PDA

View Full Version : Carrying tanks on the plane

Sasha_K
06-22-2008, 21:16
Hey guys,

Quick question - are there any specific rules for bringing a scuba tank on the plane? I.e. empty vs. full, do you have to tell them you are bringing it with you, can it go with the checked baggage (from what I know only the passenger area is pressurized, but I could be wrong).

Anything else I need to be aware of? Yes, I'm aware of all the extra charges nowdays with bringing more than one bag :-)

thanks in advance,

sasha

Damselfish
06-22-2008, 21:26
on any commercial jet, the whole plane including the cargo hold is pressurized.

tanks need to be empty, with the valve off so they can look inside easily.

some people take ponies, but taking full size tanks rarely makes sense.

Vercingetorix
06-22-2008, 22:13
The tanks are charges as additional check-ons; these fees are quite hefty, especially given the weight. Rent the tanks at your destination. It's cheaper.

Sasha_K
06-22-2008, 23:22
I wouldn't take them with me on a dive trip. I travel frequently for work and at some places in the US tanks are MUCH cheaper than in Toronto. So, I was thinking of getting them, one at a time, and bringing back with me.

Provided I take the valve off, are you saying that I can't just put them in a bag, with a few other things so it doesnt move around, and just check in with my other bags?

Thanks for the answers guys.

Jay_SMART_Diver
06-22-2008, 23:53
From the TSA website: (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/compressed_gas.shtm)

Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carry-on ONLY if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside.
Our Security Officers will NOT remove the seal or regulator valve from the cylinder at the checkpoint. If the cylinder is sealed (i.e. the regulator valve is still attached), the cylinder is prohibited and not permitted through the security checkpoint, regardless of the reading on the pressure gauge indicator. Our Security Officers must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside.
Please note: Many of the seals/regulators used in paintball are not designed to be removed from their cylinder by the end user. The seal/regulator should only be removed and reinstalled by a factory trained technician.
Passengers considering air travel with a compressed air or CO2 system would be advised to contact its manufacturer for guidance in locating a qualified technician, or to consider shipping the system to their destination via a parcel service.

character157
06-23-2008, 07:12
If you can get a tank cheaper maybe try shipping it home ups-might be less hassle and close to the same cost.

Sasha_K
06-23-2008, 09:00
This is very good advice guys, thanks so much.

in_cavediver
06-23-2008, 11:24
I wouldn't take them with me on a dive trip. I travel frequently for work and at some places in the US tanks are MUCH cheaper than in Toronto. So, I was thinking of getting them, one at a time, and bringing back with me.

Provided I take the valve off, are you saying that I can't just put them in a bag, with a few other things so it doesnt move around, and just check in with my other bags?

Thanks for the answers guys.

The only warning to give is to ensure the tanks you buy have the proper certs for Canada. I am not up on what Canada requires but I can tell you if a tank doesn't have a DOT number in the US, it can't get hydro'd and filled. (not saying it doesn't happen at times but its not supposed to).

I have heard of these issues mostly from European tanks.

Don't take my word - do the research to ensure you know what is required.

CompuDude
06-23-2008, 19:21
The only warning to give is to ensure the tanks you buy have the proper certs for Canada. I am not up on what Canada requires but I can tell you if a tank doesn't have a DOT number in the US, it can't get hydro'd and filled. (not saying it doesn't happen at times but its not supposed to).

Agreed. That said, most tanks sold in the US carry both DOT and TC stamps, and can be used in either country no problem.

aiseson
06-25-2008, 14:45
I've bought tanks in FLA brought them back to NYC as checked baggage valves off and it was fine.

Charles R
06-25-2008, 14:49
No issue just as said valve off and expect when you get to your destination you will have to have another Visual inspection before getting a fill.

Sasha_K
06-25-2008, 15:23

Agreed. That said, most tanks sold in the US carry both DOT and TC stamps, and can be used in either country no problem.

That's what the Master Diver manual says too, and I will do that!

As for taking the valve off - does it have to be a shop which does it or can I do it myself.
I'd rather do it myself and then get the LDS here to test it and screw back on?

Charles R
06-25-2008, 15:27

As for taking the valve off - does it have to be a shop which does it or can I do it myself.
you can remove them just be careful not to damage them.

diversteve
06-25-2008, 15:31
If you're buying new tanks, they often come with a little plastic plug that seals the tank opening. If the store removed it when they installed the valve, ask them, they may have some lying around.

One of our local stores that sells more tech gear sells tanks and valves separately since they don't know what valves/manifolds you're going to want.

TRACI
06-25-2008, 16:32
I had no trouble taking a pony tank to Cozumel with the valve off. A friend on the same flight did not take the valve off his spare air and the TSA confiscated it before the flight and would not return it. ...........Lesson learned.

CompuDude
06-26-2008, 12:50

You should be able to take it off yourself no problem. You'll need a vis inspection at the other end anyway, since most shops won't fill a completely empty tank and you should really check the interior every time the valve comes off. They'll also have the proper lube for the valve threads, o-rings, and know how much torque to use when reinstalling.

Less of an issue if you're transporting new, unused tanks, of course, since they need all that anyway.

mike_s
06-26-2008, 13:27
with the excess baggage fee's, why would you want to bother carrying a tank on a plane?

digitalman
06-30-2008, 16:19
I'd rent when I got to my destination rather than travling with tanks. For the cost of the extra baggage requirements nowadays plus the visual inspection requirements, you can almost buy a new tank and leave it when your trip is over or ship back home at the end of the trip ($20-30 UPS each).