PDA

View Full Version : Deaf Divers

diok9
06-20-2008, 09:36
Hello everyone,

I am a Deaf diver and I am wondering if anyone knows of any groups or sites devoted to or developed by other divers who are deaf or American Sign Language (ASL) users .

Thanks!

diok9
06-20-2008, 10:31
Hello everyone,

I am a Deaf diver and I am wondering if anyone knows of any groups or sites devoted to or developed by other divers who are deaf or American Sign Language (ASL) users .

Thanks!
Additionally, i would like to know if anyone has gone diving with someone who is Deaf and what was your experience in the situation.

Thanks,

Navy OnStar
06-20-2008, 11:41
I have not gone diving with any deaf divers, but my wife and I are starting to use ASL to talk underwater. We are just in the beginning stages of trying to learn the different signs.

I have however played paintball (in my younger years) in Annapolis, MD with several deaf people and it took very little time to learn to communicate.

I wouldn't think anything would really be different under the water diving with a deaf person. The dive brief might be a little tough without reading lips a translator or writing out how you prefer to do things. All those would be easily managable with a little prep.

diok9
06-20-2008, 11:50
I have not gone diving with any deaf divers, but my wife and I are starting to use ASL to talk underwater. We are just in the beginning stages of trying to learn the different signs.

I have however played paintball (in my younger years) in Annapolis, MD with several deaf people and it took very little time to learn to communicate.

I wouldn't think anything would really be different under the water diving with a deaf person. The dive brief might be a little tough without reading lips a translator or writing out how you prefer to do things. All those would be easily managable with a little prep.

I commend you. You will learn that communication underwater is awesome if you have any knowledge of ASL. All of the dives that I have gone on have received comments from fellow divers that they were jealous of our ability to converse. And a few people said that they were inspired to learn sign language to use in future dives.

As to prep before the dive. It's critical to meet with the divemaster before hand to educate him/her to your needs. This is true whether or not communication issues are involved.

oddbod
06-21-2008, 03:38
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
Additionally, i would like to know if anyone has gone diving with someone who is Deaf and what was your experience in the situation.

Thanks,
Used to regularly dive with a group of hearing impaired divers about 10 years ago, and boy was i jealous:smiley11:, they would hold entire conversations underwater as they went. I only ever managed to learn the basics and a few naughty words and phrases.

crpntr133
06-22-2008, 11:21
I dive with someone regularly that is deaf. Not an issue at all. Haven't seen any group though.

Splitlip
06-22-2008, 13:04
I find the barage of banging, grunting and beeping under water to be an anoyance.

Only time I find hearing to be useful is surfacing and listening for the sound of motors. I was hit by a speeding boat once. I hate it when that happens.

With my luck though, I figure I'll get run down by a blow boat. Can't hear them coming anyway.

I have been on a few dives with hearing impaired divers. I too was jealous of their underwater communication skills.