PDA

View Full Version : What do you store your equip in to travel??

LRDWILDER
06-17-2008, 11:13
So I have a Nikon d40 with a ikelite housing, dome port two lenses and two strobes.....I have only travelled with it once and it was a pain in the a*% to try and pack........My question is what do you all use??? Pelican Box??? What size fits it all and what can I carry one??

CompuDude
06-17-2008, 12:12
DSLRs often pretty much require a pelican case. Plan on excess luggage fees. :(

One alternative, depending on the details of your rig, is a photographers backpack from Tamrac, LowePro, and other serious photo gear makers. I'm not sure how well they accommodate the dome, but perhaps that could be packed separately if needed?

I think the biggest Pelican case you can carry on (pray they don't weight it!) is the 1610 roller case. Works well, if you can fit everything in.

LRDWILDER
06-17-2008, 12:34

One alternative, depending on the details of your rig, is a photographers backpack from Tamrac, LowePro, and other serious photo gear makers. I'm not sure how well they accommodate the dome, but perhaps that could be packed separately if needed?

I think the biggest Pelican case you can carry on (pray they don't weight it!) is the 1610 roller case. Works well, if you can fit everything in.

Yeah luckily on the airline I travel I'm a gold status member...(please hold the ooooooohhhh and aaaahhhhs) so I've been lucky and never been asked about weight of carryons and always been exempt from extra baggage weight....

With the pelican box do you know if the inside foam is standard or extra?

CompuDude
06-17-2008, 12:38

Yeah luckily on the airline I travel I'm a gold status member...(please hold the ooooooohhhh and aaaahhhhs) so I've been lucky and never been asked about weight of carryons and always been exempt from extra baggage weight....

With the pelican box do you know if the inside foam is standard or extra?

Totally depends on where you buy it from. So be alert. I've gotten burned by that before... thought I was getting a great deal, but didn't notice that the line item said "no foam" even though the photo showed it with foam. :(

Good prices on ebay, Amazon, LeisurePro, B&H Photo and sometimes cases4less.com.

thesmoothdome
06-17-2008, 12:54
I'm pretty sure the 1610 is too big for a carryon. Even so, with the housing, 2 strobes and 2 ports, I don't have any room for the camera gear itself. I've got that tucked away into a Lowepro Computrekker AW+ which I'll carry on board and stick the pelican case in baggage.

Pelican 1610 dimensions: 24.71" x 19.58" x 11.93"

Check with your airline to see if that would be a go. I know with the weight of mine, I definately wouldn't want it to fall on my head from the overhead bin :(

LRDWILDER
06-17-2008, 13:10
...... I know with the weight of mine, I definately wouldn't want it to fall on my head from the overhead bin :(

Thats why I put it over the abnoxious screaming child two seat over:smiley20:

thor
06-17-2008, 13:17
I have a Lowepro backpack (I think it is the trecker, or the Orion Trecker) and it fits all of my necessary camera equipment and housings and it is carry on. It also fits under the seat on most flights. It is very durable, although the one I have is not waterproof. I think they now make waterproof versions.

CompuDude
06-17-2008, 13:25
I'm pretty sure the 1610 is too big for a carryon. Even so, with the housing, 2 strobes and 2 ports, I don't have any room for the camera gear itself. I've got that tucked away into a Lowepro Computrekker AW+ which I'll carry on board and stick the pelican case in baggage.

Check with your airline to see if that would be a go. I know with the weight of mine, I definately wouldn't want it to fall on my head from the overhead bin :(

Odd, I could swear that when I purchased it, I had read something about it being the biggest you could carry on. It certainly seems a little smaller than my usual carry-on, when I think about it, but perhaps I'm picturing it wrong. I'll check mine when I get home.

Regardless, yes, always check with the airline.

Damselfish
06-17-2008, 14:45
Pelicans are heavy. My husband has some old hard sided Samsonite roll-aboard he's used for years that is much lighter. It's mostly worked out pretty well. (Until lately, it's gotten to where he has so much in there he ditched the foam and and wraps things in bubble wrap instead. Not the greatest if he would have to check, and a mess of a jigsaw puzzle when TSA wants to see it which is pretty much all the time.)

Anyway, even something like that is too big for carryon on small planes or airlines with tight limits, so he's starting over trying to come up with a new plan. He looked at a bunch and bought the Tamrac Expedition SLR backpack. He can fit his housing (with camera mounted), 6" dome port, flat port, lenses, and misc stuff in it. Strobes and arms (less delicate and less interesting to steal) and of course tools will probably go in checked in some kind of case.

He also bought the Canon Deluxe Photo backpack but returned it, much smaller than the Tamrac and couldn't come close to fitting what he needed in there. He had also tried one of the Lowepro ones a few years ago and it didn't work well for him either, but I don't recall which one.

