PDA

View Full Version : Rs-130

TexasDivers
06-17-2008, 20:36
Howdy All,

Looking for some insight on the RS-130. I have seen a few posts here and there in reference to it but I was looking for more insight on this reg. The wife and I are getting ready to buy our own gear and this is the reg we are both looking at as we are trying to stay on a bit of a budget (incentive check :smiley32:).

How well does it breathe for you?
Has it been a durable reg?
Any differences at depth?
Any drawbacks that you have found?

Any help is much appreciated.

Scott

mike_s
06-17-2008, 21:15
check out this thread...

http://forum.scubatoys.com/regulators/2376-rs-130-a.html

TexasDivers
06-18-2008, 08:16
Thanks for the link. This is looking like it will work out to be a nice reg. I did check it out on a visit to scubatoys and now I can see others are diving it with out problems. :)

mike_s
06-18-2008, 08:21
I think in the long run you'll want a higher end reg... but nothing wrong with this one as a starter....

you can always use this one as a pony bottle reg later on. or sell if for use as that.

LRDWILDER
06-18-2008, 10:38
Not to self promote, but in the used catagorie I'm selling an almost brand new RS-230 a great reg, for $125....I understand wanting to buy a new reg though....I'm one of those guys!

mike_s
06-18-2008, 11:03
Not to self promote, but in the used catagorie I'm selling an almost brand new RS-230 a great reg, for $125....I understand wanting to buy a new reg though....I'm one of those guys!

yeah..> I saw that and though it was a pretty decent price for that reg used.

TexasDivers
06-18-2008, 11:47
Yep this being my first reg and not a lot of experience with what to look for on used equipment I tend to lean towards the new one. Doesn't always make the best sense but gives me a bit of peace.

I found more info as well since posting this. Seems I keep missing the similar threads jobby at the bottom of the page LOL.

Looks like I am gonna get a list of what I am looking at and get a quote from ST and my LDS, gotta give them a shot to be fair although ST is close enough to be my LDS, and get to owning some gear instead of renting.

mike_s
06-18-2008, 11:55
Yep this being my first reg and not a lot of experience with what to look for on used equipment I tend to lean towards the new one. Doesn't always make the best sense but gives me a bit of peace.

one advantage of buying new is that you get the "free parts for life" with most regulator manufacturers.

For most manufacturers this means you have to have your reg serviced by an authorized dealer each year 30 days plus/minus from when you bought it the year before. this way they ensure your reg stayed serviced. otherwise that parts warranty is void and only faults in workmanship are covered. (TUSA is this way also.)

so on average this will save you about $50 bucks in parts a year. (You pay for shop labor for the rebuild).

LRDWILDER
06-18-2008, 12:43
I do agree with the above about warranty stuff, the problem is when you buy an entry level reg and then discover you really love the sport and want to do more diving and add a few things here or there you tend to wish you had put that money into something a little better or different. That was what I found when I went into tech...I had outfitted myself with great stuff for recreational diving but found that it wouldn't work for my needs the moment I got into tech and DM stuff. Used stuff definately has its merits with new divers......I'm not trying to push that reg on you either as I actually have an interested party :)

Also I have bought several items from ST, and have found them to be way more reliable than "most" LDS, and they gave us this great board to play on while at work ;)

TexasDivers
07-17-2008, 22:00
Well the wife and I actually went through with it and ended up buying our rs-130's and I love mine. Very easy to breath and I have found I do not open it all the way as it does breathe quite nice compared to the rental scubapro s555/mk11 that we have been use to. She loves the way it breathes as well, she just doesn't like the mouth piece. I think the scubapro has a different height on the lip area or was just sitting funky. Will put a seacure on it and see how that works. We had them down only to 50ft at this point and the water wasn't super cold maybe 70's but will be hitting it again this Sunday for more. :)

NeveSSL
07-25-2008, 03:52
How about an update, TexasDiver? :) I'm thinking of possibly getting the RS130. :)

Brandon

navyhmc
07-25-2008, 04:47
I have the RS130's dad: RS30. Aside from a little hard to breath at max depths, it's still a nice rig.

TexasDivers
07-25-2008, 09:18
I had mine down to 74ft this past weekend and had no change in the flow from it. I have only adjusted it 1 click on the side. I did find you had to suck air with the dial as low as it could get but just that one click up made a huge difference. I did not notice any free flow from it during entry/exit, paddling on the surface or during primary/octo swaps on the platforms. We did 2 dives this weekend with them 1 for 38 mins and 1 for 33 and not one problem. As stated before I am extremely happy with the purchase.

I will also say I am not sure if the hose ST put on was longer than the standard but I do not feel it try to pull out of my mouth like the scubapro I was renting. Not sure if it hose, reg or what was making it pull. Could be I finally got use to breathing with a reg as well.

Hope this helps.

NeveSSL
07-25-2008, 16:11
Awesome! Thanks for the update. All info is good info to know. :)

Maybe the hose on your rental was shorter... or maybe a bit more stiff. Who knows!? At least your personal reg isn't doing it. :)

Brandon