PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning gear after a dive

creggur
08-08-2007, 09:21
So what is your cleaning routine for BC & Regs when you dive? Is it different for Salt/Fresh water? Do you do anything special before storing equipment for longer periods of time??

Reason I ask is I'm kind of particular about maintaining stuff, I know about the service intervals, I'm talking about general cleaning, and maint. after a dive..

MEL-DC Diver
08-08-2007, 09:29
After each day of diving, I do a quick rinse of everything with fresh water. I'll also put some water in the bladder of my BC and give it a little swish and dump it.

If my gear is not going to stay wet i.e. go for another dive the next day and I am going to put it away for a little or a long while, I fill up my special trashcan (special b/c nothing but scuba gear goes in it), add a bit of the Johnson's Baby shampoo, and dump everything in there and then rinse it off. Also, I have been know to unscrew at least one dump valve on the BC and put a hose in there and shake. Then I hang it all up to dry in the garage, out of the sun.

94GTStang
08-08-2007, 12:34
Pretty much what was said above. Everything needs to be rinsed out well and allowed to dry before storage. Don't want to hang up everything in the direct sunlight of course.
I don't know if I should, but I put my regs in the reg bag and leave it unzipped a little for circulation. My closet space is a little limited so I can't have all my hoses hanging...

georoc01
08-08-2007, 13:43
I used to use my jacuzzi tub, with the water and the baby shampoo. throw in all the gear and let it run for a little bit.

Now I have installed a stationary tub in my basement with a hose. I will soak and rinse the gear before hanging it in my basement to dry.

Living in a high desert climate, drying in my basement is not a problem. I wouldnt' recommend it in more humid locations due to the potential of mold.

TxHockeyGuy
08-08-2007, 14:15
In freshwater I just hang it up after I get home. If it begins to smell then I'll start using shampoo and what not. If in saltwater I try to rinse/soak it as well as I can after each dive day. I'm pretty basic with my dive gear care but it's worked well for me so far.

tywenglar
08-08-2007, 14:25
I dive mostly salt water. Rinse well is the main thing. If your gear had time to dry make sure you let it soak long enough to disolve the salt crystals that will form as it dries. They turn into sandpaper if your do do get them out. I often inflate my BC so it will stand up then set it in the shower and let the cold water run for 30 minutes or so spraying on my BC. Wetsuits I scrub with a bit of shampoo if they are getting put away for a while. Regs I submerge in fresh water then change the water after 10 minutes or so and repeat. Some of this may be overkill but it works for me....better safe than sorry.

WV Diver
08-08-2007, 14:36
All good comments, I would add that it is a good idea to blow out your reg, especially your octo before leaving the water. I just hit the pugre and swish it around really good while it is till under pressure. It couldn't hurt and it helps to get out all the sediment before rinsing. More important when diving murky, turbid waters.

Doghouse
08-08-2007, 14:56
I have been rinsing out my gear in the tub, then hanging it on a wooden rack to dry. This has been OK, except that the fresh water diving I have been doing is starting to make my gear stink.

I picked up the extra wash stuff for the next dip. Have to make a SW dive soon!

creggur
08-08-2007, 15:14
So it's ok to soak your 2nd stages without pressure as long as you don't hit the purge right? - and obviously have the dust cap on...

ertechsg
08-08-2007, 15:29
So it's ok to soak your 2nd stages without pressure as long as you don't hit the purge right? - and obviously have the dust cap on... I do just put it in water and let soak

WV Diver
08-08-2007, 15:42
So it's ok to soak your 2nd stages without pressure as long as you don't hit the purge right? - and obviously have the dust cap on...
Yes. The point is not to allow water and other foreign matter into your first stage thus causing corrosion and other problems that can be difficult and expensive to deal with.

MEL-DC Diver
08-08-2007, 16:07
Only one thing bothering me - no one needs to "soak" their regs i.e. leaving them in the rinse water for more than a few seconds. The longer you leave them unpressurized in water increases the likelihood of introducing the water into the stages/hoses. A quick dunk and swish around for a few secs is all you need.

wxboy911
08-08-2007, 17:12
I rinse everything with the hose( I don't have a reg yet) and let it hang in my garage. So far everything is still looking and smelling good.

cummings66
08-08-2007, 18:02
All good comments, I would add that it is a good idea to blow out your reg, especially your octo before leaving the water. I just hit the pugre and swish it around really good while it is till under pressure..

I would add to that, use fresh water to do it. I used to do what you suggested and within a year my regulator had a free flow because of the silt that built up in it. Consider that near shore the silt concentration is higher and you're not really cleaning it by leaving it in the much, you've got to get it in clean water.

For me, fresh water only. I clean the regulators immediately after the dive. I'll carry water with me if there is none available. Otherwise I'll find a bathroom and walk in with my regulator in hand and clean them. They never dry out without being cleaned in fresh water.

My drysuit is normally pretty much dry by the time my other gear is packed away, it's a membrane drysuit. My wetsuit gets rinsed out as soon as I get home from a dive, over time they will get dirty and it's easier to just keep it clean. The BP, well it's steel, nothing much needed. The wing gets a rinse.

texdiveguy
08-08-2007, 18:17
Very simple....rinse all the gear with a garden hose and hang to dry before packing away.

Zenagirl
08-09-2007, 08:23
We use Simple Green to wash gear. Once the BC bladders are rinsed and swished (3x usually), we always add a cap full of mouthwash and move the bladder around to distribute it. A few days after the BC has hung to dry, I always empty the last bit of water that has pooled at the bottom of the bladder, add a little more air, and hang until the next dive trip.

We store our regs uncoiled in a Rubbermade tub in the bottom of a closet.

creggur
08-09-2007, 08:41
Only one thing bothering me - no one needs to "soak" their regs i.e. leaving them in the rinse water for more than a few seconds. The longer you leave them unpressurized in water increases the likelihood of introducing the water into the stages/hoses. A quick dunk and swish around for a few secs is all you need.

This was my main concern as well... It seems though that if diving SW it would need to soak to make sure any dried salt is desolved...if you do a quick dunk and swish in a communal tub, isn't the water in their going to get salty from all the regs being dunked...Kind of negating the whole point of cleaning the salt off???

MEL-DC Diver
08-09-2007, 09:10

This was my main concern as well... It seems though that if diving SW it would need to soak to make sure any dried salt is desolved...if you do a quick dunk and swish in a communal tub, isn't the water in their going to get salty from all the regs being dunked...Kind of negating the whole point of cleaning the salt off???

Ok, turns out you think like I do. In this situation I always use the communal tub, but gauge the water first. If it is complete gunk, I dump the water and refill it. Now, the source or availability is still an issue (like a fresh water hose on boats), but you are still better off doing a basic rinse when you finish your dives. When I get home is when I do what I consider to be my "real" cleaning w/ my own water and the J&J.

This stuff isn't that fragile, and even if you get a little water in your first stage (fresh water, mind you. saltwater, well get prepared for a ittle unscheduled service) you can pull off your SPG and just blow out the lines. The regs are the simplest to clean and the thing you need to be the most conciencious about cleaning. BCs, fins, mask, etc. are pretty hardy and simple cleaning efforts like those described here are sufficient. The whole effort on a dive-to-dive basis shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

texdiveguy
08-09-2007, 09:34
Nothing better than FRESH WATER diving for gear longevity!!

letsgodiving
08-09-2007, 10:07
If we are traveling I just dunk the gear at the dockside, and then clean everything against in a bath of fresh water back at the hotel.

When we get home everything goes in the swimming pool, which uses a salt water chlorinator with a salt reading of 3,000 ppm. The pool is technically fresh water but I always hose everything down well after its been in the pool.

tywenglar
08-09-2007, 10:10

IMHO...This works IF you rinse as soon as you exit the water AND the water in the rinse tub is not already salty from everyone else. If the salt has time to crystalize then a quick swish is not enough to disolve the crystals. The crystals then act like sandpaper causing undue wear.

The fact that rinse tanks often end up as salty as the gulf I make it a point to rinse at home with water I know is fresh and clean.

Just my two cents worth.

MEL-DC Diver
08-09-2007, 10:40

IMHO...This works IF you rinse as soon as you exit the water AND the water in the rinse tub is not already salty from everyone else. If the salt has time to crystalize then a quick swish is not enough to disolve the crystals. The crystals then act like sandpaper causing undue wear.

The fact that rinse tanks often end up as salty as the gulf I make it a point to rinse at home with water I know is fresh and clean.

Just my two cents worth.

See my post #18

Dive-aholic
08-09-2007, 12:15
Most of my diving is in fresh water, so no need for gear rinsing in most cases. The water I dive in is safer than the tap water! I do wash my wetsuits, though. I usually just toss them in the washing machine on gentle cycle. I've been doing this for a few years with no issues.

When I dive salt water, I usually wait until the end of the dive vacation to soak. My gear usually doesn't have time to dry anyway, though. I used to try to rinse each day, but I got lazy. The gear is still holding up just fine.

As for soaking your regs. The dust cap is just that, a dust cap. It's not designed to keep water out of the reg. Regs should be hosed down, not soaked. True, getting fresh water in the first stage isn't a big deal, every once in a while, but doing it after every dive day isn't a good idea.

cummings66
08-09-2007, 13:24
Most of my diving is in fresh water, so no need for gear rinsing in most cases. The water I dive in is safer than the tap water!

I wish our fresh water was that clean. Ours is pretty nasty stuff, in fact it's not uncommon to find sandy silt in the regulator if you don't clean it quickly enough, and that's without stirring it up.

When you have 1 or 2 feet of visibility you've got to suspect some of that crud is getting in and needs to be cleaned out. I soak my regulators attached and pressurised, in fact the Apeks manual says to do it that way.

