PDA

View Full Version : Delayed SMB and Reel

Judestudio
07-10-2007, 20:53
Newbie here, just trying to learn.

How do you use a delayed SMB and reel properly? When do you use them?

I see them around all the time, I guess I'm too "baby" to be told by my fellow "senior" tech divers what they are and how they're used. But I wanna find out smileys/smiley1.gif

Storm
07-10-2007, 23:34
They are sent from the bottom or depth to use as marker for surface support or as a reference by the diver.
<div>They can be inflated oraly through a valve, by a LP hose, by inserting a 2nd stage or similar into an open bottom or exhaling intoan open bottom.</div>
<div>The procedures can be tricky. There are some links around but I cannot access them right now.</div>
<div>I do predominantly drift diving, and if you seperate from the towed float, you want to send a marker up. </div>
<div>It is not pretty when I do it, but I manage. I carry 2. A 3 footer and a 6 footer. The smaller ones are easier. Less gas to impact buoyancy</div>

Here's a video of a DSMB deployment.

http://www.zippyvideos.com/4875554891223826/smbdeploy/

I carry one and a surface sausage. The trickiest part for me is remembering to exhale while inflating the DSMB. I find it helps with offsetting the additional buoyancy caused by the DSMB.

Blindref757
07-11-2007, 01:22
Cool Video! Thanks Storm for sharing that.

Sawatdee
07-11-2007, 10:27
We normally deploy them from our first deco stops. That is to alert the boat of where we are so that it will follow us while we drift during the deco.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>We usually carry 2,1 orange and 1 yellow. The yellow onesignals trouble. I inflate them from my octopus or the exhaust of my regulator.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>There are some more training videos in youtube, try searching the keyword SMB or lift bag deploy.</DIV>

DallasNewbie
07-11-2007, 15:37
When drift diving in Cozumel the DM will usually deploy one before the safety stop. It's a good reference for the free ascent, and it lets the boat know that we are there and on the stop.

przeor
07-16-2007, 02:01
It's a really good skill to have-I try to practice on each dive we do around here so that I'll (hopefully) be able to smoothly deploy when needed. So far I've only really had to use it twice- both times were on vacation when we surfaced quite a bit aways from the boat. Our Dive Alert has helped us a few times as well, quite a handy device that we always pair with our SMBs.

caroswin
09-02-2007, 03:55
I'd never used one before and got myself into all sorts of trouble with the reel letting out too much line and getting caught up. What my friend does is wraps 5m of line around his SMB with a brass clip on the end. At 5m he holds the SMB and drops the line, the clip causing it to sink. Letting the line run through his fingers he inflates the buoy and then hangs onto the clip for the safety stop. Coming back up he just wraps the line back up around his hand. It takes out all the pain of the extra line in the reel.

WV Diver
09-02-2007, 07:16
Here's another.

http://www.divetekadventures.com/Videos/VideoShotBag.htm

scubasamurai
09-02-2007, 08:40
during the cozumel dive i had a float come up between my legs when i was getting on the boat. me and the DM were like ticked because the dive group leader didn't check what was about him. thank god we had people still in the water and the motor wasn;t on

Splitlip
03-21-2010, 14:57
I'd never used one before and got myself into all sorts of trouble with the reel letting out too much line and getting caught up. What my friend does is wraps 5m of line around his SMB with a brass clip on the end. At 5m he holds the SMB and drops the line, the clip causing it to sink. Letting the line run through his fingers he inflates the buoy and then hangs onto the clip for the safety stop. Coming back up he just wraps the line back up around his hand. It takes out all the pain of the extra line in the reel.

He was good until he started wrapping line around his hand. Even fully inflated and at the surface, the marker should not be attached to the diver.

Aside from the wrapping around the hand, this was the first successful procedure I used. I prefer launching early and deep these days however.

greylion
03-21-2010, 15:19

He was good until he started wrapping line around his hand. Even fully inflated and at the surface, the marker should not be attached to the diver.

Aside from the wrapping around the hand, this was the first successful procedure I used. I prefer launching early and deep these days however.

I like to send mine up around 30 ft and then wind the line up on my spool as I ascend.

chilly willy
03-21-2010, 15:25

Just out of curiosity Splitlip, are you yanking on Boates chain?:smiley36:

Splitlip
03-21-2010, 16:36

Glad somebody finally noticed. Not really yanking on Boates (sorry Girl:)), rather the discussion, LOL.

But it was a fun exercise to view the first posts of the "regulars".

chilly willy
03-21-2010, 16:40

Glad somebody finally noticed. Not really yanking on Boates (sorry Girl:)), rather the discussion, LOL.

But it was a fun exercise to view the first posts of the "regulars".

I was wondering if somebody was going to say something before I did. I noticed you got Mark also.:smiley32: