PDA

View Full Version : CREW/TEAM 1510 completes PADI OW

Clanggedin
06-24-2008, 11:26
I just got back from a weekend at Sand Hollow Reservoir in Utah with my Venturing Crew of 5 boys and a Varsity team of 6 boys (11 total boys). We also had 3 adults complete their OW certifications.

The temp was 111 degrees on the sand, but we managed to keep cool and hydrated . I only had one boy that had issues with his CESA. He panicked, but kept his reg in his mouth as he surfaced.

My brother and I completed our AOW dives at the same time. Sand Hollow had a sunken Cessna for us to explore. I am now in love with night diving and will be doing another night dive tonight in our local pond with a group of dive instructors.

We have a few boys that have expressed interest in going further. We are going to hold off on Rescue until a couple of the Venturing scouts finish their AOW. We think we will be able to start Rescue in September and Divemaster in Jan 09'.

Anyway, the scouts had a great time and we will be planning some dives now that they are certified.

cgvmer
06-24-2008, 15:08
That is tremendous. I wish I could get the interest in Scuba around here, my son (15) is working on Eagle for is troop, but is also a member of Sea Scout ship that docks on the Hudson River in NJ.

cummings66
06-26-2008, 10:53
We are going to hold off on Rescue until a couple of the Venturing scouts finish their AOW. We think we will be able to start Rescue in September and Divemaster in Jan 09'.

Let me first say congrats on the course and you're helping with the scouts, admirable.

Now let me say, if your dive profile data is right and you have less than 25 dives, slow down. Take it easy. You'll never be a great DM without having taken the time to do it right. Knowledge alone doesn't make you a DM, skills do. You're going a bit fast IMO in other words, except I think you should do rescue as soon as possible because I think all divers need that course. DM should wait, IMO.

Clanggedin
06-26-2008, 11:43
We are going to hold off on Rescue until a couple of the Venturing scouts finish their AOW. We think we will be able to start Rescue in September and Divemaster in Jan 09'.

Let me first say congrats on the course and you're helping with the scouts, admirable.

Now let me say, if your dive profile data is right and you have less than 25 dives, slow down. Take it easy. You'll never be a great DM without having taken the time to do it right. Knowledge alone doesn't make you a DM, skills do. You're going a bit fast IMO in other words, except I think you should do rescue as soon as possible because I think all divers need that course. DM should wait, IMO.

I only have 10 dives actually. I've been told by a number of different Dive Instructors that I am exceptionally skilled for a diver with such low of dives. I have done a few dives that I can't log because the pond was only 14'. The LDS is really pushing us (my brother and I) to take Rescue and DM quickly because of our skills. I would rather wait, but I need DM to take my scouts out on dives. Otherwise I have to pay a DM to go with us and I just depleated the majority of my budget for the year getting the boys certified and paying for their High Adventure. They (the LDS) wanted me to take Rescue in July and DM in September, but I need some time to get more dives in and save the $$ for the DM class.

bubbletrubble
06-26-2008, 14:49
I only have 10 dives actually. I've been told by a number of different Dive Instructors that I am exceptionally skilled for a diver with such low of dives. I have done a few dives that I can't log because the pond was only 14'. The LDS is really pushing us (my brother and I) to take Rescue and DM quickly because of our skills. I would rather wait, but I need DM to take my scouts out on dives. Otherwise I have to pay a DM to go with us and I just depleated the majority of my budget for the year getting the boys certified and paying for their High Adventure. They (the LDS) wanted me to take Rescue in July and DM in September, but I need some time to get more dives in and save the $$ for the DM class.

I think it's great that you're involved with Scouting. I wish that others in my troop had expressed interest in diving back when I was a Scout. Your plan to push through to DM training is reasonable, although I would also like to caution you about going too fast through the various levels of instruction. In fact, I would go a little further than what cummings66 said and contend that there's no substitute for experience. Dive in different conditions: current, boat dives, cold water, low/no vis. Dive with different people. Take the initiative and lead dives when you can. Join a dive club...or two. Dive as often as you can. Weird stuff happens on dives. Equipment malfunctions. Your mask will break. Your light will flood. Insta-buddies/regular buddies can do unexpected things. People will panic. You'll lose your buddy. You'll get tangled up in fishing line. Health issues can complicate things. The experience gained from working through all of these problems will make you a better and safer diver. Have fun and dive safe.

ScottW
06-26-2008, 15:22
In fact, I would go a little further than what cummings66 said and contend that there's no substitute for experience. Dive in different conditions: current, boat dives, cold water, low/no vis. Dive with different people. Take the initiative and lead dives when you can. Join a dive club...or two. Dive as often as you can.
I would agree. You have a lot more locations to dive now than we did a while ago...even a few weeks.

I have done a few dives that I can't log because the pond was only 14'.
Why not? Salem Pond and Bureston Ponds are not considered confined water. :smilie39: You were breathing air at depth right?

But more importantly congratulations to your Venturing Crew for obtaining OW and to you and your bro on getting your AOW.

Clanggedin
06-26-2008, 22:40
I thought in order for a dive to be loggable that it had to be 20' for 20 minutes. Salem Pond is only 14'.

I have had 3 dives where I have experienced low to zero vis (Seabase, Salem Pond). I have lost my dive buddy on one occasion. I have had a light flood (it still worked for a bit) and a reel lock up. A bolt from my brother's bp/wing came loose and his tank swiveled sideways and we ended a dive with me holding his tank in place. I have also had a weight belt come unlatched (thank goodness for my crotch strap). One of my scout's bc's broke underwater and I had to help him get back to shore with his damaged bc. I had another scout's o-ring burst and I had to shut his air off underwater and surface with him using my octo.

My dives have not been perfect in any way and I am glad each of those things have happened so I can learn how to react. I do plan on getting as many dives as I can in the meantime that will offer me different experiences where I can learn.

mitsuguy
06-26-2008, 22:51
I thought in order for a dive to be loggable that it had to be 20' for 20 minutes. Salem Pond is only 14'.

I have had 3 dives where I have experienced low to zero vis (Seabase, Salem Pond). I have lost my dive buddy on one occasion. I have had a light flood (it still worked for a bit) and a reel lock up. A bolt from my brother's bp/wing came loose and his tank swiveled sideways and we ended a dive with me holding his tank in place. I have also had a weight belt come unlatched (thank goodness for my crotch strap). One of my scout's bc's broke underwater and I had to help him get back to shore with his damaged bc. I had another scout's o-ring burst and I had to shut his air off underwater and surface with him using my octo.

My dives have not been perfect in any way and I am glad each of those things have happened so I can learn how to react. I do plan on getting as many dives as I can in the meantime the will offer me different experiences where I can learn.

lemme give you a couple pointers... first off, don't talk about going faster than average for training on this board, I have been flamed multiple times, and I'm not even going as fast as I might be able to...

secondly, as far as training is concerned, 20' might be the rule, but its your log book, you can feel free to log just about anything you consider a dive... I regularly dive the Comal river, and you'd have to dig to get below 11-12', but it's an hour and a half drift dive and it's excellent practice... damn well I log that...

also, talking about experience doesn't seem to matter to anyone here as well... go read my "woohoo, aow, nitrox" thread, and you'll see what I mean...

Clanggedin
06-26-2008, 23:00

My dives have not been perfect in any way and I am glad each of those things have happened so I can learn how to react. I do plan on getting as many dives as I can in the meantime the will offer me different experiences where I can learn.

lemme give you a couple pointers... first off, don't talk about going faster than average for training on this board, I have been flamed multiple times, and I'm not even going as fast as I might be able to...

secondly, as far as training is concerned, 20' might be the rule, but its your log book, you can feel free to log just about anything you consider a dive... I regularly dive the Comal river, and you'd have to dig to get below 11-12', but it's an hour and a half drift dive and it's excellent practice... damn well I log that...

also, talking about experience doesn't seem to matter to anyone here as well... go read my "woohoo, aow, nitrox" thread, and you'll see what I mean...

Thanks Mitsuguy for the pointers... That being said, If I re-write my post then all it should say is:

"I will make sure I have lots of dives before I go for my Rescue and DM training"

Now I know and knowing is half the battle..... G.I.JOE!

Black-Gorrilla
06-27-2008, 00:05
the 20ft for 20 minutes rule is kind of stupid IMO... because is 14' for 1 hour not a dive? what was it then? a successful attempt at not drowning?

2nd. Congrats on the Certs (you your brother and the 11boys)

i think that people (in general) that take AOW right after OW with the minimum number are kind of pushing it... I personally think that rushing is a bad idea, but if you want to... go for it and good luck.

Clanggedin
06-27-2008, 10:38
I decided to take AOW after OW so I could get more dives in with an instructor right there to help me correct errors I am making underwater.

All of my dives minus one have been with a a Dive Instructor present.

After reading the "woohoo, aow, nitrox" thread Mitsuguy posted. I will definitely slow down after Rescue. I really want to take Rescue so I can become a better buddy, but I will wait a bit longer to get DM and try and get more dives in in different conditiens/situations so I can learn.

ScottW
06-27-2008, 13:32

The 20', 20 minute 'rule' is tied to PADI (not sure about other agencies) training dives not diving in general. An training dive must be at a minimum of 15' for 20 min or 50 cf of gas.
If you dove Salem Pond for grins and giggles for 10 minutes at 14 feet..that's a dive...log it.

crgjpg
06-27-2008, 15:15
I took my AOW after 7 additional dives after OW. I don't think that AOW shows that I have a large amount of experience other than I have learned more in some areas of diving. I am going to be taking Rescue Diver next month because I want to start developing my skills of being able to help myself and others. I dont think that I will be an expert after taking the course. I eventually want to take more specialties and Dive Master. When I mentioned to the owner of LDS that I was interested in Dive Master, he practially had me becoming and instructor in the near future. I am no way wanting to do that any time soon. I want to do plenty of more diving before even looking at Dive Master. I believe that I will be able to dive more now that I am getting my own equipment.

Clanggedin
06-27-2008, 15:56

The 20', 20 minute 'rule' is tied to PADI (not sure about other agencies) training dives not diving in general. An training dive must be at a minimum of 15' for 20 min or 50 cf of gas.
If you dove Salem Pond for grins and giggles for 10 minutes at 14 feet..that's a dive...log it.

I wish my Salem Pond dive would have only been 10 minutes. I surfaced after 30 minutes with my fins covered in leeches. YUCK!