PDA

View Full Version : First dive in Fort Lauderdale - thoughts

bassplayer
06-17-2008, 09:19
My buddy and I have the opportunity to do our first dive in Fort Lauderdale. We are from Canada (Great Lakes diving xp). This will be our first Ocean dive, so we are looking for a dive that is not too challenging, but still interesting. Reefs, wrecks ??? My only stipulation is that I want to do a boat charter and not a beach dive. While on the subject of charters, who do you like? We are travelling the last week of January 2009. I understand the water is in the 70F range at that time. The cold does not generally bother me, but does my 3mm shorty sound crazy?

CORRECTION:
The dive location is DAYTONA BEACH not Fort Lauderdale....sorry for the mix up everyone.

Bigg_Budd
06-17-2008, 10:07
FTL is fun to dive. Plenty of easy drift dives, and lots of wrecks. Nothing too challenging, although the current can be a b!tch.

Check out Force-E Scuba. They have relationships with a network of boat captains, and can basically charter any dive you want to do.

As far as wrecks I would recommend the Sea Emperor, Rodeo 25 and the Captain Dan.

bassplayer
06-17-2008, 10:20
FTL is fun to dive. Plenty of easy drift dives, and lots of wrecks. Nothing too challenging, although the current can be a b!tch.

Check out Force-E Scuba. They have relationships with a network of boat captains, and can basically charter any dive you want to do.

As far as wrecks I would recommend the Sea Emperor, Rodeo 25 and the Captain Dan.

thanks for the tip

bassplayer
06-17-2008, 11:44
Well do I ever feel like an idiot. Been researching all day about Fort Lauderdale when apparently my destination is Daytona Beach....SORRY everyone.

I googled and found a shop called Sea Dog Divers-Daytona Beach / New Smyrna Beach - Dive Charters 42 Ft. Newton Dive Boat 386-424-1644 (http://www.seadogdiver.com)
Anyone familiar with them?

Sorry again. Must learn to look before I leap

thor
06-17-2008, 13:36
If its your first ocean dive, just be aware that in Fla it is a lot drift diving, and you will be dealing with current. Stay close to your buddy, and carry a safety sausage. Also, depending upon the day, the seas can be rough, when you are on the boat. Bring some ginger candy. The east coast of Fla has some great dive spots. I've only been as far north as Jupiter, so can't help you with specifics.

blue37
06-17-2008, 21:14
Too bad your not doing FTL... was just there last week on vacation... used FORCE-E as Big Budd mentioned (took his advice from a previous thread).

Excellent experience!

Great wreck and drift dives, along with a couple of beach dives.

Truered1
06-19-2008, 14:41
Force-E is pretty good, I use South Florida Diving Headquarters the most, next to Diversity. They always go out and only cancel in really bad weather. Robert the DM is THE BEST and you will never be disappointed, went down with them on the 7th and again the 17th of this month. The Emporer is great, can interact with the stingrays and one of the eels is very friendly. The Mariner is a great beginner wreck and the Rodeo is good for Advanced (current was horrible but the dive was worth it) - Happy Diving

blue37
06-19-2008, 18:38
Yeah, almost landed on the stingray on my dive on the Sea Emperor... missed the eel, though. My favorite was the Jay Scutti... great visability and calm seas on that day.

Splitlip
06-20-2008, 22:31
Daytona is not what I would cal a dive Mecca. Don't know if you are down for biz or pleasure, but the the gulfstream and viz is too far out.
If you have the time, head south to Jupiter. that is about as far north as you can go for the warm and clear water before Florida makes the bend. Big fish too. Probaly see a shark or two. Jupiter is a dive you will remember. Use these guys.
WWW.Jupiterdivecenter.com (http://www.Jupiterdivecenter.com)
Gerry is the new owner the last few years. They are on the water, complete dive shop, two boats and great folks.
It will be a drift dive. Just relax and carry a sausage.

bassplayer
06-22-2008, 08:23
Well everyone convinced me to go further south, so I convinced my buddy that we will just have to get up extra early that day. So I am hoping we can make it to Jupiter.

Thanks for all the input everyone

Grin
06-23-2008, 07:51
5 mil suit for Jan in Jupiter. In Daytona a 5 mil minimum. You will pronbaly be disapointed with a looky dive in Daytona. Jupiter and South for looky diving. Difference is: warm water/great vis/short ride/ beautiful reef vs cold water/ possibly zero vis/long ride(if you can find a dive charter at all in that area)/ rock bottom.