you in your OW class should get you through anything. (stuff they taught you like be carefull of leaving a tank upright on uneven surfaces or with BC/reg on it. )

MEL-DC Diver
08-07-2007, 16:19
There have been cases of burst disk blowing on tanks. Especially when they get hot. The sudden release of air can still cause damage. A guy I know had 1 go off in his trunk. The air expanded so fast it warped his trunk lid. Not to mention it scared the daylights out of anyone close by.

I seem to remember a story or 2 about windows being blown out of cars when a burst disk ruptured.

But a burst disk is really a safety precaution. It's designed to release the air from the tank in a safe way, preventing a tank from actually exploding. So any properly maintained tank should be safeguarded from actually exploding.

BSea, you are going to scare the cr** out of Disneymom. We had her all nice and relaxed and now you start in with the burst disks.

Disneymom
08-07-2007, 16:21
awesome! Yeah, I think I'll just play it safe by taking it in the garage, and not picking one up at lunch and leaving it in the million-degrees-in-the-summer car - not sure what my insurance company would say if I had to replace a couple windows. No dropping off roofs. Got it!
Thanks!

BSea
08-07-2007, 16:30
BSea, you are going to scare the cr** out of Disneymom. We had her all nice and relaxed and now you start in with the burst disks.
You're right. I should have called it the "Safety Everything is Fine Pressurized Air Release Disk":smiley2:

And Disney Mom, I never leave my tanks in a hot car either.

Disneymom
08-07-2007, 16:36
You're right. I should have called it the "Safety Everything is Fine Pressurized Air Release Disk":smiley2:

And Disney Mom, I never leave my tanks in a hot car either.

:smiley36:

thesmoothdome
08-07-2007, 16:37

I would have agreed with you until downunder posted that pic of his 1973 luxfer tank passing hydro in 5/7. That's sorta scary.

mike_s
08-07-2007, 17:07

I would have agreed with you until downunder posted that pic of his 1973 luxfer tank passing hydro in 5/7. That's sorta scary.

I meant for a LDS to use those as a "rental tank". His wasn't a shop rental tank was it?

While there have been a few cases of burst disks, if you take a look at Charles Laws on pressures, temperature, and volume, scuba tanks are pretty darn safe from overpressure in a car during a temperature change. (unless it's a LP tank that is overfilled in the first place).

If a burst disc goes, it's likely to cause only serious damage to the underwear that you're wearing...

ScaredSilly
08-07-2007, 18:22

Lots of places still use them, many reputable ... the whole 6351 is something that has been and will continue to be mass debated. :smilie40:

frankc420
08-07-2007, 19:45
I generally leave my outside in my carport storage area, but I do have an AL80 sitting not 2' from me on the right side of my computer desk..

brandon
08-09-2007, 05:06
Erm, don't leave tanks standing up... even for a second. Bad habit to get into.

It's fine the first hundred times or so... then you knock your rig over and have to send your reg off to get repaired.

-B

WV Diver
08-09-2007, 07:41
Erm, don't leave tanks standing up... even for a second. Bad habit to get into.

It's fine the first hundred times or so... then you knock your rig over and have to send your reg off to get repaired.

-B
This is a very good point Brandon.....you beat me to it. I was trained not to ever leave my tank free standing at anytime unless I had at least one hand on it. Funny thing about training, if you get a good instructor and you start with good habits they soon become second nature.

While you never see this in practice, especially in the places you would think it would be religious ritual, like in dive shops and around fill stations, it is still something I practice and encourage in classes.

brandon
08-09-2007, 09:15
Yeah, I was trained to do it too and had the habit for a long time.

Then I stopped.

Shortly thereafter, I had an accident.

Now I do it again.

Self-correcting problem.

-B.

cummings66
08-09-2007, 18:09
The hard way. Not a cheap way either. It could have been worse. I once dropped a tank, luckily it didn't do more than mar the finish on the valve. It could have been much worse.

In my case the tank was empty from diving and I was putting it in my Cherokee and it slipped from my grasp. Made me sick to think what happened but I got lucky.

WV Diver
08-09-2007, 18:11
The hard way. Not a cheap way either. It could have been worse. I once dropped a tank, luckily it didn't do more than mar the finish on the valve. It could have been much worse.

In my case the tank was empty from diving and I was putting it in my Cherokee and it slipped from my grasp. Made me sick to think what happened but I got lucky.
Even 500 psi will ruin your day.

turtle_guy
08-09-2007, 23:35
just like cherokee66 i dropped a tank off the back of a pickup truck. I had set it up because the site i was going to had a small prep area. right after it was all set up I dropped my light. When i bent down to pick it up the hole rig fell off and landed right on the valve. all i got was i tiny ding in the valve. luckily i had depressurized it.

Hollywood703
08-21-2007, 14:48
a tank exploding is very very unusual...as stated a burst disk usually goes......There have been test done witha 3000psi tank being shot with a rifle...it puts a hole in it and air escapes quickly...no explosion. snapping the valve off will not make it explode, just becomes a missile releasing all the air though the valve hole. usually if any...an explosion would occur when filling since the pressure is constantly increasing....unlikely when the pressure is established or decreasing.