PDA

View Full Version : What primary light do you use?

Devin27
06-18-2008, 23:16
Wanted to get a idea of what lights are good primary lights at the lower end of the price range, under $150ish. Im diving in Hawaii for m advanced cert in a few weeks and I need some lights. Has anyone tried the Princeton Tec Led or Miniwave Led? thoughts?

I also would like to know about backups and any good tips for night diving first timers

Devin

buddhasummer
06-19-2008, 00:01
Hmm Im afraid at that price you are possibly going to be rather limited in "good" primary dive light selection, although Im no expert. It also depends on what you define as "good" and under what conditions you will be using the light, I like a robust, bright, common batteries and long running time, I only do OW and use the DR LED 500 as a primary, all things considered its a pretty good buy at around $360, I use a Solus Backup which is pretty exy at around $280. Maybe something by PrincetonTec or UK? Oxycheqs Raider? Im sure someone else will be able to recommend something that fits your budget. If you have the time look at various threads in the Light forum there are often many recommendations made by people with first had experiance with a variety of lights. Good luck.

rawalker
06-19-2008, 00:14
I use a Princeton Tec Miniwav LED it's a 4C model. It can be purchased for less than $90 I'm happy with the choice.

whitworthsa
06-19-2008, 01:35
I've heard good things about the oxycheq raider 3W LED. Think it'll be the one I go for. Only needs 3 AA batteries so the run time is relatively short.

Ryanh1801
06-19-2008, 02:36
I use a UK light cannon HID light that I got on Ebay for cheap.

Z-naught
06-19-2008, 02:37
I use a Green Force (http://green-force.com/) Flexi II (http://green-force.com/en/1-LightingSystem/3-BatteryPacks/Flexis/Flexi2.html) with HID 50 Pro (http://green-force.com/en/1-LightingSystem/2-LightHeads/HID/HID50Pro.html) light head on an umbilical cable (http://green-force.com/en/1-LightingSystem/6-Accessories/1-Umbilicals.html). For my backup light, I use a Green Force Diamond Plus (http://green-force.com/en/1-LightingSystem/4-BackUp/1-DiamondPlus.html). The quality of Green Force products is extremely high, with all its gear being modular, so one can the swap components of different models. Their performance is generally considered to be excellent; I know that my lights function beautifully. I highly recommended them.

While Green Force lights are expensive, I've seen used models go for under $300. Regardless of what you buy, I suggest you seriously consider a canister light with Goodman handle. You may even have a look at an LED light mounted entirely on a Goodman handle, like this one (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SalvoRebel9WattLED).

lemonquist
06-19-2008, 02:41
I have a princetontec shocwave led. I've only dove with it once (night dive for aow) but it did well. I dont really have a point of reference for a good or bad light... i could see everything fine.

CompuDude
06-19-2008, 03:00
I use a UK light cannon HID light that I got on Ebay for cheap.

Not a bad idea.

Add a UK Mini Q40 eLED for a backup, or, budget permitting, the OxyCheq Raider I 3w backup, and you're in business. :smiley20:

LRDWILDER
06-19-2008, 10:18
I have a UK light, its a 3 x C cell - gotta check the model, I know its a HID non canon which I've used for about 3 years when doing daylight dives in good viz...Never had a problem and it was about $95 at my LDS...There are good ones to be had out there for new divers that will work great in the beginning and the transition to your back up...I now have a Halcyon HID canister as my primary which I bought from a friend used for $250.

Charles R
06-19-2008, 10:40
Like said by others I dive with a Salvo HID Can light. New out of your price range but there are good deals used. Larry has a good deal on a Dive Rite Can light Dive Rite MR11 Sunspot HID Slimline Light, Dive Lights, Dive Rite, Dive Rite MR11 Sunspot HID Slimline Light (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=DIRMR11SunspotHIDSlimlineLig ht)
:smiley20:

Defman
06-19-2008, 10:44
UK C8 with the eLED conversion.

cmburch
06-19-2008, 10:58
I have a few 15 year old UK lights. 4AA, 4C, 4D.

I intend on upgrading to UK

1. Mini Q40 Plus eLED for night backup. I would carry this every time I freedive or SCUBA dive strapped to my gun.

2. Primary night only C4 eLED.

3. I may also get a SL4 eLED attached to BC for day & night.

I have cracked and flooded UK lights a couple of times and they were warrantied, so that is why I am sticking with them. I also stick with Oceanic for the same reason.

Travelnsj
06-19-2008, 11:08
I just got the Princeton Tec Mini wave LED. I wanted 2 things lite weight and bright....I see how it works this week in Little Cayman.

Aussie
06-19-2008, 13:05
I have a DR H10 HID with a UK SL4 eLED as backup. I also have a OMS Vega but it uses expensive batteries. I have heaps of C-size batteries which makes the SL4 cheap to run.

Sometimes I can borrow my mates 21w Salvo HID........I like it alot.

Aussie

chinacat46
06-19-2008, 13:08
I use a UK Light Cannon. Had it over 4 years now and over 100 dives.

highdesert
06-19-2008, 13:11
UK C4 eLED ... I don't believe that it's necessary to carry an aircraft landing light with you to see underwater. Even my light is too much in some instances.

caroln
06-19-2008, 13:12
I have a salvo 10W HID for a primary, a couple of scouts for backups, an OMS Vega for a bag ornament since the batteries are $$, a small Sartek led light for an additional backup, and I use any of the backup for open water night dives, and they are all fine for that. I had a light cannon, but I hated the big heavy thing in my hand all through the dive.

scubamarc
06-19-2008, 13:36
NiteRider, great customer service!

Truered1
06-19-2008, 13:37
I have the Princeton Tec Showckwave LED as my primary and LOVE IT. IT has two settings and is very bright. Plus its not just a small area, I find that it should a great deal a area for such a small light. Go to this link Ancient Mariner - Boca Raton :: Scuba Diving Photographs and Pictures - Dive Spots (http://www.divespots.com/scuba/spotID-167/photos.divespot), it has photos of my last night dive, I don't have a strobe for my camera and just us the light at night. Almost all the bright shots there are mine, only one on the lower setting of the light. As my back up and I use the UK Mini Q40 and it is good if you need a good small, light weight light.

Devin27
06-24-2008, 14:34
yeah I ended up going with the Tec Miniwave LED and a tec40 backup, the back up mainly because it was free. Im going night diving on friday. I guess that will be the true test

Devin27
06-24-2008, 14:36
I have the Princeton Tec Showckwave LED as my primary and LOVE IT. IT has two settings and is very bright. Plus its not just a small area, I find that it should a great deal a area for such a small light. Go to this link Ancient Mariner - Boca Raton :: Scuba Diving Photographs and Pictures - Dive Spots (http://www.divespots.com/scuba/spotID-167/photos.divespot), it has photos of my last night dive, I don't have a strobe for my camera and just us the light at night. Almost all the bright shots there are mine, only one on the lower setting of the light. As my back up and I use the UK Mini Q40 and it is good if you need a good small, light weight light.

Ive actually been to that site, awesome pics, you should check out the Sea Emperor right near that if you already havent. Awesome place for sting rays and Goliath grouper

OH-JJ
07-02-2008, 23:19
Well Currently I am using my DR 10W HID can light for Primary, my new OxyCheq Raider1 R2 for secondary, and my intova LED for my 3rd.

I have the HK 8D light and blew both bulbs on its test dive, after I replaced them it was a good non HID and non LED light.

ejedus
07-03-2008, 00:06
I find a good light to use for a reasonable price is a UK light cannon 100. I use the light cannon as my main and the princeton surge for a back up. The UK puts out a good deal of light for around $200. I would highly recommend the UK for anyone that's looking for a good light for a reasonable price

bensr
07-03-2008, 00:24
I use the UK Light Cannon HID as my primary. It's a great light, blazing with new batteries. It burns through batteries relatively quickly though.

My backup is the UK Mini Q40 eLED -- awesome light. You could almost use it as a primary, that's how bright it is! It's also good for day dives, to light up dark crevices etc.

