PDA

View Full Version : Time of the month and diving

tinkerbell
06-18-2008, 17:06
Any suggestions on how to handle being on dive boat for hours and being on your period. Usually all men and they trash the head so bad you can't go in there! Going Friday - stressed on how to handle 6-8 hours out on the boat with 17 men (one of which is my husband!)
Also, as an after thought - my husband says that being on my period will attract sharks - I am an intelligent woman and think that he is just being an a-hole.

Vercingetorix
06-18-2008, 17:15
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~dandoc/pdfdoc/women2.pdf (http://home.vicnet.net.au/%7Edandoc/pdfdoc/women2.pdf)

I was never here...

YellowfinKunkfish
06-18-2008, 19:44
Home - DivaCupô (http://www.divacup.com/)

I've never used one, but I've heard really good things about them. So far everywhere I've been diving, at that time of the month, I've had the luxury of having a bathroom handy. If I ever get to go on a boat though, and I'm going to be in a similar situation such as yours, I will be purchasing one of these!

And everything I've read says that sharks are NOT attracted to menstrual blood. Don't worry about it!

Rhonda

Monkeylemon
06-18-2008, 19:46
You might want to look into menstrual cups--they can hold out longer than tampons. One disposable brand is "Instead." (Sorry, menfolk, but if you're reading this, you were asking for it!)

Osprey
06-18-2008, 23:15
Sharks don't want our blood.. it's old after gathering for that long anyway (I know it's nasty.. but let's face it, that's biology). And diva cups are both good for you, and for the ecosystem compared to other monthly products. they are very easy to care for and keep very sanitary. There are a few brands, so if you have allergies to a certain material, try another brand. I can PM you some sites if you like

jimmysdevoted
06-18-2008, 23:42
i cant wear the cup..

but what wooudl eb smart is bring your own head.. if your not squeemish. YOu can get from the camping supply a porta potty.. it looks like a folding seat and it uses odor free bags with a dry chem,ical at the botom that turns liquid into inert solids. You can then curtain off one section as off limits as there you have it.
j

tinkerbell
06-19-2008, 09:49
THANKS ALOT. SEVERAL LADIES SENT INFO ON THIS. WILL LET YA KNOW. DIVING ON THE LOBSTER LEDGE OFF WILMINGTON, NC COAST 110' FRIDAY 20TH.

I've never used one, but I've heard really good things about them. So far everywhere I've been diving, at that time of the month, I've had the luxury of having a bathroom handy. If I ever get to go on a boat though, and I'm going to be in a similar situation such as yours, I will be purchasing one of these!

And everything I've read says that sharks are NOT attracted to menstrual blood. Don't worry about it!

Rhonda

Eurodiver
06-20-2008, 00:11
/does the happy dance
So glad I don't have those pieces parts any more.
When I had to have my hysterectomy the doctor said she could could control my problem with birth control or we could just take out everything but an ovary. I said if I wasn't going to use it any more take it.
She asked me again why I wanted to go ahead and have a hysterectomy and she thought I was still too young and my reply was "So I can wear white all summer"

Monkeylemon
06-21-2008, 11:29
OK, big LOL on that one! You made my morning.

DallasMarineBio
06-21-2008, 12:50
Ok, so I'm not a woman, but this thread caught my attention off the main page b/c working in the aquarium industry I've been asked this a hundred times...many people are concerned about diving in tanks with sharks at certain times of the month...Having seen literally hundreds of volunteers dive in very close proximity to sharks, many times during their period I can say that I've never seen any altered behaviour in the sharks, let alone aggression or interest.

The answer I got from DAN was that menstrual erythrocytes (red blood cells) are already lysed (burst) and do not have the same properties as live cells.

This makes sense to me from feeding many sharks 1st hand - if you collect a bunch of blood from frozen seafood and pour it in a shark tank, you will get a reaction - but pour in some blood from fresh seafood and you have a feeding frenzy on your hands in under a min.

Just my $0.02 - for what it's worth

mselizann
06-21-2008, 14:08
THANKS ALOT. SEVERAL LADIES SENT INFO ON THIS. WILL LET YA KNOW. DIVING ON THE LOBSTER LEDGE OFF WILMINGTON, NC COAST 110' FRIDAY 20TH.

Rhonda

Please let me know how this works for you- I'm very interested in it myself.

freeski4ever
06-22-2008, 23:28

Rhonda

Please let me know how this works for you- I'm very interested in it myself.

The sharks may not be interested, but smaller fish are another thing....

Eurodiver
06-23-2008, 00:16
I think it is great they have products for women that have active life styles.

Monkeylemon
06-23-2008, 09:19
Although I have to use the Instead softcup, I know that the diva cup is environmentally friendlier than Instead. If the shoe, fits, I guess... (ew).

Osprey
07-10-2008, 10:20
For the record, and this is kind of gross TMI so stop reading if you don't want to know

I bled a bit through last dive we did, which involved sharks (NOT baited/chummed), and they didn't act any different than they did prior to the "incident". I know it's been mentioned in this thread but now you have a first hand account, ha!

So.. that's that!

jimmysdevoted
07-10-2008, 19:19
I ahd to use one many years back when i was bleeding so much I need to get blood... uterine artery hemmorage. anyway ity was uncomfortable when it filled.. and even more distasteful when cleaninga nd emptying and needing to insert another.. Ill stick with my method..

Now I have to admit the biodegradable sponge wasnt that bad.. more ocmfortable than tampon.. butteh one i sued was made from spun soy and corn fibers and was flushable.. it degraded by bacteria in the septic.....

julie

megzuwo
07-13-2008, 21:23
Alright, brand new to this site-as of tonight actually-and came across this post and can't help but be interested! I'm on a military base where the ratio is about 10 males to every female...if you're lucky. Bah! Anyways, chances are 9 times out of 10 it's me and my crew of guys on the water, so any help is MUCH appreciated.

Still trying to understand how this cup works in general, if it's how I think I can only imagine it gets quite grody after 12 hours, and...blech, smelly? But if it does the job for the water bit, who am I to complain? Eitherway, just looking for more comments on it! Thanks!

Osprey
07-14-2008, 18:24
The cup is just that, a cup that allows your flow to pool into it. There is a tab on the bottom for removing it, most companies make it long enough so you can cut it to fit YOU properly. The idea is that you do empty it every few hours.. you can do it over the toilet, or rinse it in a sink. It all depends on your flow and comfort (and situation, of course!!). After each cycle, you can boil it to clean it, or use commercial grade cleaners. They last a good long time, so it will pay for itself easy

I hope that helps!

MelissaExplainsItAll
07-20-2008, 18:13
I am going for my AOW certification in a few weeks. The only problem beside being really scared about the deep dive is i'm scheduled to have my period.
IF GROSSED OUT EASY STOP READING

On the first and sometimes second day of my period I get it really heavy. I got through roughtly one super plus tampon every two and a half hours. I'm interested in using the cup but I'm worried I would still have the same problem. Anyone else who has a similar situation with any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

obrules15
07-21-2008, 09:54
I ahd to use one many years back when i was bleeding so much I need to get blood... uterine artery hemmorage. anyway ity was uncomfortable when it filled.. and even more distasteful when cleaninga nd emptying and needing to insert another.. Ill stick with my method..

Now I have to admit the biodegradable sponge wasnt that bad.. more ocmfortable than tampon.. butteh one i sued was made from spun soy and corn fibers and was flushable.. it degraded by bacteria in the septic.....

julie

Uterine Artery runs on the outside of the uterus on each side. If it is cut during surgery you bleed to death fairly quicky, you couldn't have been bleeding from your uterine artery -- you'd be dead.

DolphinDreams
08-03-2008, 00:54
I am going for my AOW certification in a few weeks. The only problem beside being really scared about the deep dive is i'm scheduled to have my period.
IF GROSSED OUT EASY STOP READING

On the first and sometimes second day of my period I get it really heavy. I got through roughtly one super plus tampon every two and a half hours. I'm interested in using the cup but I'm worried I would still have the same problem. Anyone else who has a similar situation with any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

I am the same way. I just got the cup, this is my first time using it, but from my experience so far I can go probably 6 hours with the cup before emptying it. that's a big improvement! :smiley20:

acceb0721
08-03-2008, 22:53
That's good to know about the sharks. I have been wondering about that. Thanks for the info.

mona
12-14-2008, 11:01
(sorry if this is TMI)
Not sure if others have had this experience but while diving one month this season even though I was at the end of my cycle I experienced unexpectedly heavy bleeding while diving. I wasn't alarmed simply thinking that my body was responding that way due to pressure changes placed on my body while diving. Thing is though was that even while using the super absorbant tampon I had some bleed through....can be a bit embarassing and just not something I really want to have to deal with on a regular basis.
I have started to use the Instead cups. Although I have yet to dive with them I have found I don't need to change it as often as tampons even on the heaviest of days. I have just recently obtained the Diva cup but have yet to try it on dry land or while diving. I have given it a 'dry run' and it is very comfortable. I like the idea that it is an environmentally friendly option and hope it will reduce some of the hassle of diving while on my period (won't need to worry about finding a place to run to and take care of business or have embarrasing leaks, etc). I'll report back on my experience once I've had the opportunity to use the cups (Instead, Diva) while diving....might be a while though as it is winter now and I dive wet so no diving until early spring :(

For anyone interested in trying out the Diva Cup, I ordered mine from iHerb.com...got it for just under $16 US (you can save $5 on your first order using the referral discount code KAS493); received the order promptly; pricing may vary based on shipping option you chose. Tip: if you use the Instead cup you can actually reuse it if you had to empty it and didn't have a spare one with you.

Shenanigan
12-18-2008, 21:46
(sorry if this is TMI)
Not sure if others have had this experience but while diving one month this season even though I was at the end of my cycle I experienced unexpectedly heavy bleeding while diving. I wasn't alarmed simply thinking that my body was responding that way due to pressure changes placed on my body while diving. Thing is though was that even while using the super absorbant tampon I had some bleed through....can be a bit embarassing and just not something I really want to have to deal with on a regular basis.
I have started to use the Instead cups. Although I have yet to dive with them I have found I don't need to change it as often as tampons even on the heaviest of days. I have just recently obtained the Diva cup but have yet to try it on dry land or while diving. I have given it a 'dry run' and it is very comfortable. I like the idea that it is an environmentally friendly option and hope it will reduce some of the hassle of diving while on my period (won't need to worry about finding a place to run to and take care of business or have embarrasing leaks, etc). I'll report back on my experience once I've had the opportunity to use the cups (Instead, Diva) while diving....might be a while though as it is winter now and I dive wet so no diving until early spring :(

For anyone interested in trying out the Diva Cup, I ordered mine from iHerb.com...got it for just under $16 US (you can save $5 on your first order using the referral discount code KAS493); received the order promptly; pricing may vary based on shipping option you chose. Tip: if you use the Instead cup you can actually reuse it if you had to empty it and didn't have a spare one with you.

Ordered one, just got it today and noticed that you get "perks" for referals via the referal discount code. Don't really care if it works! Just thought it should be disclosed.

dmdoss
12-18-2008, 23:05
im sorry, but when I seen the topic this is what came to mind.:smiley36:

Suther2136
12-20-2008, 14:40
From the DAN web site. There is tons more at DAN Divers Alert Network : DAN Explores Fitness and Diving Issues for Women (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=9)

Menstruation During Diving Activities
The Condition: Menstruation is the cyclic, physiologic discharge through the vagina of blood and mucosal tissues from the non-pregnant uterus. The cycle is controlled hormonally and usually occurs at approximately four-week intervals. Symptoms may include pain, fluid retention, abdominal cramping and backache.
Fitness and Diving Issues: Are women at greater risk of experiencing decompression illness (DCI) while menstruating? Theoretically, it is possible that, because of fluid retention and tissue swelling, women are less able to get rid of dissolved nitrogen. This is, however, not definitively proven.
One recent retrospective review of women divers (956 divers) with DCI found 38 percent were menstruating at the time of their injury. Additionally, 85 percent of those taking oral contraceptives were menstruating at the time of the accident. This suggests, but does not prove, that women taking oral contraceptives are at increased risk of decompression illness during menstruation. Therefore, it may be advisable for menstruating women to dive more conservatively, particularly if they are taking oral contraceptives. This could involve making fewer dives, shorter and shallower dives and making longer safety stops. Four other studies have provided evidence that women are at higher risk of DCI, and in one study of altitude bends, menses also appeared to be a risk factor for bends.
Are women at an increased risk of shark attacks during menstruation? There are few reported shark attacks on women, and there are no data to support the belief that menstruating females are at an increased risk for shark attacks. The average blood lost during menstruation is small and occurs over several days. Also, it is known that many shark species are not attracted to the blood and other debris found in menstrual flow.
In general, diving while menstruating does not seem to be a problem as long as normal, vigorous exercise does not increase the menstrual symptoms. As long as the menstrual cycle poses no other symptoms or discomforts that affect her health, there is no reason that a menstruating female should not dive. However, based upon available data, it may be prudent for women taking oral contraceptives, particularly if they are menstruating, to reduce their dive exposure (depth, bottom time or number of dives per day).

Suther2136
12-20-2008, 14:42
Oral Birth Control
Description of Condition: An effective and widely used method of preventing pregnancy. There are several types of pills available and most contain a combination of synthetic estrogen-like and progesterone-like substances. These substances prevent the rise in luteinizing hormone, which leads to ovulation. Also, oral contraceptives thicken and chemically alter the cervical mucus, making the uterine endometrium less receptive to sperm.
Possible side effects of oral contraceptives during the initial therapy include nausea, vomiting, fluid retention, headaches and dizziness. Oral contraceptives may also be associated with an increase in blood pressure and an increased risk of thromboembolic disorders (development of clot-like vein occlusions, which can lead to an emboli).
Fitness and Diving Issue: It has been suggested that oral contraceptives may increase a diver's susceptibly to DCS because of the hormonal changes, which may reduce venous tone and increase water retention. This could affect circulation and theoretically cause the blood to "sludge," which may interfere with the elimination of nitrogen from the body. To date, no research has found evidence to support this belief.
In fact, unless oral contraceptives pose a clinical problem for women, there is no data to show that their use during recreational scuba diving is a contraindication.
Additional Considerations: But what about contraception -- are there any specific hazards attached to contraceptive methodologies which women and their consorts should consider. Current thinking is that oral contraceptives do not impose any increased risks on women divers. Most oral contraceptives used in the USA carry a three- to four-fold increase risk of spontaneous non-fatal thrombotic events, while pills containing desogestre (and gestodene, a progestin commonly used in pills in the UK and other European countries but not in the US) may carry a 6-8 fold increase in risk compared to no pill use. When considering this increased risk of thrombosis, hyperbaric researchers have been speculated that oral contraceptive use might increase the likelihood of developing DCS or exacerbate the extent or severity of tissue injury by promoting more rapid and profound activation of the clotting cascade after a gas accident.
No animal studies have been done which support this hypothesis. On the contrary, one experiment of DCS was done with pigs wherein half of the pigs were premedicated with oral contraceptives and then subjected to chamber profiles inducing DCS injuries. The study found that extent of injuries was identical in the treated and control pigs. No human epidemiologic surveys of sufficient sample size to offer any information that is clinically useful have ever been done.
Recently the gynecologic literature has suggested that 50 percent of thromboembolic on oral contaceptives may be due to interactions of the medication with inherited clotting disorders, the most common abnormality being a protein substitution in the chain of molecules forming clotting factor V. This substitution renders factor V resistant to cleavage by activated protein C which would inactivate its pro thrombotic action. The resultant disorder is called activated protein C resistance.
Underlying coagulation defects have been implicated as increasing the risk of DCS. As a matter of fact, heritable clotting disorders have been implicated in idiopathic aseptic necrosis of the femoral head and a host of other vascular complications. Those populations with a high incidence of factor V Leiden mutation, the most common genotype responsible for this coagulation defect, should be alert to and aware of clotting disorders. Think of them when you encounter the unexpected, undeserved "hit" that just seems too severe for the dive profiles when reviewing the diver's log and history. And, of course, ask about oral contraceptive use.
Contraceptives Fact Sheet
Progesterone only pills, and long acting contraceptives (Norplant and Depo Provera)
The progestins, similar to those used in injectable contraceptives, all progesterone mini pills, and implants, have effects on inflammatory cells. High doses of progesterone have been found to help to stabilize cell membranes, and thereby limit inflammatory response to injury. Women with sickle cell anemia on high doses of progesterone have fewer and less severe sickle cell episodes. If progestins act to limit inflammation, it might be postulated that they could help limit the damage caused by the inflammatory processes that follow tissue hypoxia in gas accidents. If true, we also might speculate that long acting or high dose progestins might be the contraceptive of choice for women divers.

mona
12-21-2008, 18:55
Ordered one, just got it today and noticed that you get "perks" for referals via the referal discount code. Don't really care if it works! Just thought it should be disclosed.

Thanks for pointing that out. (I'll be sure to remember those kinds of details 'cause I can see how they could be a 'touchy' issue for some, thanks.)
Didn't cross my mind to mention...for no other reason than (1) didn't even think of it as I don't frequent that site other than for ordering my cup (2)wasn't my reason for passing on the info/didn't order from there because of that - I ordered there because it was the best price and I got a discount (3) I've only ever shopped online twice and at this particular site once; nothing else I would have a need to order from there.
I won't be benefitting from any 'perks' from that place but since I was given a discount coupon code with my order I figured I'd pass it along so others could save.

