PDA

View Full Version : Physical Requirements

Blaze
06-21-2008, 20:16
I signed up for the OW cert, but being a perfectionist I have an issue with the fear of failing or screwing up. Think of it as test anxiety. Has anyone actually ever failed and why? Anything I can do about it?

thesmoothdome
06-21-2008, 21:32
People don't really fail OW...they quit. Don't sweat it. If you don't quit, you'll get through it PADI OW has a 200 yard untimed swim and a 10 minute float to determine water readiness. As long as you can do that, you'll be fine :). Have fun...that's the main thing.

obrules15
06-21-2008, 21:35
I signed up for the OW cert, but being a perfectionist I have an issue with the fear of failing or screwing up. Think of it as test anxiety. Has anyone actually ever failed and why? Anything I can do about it?

You will have a blast, you won't fail. But my question to anyone with that fear is "so the f*** what if you do". The world will not end, your parents/spouse/children will not withdraw their love and gas prices will not return to normal anyway.:smiley20:

SkuaSeptember
06-21-2008, 22:05
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!

I've had students need further study and have to retake the written exam. I've had students need multiple pool sessions. I've sent students back for more pool time rather than continue with the open water dives and I've had more than a few that needed more than the minimum number of dives before I was confident in their skills. I've had some decide that diving was not for them, but I've never had a student fail. It's all about effort and attitude.

Blaze
06-21-2008, 23:48
In conversations with others, I found out after signing up for the class (NAUI cert), that I will have to swim 50 feet underwater w/ no equip. My biggest fear is failing this portion. I do not have a swimming pool, I do not have friends or family that have one, and I do not belong to a gym that has one either. Therefore I do not go swimming frequently. I have no idea what my endurance underwater is and therefore wonder if I fail this portion, will I not be allowed to continue the course? This might be trivial to some, but it is important to me.
I greatly appreciate your responses and Obrules15, you had me ROTFLMAO w/ the gas price comment!

Charles R
06-21-2008, 23:58
In conversations with others, I found out after signing up for the class (NAUI cert), that I will have to swim 50 feet underwater w/ no equip. My biggest fear is failing this portion. I do not have a swimming pool, I do not have friends or family that have one, and I do not belong to a gym that has one either. Therefore I do not go swimming frequently. I have no idea what my endurance underwater is and therefore wonder if I fail this portion, will I not be allowed to continue the course? This might be trivial to some, but it is important to me.
I greatly appreciate your responses and Obrules15, you had me ROTFLMAO w/ the gas price comment!

The 50' underwater swim in nothing its more about holding your breath than swiming remember under water conserve energy stroke glide stroke glide. You will do fine they will get you thru it if you can swim you will be fine.

plot
06-22-2008, 00:02

SSI and PADI don't have this requirement.

Besides, a good instructor will give you pointers and teach you how to do it. It's not a test that if you fail the first time you're done... he/she will get you passed this.

I've seen people fail, and it wasn't becuase the instructor didn't take the time to go over stuff with them over and over again... they were just freaking out underwater and simply wouldn't or couldn't do it. As long as you stay relaxed, you'll make it through just fine.

longtailbda
06-22-2008, 06:43
I've only seen one person fail and even then the shop told him if he came back they'd try to retrain him with no additional charge. They were asked to leave after the third time we had to rescue them from the pool. The poor guy kept panicing when he reach the bottom of the pool and would not stop until we had him out of the pool.

cmburch
06-22-2008, 07:11
I would not worry about it for you seem determined to excel. I have seen some weak swimmers that needed some pool work to get their swimming skills/endurance in line, but just about anyone can learn to improve their swimming skills and endurance with a little effort. A couple of weaker swimmers had plenty of time and instruction to complete the swimming portion in my class. So no problem if not passing on the first try.

mitsuguy
06-22-2008, 08:35

my wife was a horrible swimmer, I've given her some pointers and she's turned into a pretty good swimmer recently, but, prior to that, we were doing some practice in the pool, and she swam 25 yds easily on one breath... that's 75 feet... it's actually quite easy, in fact, I bet if you try without a set distance to swim, and just went "as far as you can," you would overshoot 50 feet...

As others have said in this thread - who cares if you fail... I'm similar to you, I suppose, failure is not an option, I get all the training and practice I can in things that I am passionate about, and diving is one of them... I was over prepared for my Open Water stuff - it's almost too easy... Just get the cert first, then practice... the two things that people struggle with on their open water and even refreshers are knowing how to use the tables and clearing their masks - once you get those two down, everything else really just comes with time...

Vercingetorix
06-22-2008, 09:44
Just, please don't drown. It's bad for this sport's image, and may reflect poorly on your instructor, which may adversely effect his/her employment and livelihood.

It's just bad business:smiley36:

Other than, HAVE FUN!!! Good instructors and DMs have nearly infinite patience. If you WANT to learn, they will TEACH you. You, and you ALONE, will determine your limits. As mitsuguy mentioned, the only tough part for new divers are tables and mask-clearing. If you can get in a pool and practice that, then do so. I practice several dozen times prior to class. Yes, I realize that in the OP, you mention no access to a pool. I'm just saying, if you can, then do so.

Concerning tables, I really didn't "get them" until my Nitrox class. That is, I understood HOW to do them, I did not understand the WHY of the method. My advice: understand WHY. Then, use a computer.

Just out of curiosity: where in the US are you located? If you give better info in your profile, you may be able to hook-up with one of the experienced divers here after OW to put your new skills to work.

dive10killer
06-22-2008, 10:16
I have never heard of anyone failing until I read this thread.

scubasamurai
06-22-2008, 10:41
don't sweat the water portion that is the fun part. practice the mask claering as much as possible. and go over the tables with your instructor. if you get stuck on somthing than speak up and make sure you understand it. the tables get easier , i found, after practice. i also practice using them even though i let the computer do most of the work

Blaze
06-22-2008, 19:51
Vercingetorix - I too am in Dallas.
In my husbands previous job he meet an individual who works as an instructor at a LDS who offered him to have me complete a discovery dive to see how I would react. The instructor was polite and honest w/ me, a little ruff around the edges, but was at least able to put my fears at ease. He showed me how to clear my mask and I was able to handle being under the water perfectly fine. I loved it! Needless to say, shortly afterwards I signed up for the class. Therefore I am not afraid of panicking underwater anymore and thanks to your feedback I believe I am little more at ease with passing the 50 ft test.

Martin2
06-23-2008, 16:24
Depending on where you are in Dallas, you should be fairly close to a pool (try the Y or a Bally's--they both generall have some sort of pool). It might make you more comfortable if you at least spend a little time in the water. I'm sure you'll be fine either way, but it might make you feel a bit better. When we did our OW, my husband hadn't been in the water for several years. He did fail the pool portion at first, but the instructors spent some time working with him and he did fine after we all worked with him. He spent as much time in the pool at the LDS as he could and worked really hard. Our first dives after OW, he did much better than I did without supervision (despite the fact that I grew up in the water). All it takes is practice and determination. Anything else can be overcome.

awb
06-23-2008, 18:58
Here's a trick if indeed you are having problems holding you breath. When you fell the urge to breath exhale just a little bit, co2 is what triggers you to breath this will offset that and you can stay under longer. The under water swim in the ST pool is quite easy. I've only had 2 people that couldn't do it, but with a little work they did it with no problem.

digitalman
07-04-2008, 00:22

I've got the lung capacity of a mouse and was able to hold my breath for the 50' UW NAUI swim after my instructor gave me a few pointers. I actually went farther than necessary on purpose just to see how far I could go once I passed the 50' mark. I was concerned about it at first too, but you'll find that it really isn't as hard as it sounds.

SlvrDragon50
07-04-2008, 16:45
Id have to say doing the swimming runs and treading water is harder than the scuba stuff..

dsteinberg
07-09-2008, 17:51
Id have to say doing the swimming runs and treading water is harder than the scuba stuff..

I also found that they were more difficult than the actual scuba skills... quite possibly because I had never done them before. (Never done an underwater swim, nor a 10 minute water tread.)

MSilvia
07-09-2008, 17:55
It's not UWD/SEAL training, and they won't throw you out if you have difficulty. If you have trouble with a skill, the instructor will help you get to the point where you can do it. No sweat. It's really nothing to stress out about.

diver 85
07-10-2008, 01:08

People fail all the time, it's only a couple lives you're talking about......Just relax and 'soak' it all in...Remember, there are 12 YOs and younger now that grasp and understand what you'll be doing---- and pass, too.......:smiley20:

nvr2l8
07-24-2008, 01:51
I haven't heard of the 50 ft underwater w/o gear, unless it is the CESA? Is that what you are talking about or is this some advanced class?

Dive Dummy

plot
07-24-2008, 22:56
I haven't heard of the 50 ft underwater w/o gear, unless it is the CESA? Is that what you are talking about or is this some advanced class?

Dive Dummy

50 feet in distance, not down.

digitalman
07-25-2008, 00:07

Dive Dummy

NAUI requirement for OW. Not part of the PADI skills test.