PDA

View Full Version : Slight air hiss in new octo

reactive
06-19-2008, 09:31
I just bought a new reg setup (zeagle envoy deluxe and zeagle envoy octo) and I was hooking it up to test it last night before I took it out on Sunday. I purged the primary second stage and took a couple of breaths off of it, then did the same with the octo and tested the power inflator. After purging the octo, there was a very slight hiss coming from the mouthpiece of the octo. I play around with the pre-dive/dive switch thinking that could be a problem but it continued. I then tried to purge it again, but with the mouthpiece pointing straight at the ground this time and it stopped. I filled up the bathtub and dropped both of the second stages in to confirm that there were no more bubbles and they had indeed stopped.

Does this sound abnormal to you guys?

reactive
06-19-2008, 11:13
I'd also like to add that the primary second stage (Envoy Deluxe) doesn't do this.

paulwall
06-20-2008, 17:56
I'd also like to add that the primary second stage (Envoy Deluxe) doesn't do this.

I had a similar problem with my Envoy, after service. Mine didn't stop, however.

It may be slightly out of adjustment. Try submerging it (pressurized) purge button down. It should start to release air when the purge is about 1-1.5" underwater (not before).

Splitlip
06-20-2008, 18:23
A simple adjustment inside the 2nd stage will fix it. I won't bother to describe it as you can damage the reg. Just take it back and the tech will take about a minute or 2 to fix it.

awap
06-20-2008, 22:41
You may have just passed a littler dirt from the new hose. If it needs to be adjusted at all, the slow leak will reoccur and should be quite small. If that happens then it is time to make a simple little adjustment.

Splitlip
06-20-2008, 23:16
I thougt that too, that there might be some grit. Did not occur to me that there might be some debris kicking around in the new hose.

My thoughts were debris or cracking pressure. Since it is a new setup, I figured cracking pressure. Just reread OP and the free flow did stop.

awap is probably right.

reactive
06-23-2008, 16:51
I dove it this past Sunday, and it worked fine. I purged it on the beach and listened for the hiss, and nothing, then when underwater, I purged it a few times and took a few breaths off of it and everything was fine. Thanks for the tips!

thesmoothdome
06-23-2008, 18:25
Glad it's fixed. Just for future reference, you can dial down the cracking pressure with a 6mm allen wrench. The adjustment is right below the pre-dive switch.

reactive
06-23-2008, 18:30
Glad it's fixed. Just for future reference, you can dial down the cracking pressure with a 6mm allen wrench. The adjustment is right below the pre-dive switch.

Very nice tip, Smooth. I will definitely keep that in mind for future handiness! As a matter of fact, I just added an allen wrench set and a crescent wrench to my save-a-dive kit. I had to switch the ports this weekend that my octo and primary where hooked into to alleviate some hose routing problems.