PDA

View Full Version : This would have made the movie "Jaws" a lot shorter.

mocepts
06-16-2008, 06:42
WASP Injection Systems, Inc. - WASP Injection Knife (http://www.waspknife.com/about.php)

DaneMeyer20
06-16-2008, 07:06
I dont see how that would work at all. Not to mention you have to get within a foot of a shark to stab it and hold it there long enough for the air to enter the animal. Not happening

Now for james bond fighting bad guys under water that contraption mike work very well

CompuDude
06-16-2008, 14:26
Cool knife. :)

I wouldn't want to bring one for scuba, however. Unless maybe I was hunting. Maybe. Would have to be pretty big game to be worth the bother.

scootermcfly
06-16-2008, 17:56
Interesting concept...I still would not have liked being that close to the Mother of All Sharks.

dive10killer
06-16-2008, 18:10
I'm thinking monster sized catfish!

rainmaker
06-16-2008, 18:56
I wonder how long it will take for some over-excited newbie to accidentally inject himself, or his buddy..........

harb99
06-16-2008, 19:33
I wonder how long it will take for some over-excited newbie to accidentally inject himself, or his buddy..........

that brought back the image from James Bond when he has the inflator weapon that blows things up - the boss shot the couch and then James used it on a henchman

moosicman
06-16-2008, 22:39
I dont see how that would work at all. Not to mention you have to get within a foot of a shark to stab it and hold it there long enough for the air to enter the animal. Not happening

Actually the imbalance that would occure in the animal would happen almost instantly. You can see the effects of similar and even older devices used against sharks in old wild kingdom videos and some Navy Shark Defense videos(there is some footage in the movie Sharkwater) and its impact is fairly immediate (within one second or two).

CompuDude
06-16-2008, 23:24

Well, you do have to actually stab someone with it for it to be effective. And while I'll not say all newbie divers have their act completely 100% perfectly together, I've not heard about a lot of accidental stabbings being a huge problem among newer divers. ;)

buddhasummer
06-17-2008, 00:53
Next time you find yourself in "shark infested waters" surrounded by "viscious maneaters" who want to "rip you limb from limb" in a "frenzy of death" then I imagine this would be a great product, providing you can stab multiple times in all directions while doing an CESA, I want one...

navyhmc
06-17-2008, 03:31
Hmmmm? $379 for a knife? I can think of better things. Several questions do arise though: No, a bubble the size of a "BB" will not kill you. Several studies have been done where a sustantial amount of air was injected into a major vein (35cc air into a 40kg dog) with no discernable effect to the dog.

These look like the standard CO2 cartridges, how effective will they be at depth? I don't think you'll get a soft ball sized pocket at 60'.

One time use? Doesn't look like it reloads fast....

This screams sofa ninja to me.

No Misses
06-17-2008, 10:48
This is the same concept behind "Power heads". It is not the 38 caliber (or larger) projectile that does the damage. It is the temporary wound cavity generated by the expanding gas.

scubasamurai
06-17-2008, 14:03
can't bring that on a plane to your favorite dive site, also i hate to see it have any kind of failure, nice little chunk taken out of your chest or leg.

but on the cool factor it would be great for splinters

bassplayer
06-17-2008, 14:09
Is this not a throw back to the old "Shark Dart" for those divers old enough to remember?

navyhmc
06-17-2008, 14:43
Is this not a throw back to the old "Shark Dart" for those divers old enough to remember?

Ahh yes, the old shark dart. Talk about a flash back. Takes me back to the days of the only good shark is a dead shark. Thank god those days of fear and ignorance are gone!

cummings66
06-18-2008, 11:06
Interesting knife, the price is more than I'd pay though.

Crimediver
06-19-2008, 02:06
The Farallon Shark Dart is still seen from time to time. I have seen about a dozen for sale over the past 5 years on eBay. They were effective on sharks and worked instantly. I remember seeing movies in the 70's of this used to whack a bunch of sharks when that was politically correct.
One of my pals on Scubaboard used one to kill a bull shark that was trying to eat him in Nicaraugua. He turned the jaws into a piece of sculpture.
There was a hand held model worn on a leg sheath for close quarter
poking and another that would fit onto a pole for the more timid.

Beats a pair of EMT shears when the man in the grey suit buzzes you. I suspect the Shark Dart may be more effective than the knife as I suspect a needle would penetrate easier than a blade.

mocepts
07-20-2008, 16:25
Here is a video of the WASP in action.

YouTube - WASP Injection Knife vs. Watermelon (http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa_NC-_fvKs&eurl=http://www.nowhereelse.fr/?p=9499)

Splitlip
07-20-2008, 16:33
Hooper actually had the version on a pole (Shark Dart).

There is a thread on Scubaboard where one of the guys describes his encounter with a Bull and uses one. Wild stuff.

SlvrDragon50
07-20-2008, 19:56
I would prefer a projectile version..

Even if you get a good stab in, I think it would have landed a bite by then and released blood already... also a bit pricy.