PDA

View Full Version : Post Hip replacement

BuzzF117
06-22-2008, 15:50
Well I was hoping to put it off a couple of yrs but my hips just couldn't take it anymore so I decided to have hip replacement surgery. Rehab is going to be interesting because there isn't "actual" rehab the key is you have to get up and get moving. I had surgery done on the morning of June 19 and I was putting full weight on leg by that afternoon and they sent me home on the 20th at around 5pm. Now yesterday was pretty ruff but man today I feel great my problem is the pain med for my hip causes me to have a nasty headache so I have to find the happy medium between a little hip pain and a little head ache. I can shower tomorrow morning which means no more kitchen sink baths. I can't get back into the water at least until a few days after the 31 staples are removed on July 2nd. I haven't figured out if it's the blood thinners or the pain meds that make me feel so blah but I am sure the more it heals the better I will feel. I was going to do a couple of dives the night before surgery but I was conscerned it would mess up my blood gasses and might throw off the anishesiologist. So for it being day 3 post op im feeling pretty good.

Splitlip
06-22-2008, 16:00
Well, Bro, hang in there.
This is the 21st century and the procedure ain't what it used to be. Know a few people who had the double hip and they were back to business as usual in a matter of weeks.

scubasamurai
06-22-2008, 16:01
well good luck with it and remember to keep moving. have an old timer (88) yrs just had his hip done and the guy is moving around like a little toddler. no pain nothing.
just ask you doctor about going up the ladder with all you scuba gear. see if there will be any "problems" the first couple of months after the staples come out. i know about the 90 degrees or less you can' t bend for the first three weeks i think.

maverick
06-22-2008, 16:01
Yeah I had a hip replaced. No fun. Hang in there.

BuzzF117
06-22-2008, 17:35
Cool thing is the folks I dive with are very supportive about helping with my gear so i don't over do it.

Monkeylemon
06-23-2008, 09:30
Good luck with your recovery--my father-in-law had a couple of hip replacements, and I know it's great to take it as easy as you can stand to!

BuzzF117
06-23-2008, 09:45
Day 4 after surgery. AHHh my first shower since the surgery, even though I was washing in the sink there is no substitute for taking a shower. This was also the first time I had to go to the lab to have blood drawn so they can check my cumidin levels I have to get it checked every Monday and Thursday for at least a month. Leg is still pretty swelled I couldn't even get it into a wetsuit even if I could dive. I did alot of waking this morning and it felt pretty good the pain meds make me really tired I hope I can start taking myself off of them as the week progressses.

character157
06-25-2008, 10:31
Good to hear recovery is progressing...Hang in there and you will be back in the water before you know it.

BuzzF117
06-25-2008, 20:04
Day 6

I am dealing with more pain because I feel so sick from the percocet I tried taking half the dose but still fell really bad so im going to try and only take it at night otherwise its back to clinic for another blood test in the morning.

bubbletrubble
06-25-2008, 20:39
Hang in there. Get well soon!

navyhmc
06-25-2008, 21:51
Speaking as one who helped a friend get through a double hip replacement, the first two weeks are the worst and then it goes uphill from there. If your PT/OT is worth their pay, they will keep you on the uphill climb. BTW, a good PT/OT is one who is 49% caring nurturer and 51% sadist!

Don't forget to ask the following question repeatedly: "When can I go diving again?"