I'd agree that a dust cap isn't meant for water.

skdvr
08-09-2007, 15:21
I only dive fresh water here so if I am gone for the weekend I will nust hangit up at the end of the day with no special attention unless I got into something really nasty, or set my gear in something nasty. Then when I get home I fill up a rubbermaid tub to dunk all the neoprene in and the BC's (I am usually the one doing this for me and my wife). I dunk them in there a few times then pull them out and spray them off with the hose. After each piece gets rinsed it gets hung up in the garage. For the BC's I do the same as the neoprene except that I also rinse out the inside. I fully inflate the BC when I hang it up so that any residual water will go down to the bottom which I will drain out the next day. After blowing it up and draining a few times the next day I hook a tank up to it and fill it with dry air and then it gets hung up in the basement. I always hook the regs up to the tanks to rinse them off. I know you can do it without pressure but I would rather be safe than sorry. After rinsing gloves I turn them insideout to dry for a day and then rightside out after that. I did not use to do that until they started stinking on me because they were not getting dry. My boots I just flip the tops down and leave in the garage for about a week so that they can dry. I really need to get a boot dryer, it would make me feel much better about them being completely dry. Everything is usually in the garage for a day or two and then I move it all to the basement when it is dry. The BC's and wetsuits get hung up along with marker bouys and liftbags, then the fins, computers, masks and other stuff that will not soak up any water goes into their tubs. If I am not going to be diving for a while I fill the wetsuits with newspaper to keep them for getting flat. The Regs have their own little rubbermaid tubs that they stay in so that nothing is crushing them. That is really all I can think of, I am sure I am missing something...

Phil

Dive-aholic
08-10-2007, 03:08
Most of my diving is in fresh water, so no need for gear rinsing in most cases. The water I dive in is safer than the tap water!

I wish our fresh water was that clean. Ours is pretty nasty stuff, in fact it's not uncommon to find sandy silt in the regulator if you don't clean it quickly enough, and that's without stirring it up.

When you have 1 or 2 feet of visibility you've got to suspect some of that crud is getting in and needs to be cleaned out. I soak my regulators attached and pressurised, in fact the Apeks manual says to do it that way.

I'd agree that a dust cap isn't meant for water.

I've been in water like that. I was in NM about a month and a half ago and dove Perch Lake. That water was nasty. As soon as you got with a couple dozen feet of it, you could smell the rotten eggs! You better believe I soaked my gear after that!

I've also soaked my regs while pressurized, usually when I've been diving salt for a while, like on a warm water vacation.

cummings66
08-10-2007, 12:50
I know this much, I dive tablerock lake a lot, quarries a lot and some other lakes. I saw first hand how much sand got into my regulator and after about 60 or 70 dives it's enough to cause problems if you don't get it out right now. I rinsed it out after every dive as well, but not as well as I do now. I used to do a half hearted swish and flush and thought because it was fresh water that was good enough. It's not. At least not in all the areas I dive.

In fact I just took some of my scuba gear apart today and noticed it has sand in it. Nothing critical, but it's got sand in it. IMO diving lakes is as bad as diving in salt water due to the sand we have, it kind of takes the place of salt. Easier to clean up though.

I will say this, if you care for your regulators you'll rinse them off even if all you dive in is Midwest lakes. It cakes up. I want to add that I do not stir up silt when diving, I stay off the bottom and don't touch things so it's not because I'm making a mess of things. It's because when you dive in water with only a few feet of visibility that the reason it's so low is because there is silt floating in it. That gets into your gear and is just as harmful as salt is, minus the corrosion issues.

liuk3
08-10-2007, 13:00
We use Simple Green to wash gear.

I'm not sure that I would use something as caustic as Simple Green to wash my gear.

liuk3
08-10-2007, 13:02
I've also soaked my regs while pressurized, usually when I've been diving salt for a while, like on a warm water vacation.

I usually take the reg under pressure attached to the tank, and just soak the whole thing (reg+tank) in warm water.

namabiru
08-10-2007, 16:48
We use Simple Green to wash gear. Once the BC bladders are rinsed and swished (3x usually), we always add a cap full of mouthwash and move the bladder around to distribute it. A few days after the BC has hung to dry, I always empty the last bit of water that has pooled at the bottom of the bladder, add a little more air, and hang until the next dive trip.

With Simple Green, what dilution do you use? Just wondering, as I've heard SG works well for inside as well as the outside of a BC. Can you also do regs in Simple Green, or better not to?

I also would have never thought of using mouthwash! But now that I think about it, you're right. Mouthwash kills germs and that kind of stuff, and it's cheap. You can get Walmart brand for pennies. Thank you!

underwaterdan
08-13-2007, 10:04
I guess I am gullable, I buy the BC wash and use that - from what I read here I can use simple baby shampoo?

MEL-DC Diver
08-13-2007, 10:21
I guess I am gullable, I buy the BC wash and use that - from what I read here I can use simple baby shampoo?