Friends of mine have the UK C8 eLED and it seems quite good, and less expensive than the HID. I think it has a better burn time too. LED is great.

fisheater
07-03-2008, 01:56
My primary is a UK Light Cannon, that I got used from a diver on DiveMatrix for just a bit more than the cost of a replacement bulb.

It's worked very well for me.

DUnder
07-03-2008, 14:20
I use the Princeton Tec Shockwave 2. A good light at a reasonable price. That said I think the LED light is a better light.

cummings66
07-03-2008, 22:51
I use a 24 watt Dive Rite HID canister light. Best thing out there for night diving.

DallasMarineBio
07-04-2008, 07:43
Extreme Exposure (pre-Halcyon) Explorer Pro 14 Canister with an 18watt HID head with the old "explorer" goodman handle (thumb loop, backup knife). Halcyon scouts as backups.

diver-wife
07-04-2008, 16:35
princeton tech adventure pack, has primary, secondary, and tank light, for sale between 100-135 based on store

Eddym67
07-05-2008, 17:30
I had a Princeton Tech Shockwave II eled, but kept breaking the lock switch off. I loved the light itself, but felt the switch mechanism was of cheap quality. I just bought the UK C8 eled Plus and will see how this one goes. If no luck, I will upgrade to the UK Light Canon. The switch is supposedly "unbreakable". Oh, btw, my back up light is a Princeton Tech Torrent.

Dieseler
07-05-2008, 22:20
Right now I have an SL4 for my primary and Q40 eLED as a backup. The Q40 just isn't bright enough to me so the SL4 is getting demoted to backup when I make a can light

diver 85
07-07-2008, 22:43
UK C8 with the eLED conversion.

Same here-- @ least I think we're talking about the same lite, I have a UK 8C LED Plus...bought it for about $80 on SB.......good lite......

diver 85
07-07-2008, 22:46
I find a good light to use for a reasonable price is a UK light cannon 100. I use the light cannon as my main and the princeton surge for a back up. The UK puts out a good deal of light for around $200. I would highly recommend the UK for anyone that's looking for a good light for a reasonable price

ditto, I like UK stuff---their Q40 makes a good little Caribbean lite......

namabiru
07-07-2008, 23:36
The Princeton Tec Shockwave II light is fantastic! As for the number of batteries it consumes at a time-- rechargables are our friend. I have a Glo Toob for a tank marker (present), a Princeton Tec Torrent that could be the backup or a primary for someone else in a pinch, and a UK Mini Q40 that is a permanent fixture in my BCD pocket.

The packages are a good deal. Watch for someone selling their preboxed ackage-- that's how I got the Princeton Tec lights. For USD$60, it was a steal.

freeski4ever
07-10-2008, 16:00
I use a PT LED primary light, and love it. It's not too big, and since it's LED, the batteries last a while, and they won't break like incandescent bulbs do.

Souvy
07-23-2008, 17:48
UK 4C eLed for my primary and UK SL4 eLed for a backup. I also picked up the mini Q40 eLed. Definitely a fan of the UK lights so far, they've worked great and I've had no issues at all. I'd like the piece of mind of more than one o-ring for the seal, but I haven't had any leaks yet.

The new OxyCheq 3W Raider light looks like it'd be a great option at that price as well. I like the fact that it takes AAA batteries, is small, and has two o-rings for the seal.

ReefRatRick
07-24-2008, 22:21
I recently bought the new UK C4 ELED ($108) with the high efficiency, water cooled duel LED module which adds another 38% additional power uw and just returned from Florida diving in the "Spring Country" diving some no light caverns. In particular I dove the "Devil's Den and was well satisfied in the C4 ELED's performance in lighting up both large & very small confined spaces.

Rick

MarkN7
07-24-2008, 22:55
UK C8 LED Plus

I picked it up at ST last month but just got to try it out in the Gulf on a night dive this past weekend. Very nice light, not as bright as the HID types I'm sure but it was fine for me. My dive buddy was using a 10W DiveRite canister light that had a brighter hotspot, but mine gave a whiter and wider circle.

