PDA

View Full Version : Disney's Epcot Divequest - Lookout!

NitroWill
06-17-2008, 13:23
Well, as some of you all know - and for those who don't - I figured I would post instead of repeating myself 50x :)

I just made it official today - I am Disney's newest Divemaster at the Living Seas! Will be working at the Living Seas with the Divequest program, feedings, coral cleaning/repairs, etc! I think I also may assist the Snorkel program as well - not 100% sure yet!

So if anyone here plans on doing the dive shoot me a message and I'll let you know if I am working or not!

Dive Quest (http://epcotdivequest.com/)

Will

cowgirldiver
06-17-2008, 13:25
How very cool!!! Is that going to be your real job? If so, that's even cooler!!!

mwhities
06-17-2008, 13:26
Congrats Will! That's quite a feat being there was a LOT of applicants for that position. I guess I need to honor my word and bring my son down to see you. :)

Michael

Foo2
06-17-2008, 13:27
Yay for Will! That is very exciting. Let us know how it goes when you start!

NitroWill
06-17-2008, 13:37
How very cool!!! Is that going to be your real job? If so, that's even cooler!!!

Yep, sure will be! :)

Congrats Will! That's quite a feat being there was a LOT of applicants for that position. I guess I need to honor my word and bring my son down to see you. :)

Michael

Yep! Just let me know when - need to book in advance - it feels up pretty quick!

Yay for Will! That is very exciting. Let us know how it goes when you start!

I start Monday and will post then!

scubasamurai
06-17-2008, 13:57
congrads i guess you missed your discount. working july 4th i will be there at the 430 show and the wife and kids as well this time
eating dinner in the coral reef

scootermcfly
06-17-2008, 14:18
That is Awesome! The Disney Dive is on my someday list. Congrats on the job.

mike_s
06-17-2008, 15:13
Well, as some of you all know - and for those who don't - I figured I would post instead of repeating myself 50x :)

I just made it official today - I am Disney's newest Divemaster at the Living Seas! Will be working at the Living Seas with the Divequest program, feedings, coral cleaning/repairs, etc! I think I also may assist the Snorkel program as well - not 100% sure yet!

So if anyone here plans on doing the dive shoot me a message and I'll let you know if I am working or not!

Dive Quest (http://epcotdivequest.com/)

Will

Congrats!

I guess I'll see you next Tuesday!

-Mike

Clanggedin
06-17-2008, 15:29
Gratz! Next time I go to Florida I'll be sure to do an Epcot dive.

mselizann
06-17-2008, 15:45
Congratulations! what a cool job

unclepooty
06-17-2008, 15:58
congrats will!

SkuaSeptember
06-17-2008, 16:00
Living the dream! Congrats!

NitroWill
06-17-2008, 17:32
congrads i guess you missed your discount. working july 4th i will be there at the 430 show and the wife and kids as well this time
eating dinner in the coral reef

OK - Remind me when it gets closer - who knows what my schedule will be like - but I'm sure I will be there!

Congrats!

I guess I'll see you next Tuesday!

-Mike

Are you doing the dive too? Which one? I probably wont be leading that quickly - but might be around.

And thanks to everyone else for the Congrats!! :smiley20:

Mtrewyn
06-17-2008, 17:56
congrats on the new Job How COOL :smiley20::smiley32:

I'm comming down in the middle of oct, Don't know if I'll do the dive or not would like to, but that is still up in the air.

jwdizney
06-17-2008, 18:14
Congrats again, Will! AWESOME!!!!:smiley20:

Beaucoupfishies
06-17-2008, 20:23
Well done!

Osprey and I will be doing a dive there this Sunday 6/22. I think she's messaging you about it on Facebook or something though. :)

mike_s
06-17-2008, 20:42
Are you doing the dive too? Which one? I probably wont be leading that quickly - but might be around.

yep. sent you a PM.

Charles R
06-17-2008, 21:07
I was prying for you to get this opportunity congratulations Will.:smiley20:

Navy OnStar
06-17-2008, 21:13
Congrats. Now you have to get a new hobby since diving is your job!

rumblefish
06-17-2008, 21:31
Whoa, that's so awesome. Do you think that you can do a little write up about what's it like to work for the "Cult of the Mouse"? I think more than a few of us have always thought about working there.

Osprey
06-17-2008, 22:01
I am the MASTER at bugging Will through facebook messages :)

NitroWill
06-17-2008, 22:44
Well done!

Osprey and I will be doing a dive there this Sunday 6/22. I think she's messaging you about it on Facebook or something though. :)

Yea - I don't start til Monday - so I won't be there yet..