Nothing wrong with that. I use baby shampoo 'cause I use it on my kids and it never hurt them :smiley36:

Really, the common low-strength, non-abrasive cleansers will do the job 99% of the time. If you come down with a really strong stench that won't go away, then myrazamine will probably kill it. Otherwise cleaning your gear with baby shampoo and/or your basic rinsing after each dive day will do you just fine.

rdiver
08-13-2007, 10:24
Our shop just had us dunk the BC into a tank and put it on a hanger. After I get my own gear, I'm making it a point to take the best care of it! Nothing like spending several hundred dollars and then neglecting it.

Dive-aholic
08-13-2007, 13:30
We use Simple Green to wash gear.

I'm not sure that I would use something as caustic as Simple Green to wash my gear.

How is it caustic? Simple Green is what most of us use to O2 clean our regs, valves, and tanks.

94GTStang
08-13-2007, 13:47
Shoot, I've seen what Simple Green does to my motor, I don't think I want to spray it on my gear... Just my opinion

cummings66
08-14-2007, 00:04
Look for a study from the Air Force on Simple Green, ask any pilots who know about it. That stuff is a killer on aluminum, will corrode the heck out of it if it gets in a seam somewhere. It's not used by those who fly due to corrosion concerns, and it's proven.

It's fine to o2 clean your gear with because you can get it all back off, but a dunk would leave me wondering.

TAH 73
08-14-2007, 07:55
Simple green clear will strip clear adonizing off aluminum, and I have some previously shiny parts that are now a darked dull grey to prove it.
For washing my gear I picked up a bottle of wetsuit shampoo that the BC, suit, gloves and boots get done in.
The regs get rinsed in clear clean water, with the amount of rubber/o-rings and such in there I tend not to want to use to many chemicals in there. Soak and rinse pressurized dry and put away. Been following that regiment for a few years and when I took my regs in for service I asked the tech how they looked, and he didn't note any issues. No dives in salt water but have done a few dives that were quite silty and the regular area I dive doesn't have great vis as well.
Do the mouthwash rinse for the BC as well.

BSea
08-14-2007, 08:45
Don't do this with Atomic regs. They have a seat saver that opens up the 2nd stage when it's not under pressure, and you can get water in the reg. I attach mine to my pony & soak the whole thing in the tub & purge the reg both in the water and then out of the water.

Zenagirl
08-14-2007, 10:42
Wow, thanks for the heads up about Simple Green.....I had NO idea...won't use the stuff anymore for dive gear, that's for sure!

Splitlip
08-14-2007, 18:33
Don't do this with Atomic regs. They have a seat saver that opens up the 2nd stage when it's not under pressure, and you can get water in the reg. I attach mine to my pony & soak the whole thing in the tub & purge the reg both in the water and then out of the water.

Ditto with the Scubapro High Performance Regs unless you close down the adjustments.
Atomic execs came from Scubapro and the regs are similar to the s-600. The Scuba pro however has a manual cracking pressure knob while the Atomic is auto adjust by water pressure. The Atomic is open when not under pressure, as I understand it.

(Desdemona. The girl with the cosmic muffin. I am a fan.)

namabiru
08-14-2007, 22:04
Cheers on the tip about baby shampoo too. I can see how you can use a mild strength shampoo solution (baby shampoo + water, leave the baby out) to wash your BCD. I'm a bit concerned, as I'll be going on the cruise. Obviously I'll wash my stuff there and do my very best, but I *know* I will want to give a nice second scrub when I arrive back home, and that will be when I break out the soap.

Yep, I feel the same way about cleaning my gear. Don't have a heap of money to throw around, so want to look after what I've been lucky to be able to accumulate thus far. That's why I'm asking.

Flatliner
08-16-2007, 20:28
I confess that I am a bit OCD but I fill the bath tub at the end of the weekend. Use BC shampoo I got at my LDS and wash all of our gear completely. I also hose everything off each day. It then hangs until dry before putting it away in the rubbermaid container.

Flatliner
aka Robert

Buoyant1
08-16-2007, 20:29
At home in the quarries...Fresh water rinse of everything...swish water in the BC..hang til dry, then back in the bag or the basement depending on when I'm diving again...usually I hit it with "sink the stink" about once a month! (although booty funk makes me do those about every other week!)

Salt water, I give everything a good rinse either on the boat or on the dock depending on the set up after each trip...then when I get home a good soak in sink the stink to make sure all the salt is off of everything.