Aussie
06-17-2008, 17:28
I use a pelican 1620.

it holds the following:

Ikelite housing for D80 & Camera
Ikelite 8 inch dome & Tokina 10-17
Ikelite 60mm port & lens
ikelite 105mm port & lens
2x ikelite ds125 strobes and 1.25inch arms
2x ikelite ds125 spare batteries & charger
Sigma 17-70 macro
spare batteries and charge for D80
Little zip bag with spare silcon grease, lens cleaner, lens cloth, spare o-rings, more spar o-rings, spare parts for housings.

I also put in laminated photo copy of my dive cert, divers licence and passport in behind the lid just in case.

It weights about 25kg fully loaded.

If your afraid of excess baggage dont buy a DSLR. As stated above being a member of a airline club can help alot when your flying alot. Often it pays for itself many times over.

Aussie

CompuDude
06-17-2008, 20:37

Whoops you're right, I have a Pelican 1510, not a 1610. It does make it as a carry-on, though.

22"L x 14"W x 9"D

"Biggest Airline Legal Carry On"

Pelican 1510 Protector Case (http://www.all-pelican-cases-4-less.com/detail_pelican_1510.html)

Whether everything would fit it in it or not, however... *shrug*

LRDWILDER
06-18-2008, 08:04
Yeah I was looking at it and I'm not really sure everything would fit in it, which would make it kinda useless for me I guese. I think the tamarrac idea would be better as long as it fits everything. In reality its the dome port that makes it all a big pain in a&%!

Aussie
06-18-2008, 17:08
Yeah I was looking at it and I'm not really sure everything would fit in it, which would make it kinda useless for me I guese. I think the tamarrac idea would be better as long as it fits everything. In reality its the dome port that makes it all a big pain in a&%!

Well I can fit everything including the 8 inch dome into the 1620. But as you know it weights alot more. But I prefer to know its very safe when inside the pelican especially when travelling to remote places where the people arn't so friendly with the handling your gear and accidents can happen often. I know the gear is safe when I throw it in the back of a truck and maybe even if it fell off the back of the truck.

I can't see the problem with paying excess baggage (which i rarely pay) due to having my gear in the pelican. I think of it as insurance on the $10,000 worth of camera gear inside it.

Aussie

thesmoothdome
06-18-2008, 19:02

Well I can fit everything including the 8 inch dome into the 1620. But as you know it weights alot more. But I prefer to know its very safe when inside the pelican especially when travelling to remote places where the people arn't so friendly with the handling your gear and accidents can happen often. I know the gear is safe when I throw it in the back of a truck and maybe even if it fell off the back of the truck.

I can't see the problem with paying excess baggage (which i rarely pay) due to having my gear in the pelican. I think of it as insurance on the $10,000 worth of camera gear inside it.

Aussie

And if you're really tripping on a few hundred bucks worth of fees, you're probably staying home for vacation anyway.

Aussie
06-19-2008, 12:14

Aussie

And if you're really tripping on a few hundred bucks worth of fees, you're probably staying home for vacation anyway.

The most I have ever paid on a whole trip would be a total of about $200. But thats also island hopping in small planes etc etc.

I recommend checking early. Having the booking agent note that your a diver/photographer as most airlines that I have delt with give you extra allowances for dive gear and camera gear. Be polite to the check-in person ALWAYS goes along way. Most of the time I get away with ALOT of excess baggage.

Aussie

thesmoothdome
06-19-2008, 12:41
:smiley19:

Aussie

The most I have ever paid on a whole trip would be a total of about $200. But thats also island hopping in small planes etc etc.

I recommend checking early. Having the booking agent note that your a diver/photographer as most airlines that I have delt with give you extra allowances for dive gear and camera gear. Be polite to the check-in person ALWAYS goes along way. Most of the time I get away with ALOT of excess baggage.

Aussie

So you're saying that being POLITE to people and treating them the way you want to be treated actually has benefits. How un-American :smiley19: Seriously, it always amazes me how few people have decent inter-personal skills when under a little stress. A smile goes a long way. :sunsmiley:

Aussie
06-19-2008, 12:50
You getting excited about your trip smoothdome?

Well you should be as PNG is AWESOME!!!!!!

Where you going when your over here?

Aussie

thesmoothdome
06-20-2008, 11:09
You getting excited about your trip smoothdome?

Well you should be as PNG is AWESOME!!!!!!

Where you going when your over here?

Aussie

We'll be starting off at Loloata Beach Resort for 5 nights and 3 days of diving. From there, it's off to Rabaul to pick up the Star Dancer for 9 days and 7 1/2 of diving. We'll dive Rabaul/Duke of York, Fathers and Kimbe Bay. After a few days of laying around in Goroka, we'll be over in Fiji at the Wananavu Beach Resort for 8 nights and 6 days of diving the Bligh Water.

I'm totally stoked and a little stressed. We have a short layover in Fiji which has me a little concerned. Once past that obstacle, it'll be nothing but eat, sleep, dive.