PDA

View Full Version : First night dive this past weekend

Osprey
06-16-2008, 10:23
I thought I would be scared. I thought I'd go down and feel like the reef would be transformed into a thousand pointy teeth that would jab me in the darkness or something equally ridiculous and I'd run away crying to the boat

But I actually found it very comfortable and relaxing :) Seeing all the big scavengers come out was good, as well as listening to the reef wake up. After we found a loggerhead turtle in a deep snooze under a coral overhang, I was sold! I could have just sat next to it and admired it's pretty scales all night.. but we didn't stay long as to not stir it.

We didn't get to be out late sadly, just from around 8-9 or so.. so I know we missed out on a lot of real night-time life.. but I can't wait to go see it again

I can see why people would be nervous, but even as a newer diver.. it's not so bad! There is so much coming out that you just don't find during the day.. because sure enough we dove a nearby spot on the same reef the next afternoon and everything was a complete 180 of what it was the eve before. VERY good, but bummed I won't be doing it tonight now that the trip is over :smiley11: Hehehe!

You all are right.. night is choice on the reef

mwhities
06-16-2008, 10:41
I'd rather get attacked at night... I won't see it coming. :)

I admit. I was scared to do a night dive. Once I did one in a rock quarry, nothing to be scared of, I was hooked. I'd prefer to night dive over anything other diving.

gthomas
06-16-2008, 11:54
Where did you dive?

cowgirldiver
06-16-2008, 14:01
I think who you are with goes a lot towards how comfortable you are on your night (or any new kind of) dive.

Osprey
06-16-2008, 16:41
We dove Molasses Reef, at the Fire Coral Caves I believe. Seeing how peaceful everything was helped a lot I think.. they were just doing their thing, nothing to worry about!

Beaucoupfishies
06-17-2008, 12:33
Not to mention we had a very knowledgable and friendly guide.

USF_Diver
06-17-2008, 20:38
Sounds fun, I hope to do a night dive this year.

dive10killer
06-17-2008, 20:57
Sounds fun, I hope to do a night dive this year.
Come to lake Tenkiller, OK.
Below 20' is lights out and just like a night dive in the middle of the day.

CompuDude
06-18-2008, 01:52
Congrats! Night diving is among my favorite types. And I do a lot of it, since weekends are precious (especially to my non-diving spouse!) so I don't get to dive every weekend, but I can often sneak away for a dive or two in the evening after work.

robwc
06-18-2008, 07:08
I've just completed my first night dive this past weekend, as part of my Advanced Open Water course. Things are quite different down there in the dark, and now I can see that my light actually does something!

Up north, the diving season is relatively short as it is, so I'm looking forward to more night dives in the fall, when the sun starts to go down early again.