JoannD
10-01-2007, 07:13
I soak my gear in the spare bathtub for a few hours with a small amout of Tide (I've always used clothes detergent.) Then soak in plain water, then rinse under a spray hose I installed on the shower head (then I don't have to shower with my equipment.) Then, I blow up my BC and leave everything in the shower to dry completely before repacking in my dive bag. I do keep neoprene divesuits hanging until I think I will need them.

robjoubert
01-27-2008, 09:19

Does it harm the regs if they are left hanging from the the BC hangar for long periods? The one I have has the "port" impression for the first stage and I was wondering if the regs could suffer damage in anyway if they were left hanging. I am asking because my b&m LDS has all their regs hanging from hooks.

jbres1
01-27-2008, 09:58
I dump my suit, hood ,gloves, boots, backplate/wing (wing filled with water)and mask into a 50 gal garbage can of clean tap water and let is soak for about 10-12 hours, then rince off and hang to dry.
About every 6 to 8 dives I use a little wetsuit cleaner in the water.
The regs get a rinse/dunk in fresh water while hooked up to a pony bottle with air on. I use a tooth brush on the mouth pc. . I sometimes use that scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner on the 2nd stage with the tooth brush.
Jim breslin

TRACI
02-08-2008, 16:04
Soak wetsuits and BC in tub with BC cleaner, then add a little sink the stink, let dry, then I spray a lil Febreeze , then for added freshness, I usually put a couple of fabric dryer sheets in the pockets if I am not going to be diving for awhile.

scubasamurai
02-08-2008, 16:43
my lds says for the regs as long as the dust cap is secure you should soak your regs including the second stage , but only for about 10 minutes.
ihave a rubber maid tub and let the gear soak in there along with filling the bladder with water for at least a day or so till the salt crystals are gone

cummings66
02-09-2008, 14:38
I'd suggest doing what the regs manual says. Mine says to have it under pressure.

awap
02-09-2008, 15:21
my lds says for the regs as long as the dust cap is secure you should soak your regs including the second stage , but only for about 10 minutes.
ihave a rubber maid tub and let the gear soak in there along with filling the bladder with water for at least a day or so till the salt crystals are gone

Ask your shop how a 10 minute soak removes the SW that works its way down arounf the threads to the o-ring seals at the yoke nut and SPG spool. 10 minutes is simply not enough.

Super-Duper Scubasteve
02-09-2008, 19:06
One of the main things I do is rinse all my snorkeling gear in the bathtub, then let it all soke there for about 12 hours.

cutter77
02-14-2008, 23:20
Never use the garden tub in the guest bathroom.....except for rinsing gear after a trip. Guess it wasn't such a waste after all.

drtom437
02-15-2008, 09:26
I have been helping out in pool sessions, chlorine is just as tough on gear as SW. I fill up spare bathtub add bc shampoo and let everything except reg soak for about 12 hours. Reg gets a quick rinse and swish thats it. Evertyhing after 12 hours is rinsed under fresh water and hung. Blow up BC bladder to dry.

The idea of adding notuhwash is an execellent. I also think the baby shampoo is godd and will save me $$$. thanks

Tom

KGNickl
02-15-2008, 09:40
This thread has some good info. Been looking for a thread with a compilation of various gear cleaning info.

Sparkyvett
04-24-2008, 14:19
This is a great thread, I say move all of these simmilar tips pages into their own folder. That way I don't have to search for them. (So I'm a little lazy)

EuphoriaII
04-24-2008, 22:35
If I'm on a cruise ship, then I wash it all off really good in the shower and put it on the balcony to dry.
If it's local lake diving, then when I get home I use the garden hose to thoroughly wash it down

CFDAlden
04-25-2008, 01:30
The regs primary gets put on the shelf that runs around our jacizzi tub, and soak the secondary's in the tub. The BC's, wetsuits and other stuff can go in the tub at the same time.

Everything gets dried on a rack in the same tub.

fisheater
04-25-2008, 08:39
My addition:

I bring along two 5 gallon buckets, with lids.

I fill both with fresh water after my shore dives. Camera system goes in one and regs go in the other. I clamp the lids down and they get all the agitation they need on the drive home.

Once home, it's regular washing (using the Stanley tool/dive box as a rinse basin).

DUnder
04-25-2008, 15:07
I dive only freash water so my equipment just gets a quick rinse. I do like to soak my wet suit in water with a little mouthwash added to it.

CompuDude
04-25-2008, 15:16
My addition:

I bring along two 5 gallon buckets, with lids.

I fill both with fresh water after my shore dives. Camera system goes in one and regs go in the other. I clamp the lids down and they get all the agitation they need on the drive home.

Once home, it's regular washing (using the Stanley tool/dive box as a rinse basin).

We do that down here, too. Only, I only bring one 5 gal bucket. If I had a pickup, I might bring a second, but one suffices to get me home.

As to the rest of gear care, soaking in fresh water is definitely key. A quick splash isn't nearly as effective as a good soak.

cummings66
04-26-2008, 09:17
Lots of nasty stuff in fresh water that will make a wetsuit stink, mouth wash works pretty good. I use listerine.

mark44883
04-26-2008, 09:46
wear it in the shower with me sometimes

Largo
04-26-2008, 10:26
I use MiraZyme to rinse my gear, everytime. It is expensive, kind of, but worth it.

Its the same reason I get my transmission serviced every 25,000 miles.

Dive-aholic
04-26-2008, 11:03
Unscented, liquid laundry detergent works better than mirazyme and it's a lot less expensive. When I first started diving I got pulled into that by the LDS. I even bought the stuff by the gallon. I've had better results with laundry detergent.

pyre24
04-26-2008, 14:27
Im glad I found his thread. Guess its time to go to Wal-Mart.

