PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Oronogo

Disneymom
06-22-2008, 10:28
For us its definitely closer than Beaver, but I don't know much about the lake. Did a little looking around on the Captain John's website. What is the typical vis like? (Not including this year's crappy vis ANYWHERE around NE OK/SW MO/and NE Ark.) Is it novice-friendly? Disney-Dad likes to keep it pretty conservative as far as depths are concerned.

Any info appreciated - thanks!

jaxjags64109
06-22-2008, 11:23
I dove there yesterday (6/21/08) and had about 15 feet of Vis down to about 50 feet. It gets dark quick any deeper. This was my first time there so I am not real familiar with all of the sights but we dove the airplane and had a good time. It is a cold water dive as the temps were in the low to mid 50s below 20 feet. This is definitely a place to have good buoyancy control as there are places where it is much deeper that rec. limits. It is relatively east to get to and affordable at $12 entry & $4 fills. The facilities are not great with very little accomodations for setting up your gear. The diving is nice the facilities are barely adequate.

snagel
06-22-2008, 12:02
Here is there website Oronogo, Missouri - Captain John's Scuba Diving (http://www.oronogo.com)

What about bathroom facilities and changing rooms?

S. Nagel

DivingCRNA
06-22-2008, 12:47

S. Nagel

"yes"

mm2002
06-22-2008, 19:54

S. Nagel

"yes"

Sounds fairly vague. I think I know what you meant though! :smiley36:

KennyD
06-26-2008, 07:03
Here is there website Oronogo, Missouri - Captain John's Scuba Diving (http://www.oronogo.com)

S. Nagel

They are alot like what you would expect from a bathroom by some random lake. Just a few steps above using Mother Nature. The diving makes up for the lack of everything else. I've got around 45 dives there this year already.

snagel
06-26-2008, 17:24
Thanks,

I'd like to make it down there sometime. One of my dive buddies is of the female type and clean bathroom facilities is very important to her. So, just wanted to know what to tell her when she asked.

Snagel

dive10killer
06-26-2008, 17:50
Thanks,

I'd like to make it down there sometime. One of my dive buddies is of the female type and clean bathroom facilities is very important to her. So, just wanted to know what to tell her when she asked.

Snagel
JUst tell her "Watch where you step"!

beperkins
10-17-2008, 10:15
I found Oronogo to be just fine for not too advanced divers, one guy I dove with in August was just OW cert and we just stuck to the road, the plane, etc. Btw Capt John has maps of the quarry for planning your trip. They are not available online but maybe if yu called him he would mail/fax you a copy. The map has depths and other good info on it.

Dark Wolf
10-17-2008, 20:44
I have a copy of the map downloaded on my PC. I can e-mail these to anyone interested.

A few of us dive Oronogo a lot. It has some of the best conditions around here without having to drive for several hours. Plus, you can plan your dives with specific goals in mind.

Btw, the womens restroom is much better than the men's. Or so I hear.................

DW

navyhmc
10-19-2008, 16:50
I have a copy of the map downloaded on my PC. I can e-mail these to anyone interested.

A few of us dive Oronogo a lot. It has some of the best conditions around here without having to drive for several hours. Plus, you can plan your dives with specific goals in mind.

Btw, the womens restroom is much better than the men's. Or so I hear.................

DW

Hey DW, email me the map: my user name @cox.net

Have you been borrowing Barndon's pink light again???? :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

Nemrod
10-19-2008, 19:32
I dove there, it was like diving in a dump. Won't bother again.

N

Brandon Belew
10-19-2008, 23:10
I dove there, it was like diving in a dump. Won't bother again.

N

Dump? No it's called "building from the land". Also known as recycling.

Brandon Belew
10-19-2008, 23:11

DW

Have you been borrowing Barndon's pink light again???? :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

The pink light was only used once, actually threw it away here recently. It was broken.

Diverite 12w HID is what I use now.

navyhmc
10-20-2008, 10:11

DW

The pink light was only used once, actually threw it away here recently. It was broken.

Diverite 12w HID is what I use now.

Very good choice Brandon, but still...the pink light lives on in legend! :smiley20:

Brandon Belew
10-24-2008, 20:44
Looking forward to doing some diving tomorrow! Will be there bright and early, driving a tan monte carlo.

Dark Wolf
10-24-2008, 21:36
Dump? I have seen local lakes with worse vis and a bunch of crap on the bottom. I like diving Oronogo, it is close to home. And this year especially has better vis than most of the lakes. Plus I don't have to drive for 30 minutes to get air fills. Maybe I am easy to please, but it is much better than many places around here.

DW