PDA

View Full Version : Advice on gear.

hawkenph
06-25-2008, 09:56
Hi all,
I am just starting to get back into diving. Since I am now living in a good place to dive and I have the time to do alot of it. I am planning to get as much extra training that I can and work my way up to Master Diver or maybe into DM with PADI. I already know what brand/ BCD I want. Which will be the Zeagle Brigade. And my reg I am looking at either the Flathead VI or the DS-V . And for my Oct. I though keeping the DS-V. Any suggestions? Also, I am not sure about gauges,etc.. I still believe in the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stupid). Sorry, I maybe old fashion. But, I did spend time in the US Army and time in the Alaskan Bush. Where I saw alot of the new computer stuff fail. Any suggestions?

thesmoothdome
06-25-2008, 10:08
Octo's are, well octos imho. As long as they'll deliver air if they're needed, they're all good to me.

As for gauges, computers are and have been safe and reliable as long as I've been diving. Of course nothing a computer does can account for user error or stupidity. Are you considering a computer or just want a set of simple gauges? You're looking at top quality gear from Zeagle, so I assume you're going to get some serious use out of it. If that's the case, you'll want to lean toward computers.

Some questions to consider:

1) Are you planning on ever trying/using nitrox?

2) Do you prefer a liberal or a conservative algorithm?

3) Do you prefer wearing you computer on your wrist or keep it on your console?

4) Is air integration a feature you'd consider?

5) How are your eyes? Do you want an easy to read simple screen with large numbers? Do you like a variety of information, albiet smaller, at one time?

hawkenph
06-25-2008, 10:18
I am hoping to give the nitrox a try. Since I have the time I am going to try just about all the courses that PADI offers. I have mixed feelings about wearing a computer on my wrist. And I have read alot of post where people suggested to wear them compared to a console. I am open to both ideas. I have good eye sight. But, again. I am not getting any younger. lol I am just looking for equipment that is versicle,etc.. I don't want to keep buying new gear when I can buy it right the first time.( I know other people would disagree because its job security for them). lol

thesmoothdome
06-25-2008, 10:29
While I'm probably in the minority, I prefer a console over a wrist mount as well. I am a fan of air integration b/c I'm a bit tech geeky and I like the all the information that I get from it and am able to download and study on my pc. There are a lot of good computers out there that'll work for you. I'm a fan of Suunto. While on the conservative end of the spectrum, I've owned 4 over the years and have never had a problem. I've also owned Oceanics, which are quite liberal and simple to operate.

Ok, so now we're a little closer. You know you'll try nitrox and you prefer a console. Do you forsee using multiple gasses on a single dive? If so, you'll need a nitrox computer that'll allow gas switching. Do you want air integration? Do you want a liberal or conservative algorithm. Folks will tell you that you can't make a conservative computer more liberal, but you can make a liberal computer more conservative. They're right. So far though, I've never had one of my dives truly affected by the conservative nature of my Suunto.

hawkenph
06-25-2008, 10:35
To be honest. I have no idea what I will be doing and taking. I want to try everything that I can. For the experience. You never know when you might need it. I believe in the saying. Better to have than not need than to need and not have. I hope this helps. Sorry, just my old military side still around me. lol

thesmoothdome
06-25-2008, 10:46
Perhaps it's time to consider price point. You could get a Open/Closed Circuit Trimix/Nitrox computer that'd do it all for $1800.00 and you'll never use most of it, but you'd have it or you can get a simple single gas nitrox computer for $200.00 or so.

hawkenph
06-25-2008, 11:00
Who makes sunnto? Just been looking at what scubatoys have. How is the Tusa SCA-343 and the Oceanic datamax Pro Plus 2?

thesmoothdome
06-25-2008, 11:10
Suunto makes Suunto. They're part of the Aqualung family. I'm not real familiar with the Tusa, so I can't comment. The Oceanic, as I mentioned before, is quite liberal. Air integration is nice. It does look like it's a single mix computer though, while the Tusa does 2 mixes.
IMHO, it's not really an issue though because if I'm going to make the jump to multiple mixes, I'm looking at buying a lot more than just a computer.

hawkenph
06-26-2008, 02:52
What do you think of the Wisdom 2? Or the Aeris Atmos AI?

mitsuguy
06-26-2008, 06:02
What do you think of the Wisdom 2? Or the Aeris Atmos AI?

same computer, different housing / name

I've been using the pelagic based computers (which includes Oceanic) since I started diving and love em... I prefer the wrist mount (it's much easier to see and more convenient to use), and my wife switched from console to wrist mount computer as well... Either way, the computers are great - they are liberal, but you can turn the conservative factor on, and you can also just use your own brains and watch the nitrogen loading bar graph...