Shenanigan
12-21-2008, 19:20

Thanks for pointing that out. (I'll be sure to remember those kinds of details 'cause I can see how they could be a 'touchy' issue for some, thanks.)
Didn't cross my mind to mention...for no other reason than (1) didn't even think of it as I don't frequent that site other than for ordering my cup (2)wasn't my reason for passing on the info/didn't order from there because of that - I ordered there because it was the best price and I got a discount (3) I've only ever shopped online twice and at this particular site once; nothing else I would have a need to order from there.
I won't be benefitting from any 'perks' from that place but since I was given a discount coupon code with my order I figured I'd pass it along so others could save.

Well, I appreciated the discount!! :smiley20: Thanks!

emt
02-01-2009, 22:01
Ok, so I'm not a woman, but this thread caught my attention off the main page b/c working in the aquarium industry I've been asked this a hundred times...many people are concerned about diving in tanks with sharks at certain times of the month...Having seen literally hundreds of volunteers dive in very close proximity to sharks, many times during their period I can say that I've never seen any altered behaviour in the sharks, let alone aggression or interest.

The answer I got from DAN was that menstrual erythrocytes (red blood cells) are already lysed (burst) and do not have the same properties as live cells.

This makes sense to me from feeding many sharks 1st hand - if you collect a bunch of blood from frozen seafood and pour it in a shark tank, you will get a reaction - but pour in some blood from fresh seafood and you have a feeding frenzy on your hands in under a min.

Just my $0.02 - for what it's worth

Thanks, I have had this question asked also. Thank you for the answer.

Vercingetorix
02-01-2009, 22:21
im sorry, but when I seen the topic this is what came to mind.dm, you are a sick, sick puppy. And, I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

21isfun
03-02-2009, 16:02
Oral Birth Control
Description of Condition: An effective and widely used method of preventing pregnancy. There are several types of pills available and most contain a combination of synthetic estrogen-like and progesterone-like substances. These substances prevent the rise in luteinizing hormone, which leads to ovulation. Also, oral contraceptives thicken and chemically alter the cervical mucus, making the uterine endometrium less receptive to sperm.
Possible side effects of oral contraceptives during the initial therapy include nausea, vomiting, fluid retention, headaches and dizziness. Oral contraceptives may also be associated with an increase in blood pressure and an increased risk of thromboembolic disorders (development of clot-like vein occlusions, which can lead to an emboli).
Fitness and Diving Issue: It has been suggested that oral contraceptives may increase a diver's susceptibly to DCS because of the hormonal changes, which may reduce venous tone and increase water retention. This could affect circulation and theoretically cause the blood to "sludge," which may interfere with the elimination of nitrogen from the body. To date, no research has found evidence to support this belief.
In fact, unless oral contraceptives pose a clinical problem for women, there is no data to show that their use during recreational scuba diving is a contraindication.
Additional Considerations: But what about contraception -- are there any specific hazards attached to contraceptive methodologies which women and their consorts should consider. Current thinking is that oral contraceptives do not impose any increased risks on women divers. Most oral contraceptives used in the USA carry a three- to four-fold increase risk of spontaneous non-fatal thrombotic events, while pills containing desogestre (and gestodene, a progestin commonly used in pills in the UK and other European countries but not in the US) may carry a 6-8 fold increase in risk compared to no pill use. When considering this increased risk of thrombosis, hyperbaric researchers have been speculated that oral contraceptive use might increase the likelihood of developing DCS or exacerbate the extent or severity of tissue injury by promoting more rapid and profound activation of the clotting cascade after a gas accident.
No animal studies have been done which support this hypothesis. On the contrary, one experiment of DCS was done with pigs wherein half of the pigs were premedicated with oral contraceptives and then subjected to chamber profiles inducing DCS injuries. The study found that extent of injuries was identical in the treated and control pigs. No human epidemiologic surveys of sufficient sample size to offer any information that is clinically useful have ever been done.
Recently the gynecologic literature has suggested that 50 percent of thromboembolic on oral contaceptives may be due to interactions of the medication with inherited clotting disorders, the most common abnormality being a protein substitution in the chain of molecules forming clotting factor V. This substitution renders factor V resistant to cleavage by activated protein C which would inactivate its pro thrombotic action. The resultant disorder is called activated protein C resistance.
Underlying coagulation defects have been implicated as increasing the risk of DCS. As a matter of fact, heritable clotting disorders have been implicated in idiopathic aseptic necrosis of the femoral head and a host of other vascular complications. Those populations with a high incidence of factor V Leiden mutation, the most common genotype responsible for this coagulation defect, should be alert to and aware of clotting disorders. Think of them when you encounter the unexpected, undeserved "hit" that just seems too severe for the dive profiles when reviewing the diver's log and history. And, of course, ask about oral contraceptive use.
Contraceptives Fact Sheet
Progesterone only pills, and long acting contraceptives (Norplant and Depo Provera)
The progestins, similar to those used in injectable contraceptives, all progesterone mini pills, and implants, have effects on inflammatory cells. High doses of progesterone have been found to help to stabilize cell membranes, and thereby limit inflammatory response to injury. Women with sickle cell anemia on high doses of progesterone have fewer and less severe sickle cell episodes. If progestins act to limit inflammation, it might be postulated that they could help limit the damage caused by the inflammatory processes that follow tissue hypoxia in gas accidents. If true, we also might speculate that long acting or high dose progestins might be the contraceptive of choice for women divers.

So I'm not sure I'm following this...If you are on the pill, and expecting to be menstruating during the dates of a dive...is it better to follow your normal schedule or start into a new pack of pills and skip? It seems like they're saying that the risk is increased for those on oral contraceptives MORESO when they are menstruating...how about when they are not?

Unfortunately, it never fails that my one yearly vacation falls on THAT week, and my gynecologist has told me before that regardless of whether I'm diving or not, I can just start into the next pack and skip my period. she said doing it once or twice a year is fine as long as its not back to back which can throw your body for a loop if you're on the wrong kind of pill.

MysteryGirl
03-09-2009, 00:56

Rhonda

I wish I had known about this because after reading up why would you use anything else - ever? I agree about the boats and unless it's a luxury yacht or special live aboard a regular dive boat is not an option. (Men have it so much easier!)

I don't know who started the entire myth that sharks are attracted to this time of the month - it's just that. A myth!

Pandora
04-17-2009, 12:03

this is a tampax ad.........

too funny

scubagirlj
04-17-2009, 12:11
sooooo glad i have finally hit menopause!!!

scubagirlj
04-18-2009, 10:30
come to think of it, maybe the hot flashes are why I can use w/s that are half the thickness of others I dive with! another benefit!

Lulubelle
04-18-2009, 13:08
So I'm not sure I'm following this...If you are on the pill, and expecting to be menstruating during the dates of a dive...is it better to follow your normal schedule or start into a new pack of pills and skip? It seems like they're saying that the risk is increased for those on oral contraceptives MORESO when they are menstruating...how about when they are not?

Unfortunately, it never fails that my one yearly vacation falls on THAT week, and my gynecologist has told me before that regardless of whether I'm diving or not, I can just start into the next pack and skip my period. she said doing it once or twice a year is fine as long as its not back to back which can throw your body for a loop if you're on the wrong kind of pill.

I don't read this as saying that the risk is different when you are menstruating versus when you are not. The risk is all theoretical and has not been proven in animal models. Again, in theory, a high progestin pill may be the best choice for divers.

Your gyn has given you good advice. Just start immediately into the next pack of pills without the placebo days and you will skip your period. It is fine to do. I had my best friend do that to avoid having her period on her honeymoon. What I would NOT recommend is that you manipulate your pills in any other way or you might be compromising the effectiveness.

I've never been able to tolerate the pill. It is also not the best choice for people with family histories of breast CA and migraines. I envy being able to manipulate things around important events.

Continue to use DAN and your gyn for these questions, but I think putting this out there for other divers is going to save a lot of vacations.

duaned
05-19-2009, 14:55
Ok I am a male but my dive partner is my 14 year old daughter who only has used a pad. She is not comfortable with any other device. Having looked at this what would you ladies recomend. We are active in a co-ed scout group that dives and I don't want her to be embarased as well as how to handle this as more females join our crew it will become more and more dificult as this is not something that happens to everyone at the same time of the month?

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Foo2
05-19-2009, 15:17
Ok I am a male but my dive partner is my 14 year old daughter who only has used a pad. She is not comfortable with any other device. Having looked at this what would you ladies recomend. We are active in a co-ed scout group that dives and I don't want her to be embarased as well as how to handle this as more females join our crew it will become more and more dificult as this is not something that happens to everyone at the same time of the month?

That's a tough one! I looked at the Diva Cup website and checked out the FAQ...here's the link FAQs - DivaCupô (http://www.divacup.com/en/home/faqs/)

It says, "Can young girls and virgins use The DivaCup?"

"A. Physically, The DivaCup is suitable for women of all ages as the vagina is made up of very flexible tissue and muscles. Women's bodies are designed this way to be able to stretch to deliver a baby. The tissue returns back to its normal size after expansion with intercourse or childbirth. It is the muscles that usually need to be strengthened after childbirth.
Many of our customers are as young as 11 or 12 years old. It is ideal for young girls who are very active (such as swimmers or gymnasts) who are looking for a more reliable method other than tampons or pads. For those concerned about the hymen, please consult your physician before use of any internal feminine hygiene protection. As for all other gynecological concerns, we suggest you consult your physician.
Everyone is unique and there are many variables. Many young women use The DivaCup. Please read and understand all of the FAQs. This will help you make an informed decision!"

There isn't really a real clear cut answer on that. If she wants to do any water sports while she is on her cycle, she'll probably have to start using tampons or something similar to the Diva Cup. That can be kind of scary for a first timer. It might help if she has a trusted female adult that can help her out on that, or her physician. Good luck!

obrules15
05-19-2009, 15:58

I think the diva cup is a bit much for someone that age. I would start her with tampons with applicators jr size. If she tolerates that then maybe start diva cup.

reefgirl64
06-03-2009, 16:35
Have I said how much I love this forum?! Very excited to read about the divacup...thanks to all!

chocka
08-26-2009, 14:55
thanks for the info

Lulubelle
09-28-2009, 20:04
I know I posted it somewhere, but I can't find it.

DAN has some information about DCS risk during menstruation.

Apparently, out of all women with DCS, somewhere in the neighborhood of 50% are menstruating at the time.

When you look specifically at women with DCS who are on the pill, somewhere in the neighborhood of 85% of the pill taking women were menstruating at the time.

The recommendation is to dive a more conservative profile during this time, have a longer or multiple safety stops, etc.

PhD4JC
03-21-2010, 17:35
I researched that period -n-sharks thing
and could find no research or information that suggested that women had more encounters with sharks because of diving/swimming while menstruating (even though I've had a personal experience)

Any suggestions on how to handle being on dive boat for hours and being on your period. Usually all men and they trash the head so bad you can't go in there! Going Friday - stressed on how to handle 6-8 hours out on the boat with 17 men (one of which is my husband!)
Also, as an after thought - my husband says that being on my period will attract sharks - I am an intelligent woman and think that he is just being an a-hole.

emtdiver
03-21-2010, 23:51

Rhonda

Never heard of the DivaCup until now. Thanks for the info! :smiley20:

Pandora
03-28-2010, 18:56
If you are on birth control you can continue taking the pills and that will stop your cycle for a full week. Next time you plan a trip, plan it around your cycle. It is more of a pain than a danger of being attacked by sharks.

Kryssa
06-16-2010, 14:00
At first I was just responding the the OP but for the poster with the girl who only uses pads, this is a suggestion for you as well :)

I am on hormonal birth control so by skipping the placebo week, you can skip your period entirely for that month. Sometimes I skip 2 or 3 periods in a row because of diving or vacations. I even skipped for my wedding!

The young girl and her mother may want to talk to her doctor about it, but if she is healthy, she should be able to use this meathod and not have to worry about internal menstrual protection. Just have her time her periods for weeks she won't be diving or doing other water activities .

seahorsey
06-21-2010, 23:12
Dallas, thanks for the shark info! An eternal myth that men like to propagate, they just DREAM of us being eaten or at least scared. Now I can counter with words like 'lysed erythrocytes in menstrual blood', that'll shut them up!

For me it's been not so much the gross heads (I can hover with the best of them, and no, I don't mean underwater), it's been the question of disposal of used goods. You know they would plug up most toilets. Now I got a 'Splashbag': two waterproof plastic baggies in a black pouch with neckstrap, that works. I have a fresh tampon stored waterproof in one, and can put the used one in the other bag, wrapped in some toilet paper. Gross but at least this way I can carry both fresh and used tampons in and out of the baot discreetly, and I can change in any space that provides privacy.

Oh, and if you have those ultra-heavy periods, have yourself checked for fibroids. Very common. I had mine tamed with Uterine Artery Embolisation, few days of pain but SO worth it - I did it for bladder symptoms, but as a free bonus, for the first time in my life, I now have light, almost pain-free periods. And a tampon lasts 3 - 4 hours instead of one..sheer bliss, and much more convenient for diving!

Gonnagettanked
06-23-2010, 06:55
I have a question regarding wetsuits and I could you some advice. I've just started my ow certification classes and since I live in New England I'll need to get a wetsuit. ok here's the embarrassing part. I'm a plus sized gal. Where do I find a wetsuit to fit me?:smiley6:

John Yaskowich
06-23-2010, 07:03
Dallas, thanks for the shark info! An eternal myth that men like to propagate, they just DREAM of us being eaten or at least scared. Now I can counter with words like 'lysed erythrocytes in menstrual blood', that'll shut them up!

For me it's been not so much the gross heads (I can hover with the best of them, and no, I don't mean underwater), it's been the question of disposal of used goods. You know they would plug up most toilets. Now I got a 'Splashbag': two waterproof plastic baggies in a black pouch with neckstrap, that works. I have a fresh tampon stored waterproof in one, and can put the used one in the other bag, wrapped in some toilet paper. Gross but at least this way I can carry both fresh and used tampons in and out of the baot discreetly, and I can change in any space that provides privacy.

Oh, and if you have those ultra-heavy periods, have yourself checked for fibroids. Very common. I had mine tamed with Uterine Artery Embolisation, few days of pain but SO worth it - I did it for bladder symptoms, but as a free bonus, for the first time in my life, I now have light, almost pain-free periods. And a tampon lasts 3 - 4 hours instead of one..sheer bliss, and much more convenient for diving!

If you will excuse a man making a comment. My wife had an Endometrial Ablation last year and her periods went from "throwing clots the size of eggs" to "spots the size of dimes". She considers it the best thing she ever did (well besides marrying me). She had an injection about a month before the operation which put her into temporary menopause (lots of hot flashes for the month), then the doctor went in with a laser probe to burn away some tissue. Might be something worth looking into.
Endometrial Ablation for Menorrhagia (http://www.heavybleeding.com/endometrial_ablation.htm)

oddbod
06-24-2010, 06:33
Dallas, thanks for the shark info! An eternal myth that men like to propagate, they just DREAM of us being eaten or at least scared.

We just want to be the BIG brave hero, so you'll fall head over heels for us :smiley2:

seahorsey
06-24-2010, 22:44
John, you win the 2010 'Golden Tampon for Bravery in the Face of Female Plumbing' for that comment. I second your suggestion, don't accept these heavy, heavy periods as simply Eve's punishment - and no, you don't need to have all your innards ripped out either, which is what they'll try to sell you. There's laser ablation, ultrasound, UAE, all kinds of new methods to tackle fibroids and endometriosis. Dr Google will tell you more than your ob/gyn!

oddbod, you got the wrong strategy: if you offer to slay sharks for her, your diving dream girl will probably spit on you, for being an ecologically insensitive Neanderthal. Whereas, if you would coolly explain the menstrual blood lysis thing to other divers on the boat, now THAT would prove you had guts!

fab50diver
02-04-2011, 07:42
So...very interesting thread but can anyone who has been diving with a diva cup please weigh in on how it went?

PhD4JC
02-14-2011, 12:18
I have done lots of research about shark attacks and women divers, and there is no correlation back by research that I could find between menstruation and shark attacks. In fact, women seem to be attacked by sharks less frequently than men (even considering that they are not as likely to be divers).

HOWEVER

the oNLY time, I have ever been approached by a shark, actually, BUMPED by a shark, that I was unaware of until it swam underneath me, touching it's dorsal fin to my inner thighs and then taking off (never to be seen again) was while I was snorkeling in Panama in 2003 and was menstruating.

Quite an experience, especially since I was snorkeling alone a bit from shore (not deep, just far) and was certain that that was the "bump" and it was coming back for a "bite". Happened to take a picture of the retreating nurse shark (4-5 feet long?) by accident

8816I have seen many sharks since then while diving and menstruating and have never been approached by a shark any other time.

mona
09-09-2011, 14:58
So...very interesting thread but can anyone who has been diving with a diva cup please weigh in on how it went?

I have now used my Diva Cup several times while diving without any problems. I try to empty the cup as close to dive time as possible and empty it out again whenever I can following my dives just to avoid any mishaps. I have not been in a situation where I've had to try to deal with in on a boat (using the head) or been a full day without access to a bathroom or port-a-potty.
(A tip though, if using a port-a-potty or stall without running water/sink, take a water bottle in with you or wet paper towel/baby wipes to wash your hands as sometimes it can get a bit 'messy' to take out and replace your cup).