PDA

View Full Version : Finger Lake

snagel
06-22-2008, 10:10
Trying to find out more information on Finger Lakes north of Colubmia, MO. I know Cummings has dove this several times, so hopefully, he will comment.

What I think I know....This is a State Park pretty much dedicated to ATV & Motorcyle trail riding. But, there is an area that leads itself to diving. Nothing fancy, but a place to get the gills wet. It is fairly small and max depth is in the 30ish foot range. It is not really set up for diving so you have to wade through a lot of muck to get out into the water.

I've never been there, just going off what I believe I've been told. If you know anything about this lake, can you help with a couple questions.

1. I've heard that the park is working in this area so it is pretty torn up - are they trying to improve the lake for divers?

2. Is there a cost to getting into the park and dive?

3. I don't think that the "diving area" is in the area with all the ATV and such, where exactly is the diving area?

As I've said I haven't ever dove this area, but it is kinda a central point for me and my dive buddies (out of St. Louis) so it would be great if we could "meet in the middle" if this was worth a drive to dive. Any information would be great.

Snagel

mm2002
06-22-2008, 19:57
I'm also curious about this. It's not too far a drive for us either. Matt?

davis73
06-23-2008, 10:33
I dove it a few times before they had torn up the entrance. 4-5 feet vis. It is free to dive there, they like for you to let them know when you dive and when you are done. Will dive it again if I can get there when it's not raining as seems to happen whenever we try to go there. Also pretty nice campground with showers. Electric and non electric sites. It's a good idea to reserve a camping spot as it seems to be packed on the weekends.

cummings66
06-27-2008, 12:51
Missed this thread somehow. I'm diving it Sunday I think, vis varies a bit and in the Winter I know it gets up to at least 15 feet. Last time I was there it was just about 0 due to swimmers and others mucking it up. I am thinking about it now.

There is no fee, just let the park office know you're there.

PepeDiver
06-27-2008, 15:21
Last time I was there it was just about 0 due to swimmers and others mucking it up.

I'm guessing the only place to dive there is at the marked off swimming area?

cummings66
06-27-2008, 17:18
No, we dive at the quarry on the northwest corner up by the campgrounds. It's much better than the rotten stinking swimbeach. A bit deeper too.

mm2002
06-27-2008, 18:10
Shallow, rotten, stinking swim beaches don't seem very appealing to me. Reminds me of Oolagah lake in Oklahoma. Next to the Verdigris river, that's probably one of the nastiest places I've ever went swimming.

cummings66
06-27-2008, 19:33
The swim beach really is not a fun place to dive. I wouldn't do it in a wetsuit, but a drysuit doesn't bother me much.

snagel
06-27-2008, 21:16
It sounds like I definately need to stop by and take a look at this place. I travel to St. Louis frequently for work and go through Columbia, maybe next trip I'll take a few minutes to atleast stop by and take a look.

I believe this is straight up Hwy 63 out of Columbia - correct? About how far north?

Snagel

plot
06-29-2008, 21:42
the park entrance the same one you use to get to the atv park?

cummings66
06-29-2008, 21:46
OK, I dove it today. Vis ranged from 0 to about 5 feet. All in all it was a way to get wet. Yes, the entrance is the one you hang a left on and go up to the ATV park. Keep going until you almost get to the campground and on the left side you will see a quarry. That's the one to dive in. The best vis is on the west side, it's also the deepest.

cummings66
06-29-2008, 21:47
I think it's about 5 miles north of it, I don't measure it so I can't tell you for sure.

snagel
06-30-2008, 05:46
Thanks Matt. I'm going to update our website with your latest information.

Snagel

PepeDiver
06-30-2008, 09:27
what's the depth in the quarry?

cummings66
07-01-2008, 14:40
You can get to around 40 feet if you hit the muck. 35 feet is more realistic in the West end, the east end is around 15 feet deep.

beperkins
10-17-2008, 10:12
Is there anything to see in the quarry? I love combining atv/dive trips. My favorite is to dive 1 day at Bonne Terre, and ride atv 1 day at St. Joe.