PDA

View Full Version : A (Probably) Stupid question

3boyzmom
06-20-2008, 12:35
I have read a couple places that you can't wear gloves in Cozumel (possibly other places as well?) What's the reasoning behind this? Just curious.

MSilvia
06-20-2008, 12:47
The thinking as I understand it is that prohibiting gloves helps to discourage people from touching the reef. At least without gloves, if you molest the coral, it can molest you back.

Damselfish
06-20-2008, 12:50
well, touching corals and things is for the most part discouraged, and the idea is people are less likely to touch if they're not wearing gloves. Whether that's true or not is subject to debate, but that's the theory.

Most tropical places there is no need to wear gloves anyway, except for special situations (like ascending a nasty anchor line, or the rare person that needs them for some medical reason.) Personally I have no desire to wear gloves in warm water, it's nice not to wear gloves.

Navy OnStar
06-20-2008, 13:48
More prone to touching the coral was the reason for no gloves in St. Lucia as well.

texdiveguy
06-20-2008, 14:28
I don't touch coral ..... and I wear gloves in Coz. regardless of the rule....a 'rebel'.

thesmoothdome
06-20-2008, 14:31
Touching coral bad. Laying in fire coral really bad.

Vercingetorix
06-20-2008, 14:32
Of course, you could always store the gloves in your BC. Then, after you splash, put them on. But, I didn't say that...

bubbletrubble
06-20-2008, 14:40
Gloves are prohibited in Bonaire, too. IMHO, I think that those who want to touch things will molest aquatic life with or without gloves. Ironically, they may even enjoy the experience more without gloves! SB had a recent emotionally-charged thread about whether touching stuff underwater was OK or not. I was surprised with the contingent of experienced divers who said it was OK for them to touch. Personally, I'm in the "no touch" camp. With regard to the thermal protection issue, I get cold quite easily, but in the 80 degree F water of Bonaire, my hands didn't get cold at all -- even doing 3-4 hourlong dives per day.

USF_Diver
06-20-2008, 15:00
Touching coral bad. Laying in fire coral really bad.

Licking fire coral worse :)

cgvmer
06-20-2008, 15:33
HEY that wasn't a stupid question........another story for some of the answers

TRACI
06-20-2008, 16:16
I wear a 1 mm glove in Coz, and in Bonaire in Aug I will probably just have them in my BC pocket.

I got into fire coral a few weeks ago in Coz on my leg, couldn't imagine what it feels like on hands. I had to go to the doc and get a steroid shot and use a topicle steroid gel to treat.

scubasamurai
06-20-2008, 16:24
thats the theory, but i still have seen people where them , like in belize, i did wish i had them because i hit some fire coral in the dark and needless to say gloves would help. so i pack them now on every trip

CowboyFan&Diver
06-20-2008, 17:27
dont wear gloves working outside or working on cars......so i dont wear them diving....but to each his own...

Vercingetorix
06-21-2008, 07:48
I understand the argument about we shouldn't touch things underwater (I'm in that camp). However, I believe it should be the diver's choice. The gloves should be for protection, such as the fire coral incidents listed above. I'll wear gloves, even surreptitiously if need be, in an environment if it will make my dive safer. So, sue me. I won't wear them to touch things.

kevinj1
06-21-2008, 15:28
Great question. I just learned some new info from this discussion...

diver-wife
06-21-2008, 18:19
Like I tell my co-workers, there is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions

thesmoothdome
06-21-2008, 19:38
I'll wear gloves to keep warm. I'm pretty aware of where my hands are during a dive though, so I don't think of them as offering protection.

obrules15
06-21-2008, 19:55
The problem is that there are some real idiots out there (and unfortunately I have been insta-buddied with quite a few of them) and the no gloves rule is the best thing they have to protect the reefs down there. The really sad thing is that the coral reefs are really degrading in Coz and I just hope beyond hope that something can be done before they are all destroyed. I have talked to many divers who went after 10 and 15 year absences and the stories of what it used to look like vs now make me very sad.

thesmoothdome
06-21-2008, 20:17
The problem is that there are some real idiots out there (and unfortunately I have been insta-buddied with quite a few of them) and the no gloves rule is the best thing they have to protect the reefs down there. The really sad thing is that the coral reefs are really degrading in Coz and I just hope beyond hope that something can be done before they are all destroyed. I have talked to many divers who went after 10 and 15 year absences and the stories of what it used to look like vs now make me very sad.

Cozumel has also been hit by quite a few hurricanes in the last 10-15 years. Mother nature is bitch sometimes.

obrules15
06-21-2008, 20:23

Cozumel has also been hit by quite a few hurricanes in the last 10-15 years. Mother nature is bitch sometimes.

The interesting thing to me about the post wilma cozumel is that I think that the marine life is actually better, more large and small animals

rumblefish
06-22-2008, 04:34

The interesting thing to me about the post wilma cozumel is that I think that the marine life is actually better, more large and small animals

Hurricane Wilma absolutely flattened Cozumel a few years ago. Mother Nature has a grand plan though. You know how the forest catches fire during the dry season only to regrow healthy for the next season...maybe this is natures way of shedding some dry skin.

Vercingetorix
06-22-2008, 08:56
I understand the argument about we shouldn't touch things underwater (I'm in that camp). However, I believe it should be the diver's choice. Uh...doh!!...when I mentioned "diver's choice", I meant the choice to wear or not wear gloves. Not whether to touch or not touch. Sorry for my poor wording. My English poor; only been using it for 56 years.

diver-wife
06-22-2008, 19:38
I understand the argument about we shouldn't touch things underwater (I'm in that camp). However, I believe it should be the diver's choice. Uh...doh!!...when I mentioned "diver's choice", I meant the choice to wear or not wear gloves. Not whether to touch or not touch. Sorry for my poor wording. My English poor; only been using it for 56 years.
We will forgive you, 56 years is not to long to have studied a language:smiley31:

abcitydiver
06-23-2008, 03:12
I absolutely wont touch the flora and fauna under water, but while traversing some open plains on the way to the reefs at coz...first one hand, and then the next day..the other hand were grazed by some "stingies". These little stings though hardly dangerous were quite annoying for the remainer of my trip. My hands and of course my face were the only parts of me not covered by lycra or neoprene. I'm seriously thinking of gloves for the next trip. Anywhere.

Martin2
06-23-2008, 09:13

You should see some old pictures. My parents used to dive Coz all the time when I was a kid. They'd come back with these fabulous underwater slide shows. I haven't been yet myself, but the photos I see others bring back these days don't even compare. So sad.