Largo
04-26-2008, 18:03
Different strokes for different folks, but I'm not using detergent on my stuff.

terrillja
04-26-2008, 21:33
I throw it all in a tub with some simple green or Clorox GreenWorks concentrate, whether for salt or pool water, or when diving in water with invasive species. Cleans it up and it's biodegradable.

terrillja
04-26-2008, 21:35
Different strokes for different folks, but I'm not using detergent on my stuff.
Try Simple Green or Clorox GreenWorks concentrate. Both are biodegradable and are fairly mild cleaners.

Largo
04-26-2008, 22:03
I don't know. I had some friends who drove those radio-controlled cars. They would spray simple green on the rubber tires to make them 'melt' so that they would get better traction.

cummings66
04-26-2008, 22:39
It's fact, they do spray SG on rubber tires and it does make it melt a tiny bit. It however does nothing to foam. Personally, when I use my wetsuit which is rare I use laundry detergent when I need to. Normally I just take it into the bathtub and rinse it out after every dive. I usually don't need to wash it, but I have done so once. That come from peeing in it, I quit that BS and haven't had to wash it since.

hoobascooba
04-26-2008, 22:57
man all i do is rinse my gear off with the spray hose outside. no soap, no detergents, no stink, no worries...

Largo
04-27-2008, 11:34
Hooba makes a good point. The BCDs usually come from the factory, treated with an anti-fungal, I believe.

I think that we should clarify something.

Are we talking about using detergent and stuff specifically on wetsuits, and / or BCDs?

Or do you also clean your reg sets with cleaners?

mobeeno
04-27-2008, 12:09
So what is your cleaning routine for BC & Regs when you dive? Is it different for Salt/Fresh water? Do you do anything special before storing equipment for longer periods of time??

Reason I ask is I'm kind of particular about maintaining stuff, I know about the service intervals, I'm talking about general cleaning, and maint. after a dive..
Soak in fresh water immediately after diving if possible. For neoprene stuff. I put a little listerine. The bc, I put water into the inflator hose and shake it a little. Regulator hooked up to tank if possible and soak. Dry everything in the shade.

Babster
04-27-2008, 12:10
I have to say, there's been a lot of good info here. I just bought my gear (BC, regs, and suit), so I've been following this thread with great interest, so I can treat my new gear right. :)

mobeeno
04-27-2008, 12:10
Hooba makes a good point. The BCDs usually come from the factory, treated with an anti-fungal, I believe.

Are we talking about using detergent and stuff specifically on wetsuits, and / or BCDs?

Largo, where you Phil?

DiverMAN
04-27-2008, 12:18
I don't have a bc or reg yet, but when I clean my fins, mask, and other personal gear I just throw them in the shower and rinse them off.

mobeeno
04-27-2008, 13:25
I don't have a bc or reg yet, but when I clean my fins, mask, and other personal gear I just take throw them in the shower and rinse them off.
Throw them gently "It is your life support system"

Largo
04-27-2008, 14:49

Largo, where you Phil?

Yes. I changed it because there are other Phils.

NoTime58
04-27-2008, 17:33
man all i do is rinse my gear off with the spray hose outside. no soap, no detergents, no stink, no worries...

I do the same with no problems !! :smiley20:

imasinker
04-27-2008, 19:20
I clean my regs, BCD, weight pouches with fresh cold water, then I wash with baby shampoo (a tiny drop) in the bath tub my fins, masks, snorkel, wetsuit and boots, then rinse in cold fresh water. I rinse my gauges and computers in fresh cold water then hand dry with a lint free cloth. My new dry suit I don't have yet I will buy the actual cleaner for it . I then let everything hang dry in the shower.

frogman159
04-27-2008, 22:20

I second that:smiley20:

mixahl
04-27-2008, 22:24

I second that:smiley20::smiley20:

I third...:smiley20::smiley20::smiley20:

ScubaJoe
05-14-2008, 01:16

Reason I ask is I'm kind of particular about maintaining stuff, I know about the service intervals, I'm talking about general cleaning, and maint. after a dive..I have a large trash can... dunk everything in... hang it on gear hangers to dry... My garage door has a lip on the bottom (where the door meets the ground). I raise the door and hang it there to finish the drip-dry. Next, I move it to the hooks in the ceiling until I am ready to pack for the next dive.

Hose water (some in the bp to rinse salt out)

coral cowgirl
05-15-2008, 19:12
If at all possible I take mine back to the room and rinse in the shower....don't like the idea of putting regs in my mouth that have been in a "communal" tank.

Splitlip
05-15-2008, 20:04
If at all possible I take mine back to the room and rinse in the shower....don't like the idea of putting regs in my mouth that have been in a "communal" tank.

Atta girl! Don't use the mask rinse on boats either. Here is one of my early posts. Absulutely true story.

One of my first posts here...

The orignal post I asked if anyone still used rinse buckets for their masks.

Well ok then. I guess you need more.
Couple years ago I was on one of the local charters. We were going out for a couple 60 footers. Easy dives, nice day.
After the first dive, one of the divers in another group surfaces with what looks like a couple of large green and red bloody amoebas in his mask. He pulls his mask off and proclaims that this happens all the time and he is used to it.
As he is talking, one of the nasty globs slides out of the mask like a rotten oyster and slaps on the deck with a sound like the the monkey's hand hitting the transporter window in "The FLY".
The guy quickly appologizes and rubs the sickening mass around with his foot. Then, you guessed it, he dips his mask in the rinse bucket so that the other offensive blob won't disturb anybody.
When he swirled his mask in the bucket, it looked like a frog in a blender.
So now, I rinse my mask with the shower, a water bottle from my bag or even a cup of water from the keg on board. Or, of course, I wait until I splash.
So for all you folks who proudly proclaim that luggies make the best defog and then rinse in somebody's bucket, just remember that sombody may decide your regulator bag makes thebest urinalhttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif.

edl
05-15-2008, 20:19
some of you guys said you take off the dump valve on bc I have nighthawk do you need a special tool or do it by hand

ChrisA
05-19-2008, 18:25

How can water get in? I have one end capped with the dust cap. It's a rubber plug that is screwed dwon pretty hard. At the other end is the second stage valve seat. this thing can hold 160 PSI of air so certainly it can hold a few feet of water pressure. I let the reg soak in my rince tank sometimes for everal days. I've done this several hundred times and my Apeks reg mostly goes a full year between service

ChrisA
05-19-2008, 18:30

The ocean is kind of the ulimite "communal tank" isn't it? If the ocean os OK then the rince tank is nothing compared to that

ChrisA
05-19-2008, 18:33

I used fresh water fro the hose to fill my rince tank. However some times I put some "Simple Green" in the tank to make a very weak solution that does not need to be rinced off.. I use the Simple Green every couple weeks.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
05-19-2008, 19:06
I rinse the salt out by diving in the quarry. I rinse the mud off by diving in the ocean. Not sure my gear has gotten dry in the last 6 months. It definitely hasn't been put into storage.

huvrr
05-19-2008, 19:16
I rinse the salt out by diving in the quarry. I rinse the mud off by diving in the ocean. Not sure my gear has gotten dry in the last 6 months. It definitely hasn't been put into storage.
BJ it sounds like a great cleaning program to me and fun to boot.

DOWNDEEP73
05-19-2008, 21:18
I take a short waterhose with me when I dive the lakes around here. I will stop by the RV dump station hook up the hose to the faulcet and rinse my equipment. Then hang it home.

CompuDude
05-19-2008, 23:46

How can water get in? I have one end capped with the dust cap. It's a rubber plug that is screwed dwon pretty hard. At the other end is the second stage valve seat. this thing can hold 160 PSI of air so certainly it can hold a few feet of water pressure. I let the reg soak in my rince tank sometimes for everal days. I've done this several hundred times and my Apeks reg mostly goes a full year between service

I have DIN regs with a screw-on DIN cap that makes a water-tight seal with the o-ring. Water will not enter. Regs that have the DVT system from Oceanic (and whatever AquaLung calls theirs) should also be ok in water.

I wouldn't trust most yoke regs in the water, though. It's called a "dust cap" for a reason, and manufacturers don't generally recommend immersion.

If you can trust the seal, however, soaking will do things for your regs that a simple rinse cannot. It takes time to dissolve salt deposits.

RoyN
05-20-2008, 00:57
I'm diving on a weekly basis, but I usually wash my gear. First my wetsuit, then the BC and reg, and then the camera. And once I get the drysuit, then more work for me.

highdesert
06-13-2008, 18:08
Some people say it's better to store your BC, if it's not going to be used for awhile, with the bladder partially inflated. Makes sense to me; don't ask me the scientific "why" of it, but I do it.

Empacher
06-13-2008, 18:54
does anyone use any of the commercial cleaning solutions that ST sells?

dive10killer
06-13-2008, 21:19
Just a good rinse of everything with a waterhose when I get home.

mitsuguy
06-13-2008, 22:34
does anyone use any of the commercial cleaning solutions that ST sells?

mm_dm here on the board gave me some good advice - the mirazyme stuff works great, but you use it sparingly because its quite expensive....

go to your local grocery and buy some white vinegar... does a similar job, and you don't have to be as sparing... $2 for a gallon or $10 for a small tube...

plot
06-15-2008, 18:15
I don't get to the salt often so I just dive in fresh water whenever I get back from the ocean to get the salt out.

Outside of that, I just soak my gear in a tub of water and change out the water after a few hours... the exception being my regs. I pressurize them and rinse them out before drying them off and putting them away.

My buddy soaks all his stuff in a Listerine bath to kill off all the germs and what not, seams to work well. His gear always smells good anyways and we havn't noticed any adverse effects after 2 years (like fading or anything).

CompuDude
06-16-2008, 14:05
Some people say it's better to store your BC, if it's not going to be used for awhile, with the bladder partially inflated. Makes sense to me; don't ask me the scientific "why" of it, but I do it.

The scientific "why" is the inner bladder, made of plastic, can sometimes stick to it's other half if left in contact for a significant amount of time. Everyone has seen how soft plastic sticks to itself over time, somewhere, I'm sure. Same thing can happen inside the bladder. And if it tears a little while being forced apart, well, you get the idea.

By keeping some air in it, just enough to keep the sides apart without contact, this risk is minimized.

Trey9123
06-16-2008, 14:10
don't forget that your hoses will last longer if you let them hang versus just coiling them up in the reg bag. You can buy purpose built hangers for this.

CompuDude
06-16-2008, 15:50
don't forget that your hoses will last longer if you let them hang versus just coiling them up in the reg bag. You can buy purpose built hangers for this.

Um, that's not correct. Quite the opposite, in fact. Sorry. :(

Reg hoses last longest if they are loosely coiled and rested. Such as in a reg bag, as long as the hoses are not too tightly coiled. The key is to avoid tight bends which strain the hose rubber or connectors.

Hanging the hoses puts strain on the connector (from the weight of the hose and/or the weight of the reg/console/etc on the other end) and causes stretching, which leads to earlier failure.

Dive shops often hang their regs for convenience, not because it makes them last longer.

When traveling, if you want to use a special reg hanger to temporarily hang your regs while away from home, that's not going to hurt anything. But for long term storage, hanging is NOT a good idea.

dive10killer
06-16-2008, 17:31
I hope that hanging the regs and hoses is not true. I have been keeping mine in the Reg. bag!

reactive
06-16-2008, 18:58
good to know CompuDude!
Thanks! I got the reg bag that ST gives you when you buy a new reg set. Does anyone think that using this would cause a too tight of a coil on the hoses?

Are there any special percautions when using miflex hoses?

CompuDude
06-16-2008, 23:29
good to know CompuDude!
Thanks! I got the reg bag that ST gives you when you buy a new reg set. Does anyone think that using this would cause a too tight of a coil on the hoses?

Are there any special percautions when using miflex hoses?

It's about the same size as my reg bag, so I don't think it would be a problem. Just make sure you have them nicely coiled and there are no tight bends.

I don't think there is enough long term info to know for sure what is and is not a problem for Miflex hoses. There is 100 years plus of knowledge about the behavior of rubber hoses over time.

I do know that I would be MORE careful with stressing the Miflex connectors, since the hose material itself seems a bit more robust (meaning the weakest point, as always, is the connection), and perhaps less careful about somewhat tighter coils, given their extra flexiness and strength.

texdiveguy
06-16-2008, 23:39
With the exception of my deco reg. sets that for the most part stay mounted to the deco tanks... I coil and store my primary and alt. regs for storage and travel.

cummings66
06-17-2008, 17:52
I coil and store mine as well, it's always best to do it this way. Anytime it's hanging you're putting stress on it, not much but some. In the end I doubt it'd be enough to change the lifespan by much. However, hanging is harder on them.

Vercingetorix
06-18-2008, 07:12
I keep mine coiled in my ST reg bag. Switching to Miflex today for primary when I stop by ST. CompuDude did great review of Miflex elsewhere that convinced me that it's the way to go.

konfuzed
06-25-2008, 17:47
This topic was great after coming back from Bonaire all week with my own stuff. I didn't really smell anything after getting in on the flight but soaking in some J&J and water overnight and then leaving them to dry hanging up cant hurt.

diver-wife
07-04-2008, 16:49
well I did not read all 10 posts, but this is what I do,

Fresh water- rinse everything off with a garden hose, put some water in my BC bladder and swish it around.

salt. I take a plastic rubbermaid container, fill it 1/3 full with water, and put all of my gear in it and on the drive home it sloshes around, when I get home (2 hour drive) I take a garden hose and rinse it all.

DallasMarineBio
07-04-2008, 22:56
Living in an apt I usually soak all my stuff in the tub, drain and refill a couple times...

...or just go diving in fresh water :)

diver 85
07-09-2008, 22:47
Living in an apt I usually soak all my stuff in the tub, drain and refill a couple times...

...or just go diving in fresh water :)

Basically same here, grab and claim an empty tub for about 2 days in the house, soak everything for 1 day, dump the water and let it drain/dry on the 2nd day....wife can't complain, usually some of it's her equipment too.....

Flfiremedic
07-11-2008, 18:12
I'm embarrassed to say I've never thought of purging the valves at the end...and I'm considered very uptight about cleaning gear! YIKES.

digitalman
07-12-2008, 15:23
On a multiple day fresh water trip, I just rinse my gear when I get home. Salt water, my gear gets rinsed after each day. I always try to fill the BC with fresh water and drain it when I'm rinsing it. Then, I leave a little air in the BC for storage.