PDA

View Full Version : Philippines info

chinacat46
06-15-2008, 19:24
I'm looking into going to the Philippines and was wondering if anybody has been to Dumaguete or Puerto Galera. Also is mid September a good time to go?

RikRaeder
06-16-2008, 17:51
PG was ok. Though we went at the best time of year, conditions weren't so good however. There are about 50 hotels along the beach. Each has a dive shop and a resaurant. You won't be doing anything but lounging and diving. There is nothing else around. Think it would have been better for me if conditions weren't so crappy.

chinacat46
06-16-2008, 19:32
What time of year was that?

LCFrigon
06-17-2008, 00:06
I have been PG and La Union And Subic...all were good depending on what you are looking for. PG was great for me everytime I have gone...dubt it would be great in typhoon weather but saw lots of great wildlife. Subic is cool for wrecks, and found La Union decent for both. Know people who dive Bohol and Cebu and Boracay and still prefer PG...though lots of the sites you can get to from any of the lower areas by boat.

Have fun....September should be fine...hot hot hot

Travelnsj
06-17-2008, 10:06
Someone told me a little over a year ago....Mid Sept can be Typhoon season. I have known people who have gone in Sept and Oct and hit perfect weather.....Perhaps that person was just being negative!

I am planning on March 09....they say that is the best time to go.

chinacat46
06-17-2008, 10:27
Indeed it was me but I found a great deal as you know and I'm already booked in November.

h2odragon1
06-17-2008, 10:40
I've been to Puerto Galera, and Dumagete in Nov 2005. The weather was great! The rains had stopped in late Oct.
I've been to Boracay Jan 2002, and Mactan Is. and Panglao Is., Feb 2008. Again no bad weather.
Diving is always great.
Puerto Galera; the most varied diving available: rec., wreck, tech.,deep, shark cave, nature (Verde Is.), drift, etc.
Mactan, and Panglao great nature and wall diving.
You'll have a great time!:smiley20::smiley20:
WARNING:DIVING IN THE PHILIPPINES IS THE MOST ADDICTIVE FORM OF DIVING.

chinacat46
06-17-2008, 10:47
I've been to Puerto Galera, and Dumagete in Nov 2005. The weather was great! The rains had stopped in late Oct.
I've been to Boracay Jan 2002, and Mactan Is. and Panglao Is., Feb 2008. Again no bad weather.
Diving is always great.
Puerto Galera; the most varied diving available: rec., wreck, tech.,deep, shark cave, nature (Verde Is.), drift, etc.
Mactan, and Panglao great nature and wall diving.
You'll have a great time!:smiley20::smiley20:
WARNING:DIVING IN THE PHILIPPINES IS THE MOST ADDICTIVE FORM OF DIVING.

Have you ever dived in Indonesia? I'm already addicted.

Travelnsj
06-17-2008, 17:22
Indeed it was me but I found a great deal as you know and I'm already booked in November.

And I took your advice!....I'm going in March for 6 days....hope to get out to Verde Island:smiley20:....Then head to Palau!

When are we ever doing a trip together?

RikRaeder
06-18-2008, 19:00
What time of year was that?

We went in December/January of last year. Weather was a bit abnormal, so I'm told. It WAS a nino/nina year.

Bill22
06-19-2008, 01:05
I'm looking into going to the Philippines and was wondering if anybody has been to Dumaguete or Puerto Galera. Also is mid September a good time to go?

I just got back from the Philippines, I dived Anilao and PG while I was there. I'm working on my trip report now and will post it here later.

Not sure about mid-September as I've never been in the Philippines that time of year. I'm sure you know it's the middle of typhoon season, so probably best to have contingency plans.

Not telling you not to go at that time. You can get some good deals and much less crowded during the off-season, but something to keep in mind ;)

chinacat46
06-19-2008, 08:38
Bill I've seen your report on the "other" board. Where did you stay in PG?

Travelnsj
06-19-2008, 11:03
Chuck do that deal with the Atlantis resorts. I have read a few reports of people going in Sept and Oct and they have hit perfect weather.

chinacat46
06-19-2008, 13:02
I was planning on doing that deal with Atlantis but then my friend who was gonna go backed out. I'm gonna check on the single supplements but I'm betting they are high. I'm gonna check some other places out and see what it will cost. Might change which areas I visit and how long I go for.

Travelnsj
06-19-2008, 13:12
I was planning on doing that deal with Atlantis but then my friend who was gonna go backed out. I'm gonna check on the single supplements but I'm betting they are high. I'm gonna check some other places out and see what it will cost. Might change which areas I visit and how long I go for.

Sell 9 shares of Apple:smiley20:....go to the Philippines.

chinacat46
06-19-2008, 13:27
Would rather sell Potash.

Travelnsj
06-19-2008, 13:43
Would rather sell Potash.

Is that POT at $235 a share and going down?....you are rich....sell 6 shares the single supplement is covered!

chinacat46
06-19-2008, 14:30
Yep that is the one. It's done better then Apple the last year. Definitely my biggest winner of the year.

Travelnsj
06-19-2008, 15:03
that stock is now $232 a share if you would of sold 6 shares this AM at $241 you could of eaten a week in the Phillipines with that differance!

Just do it!....or you can wait and read Bill22's trip report or mine when I post it next year:smiley29:

chinacat46
06-19-2008, 15:11
The difference would have went to the tax man. Hey it hit it's all time high this morning. It's just taking a breather before it goes up even more.

Bill22
06-20-2008, 07:02

It's okay... I think you can say scubaboard here :D After all ST advertises there ;-)

Getting a little ahead since I've barely started Anilao and will re-post it all here, or maybe as I go, once I get started good ;)....

I rented a kitchenette at Sonny's at almost the end of Sabang for 900 pesos a night. It was a little bit of a walk down to where everything was, but not much of one... Sabang is not a very big place ;-) I'm sure Atlantis is nicer, but they are probably also one of the most expensive places there. All about what your priorites are :D

Travelnsj
06-20-2008, 10:08

It's okay... I think you can say scubaboard here :D After all ST advertises there ;-)

Getting a little ahead since I've barely started Anilao and will re-post it all here, or maybe as I go, once I get started good ;)....

I rented a kitchenette at Sonny's at almost the end of Sabang for 900 pesos a night. It was a little bit of a walk down to where everything was, but not much of one... Sabang is not a very big place ;-) I'm sure Atlantis is nicer, but they are probably also one of the most expensive places there. All about what your priorites are :D

Bill are you fimiliar with the El Galleon in PG?

El Galleon Beach Resort Puerto Galera Philippines Scuba (http://www.asiadivers.com/elgalleon/)

Bill22
06-20-2008, 12:05

Bill are you fimiliar with the El Galleon in PG?

El Galleon Beach Resort Puerto Galera Philippines Scuba (http://www.asiadivers.com/elgalleon/)

Opposite end from where I was at ;) Happens to be where I stayed the last time I was in PG :D Nice place, very good restaraunt, the dive shop is Asia Divers, also very good, an all round good operation. Usually compared to Atlantis. I think generally speaking those are considered to be the best two resorts there in PG.

I can't compare to Atlantis since I've never stayed there.

Travelnsj
06-20-2008, 18:25
Just booked my flight. Leaving LA on Feb 26, will arrive in Manilla on Feb 27. Leaving Manilla March 5th arriving Palau on March 6th and leaving Palau on March 17.

I should be able to get in 5 days of diving in Puerto Galera and then 9 days of diving in Palau....Wooo Hooo.

chinacat46
06-20-2008, 18:46
Hey Scott,

My friends I'm doing Raja with are going to the Solomon's in Oct of 09. 12 day liveaboard.

Travelnsj
06-20-2008, 19:34
Hey Scott,

My friends I'm doing Raja with are going to the Solomon's in Oct of 09. 12 day liveaboard.

So does that mean you are going to the Solomons?....doing the Billikini (SP)?....I'd love you to go and see if it is worthwhile for me:smiley20:

chinacat46
06-20-2008, 20:30
It is the Bilikiki but I haven't decided if I'm going or not yet. Just heard about today and that is well over a year away. I'm still trying to line up the Philippines for September. My buddy canceled so I'm checking other options right now. Anybody want to go to the Philippines in September?

Travelnsj
06-20-2008, 20:51
I am thinking of going to the Solomons in October also if I do not go on the Antares LOB in Raja Ampat.....But I've heard the Solomons suffers from commercial fishing and I have been to enough of those places in Hawaii, Malaysia and the Caribbean....if you could go and check it out first....:smiley20:

Regarding the Philippines...I need a dive buddy in March!

chinacat46
06-21-2008, 14:36
I am thinking of going to the Solomons in October also if I do not go on the Antares LOB in Raja Ampat.....But I've heard the Solomons suffers from commercial fishing and I have been to enough of those places in Hawaii, Malaysia and the Caribbean....if you could go and check it out first....:smiley20:

So you want me to check out the Solomons for you like I checked out R4 and Lembeh for you. I'll think about it.

As for the Philippines in March. If I go in March I'm going on a liveaboard to Tubbataha Reef. I've heard that is the best diving in the country. Are you up for that?

Travelnsj
06-21-2008, 23:04

So you want me to check out the Solomons for you like I checked out R4 and Lembeh for you. I'll think about it.

As for the Philippines in March. If I go in March I'm going on a liveaboard to Tubbataha Reef. I've heard that is the best diving in the country. Are you up for that?

Ahhh....my ticket is already booked (yesterday!!) I only have from Feb 27 to March 6th in the Philippines then head to Palau...Can I do it in that time frame?.....I have heard about Tubbataha reef...wish I would of remembered it today as I spoke to many Philippine dive ops at the scuba show....not the liveaboard people though.

