PDA

View Full Version : Buying mask over the Internet

namabiru
08-07-2007, 16:00
I know you should try on masks before you purchase them, but the problem I'm faced with is I don't have a shop around where I could go try something on. So I rely a lot on measurements, etc. when buying dive gear in general.

So that brings us to masks. Does anyone have any good tips or things they've found which work well when selecting a new mask online? I do have a smaller face, so I don't want to get something which will look gigantic and/or not fit properly.

Oddly enough, a snorkeling mask I had when I first started out has lasted me 33 dives, but I can tell it's starting to become time to change up. The mask still works, but would like to get into something different.

ReefHound
08-07-2007, 16:41
Some people have faces easy to fit and some have faces hard to fit. Just about anything seals on me so I buy masks online without a thought. YMMV.

There really are no measurements so the only tips might be to buy something similar (mfgr, style, etc) to something that has worked for you in the past. Or borrow masks from your dive buddies and buy the one that fits best.

Make sure you buy from someone with a good return policy.

BSea
08-07-2007, 16:45
I think there is a shop that will allow you to return a mask if it doesn't fit with no questions asked. Hmmmm.....their name is right on the tip of my tongue something to do with "Toys". Might have "Scuba" in the name too.

I bought a Mares X-Vision mask, and they said if it didn't fit, just to send it back. It's my favorite mask. I didn't have to send it back.

thesmoothdome
08-07-2007, 16:46
Make sure you buy from someone with a good return policy.

That's the best piece of advice there is.

Just as a general rule, because I have a narrow face, I prefer low volume masks. They tend to fit better on me than big 3 or 4 panel masks do.

thor
08-07-2007, 16:48
Wherever you buy. Make sure they have a liberal return policy. Some places will even let you dive with the mask and give you store credit if you don't like it, but those dive shops are few and far between, if not almost non-existent. Talk to ST and see what they can do for you

JugglingMonkeys
08-07-2007, 17:36
is this ST's policy on everything?
Easy return if it doesn't fit?

BSea
08-07-2007, 22:00
is this ST's policy on everything?
Easy return if it doesn't fit?
I don't want to speak for ST, but when I bought my mask it was what I was told.

ScubaToys Larry
08-07-2007, 22:31
My daddy always taught me.. "Make a customer, not a sale."

I never want anyone to keep any product they are not happy with. We will always make sure you are happy with your purchases. No problem. No worries. :smiley20:

nferra2
08-08-2007, 00:50
Well, first you open your scanner and take a scan of your face. Next you email it to Larry. Larry will then recreate your face in 3-D in the shop and find the mask that fits you best.

thor
08-08-2007, 00:51
Larry is Darkman?

JugglingMonkeys
08-08-2007, 01:42

I never want anyone to keep any product they are not happy with. We will always make sure you are happy with your purchases. No problem. No worries. :smiley20:

great!
that's very helpful when considering a purchase such as BCD etc....

:smiley20:

Advokat
08-08-2007, 18:47
I bought a Mares LiquidSkin mask through Scubatoys over the net and it is the best mask I ever tried on. It is so good that it should fit most faces perfectly. I'll be getting another one shortly as back up...

deepdiver47
08-08-2007, 20:01

That is 100% true, I had the same problem with my X-Vision and Larry stepped in and said he would take it back even it I went diving with it. I guessed correctly and it fit fine. My LDS would NOT do that.

creggur
08-08-2007, 20:28
I would call and talk to the guys at ST... Not only do they have a very customer friendly return policy...Here's the thing though, they are so good at selling online and over the phone, if you describe your situation, I'll bet they can make a recommendation that has a pretty good shot of working..

They helped my wife with a mask fit issue..She has a very small face, we actually went with the kids version of the Genesis Panview..Same quality as the adult mask, just made smaller, it worked out great!!

namabiru
08-09-2007, 11:15
Well, first you open your scanner and take a scan of your face. Next you email it to Larry. Larry will then recreate your face in 3-D in the shop and find the mask that fits you best.

:smilie39: Next thing you know the police are banging down your door for sending obscene attachments to others... turns out you sent your Dark Lord mug to some teetotaling anti-everything group on accident.

namabiru
08-09-2007, 11:23
And, yeah, t'is what I thought I could do. The mask I have now, I like the smaller size (some seem huge to me), and it seems like the X-Vision mid is similar. On the other hand, I'd like something with a bit more of a vision field. That's kind of my purpose in buying a new mask.

Has anyone used the Panview mask?

porsche060
08-12-2007, 11:55
Has anyone had the problem with ordering online and the mask not fitting?

namabiru
08-13-2007, 20:17
Yeah, I don't know. You can perhaps eyeball a mask and know if it will work for you if the photos are decent. I think most masks will fit okay, it's just whether you like the size or not. See, I know I don't want a huge mask which looks huge on my face. Call me vain, but perhaps you know what I mean too. And, obviously, it's time to stop yakking about it and start buying. I'm getting there, I'm getting there.

porsche060
08-14-2007, 08:03
So go ahead and buy like I will :-)

creggur
08-14-2007, 08:32
And, yeah, t'is what I thought I could do. The mask I have now, I like the smaller size (some seem huge to me), and it seems like the X-Vision mid is similar. On the other hand, I'd like something with a bit more of a vision field. That's kind of my purpose in buying a new mask.

Has anyone used the Panview mask?

My wife and I each have them.. Apparently the mask is labeled by a number of manufacturers, mine is Oceanic, and my wifes is Tilos. We got them with our personal gear packages from ST. My wife's is actually the kids version, and due to the size of her face it works great. I've had no problem with the adult version.. I would like to know who actually produced the masks..For no reason other than just curiosity..

WV Diver
08-14-2007, 09:09
Masks and wet suits are really tough when you can't try them on. It can be a long process of mailing masks back and forth before you finally get the one that is a great fit. Even with a great return policy the shipping back and forth can cost you a small forutne, many times the cost of the mask itself. Maybe Larry has a policy for this also, I wouldn't want to speak for him. Just something else to consider as a mask really should be something that fits you like a custom suit.

If you have one that works now and you like it tell Larry what it is and see if he can find it for you. Then the next time you find yourself at Larry's you can take your time and get a good fit on a new mask the really fits you well.

porsche060
08-14-2007, 15:37
After trying on different wetsuits to surf, with them size is everything

nferra2
08-14-2007, 18:46
I think I have decided to spend the money and get my mask local, from what I here it is worth it to spend the extra money.

uzzell20
08-14-2007, 19:38
thats why i love ST there always out to make the customer happy

CompuDude
08-14-2007, 19:49
I think I have decided to spend the money and get my mask local, from what I here it is worth it to spend the extra money.
That's been my experience, too.

I buy the first mask locally. After that, however, if I am replacing it with the same type of mask, I have no issues going online to pick up a replacement. That's why my last two masks have come from ScubaToys.

I did, however, do my LDS the courtesy of buying my first mask from them, since I used their store to try them on and determine fit.

nferra2
08-14-2007, 20:54
I am not exactly going to buy the mask locally, I am going to drive 4 hours to get it, but it will be picked up in a not local to me LDS.

namabiru
08-14-2007, 21:48
Wish I could do so, and I've combed the LDSes (all 3 of them within a 100 mile radius) but haven't found anything I like.

I'm getting there, gradually. I suddenly got fixated on having a U/W digital camera for my trip, so I guess I kind of got sidetracked. But I'm back with the program, and ready to get focused here.