PDA

View Full Version : CSSP

cowgirldiver
06-16-2008, 12:40
My son, a couple of friends and I are thinking about diving at CSSP the middle of next week (June 25-26). I have everything I need except a tank but my son needs to rent most everything (except mask, snorkel, fins). Does anyone have any suggestions? We'd probably want to try to rent early to late morning on the 25th.

Bigg_Budd
06-16-2008, 12:45
The park is only open Friday-Sunday. That's been my experience, and that's what their website has listed. Might want to call and confirm.

You can rent tanks/gear from them. Or swing by ScubaToys on the way.

cowgirldiver
06-16-2008, 13:44
Thanks for the heads up Jason. That would have been tragic to drive the 4-5 hours there and then not be able to dive. Does scuba toys rent anything besides tanks? I'm more than happy to stop by there if they do, even though it means I'll end up buying something else for me, me, me.....

Foo2
06-16-2008, 14:27
ST rents nearly anything you can imagine. Have fun!

Divingguy
06-16-2008, 14:31
Yep, call the Shop. They should be able to get you taken care of on rental gear unless some monstrous classes at the Pool and/or Lake run them short. The only problem I foresee is that they are NOT open on Sundays for you to be able to return the gear if you were planning to dive the entire weekend. You could return it Saturday afternoon late, or Monday. Talk to them and see what you can work out.
This last weekend we had a class of 16. The temps were pushing 80 at the surface, with a thermocline at 20'. Vis was variable depending upon location, and how many students were churning it up.
Tom

Bigg_Budd
06-16-2008, 15:29
And ST has gear at CSSP. If it isn't at the shop, maybe you could grab it once you are on site.

Good luck!

ScubaToys Larry
06-16-2008, 15:51
Yep, call the Shop. They should be able to get you taken care of on rental gear unless some monstrous classes at the Pool and/or Lake run them short. The only problem I foresee is that they are NOT open on Sundays for you to be able to return the gear if you were planning to dive the entire weekend.

We'll have a class out at the lake - and we can work it out so you can drop it off with one of our instructors or DM's on Sunday - and they can bring it back to us... No worries!

Walt725
06-16-2008, 16:01
We're thinking about heading to CSSP as well this weekend. Does anyone have a report on the current conditions. Anything that beats 3-5ft vis at the surface and pitch black at 30ft would be a welcome relief.

TRACI
06-16-2008, 16:16
We were there about a week ago, and vis was really good, maybe about 20 + feet.

Divingguy
06-16-2008, 16:42
Larry - great idea, and problem solved. I did not even think of people leaving shop gear with Lake Staff at the Pod on Sunday. DOH!!!!!
Vis was NOT quite that good last weekend, mainly because there were more people roto-tilling the bottom (honestly not our students though - they did great!!!!). Vis varied by location. We could see our platform from above, but horizontal vis really was a matter of location. Sometimes 5', sometimes 15. Nice and warm though above the thermocline, which is right at 20'.

Vercingetorix
06-16-2008, 17:17
We're thinking about heading to CSSP as well this weekend. Does anyone have a report on the current conditions. Anything that beats 3-5ft vis at the surface and pitch black at 30ft would be a welcome relief.Water temp is about 74 below 20 feet according to my computer (dove there last weekend).

Want to dive Athens? the 'Dillos are diving there on 28 June. Join us for food and camaraderie...and diving. Just let me know that you're coming.

When you go to CSSP, ScubaToys has it's own pavilion at the end of the right-hand road. You'll meet great people and new divers to lie to...I mean, discuss your experiences. Just don't interfere with the classes. Oh yeah...bring beer and/or food. Instructors and DMs love free beer and food. Just introduce yourself to the instructor FIRST.

texdiveguy
06-16-2008, 17:24
I dove CSSP this past Sat.,,,,was warm....temps in the 80's above 20ffw....vis 5-30ft..

Walt725
06-16-2008, 19:11
We probably won't make the Jun 28 event in Athens, but thanks for the invite. Everything looks good for this coming weekend at CSSP. I have a meeting on Friday morning which puts me 2 hours closer to Dallas, so the stars seem to be aligning.
Thanks for the info.

PlatypusMan
06-16-2008, 21:00
..Just don't interfere with the classes. Oh yeah...bring beer and/or food. Instructors and DMs love free beer and food. Just introduce yourself to the instructor FIRST.

I will be there this weekend with an OW class.

Bring LOTS of food. :smiley36:

PPM

texdiveguy
06-16-2008, 21:04
The Texas Swamp Divers/DIMWITS will be out in force this weekend also...just look for the DIMWIT flag and shirts.