I think I got a deal on the Spirit of the Solomons today....I might beat you there:smiley20:

highdesert
06-22-2008, 14:06
QUOTE=Travelnsj;189628] I think I got a deal on the Spirit of the Solomons today....I might beat you there:smiley20:[/QUOTE]

Reminder: Spirit of Solomons = liveaboard. Liveaboard = boat. Boat = seasickness. :smiley2:

chinacat46
06-22-2008, 14:31
Even Travelnsj does a liveaboard now and then. I know he did one in the Galapogos. He is gone for a week. Diving in Little Cayman the lucky .......

Travelnsj
06-23-2008, 10:00
They say the waters in the Solomons is calm Oct thru Dec....may chance it!

neugierig
07-07-2008, 11:12

dude, tubbataha rocks! its a place every diver needs to visit once in his lifetime.

Home - Scuba Diving School and Dive Shop in the Philippines - Offers PADI Scuba Diving Courses, Scuba Diving Equipment, PADI Instructor Course, Scuba Diving for Kids (http://www.scubaworld.com.ph) has some great tubbataha packages.

chinacat46
07-07-2008, 13:26
I want to check out Tubbataha but it might be tough getting Scott over there on a live aboard.

Also I'm heading to PG and Dumaguete in mid Sept so Tubbataha will have to wait.

neugierig
07-13-2008, 04:23
i see. PG and dumaguete, sounds like fun

I myself will be over in sipalay in negros island first week of aug, and davao on the last week of aug.

if you want to try those spots, i can give you the websites of the shops i dive with.

chinacat46
07-13-2008, 07:28
Thnx but I'm already booked at PG and Dumaguete. I'm sure I'll be back though and others might like the info so post the websites anyway!

neugierig
07-30-2008, 10:36
sipalay:
EASY DIVING PHILIPPINES TAUCHEN TAUCHSAFARI PHILIPPINEN SIPALAY ZAMBOANGUITA (http://www.easydiving.ph)
ARTISTIC DIVING Beach Resort and PADI Dive Center, Sipalay City, Philippines (http://www.artisticdiving.com)
both are swiss owned. youll see mostly european divers here

Davao:
Carabao Dive Center
Door 1F Hermanos Bldg Sta. Ana Wharf
Monteverde St. 8000 Philippines
Carabao Dive Center - Home (http://cdc.e-davao.com/)

In davao, look for dick. one of the owners of the carabao dive shop. great guy, gave me a hefty discount.

chinacat46
07-30-2008, 14:11
Thanx I've bookmarked those for the future.

Babydamulag
11-20-2008, 01:02
Diving the PI is a "must do".

CODMAN
11-20-2008, 08:13
Hey babyD! Welcome to the scubatoys forum! You'll see that it's a nice change from scubaboard!:smiley20:

CODMAN

neugierig
11-20-2008, 10:00
^ hey, you guys are at the PPD forum too, right?

this forum's nice, but there's a lot more stuff goin on at the 'other' forum.

CODMAN
11-20-2008, 12:20
^ hey, you guys are at the PPD forum too, right?

this forum's nice, but there's a lot more stuff goin on at the 'other' forum.

I agree. But I find this forum calmer, less high strung than the other (not talking of the PPDs, the other forums). It can get quite intense sometimes. Here I find people more laid back in general, which is nice...:smiley20: larry and Joe have a great thing going here!:smiley20:

CODMAN

Travelnsj
11-20-2008, 23:13

Welcome to the board....I'm headed there in March....Which should I do Sogod Bay or PG?

CODMAN
11-21-2008, 06:58

Welcome to the board....I'm headed there in March....Which should I do Sogod Bay or PG?

Travel, BabyD will surely answer for himself... But I have a feeling he'll suggest PG!:smiley2::smiley2:

From what I know, PG is more developed for diving and has greater variety (it is awesome): wreck, reef, deep, shallow, drift, shore, Macro, pelagics (well at least to some degree), cave, lots of tech operations... There is not much you can't find there! I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Lets see what BabyD has to say.:smilie40: He is much more knowledgeable than am about diving the Philipines!:smiley20:

Cheers!

CODMAN

teerlkay
11-21-2008, 11:41
lots of islands but I really REALLY liked the diving on APO Island ( not to be confused with APO reef- I'd love to go there too)

Liberty Community Lodge (http://www.apoisland.com/)

CODMAN
11-21-2008, 14:29
lots of islands but I really REALLY liked the diving on APO Island ( not to be confused with APO reef- I'd love to go there too)

Liberty Community Lodge (http://www.apoisland.com/)

Yeah, I wanted to dive Apo Reef from Sabang, but it was too much $$$$. And I was having a blast in Sabang, so why look elsewhere... I simply never got bored of diving Canyons...:smiley20:

CODMAN