I was prying for you to get this opportunity congratulations Will.:smiley20:

Thanks for prying - it's much appreciated :smiley2:

Congrats. Now you have to get a new hobby since diving is your job!

no way - i wouldnt want to be doing anything else!!

Whoa, that's so awesome. Do you think that you can do a little write up about what's it like to work for the "Cult of the Mouse"? I think more than a few of us have always thought about working there.

Sure - I can update this thread with the first week on the job details :)

Vercingetorix
06-18-2008, 06:55
Nice going!!!:smiley32::smiley32:

And this, from the same guy, who was dumping his gear last summer because he was quitting diving...

I'll be diving at Epcot DiveQuest sometime between 23-26 December. I'll email you a week before to get your work schedule so I can schedule dive for day that you're working.

Now...if I can just convince the wife that I NEED another dive along the Florida coast. She actually want US to spend time TOGETHER on our vacation. What's up with that?

cummings66
06-18-2008, 07:07
Congrats, does that mean you've got to buy some dive gear now or did you keep enough of it? Have fun.

NitroWill
06-18-2008, 07:32
And this, from the same guy, who was dumping his gear last summer because he was quitting diving...

I'll be diving at Epcot DiveQuest sometime between 23-26 December. I'll email you a week before to get your work schedule so I can schedule dive for day that you're working.

I was never quitting diving. I just has to sell all my gear to finish off paying for my hospital bills. Just let me know!

Congrats, does that mean you've got to buy some dive gear now or did you keep enough of it? Have fun.

I have pretty much all my own gear - but I use the gear they provide for me - which isn't a bad thing - it's all good stuff - and sure beats lugging my gearthere and up several flights of stairs every day!

mike_s
06-18-2008, 08:22
I think if you used your own gear everyday, then you'd wear it out.

they also make divers there use the Disney gear so that outside gear doesn't bring in contaminants into the marine ecosystem and cause any disease to the fishies.

Vercingetorix
06-18-2008, 10:16
Nitro, as a dive leader, can you take a camera into the Epcot tank? I know that visitor-divers cannot (only personal masks are permitted; which is good, I have bifocals). If you can take a camera, take a few shots and post them for us.

mike_s
06-18-2008, 10:40
Nitro, as a dive leader, can you take a camera into the Epcot tank? I know that visitor-divers cannot (only personal masks are permitted; which is good, I have bifocals). If you can take a camera, take a few shots and post them for us.

you're really asking him to get himself in trouble his first weeks there?

Disney doesn't allow cameras in for two reasons. one is to keep down contaminants.. the other is they want to sell you pics and that DVD for $35 bucks or so.

you can get folks outside the tank to take pics of you through the glass. just have them be aware that the flash might add a glare on the glass.

FailedExistence
06-18-2008, 10:52
Congrats ... makes my job of sitting in front of a computer seem even more boring! :)

thor
06-18-2008, 10:56
Great news. That must feel great, especially considering the number of applicants. Now, more importantly, do we all get some kind of discount?

cgvmer
06-18-2008, 11:01
Congrats....my family will be there in early august and planned to do the dive, my daughter goes to scuba camp 1st week of July and I expect to do her OW dives right after, so she can have epcot as her 1st dive as a certified diver.

mike_s
06-18-2008, 11:06
Great news. That must feel great, especially considering the number of applicants. Now, more importantly, do we all get some kind of discount?

you can get a 10% or 15% discount by just asking. when you make your reservations just tell them you are PADI or NAUI certified and they will give you the discount when you book.

Or you can get a discount for a certain number of people. Regardless, a discount is easy to get.

cgvmer
06-18-2008, 11:10
Oh good, I thought the discount was only NAUI... it helps when there are 4 of us diving.

mike_s
06-18-2008, 11:26
Oh good, I thought the discount was only NAUI... it helps when there are 4 of us diving.

You can find the PADI 'coupon' for the 10% discount in this PDF.
http://www.scubadiveraustralasia.com/images/06PDS_memberhandbook(others).pdf

Notice I said you could tell them NAUI or PADI. (they don't actually check it when you're making the reservation).

They gave me the discount w/o asking for any proof. Actually they asked who I was certified with and then said "oh we have a discount for that agency". It was that easy.

BTW... here is the PDF coupon for NAUI. Like I said though, you make reservations over the phone and you don't have to actually provide anything, like proof of agency or this coupon.
http://www.naui.org/PDFfiles/dive%20quest%20c.pdf

NitroWill
06-18-2008, 13:38
Yeah, there are numerous discounts available - I believe I posted them in the main DiveQuest thread on here.

cgv - just let me know when - I'll be there - it's a great first "ocean" dive for someone!

scubasamurai
06-18-2008, 17:20
just remember if you have the disney visa card,, you get a 20% discount, better than the passholder discount.