Battery life seems fine and I don't worry so much about dropping it and breaking bulbs (which I'm told by my other diving buddies is a real problem with some lights they have.)

frozenwarp
08-10-2008, 08:57
I'll throw another vote for the UK C8 eLED plus, I currently use it as my primary and am very happy good price-good light output-great battery life, I'm currently using a scubapro Nova for my backup. Although i'm about to change to a Cannister light and a couple Oxycheck raider backups i am still very happy with all my current lights

good luck with your choice

Coaster
08-10-2008, 10:20
I just got the Princeton Tec Mini wave LED. I wanted 2 things lite weight and bright....I see how it works this week in Little Cayman.

How did it work?

brandon
08-10-2008, 14:36
I have 2x Light Cannon, 2x SL4.

Works great... would like a Salvo 21w HID, eventually...

-B

rktman26
08-10-2008, 21:31
Princeton Tec Miniwave LED. Only used it on two night dives, but it seems like a great light.

stairman
08-10-2008, 22:27
Dive-rite 10watt HID.When I first got it it had a reddish cord and would fail.The cords were recalled and replaced for free.Then I dropped the light head at Ginnie where it hit the slab and broke.Shipped off for new bulb,100dollars.About a month ago coming out of LittleRiver[cave]the canister flooded and water traveled through the damn cord and into the head.Shipped off for repairs and they replaced the bulb,switch,cord and ballast.250.00!I love the light though.I think I unhooked the canister while fumbling with my reels or something.I may try a Salvo next,but I like all my Dive-rite gear.

RoyN
08-11-2008, 14:48
Just a greenforce canister light. Need to get a backup light soon, but kinda flat at the moment.

Rileybri
08-11-2008, 14:54
PT Shockwave LED and I love it!! Bright afordible and LONG burn time with a high and low setting! I give it a 2:smiley20::smiley20:!

frankc420
08-11-2008, 14:58
I use a Princeton Tec Miniwav LED it's a 4C model. It can be purchased for less than $90 I'm happy with the choice.

Same here.

imasinker
08-11-2008, 21:16
I use a OMS cannister light as my primarywith goodman handle, I have an LED uk mini for back up. I like not having to hold a big honking light during the dive, and leaves your hands realitivley free.

JimHar99
08-14-2008, 12:35
I use the Princeton Tec Torrent LED light. It's small and light weight and it give plenty of light for the night diving that I do in the Caribbean, where the vis is usually pretty good. Plus it uses the same size batteries (AA) as my tank light and my backup light.

BillS
08-22-2008, 08:03
I use a Princeton Tec Miniwave LED as my primary light and a Princeton Tec Tec 40 as a backup. The LED is compact and offers plenty of light for diving in limited vis water, 15'-20'. I've never used it anywhere else. The Tec 40 is small and is in my BCD pocket on most dives in case I need to look under a ledge, etc. I have no complaints with either light. However, I've never used any other so have nothing to compare to. I purchased both lights as a set for under $90. I do advise attaching lights and any other tool to your BCD so you don't loose them. I attach my primary light to a BCD ring on a coil lanyard and the backup is attached to a ring on the end of a short cord and kept in a zippered pocked out of the way.
:smiley9:

Rocky Heap
08-22-2008, 13:37
I love my light cannon.........lantern handle option instead of the pistol grip, and gotta have the rechargalbe battery pack.....crappy cheap charger! why can't they put a blinking led on it, and upgrade to Ni MH batteries over Nicad?

Come on UK, step up to new technology, not like I'm asking for Li-ion batteries or anything! Ni-MH, nicads are so 1980's.....

CompuDude
08-22-2008, 16:43
I love my light cannon.........lantern handle option instead of the pistol grip, and gotta have the rechargalbe battery pack.....crappy cheap charger! why can't they put a blinking led on it, and upgrade to Ni MH batteries over Nicad?

Come on UK, step up to new technology, not like I'm asking for Li-ion batteries or anything! Ni-MH, nicads are so 1980's.....

The NiCad pack is overpriced for what you get. Instead get good NiMH C cells from a place like ThomasDistributing.com and a decent charger, and you pay the same or less, but have standard C cells that actually work well and that you can use in other devices.

