PDA

View Full Version : Underwater setup?

nferra2
08-08-2007, 00:59
I have a Canon powershot S60 and an Olympus Evolt E-330 DSLR. I am debating which one I want to set up for underwater photography. It would be cheaper, and a less bulky package to setup the canon, and it takes some good pictures, however, my Oly takes amazing pictures and has the best color of any camera I have ever seen (better color than some much more expensive Canons and Nikons) I guess I would like to know, which would be more feasible as a dive setup.

Dive-aholic
08-08-2007, 03:00
The Canon cameras I have have an underwater setting. If you're just getting into UW photography, go with the less expensive option for now. I've said this a few times before - There are 2 types of UW photographers: those that have flooded a camera and those that will. I've already flooded a camera.

nferra2
08-08-2007, 08:50
Yeah, I am worried about flooding my Oly DSLR, its not a cheap camera, and I don't know what I would do without it. My canon on the other hand is a few years old, is just a point and shoot, and still takes nice pictures.

nferra2
08-08-2007, 08:54
Forgot to mention that a Canon s60 housing is 1/5th the cost of the Olympus housing...

Dive-aholic
08-08-2007, 11:38
Just make sure you can replace your Canon. Otherwise it's not worth spending the couple hundred on the housing and having a worthless housing should you flood the camera.

nferra2
08-08-2007, 21:31
I always see the canon s60's on the bay. If not anything from the s30-s70 should fit in the housing. I found a new housing for $150, which doesn't seem like alot considering the cheapest Oly housing I could find was $900.

3rdEye
08-10-2007, 11:25
housing for those Olympus DSLRs are uber expensive.....I have the Evolt 500, and I think an Ikelite housing is over 1000....more expensive than the camera. I think when I start getting into underwater photography I'm going to either get a cam made for UW, or some kind of small point and shoot that I can hook up to a strobe....I also wonder how hard it is to take photos uw through a DSLR viewfinder as compared to an lcd screen, though I guess that's how it's done with film.

Aussie
09-05-2007, 18:31
If you have the money I would house the E-330. I used my friends Olympus e-330 in a Olympus housing. Never get an Olympus hosing as they are crap. Olympus 50mm Macro is a great lens too.

Going from a compact to DSLR is a big step and it comes with outlaying big $$$$. But you will be pleased with pics you get.

Once you get the housing, then comes the strobe/s more $$$ but you will love the pics you get.

It comes down to how much money you want to throw at it to get pics you like.

Aussie

RonFrank
09-06-2007, 11:17
better color than some much more expensive Canons and Nikons

This statement aside (ohhh don't even go there) I'd say outfit the Oly.