PDA

View Full Version : Completed our AOW!

FailedExistence
06-23-2008, 13:10
My wife and I completed our AOW this weekend ... neither one of us were very good with navigation during our open water class. We got through it but were far from functional with the compass, so the navigation skills that were taught during the underwater navigation class helped immensely. We also learned a lot during the buoyancy dive and really got some helpful tips during our skill dives there. All in all it was well worth it as we both learned a good amount and got to further develop our skills that we already had.

I can't wait for the rescue class.

mwhities
06-23-2008, 13:15
Congrats to both of you. The nav part of AOW really helped me out too. I never really used it or saw a use for it until class. :)

Sansho
06-23-2008, 13:40
Congratulations to both of you! AOW is a good extension to OW to gain some more instructed experience. Rescue is an excellent course, every diver should take it.

TRACI
06-23-2008, 14:09
Congrats! I will finish my AOW this weekend. The navigation in AOW made alot more sense, then the crash course that my LDS covered during openwater.

chinacat46
06-23-2008, 14:41
Good on ya!

severian
06-23-2008, 14:45
way to go! I am looking foward to rescue as well!

cheers

p.s. I am also looking foward to my 10% discount from ST on my upcoming order! just need a couple of more posts!

crgjpg
06-23-2008, 14:50
Congrats, I completed the AOW last February. I am doing Rescue Diver the weekend of July 11 through 13.

Martin2
06-23-2008, 15:15
Congratulations! Nav was a great help to us as well. Making it a habit has made our dives so much better.

fisheater
06-23-2008, 21:48
Excellent.

I suggest that you take the UW Nav specialty class. Nav skills are KEY to being an independent diver, someone who doesn't rely upon "trust me" dives.

Last week, I put my newly-learned nav skills to the test with various dive buddies on Catalina, none of whom I'd even met before. I managed to always get us back to the starting point and even got a bit of reputation for that on the "other board."

snoballz
06-23-2008, 22:09
First, congrats to the OP and his wife! I plan on my AOW in August.

p.s. I am also looking foward to my 10% discount from ST on my upcoming order! just need a couple of more posts!

As a member of the ST Forum, you get a 10% discount. Just let them know when you place your order the first time and they will keep it logged for future purchases as well.

You get a $10 GC for your tenth post. Once hitting that milestone, PM Joe and he'll reply with a GC #.

:smiley16:

Vercingetorix
06-23-2008, 22:30
Congrats. You'll enjoy Rescue. I had far more fun doing Rescue than AOW. Rescue is a real challenge.

dive10killer
06-23-2008, 22:31
Congrats!

pyre24
06-23-2008, 22:39
i just finished my aow and have the rescue diver coming this weekend. cant wait.

mitsuguy
06-24-2008, 02:55
My wife and I completed our AOW this weekend ... neither one of us were very good with navigation during our open water class. We got through it but were far from functional with the compass, so the navigation skills that were taught during the underwater navigation class helped immensely. We also learned a lot during the buoyancy dive and really got some helpful tips during our skill dives there. All in all it was well worth it as we both learned a good amount and got to further develop our skills that we already had.

I can't wait for the rescue class.

how big is your wife?

my wife had some issues getting my 200 lb ass out of the water last night during pool work :)

that will be the hardest part of the whole thing...

thesmoothdome
06-24-2008, 10:13
how big is your wife?

my wife had some issues getting my 200 lb ass out of the water last night during pool work :)

LOL...Don't think I would have posed that question in such a way, but the point is valid. One of the things you learn during rescue is your limitations as a rescuer and how best to work around them.

FailedExistence
06-24-2008, 10:26
how big is your wife?

She is quite wee .... I don't think she is all that interested in doing Rescue ... I think some of the other specialties interest her more, so I am guessing this is where our training will part ways to a certain extent. Either way, it's great having her as a dive buddy!

Clanggedin
06-24-2008, 11:28
Congrats. I just finished AOW last Saturday and begin Rescue in September with Divemaster in January. I can't wait!

severian
06-24-2008, 16:17
failed existence...where in Az do u live? i'm near Tucson, always looking for new people to dive with....

Splitlip
06-24-2008, 16:45
way to go! I am looking foward to rescue as well!

cheers

Dude, you get 10% just for being a member. 10 bucks for 10 posts.

FailedExistence
06-24-2008, 19:02
failed existence...where in Az do u live? i'm near Tucson, always looking for new people to dive with....

I'm in Maricopa, Arizona ... just north of Casa Grande, between Phoenix and Casa Grande. I grew up in Tucson though and have a lot of friends down there so I am in that area a lot ... we're always up for heading out to dive so let us know if you want to get together.

DiveSooner
06-24-2008, 19:06
You'll learn alot in Rescue...

Splitlip
06-24-2008, 19:14
how big is your wife?

Hey! Gettin a little personal there fella! Don't you think?