Rocky Heap
08-22-2008, 16:52
agreed on the crappy charger with the UK battery pack., but, it is compact and great for charging on the road........I don't know of any compact style 4 battery C cell chargers, or 8x for sure......I do love my rechargable AA's ni-mh, that come with a compact wall caddy/charger.

thanks for the link though!

Heavy D
09-07-2008, 12:33
I also use a UK light Cannon as my primary with a Q40 and C8 as backups. I highly recommend their products if you are on a budget and can't afford a canister. I also highly recommend the rechargeable batteries but don't go with the UK products, go with somebody else like Batteries Plus or something.

Duckydiver
09-07-2008, 20:00
I got The PT shockwave led pack from st. The primary light works well, as does the back up, the tank marker on the other hand I could do without. I'd rather use chem light sticks .

trekkindave
09-08-2008, 18:37
Speaking of Chem light sticks... walmart has the halloween stuff out and i found a package of 15 sticks for 5 dollars... thats a whopping .33 cents each.

rumblefish
09-09-2008, 18:10
Chem lights are bad for the environment and banned in some places though.

Travelnsj
09-09-2008, 18:38
Chem lites are banned are many resorts/dive ops though out Indonesia and Micronesia.

Lake Diver
09-09-2008, 19:12
UK Light Cannon, can't go wrong!

BillS
09-11-2008, 07:50
Oh no! On the third dive with my Princeton Tec Miniwave LED the darn thing quit working. The plastic switch plate on the inside had broken. It's now in the mail to Princeton Tec. I'll see how well their warranty is. Hope this isn't indicative of their products. :smiley19:

CompuDude
09-11-2008, 11:21
Oh no! On the third dive with my Princeton Tec Miniwave LED the darn thing quit working. The plastic switch plate on the inside had broken. It's now in the mail to Princeton Tec. I'll see how well their warranty is. Hope this isn't indicative of their products. :smiley19:

Their warranty is excellent.

I'm less sold on their quality, but there's no doubt they'll cheerfully replace it, no questions asked. Every time it breaks.

Diveaholic
09-13-2008, 00:02
UK eled c4

namabiru
09-15-2008, 23:23
I've got a Princeton Shockwave II. The first time I took that into the water... holy crap I was surprised. I got mine as a box set, used, and it was a super deal.

coral cowgirl
09-19-2008, 03:29
Pelican Nemo...8 cell ~ puts out a good beam and it packs like a dream.

GIFFMANN
09-19-2008, 07:26
Just picked up an Oxycheq 3 Watt Raider for my primary (will become a backup when I get into Technical a bit more) and a Tec 400 as my backup.

huvrr
09-19-2008, 21:38
Just got out of the water from a dive using my new Oxycheq Raider with the sock from ST. Wow, what a great little light. Much brighter than my Tec Torrent.

austinhimself
12-09-2008, 19:18
My current primary light is a scubapro 4 c-cell LED, the outer shaping resembles a UK 4c-cel. My back up is a UK Q40 eled

imasinker
12-09-2008, 19:41
Like said by others I dive with a Salvo HID Can light. New out of your price range but there are good deals used. Larry has a good deal on a Dive Rite Can light Dive Rite MR11 Sunspot HID Slimline Light, Dive Lights, Dive Rite, Dive Rite MR11 Sunspot HID Slimline Light (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=DIRMR11SunspotHIDSlimlineLig ht)
:smiley20:

Thats a sweet light for the price, pretty sure I saw an add on here for a dive rite 10 watt hid as well. Maybe out of your price range but well worth it.

I dive a OMS Phantom HID, and back up UK mini led. Compudude has the right suggestion and I would go with that.

dannybot
12-09-2008, 20:59
I use a Princeton Shockwave LED, puts out a lot of light, and the batteries last forever, I got over 20 dives on the original set.

CFDAlden
12-10-2008, 00:44
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/lights/pics/princetonledside.jpg
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/lights/pics/princetonledfront.jpg

I picked up one of these. After using a halogen version, and the LED version, I'll never go halogen again. :)
The UK handheld HiD is a very nice light as well.

fisheater
12-10-2008, 01:09
This weekend, I'll be testing out my Oxycheq Raider III underwater and see if it'll replace my UK Light Cannon.

On land, it's an AWESOME light. It's so bright and so focused, it'll light up tree tops a few blocks away. I'd try farther, but that's the limit due to atmospheric haze.

I'll see how it does underwater.

sea princess
12-10-2008, 22:21
I use the princeton mini shockwave led light. it is easier for me to handle and works great at the lake at night. i haven't tried it in the ocean yet.

CWSWine
12-10-2008, 22:34
This weekend, I'll be testing out my Oxycheq Raider III underwater and see if it'll replace my UK Light Cannon.

On land, it's an AWESOME light. It's so bright and so focused, it'll light up tree tops a few blocks away. I'd try farther, but that's the limit due to atmospheric haze.

I'll see how it does underwater.

Mine Raider will be here tomorrow, waiting for your review since I won't get to get mine wet till end of Jan.

Splitlip
12-10-2008, 22:35
I use the princeton mini shockwave led light. it is easier for me to handle and works great at the lake at night. i haven't tried it in the ocean yet.
I do as well. Great light. I only dive Ocean and 60ft plus vis typical.

Back up, I carry an Intova which is very bright (true backup), but short burn time; and a Princeton Tec Torrent which is not so bright but has an incredibly long burn time. (rescue)

01-13-2009, 00:47
Wanted to get a idea of what lights are good primary lights at the lower end of the price range, under $150ish. Im diving in Hawaii for m advanced cert in a few weeks and I need some lights. Has anyone tried the Princeton Tec Led or Miniwave Led? thoughts?

I also would like to know about backups and any good tips for night diving first timers

Devin

About 1/3 of my dive are night dives. I use an Ikelite PC from ST and as a backup a small Princeton LED light. Since most of my night dives are off boats in current area I also carry a Princeton strobe and a sausage with a fingerspool. I needed the strobe one time and didn't have it, now I won't dive without it.

DMWiz
01-13-2009, 07:36
Princeton Tec lights have great warranties and their costumer service when it comes to warranties is also excellent.

I have a PT Shockwave LED which I seldom use anymore, but it's a very powerful light and very gentle on the batteries. It's a bit on the heavy side, but I'll take that since it's built to last.

For the type of diving I do, it's much more than I need, I end up using my back up UK Mini Q40 eLED day and night most of the time. I'm not a fan of big powerful lights unless I'm hunting. And for hunting I'm switching to the Oxycheq Raider III and light sock (It frees up my hand) Something with a Goodman Handle would be good too, but most are more $$$ than I want to spend on a light.

Dive Rite makes a 700 Lumen LED canister light and a 500 Lumen LED Handheld light that I would consider, but the price tag still way out of my range.

acamato
01-13-2009, 07:48
For night dives I use a Ikelite RCD with one of many options for a backup. I am loooking to build a LED canister light.

My backup options:
Dorcy Dive light (just got it, I haven't tried it out yet)
Ikelite PCa
Ikelite PC
Pelican Saber

lund0485
01-13-2009, 10:09
oxycheq raider works for me in the tropics

CompuDude
01-13-2009, 16:44
The clearer the water, the less powerful light you need. The lousier the vis, the more light you'll want. Note that if there's WAY too much junk in the water, TOO much light can give a highbeams-in-a-snowstorm effect, but in most cases, lousy vis wants more light to punch through.

skdvr
01-14-2009, 09:51
I had a Princeton tec LED light that I used and worked great, but I wanted a little more punch so I bought a Salvo 12w LED that I love. So for now the Princeton tec will be used for friends to use when they do not have a light. Plenty of light for a night dive, just not real great in the day time...

Phil

austinhimself
01-15-2009, 19:50
I use a 2AA UK eLED as my back up, and am currently using a 4-C cell scubapro LED that I am unsure of the model. I purchased it from my LDS for a class night dive. Both lights perform great, Im sure they would work even better if I ever get a chance to use them somewhere with decent visibility.

The Uk e LED is small enough that I carry it on all dives for looking in holes and crevices.

USF_Diver
01-16-2009, 14:18
Dorcy Dive light (just got it, I haven't tried it out yet)

Tried mine out a few weeks ago it was really powerful for a small light, you will like it. You will need a laynard though, the stock one sucks.

jugglematt
07-03-2009, 04:55
i now use the fisheye Led lightMeet the Fisheye FIX LED48DX Underwater Focus/Modelling/Utility Light (http://www.fisheyeusa.com/led48dx.php)

i just love this light . strong adjustable beam, and the battery life is great , i can get like 10 dives out of a battery set , it also uses AA rechargable batterys so a big saving there. great for spotting critters too.
i also use it as a focus assist light with my photography ..

Matt

No Misses
07-03-2009, 11:16
Everybody loves the LEd and HID lights. I am trying to justify buying one myself.

In the mean time. I use a plain old xenon, UK sunlight D4. I sheds plenty of light for night dives. The only time that I want a brighter light is for daytime dives. When I approach a ledge or wreck and want to see inside, I need a light that can compete with the ambient light.

cummings66
07-05-2009, 07:59
I think that the canister lights are handy because they last longer and the head is easily managed compared to a normal light with a pistol grip. So, that's one big reason I go for them. DiveRite seems to be as good as any other brand out there, mine has been at any rate.

comet24
07-05-2009, 08:13
As my diving has progressed so has the lights I have used. As far as primary lights my first real one was a C4 with old school xenon bulb. As I found I needed more light I upgraded to a C8 with rechargeable battery pack. I now use a DR LED can light.

I found the UK lights to be very reliable and almost impossible to damage and would recommend them to anyone who needs a simple dive light. My can light fits my diving needs today but is overkill for most divers.

Darthwader
07-05-2009, 10:54
I think that the canister lights are handy because they last longer and the head is easily managed compared to a normal light with a pistol grip. So, that's one big reason I go for them. DiveRite seems to be as good as any other brand out there, mine has been at any rate.
I never had a choice, I got my Niterider free, and since I don't diver where I'll really "need" one it'll have to do me for a looong time to come.
If I had to go buy one though, I'd look closely at the diverrite since I've priced these thing three ways to sunday already.

bsktcase93
07-09-2009, 20:50
i dive with the princeton tec shockwave led and love it never had any problems with it

acamato
07-10-2009, 08:13
For night dives I use a Ikelite RCD light..
IKELITE RCD Lites (http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/3rcd.html)

Day dives I use the Dorcy light.

I am waiting to compare them on a night dive.....

Nemrod
07-14-2009, 21:22
Love my DiveRite 500LED kit light. N

fire diver
07-15-2009, 09:11
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to add a new comment since it has been revived. If anyone is wanting a very bright light, without wanting to spend a fortune, look at the Intova dive lights. You can find these for $50 and less, all over the web. Tusa rebrands them and sells them for about double the price.

These are LED lights, and almost as bright as a 10W HID. The LED gives them a huge burn time also. You can also get them in either a focused, or wide-beem versioin. I haven't seen a better light so far.

CompuDude
07-15-2009, 12:08
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to add a new comment since it has been revived. If anyone is wanting a very bright light, without wanting to spend a fortune, look at the Intova dive lights. You can find these for $50 and less, all over the web. Tusa rebrands them and sells them for about double the price.

These are LED lights, and almost as bright as a 10W HID. The LED gives them a huge burn time also. You can also get them in either a focused, or wide-beem versioin. I haven't seen a better light so far.

Great lights, but the only downside is the expensive and moderately hard-to-find cr123 batteries they use. (Yes, you can buy online in bulk for relatively cheap, but that's not the same as running to 7-11 in a pinch, nor does everyone want to buy in bulk!) A good alternative is the Dorcy dive light, which Dorcy sells direct (and in other places) for around the same money. The Dorcy runs on readily-available AAA (6 of them) batteries. Otherwise, the Dorcy and Intova appear to be pretty evenly matched.

gNats
07-15-2009, 12:53

Devin

I have the Princeton Tec LED. I like it a lot for its brightness and it has two light settings.

I have a Miniwave LED also - would avoid that as a primary. I like the gun handle better and a definitive on/off switch. The miniwave turns on/off by rotating the lens head. I'm always afraid I am going to turn it too much and flood it.