Osprey
06-18-2008, 23:18
We just used my Disney Visa to suck up said discount for this Sunday.. it was loooovely

NitroWill
06-19-2008, 08:08
Not as good as the cast discount - half off :)

Vercingetorix
06-19-2008, 08:09
Not as good as the cast discount - half offBut then, again, you're diving for "free". OK...OK...you're working while diving. So...you're being PAID to dive for "FREE".

NitroWill
06-19-2008, 08:12
Not as good as the cast discount - half offBut then, again, you're diving for "free". OK...OK...you're working while diving. So...you're being PAID to dive for "FREE".

Yes...it's a terrible life...:o

Scout
06-20-2008, 09:14
Hey Will,

I've never met you, but have enjoyed your posts. I'm taking my family of 4 diving in the Seas on July 8 or 9 (can't remember). I'll ask around for you when we get there.

Good luck in the new adventure (job)!

Scout

diok9
06-20-2008, 09:21
I did that dive last year with my wife and we had a great time. Good luck to you!

NitroWill
06-20-2008, 09:51
Hey Will,

I've never met you, but have enjoyed your posts. I'm taking my family of 4 diving in the Seas on July 8 or 9 (can't remember). I'll ask around for you when we get there.

Good luck in the new adventure (job)!

Scout
Let me know what date.- I should know if I'll be working about a week in advance!

I did that dive last year with my wife and we had a great time. Good luck to you!

Yall will have to come back - thanks!!

plot
06-21-2008, 19:21
Well done, if i ever decide to goto florida i'll let you hook me up with that dive thing they do.

Disneymom
06-22-2008, 09:30
You KNOW we'll be back.....

matt151617
06-22-2008, 13:15
What's he banned for?

character157
06-22-2008, 13:29
I have heard great things about the Epcot dive-Its on my list of someday dives. Maybe next year when things slow down.

plot
06-22-2008, 17:03
What's he banned for?

Maybe someone doesn't like disney? :p

Vercingetorix
06-22-2008, 17:46
What's he banned for?

Maybe someone doesn't like disney? :pHow can anybody not like Disney?

Unless, we're talking It's A Small World. In that case, the person who created that should DIAF.

Jeeshh...I can't get that song out of my head now.

♫It's a small world after all...♫

Die!!!!!!

Splitlip
06-22-2008, 17:55
aahahahahaqhahahahahahahah stop!!!

Splitlip
06-22-2008, 17:59
What's he banned for?
YouTube - It's a small world. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkVUfeQIw6U&feature=related)

DarinMartell
06-23-2008, 14:27
Hey Wil congrats! I will be down Aug 19th at the 4:30 session. I will try to look you up.

TX1Chica
07-16-2008, 16:20
I wanted to ask Will a question, but his profile says "banned". Whats up with that????

Maybe one of you might know the answer....

This probably doesn't exist....
But I'm a diver, my husband is a snorkler, I would love to be able to be in the water at Epcot together. I know their is a program for snorklers, but do they have something where divers and snorklers are in the water at the same time?

(Long shot so I don't have to cancel my dive)

Foo2
07-16-2008, 16:46
You can contact him through http://www.scubawill.com

mike_s
07-16-2008, 16:48
so is he banned permanently? like never coming back?

Foo2
07-16-2008, 16:51
so is he banned permanently? like never coming back?

Correct

Vercingetorix
07-16-2008, 22:20
But I'm a diver, my husband is a snorkler, I would love to be able to be in the water at Epcot together. I know their is a program for snorklers, but do they have something where divers and snorklers are in the water at the same time?Try contacting Disney at ask if a snorkeler can go into the tank with you. He won't have a c-card, so he won't have a tank. He'll probably pay the same price as you ($140 - 20% discount)

violakat03
07-16-2008, 22:48
But I'm a diver, my husband is a snorkler, I would love to be able to be in the water at Epcot together. I know their is a program for snorklers, but do they have something where divers and snorklers are in the water at the same time?Try contacting Disney at ask if a snorkeler can go into the tank with you. He won't have a c-card, so he won't have a tank. He'll probably pay the same price as you ($140 - 20% discount)

When doing research about it, I remember reading that only certified divers were allowed on the dive and that snorkelers/non-divers must participate in the snorkeling program, which does not run at the same time as diving.

jwdizney
07-17-2008, 21:57
that's true.. gotta have a c-card to even get in on the dive. no snorkelers. good motivation to get certified though! :smiley36: