PDA

View Full Version : Start my AOW Certification Today

moosicman
06-19-2008, 05:36
1:00 EST. Two classes in two weeks and our check-out dives in early July. Yeeahh, baby.

Vercingetorix
06-19-2008, 07:08
Which certification agency? Where are you diving? What are the planned dives (I assume, Nav, night, deep, search & recovery)
For my AOW at Lake Travis (Austin, Tx), we also did Wreck and Scooter.

Enjoy!!!!

mselizann
06-19-2008, 07:18
Good luck and have fun! I did wreck and Nitrox with mine.

Vercingetorix
06-19-2008, 07:29
Good luck and have fun! I did wreck and Nitrox with mine.Nitrox? Did you get the Nitrox-cert as well? If so...SWEET!!!!! Multi-tasking at its best. Did you pay extra for the Nitrox-cert (if granted)?

crgjpg
06-19-2008, 08:54
Good Luck

With my PADI AOW, I did deep, navigation, peak performance buoyancy, boat, and wreck.

cummings66
06-19-2008, 14:41
I don't know if you could get the Nitrox cert or not, Padi courses like AOW offer a "sampler" of the skills, not the full blown class. I'd be technically you can't get the Nitrox card but I bet in reality most do.

Vegas
06-19-2008, 14:42
Congrats! Have a great time!
and please don't forget to tell us all about it when your back!

Charles R
06-19-2008, 14:44
At least with PADI there are no Dives required for Nitox any more so I don't think they even off it as part of the AOW Anymore but you could always take it before and then do all of your AOW dives on Nitrox!:smiley20:

longtailbda
06-19-2008, 15:13
Congratulations and good luck.

Martin2
06-19-2008, 16:57
Congratulations! What are you taking?

Largo
06-19-2008, 17:15
If I can offer my 2 cents... If you opt for 'light salvage' take a minute to turn the lift bag inside-out. Just seeing the dump valve and the construction of the bag, makes the operation of the bag make more sense.

scubasamurai
06-19-2008, 17:57
At least with PADI there are no Dives required for Nitox any more so I don't think they even off it as part of the AOW Anymore but you could always take it before and then do all of your AOW dives on Nitrox!:smiley20:

depends on the dive shop!!! i took padi eanx and the lds made (:smilie39:) me take too dives on eanx before i got the card.!! old school i know and i know it wasn't required, but they go the extra mile.

have fun with getting your aow and pick courses that you want to finish up on. but get the eanx card

moosicman
06-20-2008, 11:44
I am going through PADI and using the same instructor that gave me my OW. He is private and the level of study is intense and GREAT! For instance: I have a friend that got his AOW and during the navigation part they did it all on land with a towel over thier head. He said the whole thing was a waste of his time and money. With my instructor, you can bet that I'll be getting a ton of bang for my buck (even if AOW to some seems a waste and unecessary). He is an ret. high ranking Marine diver who just does these classes to keep busy and make a bit of spare change. He really does go above and beyond when it comes to giving you instruction that you will use. Here are my dives:

DEEP, NAV., NIGHT, BOAT, & SEARCH/RECOVERY.

My opt. dives being Night and Boat. I can read the book on the other stuff but there are alot of good things Bob can teach us about boat diving that aren't in the manuel. I'll be sure and give you a report!

scubaculture
06-20-2008, 11:47
Awesome, have fun and be safe!

TRACI
06-20-2008, 11:55
I did my classroom for AOW a couple of weeks ago, now just have openwater left to do in Lake Ouachita, Ark next weekend.

SSI covers navigation, deep diving and limited/night diving. They do not cover Stress/Rescue until level 4.

mselizann
06-20-2008, 12:57
no you don't get the card- but you get an overview and a dive..........

georoc01
06-20-2008, 13:39
Plus they can all be applied as the first dive of the specialty if you choose to pursue it. I did that for all of my AOW options. Doing Nav was very helpful when I went back last month for Rescue.

I would think doing the Seach & Recovery specialty would have helped as well.

chris408
06-20-2008, 16:41
Good luck! And let us know how it goes.

Vercingetorix
06-21-2008, 08:04
I did my classroom for AOW a couple of weeks ago, now just have openwater left to do in Lake Ouachita, Ark next weekend.The ScubaDillo Dive Club (http://www.scubadillo.org) does an annual Labor Day dive at Ouachita (29 Aug - 1 Sept). We've taken over the Spillway Resort and part of the Brady Mountain Resort as well. Each day, we take a huge dive barge out to different sites. Please come join us this year.

We have several instructors and DMs. One of these couples (David Prichard, Lily Mak, who write for Dive Training magazine) will teach one or two PADI specialties. I'm NAUI certified; these folks teach PADI. They may do Deep Dive specialty. And, unlike other shops, they don't gouge their students. For instance, they taught DAN O2 for about $25 to cover costs of materials. Nitrox/EANx costs about $40.

JimHar99
06-21-2008, 10:18
I am going through PADI and using the same instructor that gave me my OW. He is private and the level of study is intense and GREAT! For instance: I have a friend that got his AOW and during the navigation part they did it all on land with a towel over thier head. He said the whole thing was a waste of his time and money. With my instructor, you can bet that I'll be getting a ton of bang for my buck (even if AOW to some seems a waste and unecessary). He is an ret. high ranking Marine diver who just does these classes to keep busy and make a bit of spare change. He really does go above and beyond when it comes to giving you instruction that you will use. Here are my dives:

DEEP, NAV., NIGHT, BOAT, & SEARCH/RECOVERY.

My opt. dives being Night and Boat. I can read the book on the other stuff but there are alot of good things Bob can teach us about boat diving that aren't in the manuel. I'll be sure and give you a report!

Man, getting an instructor with the real life knowledge, who's willing to go above and beyond the basic course materials is great. Like everyone always says, 'it's not the certifying agency, it's the instructor".
Good luck with your AOW, and enjoy the dives.

Charles R
06-21-2008, 11:30
let us know how it goes and give a full report.:smiley20: