PDA

View Full Version : Rip Cord System...

percussionist1
06-21-2008, 19:26
I have read a couple of posts about small weights falling out of the "rip cord" BC pocket on the Zeagle products. Is this true? Has anyone experierenced this personally? What solutions exist?

Note: My wife and I are about to get new BCs. She is getting a Zena and I am getting the Brigade.

Thanks!

obrules15
06-21-2008, 19:31
I have been diving Zeagles (Concept II Pro, Brigade, Ranger, Lazer) for 9 years and many dives and have never had that happen.

Splitlip
06-21-2008, 19:32
No worries. Get the yellow thingies or DIY something.

I think 1 # slip through.

SkuaSeptember
06-21-2008, 21:14
I had a 1lb. weight work its way out in the pool, but in OW I always use the yellow Zeagle weight pouches and never remove the weights from them. Problem solved.

dive10killer
06-21-2008, 21:37
Use the yellow Zeagle weight pouches. You will never lose a weight.

DevilDiver
06-21-2008, 22:19
I have never had or seen a weight fall out (maybe a 1lb but why would you need a 1lb weight) of the rip cord system.

I have found weight pouches from other intergrated BC's numerous times over the years.

I believe the Zeagle system is one if not the best systems for a recreational BC.

Diver Kat
06-21-2008, 23:06
I've had a Zena for 5+ years. Originally just put the weights in the pockets, then eventually got the yellow weight pouches, but have never lost a weight either way.

dive10killer
06-21-2008, 23:33
I could see where Maybe a 1lb. could wiggle it's way out.
I never lost a weight either, course I have 10lb soft bags in each front pocket. If those wiggle out....something is very wrong!

Zenagirl
06-22-2008, 07:30
We've had the smaller "bullet weights" fall out of both the Ranger and Zena in a swimming pool, so it's definitely possible.

However, my husband has the yellow pouches for his Ranger and I have some black mesh drop in pouches someone gave me for my Zena. To date, neither of us have used the pouches since even something as small as 2# soft weights haven't fallen through my Zena. I have 1# soft weights that I'll use the pouches for in Bonaire next week though.

The pouches also make handing weights up on a boat easier, or if you own weights and always use the same amount, it's easier to store and use the same weights by keeping them in the pouches.

Miked
06-22-2008, 10:58
Just agreeing with the earlier posters regarding: no problems with weights falling out of the ripcord pockets; and: get(make?) the yellow weight pouches.
(Concept II pro model)

Mtrewyn
06-22-2008, 11:16
I have a Ranger, I only use a #4 and a #1 in each pocket, and they don't comw out they are the coated lead weights, and than I bought th yellow things and they are even more secure now.

Check e-bay you can find some used some times or just buy them from Scuba Toys! :smiley20:

diver-wife
06-22-2008, 12:59
this is usually the arguement the competitors use as a reason not to use a zeagle, I like it, and in an emergency, it is very easy for a rescue divers to pull the rip cord to dump the weights

Splitlip
06-22-2008, 15:28
Usually, the comment that the ripcord needs to be deployed and rethreaded every time the weights are unloaded or loaded.

Can't tell you how many people told me they would not buy a Zeagle because they like to hand up thir weights. Well Duh! Unzip and do it.

diver-wife
06-22-2008, 19:34
Usually, the comment that the ripcord needs to be deployed and rethreaded every time the weights are unloaded or loaded.

Can't tell you how many people told me they would not buy a Zeagle because they like to hand up thir weights. Well Duh! Unzip and do it.
whoever said that is a moron, it is just as easy to unzip it as it is to remove other integrated weights

ScubaToys Larry
06-22-2008, 19:45

whoever said that is a moron, it is just as easy to unzip it as it is to remove other integrated weights

NO IT"S NOT!!!! (It's easier! :smiley20:)

Divingguy
06-22-2008, 20:20
I did have large (5 lb) hard weights go through the rigging of my Brigade when doing a giant stride off a dive boat in Florida a couple of years ago. However, upon my return I then promptly got the yellow thingies and have NEVER had another problem in like 200 dives. Re-rigging the Zeagle ripcord system is NO trouble. As a DM I have to help people do theirs from time to time. Takes like 2 minutes per side. I like the system, and LOVE the BC's.

Mtrewyn
06-22-2008, 20:52
I did have large (5 lb) hard weights go through the rigging of my Brigade when doing a giant stride off a dive boat in Florida a couple of years ago. However, upon my return I then promptly got the yellow thingies and have NEVER had another problem in like 200 dives. Re-rigging the Zeagle ripcord system is NO trouble. As a DM I have to help people do theirs from time to time. Takes like 2 minutes per side. I like the system, and LOVE the BC's.

Did you look into how this happened, I have REALLY been rough with mine and the 1# never went through.

Did you miss a "loop" in the threading or something like that? If you lost a 5# I would look into that, I would have to figure that one out!!

LRDWILDER
06-22-2008, 21:25
I've been diving my ranger for about 2 years and never had a problem...I've been using the yellow thingamabobbies (technical term). I did see a friend lose a 2# soft weight out of it once....we picked it up and put it back in...no problem.

diver-wife
06-25-2008, 13:42

NO IT"S NOT!!!! (It's easier! :smiley20:)
agreed, sorry, it is even easier than MOST:smiley20:

ScottZeagle
06-25-2008, 13:56
If a 5lb weight fell out, there is definitely something odd...that should NEVER happen - giant stride or not.

And yes, "bullet" style weights can fall through. The "yellow thingies", as Larry calls them, will absolutely help with that.

That being said, I know a lot of people who don't use them and have no issues with weights 2lbs and up.

Thanks,

Scott