Martin2
06-26-2008, 07:58
I also would recommend the pelagic computers. We've used them from day one and have been very pleased with them.

hawkenph
06-26-2008, 09:00
So, the Aeris Atmos AI, Tusa SCA-343 and the Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus 2 are the same computer? If so, this is going to be fun deciding which one to choose. lol

Vercingetorix
06-26-2008, 09:11
I dive with the Veo 250, which I wear on my wrist. I bought it in a console, and have since moved the Veo and console to wrist. I just didn't like stuff dangling (yes, I had it first on a retractor, then snap-clipped). The SPG hose is now snap-clipped tightly to my waist D-ring.

The Veo is downloadable, so you can maintain your dive log on your computer with the attendant data. ST price-matched, so I got it for $400.

Martin2
06-26-2008, 09:27
So, the Aeris Atmos AI, Tusa SCA-343 and the Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus 2 are the same computer? If so, this is going to be fun deciding which one to choose. lol

They may have slightly different deatures on some cases, but yes, more or less.

hawkenph
06-26-2008, 09:29
Is the Sherwood Wisdom 2 the same computer too? sorry.. I forgot to include that.....

Damselfish
06-26-2008, 09:35
As far as the wrist vs. console thing, I dive with 2 computers one wrist and one console. So I've got a choice what to look at, and I find I always look at the one on my wrist. But it's a personal preference, some people don't like things on their wrist, sometimes because they do stuff diving where it would be in the way, or whatever. Or they want air integration, but prefer the hosed type over the hoseless type. The advantage of a console computer to me is that you can't forget it, one less separate little think to keep track of. And in my case it's a handy place to store one computer.

As far as trying all the courses PADI has to offer, nothing wrong with taking courses but realize that some of the courses are not always worth your time. The AOW card is not actually advanced but useful to have, Nitrox is very useful, as is Rescue. As far as all the other specialties, realize that PADI makes money from people taking courses, that's why there's a lot of them. Sometimes it is better to just go diving, or maybe spend the money on dive gear.

PADI Master Diver it just a card saying you took a bunch of other classes and basically just another way for PADI to encourage you to take classes. Nothing wrong with getting it if you want, just realize that and that it doesn't make you a master diver in any way. PADI and a lot of shops push DM for the same reason, it makes them money but it's not a class that makes sense for everyone. If you don't actually want to work as a DM there are other classes from other agencies that will teach you more about diving. So again nothing wrong with taking DM if it's for fun but make sure you know why you're doing it. There are other agencies with other classes, for example if you have a NAUI shop their master diver is a well thought of class and teaches you much more than the PADI version. Sometimes it's described like the knowledge from a DM class without the teaching part.

cummings66
06-26-2008, 10:45
I would say that if you're going to be a DM then take everything up to the master and then move on to the pro side. I'll second Naui Master Diver as being better than any of the other agencies Master Diver programs which are mostly a way to get more money out of you. Heck, Padi sent me an email saying I should do the Master Diver program, NOT.

I prefer wrist mount, and never look at my SPG for the most part other than to unclip it and flash it at a buddy to tell him to show me his.

BSea
06-26-2008, 10:45

The TUSA SCA -343 is not air integrated like the other 2. Meaning you don't see the air pressure on the computer. You have to look at the pressure guage. But it does do 2 gases which is nice, but not necessary for sport diving.

There is an advantage to these type of computers in that they can be removed from the console & put in a wrist mount should you ever decide you want to wear it on your wrist.

If you want to cover all the bases, you might look at the Aeris Elete 3, or the Oceanic VT3 (The same computer, slightly different layout). You can start with them in a console with a standard pressure guage. Down the road if you want to change over to a wrist mount you can. Then if you want air integration, you can add a transmitter. Both these computers do gas switching for 3 different mixes, so this computer(s) give you plenty of room to grow should you want to. These computers have been around for awhile, so you shouldn't have much problem with bugs.

Is the Sherwood Wisdom 2 the same computer too? sorry.. I forgot to include that..... I was looking at the feature set of the Sherwood compared to the oceanic, and they look to be the same. All have the same info on the 1st screen during a dive. I couldn't find if they used the same algorithum for deco calculations. One way to tell is to go to the web sites & see if the manuals are basically the same.

Aeris Web Site (http://www.diveaeris.com/about.html)
Oceanic Web Site (http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/index.html)
Sherwood Web Site (http://www.sherwoodscuba.com/product.php?product_id=173)

My 1str computer was the oceanic datamax pro (1st generation). I now have the Aeris Elite. About the only problem I had from going to a console to a wrist computer was on the 2nd or 3rd dive using the wrist computer I forgot to put it on since I was used to having a console attached to the reg. Got down to about 40' looked at my wrist......OOOOPPS.:smiley5:

Happy hunting for your gear. I've always said that gear shopping is half the fun.

obrules15
06-26-2008, 10:54
I would always recommend having access to an SPG if you have an air integrated computer. I had a AI (with hose) fail and switched out so it didn't affect my dive and recently I saw diver almost have to abort his dive because his hoseless AI failed. He had a back-up computer but nothing to backup his computerized SPG.

BSea
06-26-2008, 11:25
I would always recommend having access to an SPG if you have an air integrated computer. I had a AI (with hose) fail and switched out so it didn't affect my dive and recently I saw diver almost have to abort his dive because his hoseless AI failed. He had a back-up computer but nothing to backup his computerized SPG.Good point. I should have pointed that out. I also use an spg even with the air integration. In fact, everyone I know who dive with a wireless computer uses an spg. Good backup, that you don't even know it's there unless you need it.

hawkenph
06-26-2008, 20:22
For now I prefer air integrated. Does anyone know much about Dive rite and Nitek Duo? I have been looking at most of the manufacturers and who has dealers near me.The ones that are the closest is Oceanic/Aeris and Dive rite next closest is in Manila and that is Sherwood. The others are either in China/Japan or Aus or the US.

BSea
06-26-2008, 20:36
For now I prefer air integrated. Does anyone know much about Dive rite and Nitek Duo? I have been looking at most of the manufacturers and who has dealers near me.The ones that are the closest is Oceanic/Aeris and Dive rite next closest is in Manila and that is Sherwood. The others are either in China/Japan or Aus or the US.The nitek is not air integrated, so if you want a wrist mount with air integration, you are prety much limited to the Oceanic VT3, Aeris Elite T3, and Suunto Vytek. I'm sure there might be others, but these are the ones that come to mind.

hawkenph
06-29-2008, 04:38
Hi,
I looked at both the Ares Elete 3 and the Oceanic VT3 on their website and all they show and talk about is they are wireless and nothing about mounted in a console..I have been looking at the Suunto Vyper and Zeagle N2ition. What are people's experiences,etc with these? Thanks again for your guys help.

BSea
06-29-2008, 12:20
Hi,
I looked at both the Ares Elete 3 and the Oceanic VT3 on their website and all they show and talk about is they are wireless and nothing about mounted in a console..I have been looking at the Suunto Vyper and Zeagle N2ition. What are people's experiences,etc with these? Thanks again for your guys help.You're right, I don't see an option for a console mount. That's kind of surprising since they offer it without the transmitter. I think since there is a console option for the XR2 in a console, the logic is that if you want air integration on a console computer, you'd get the Aeris Atmos AI, or the Oceanic Pro Plus 2. And if you didn't want air integration on a colsole, you'd get the Aeris XR2 or the Oceanic VEO 250. And you'd go with the VT3 or Elite if you wanted a wrist computer that was air integrated. I'm kind of surprised that they don't offer those models in a console since they don't have a console model with gas switching. Maybe the next model of colsole AI computers will have gas switching. It might be worth a call or e-mail to Joe or Larry to see what the options are.

longtailbda
06-29-2008, 12:33
I am hoping to give the nitrox a try. Since I have the time I am going to try just about all the courses that PADI offers. I have mixed feelings about wearing a computer on my wrist. And I have read alot of post where people suggested to wear them compared to a console. I am open to both ideas. I have good eye sight. But, again. I am not getting any younger. lol I am just looking for equipment that is versicle,etc.. I don't want to keep buying new gear when I can buy it right the first time.( I know other people would disagree because its job security for them). lol

I would go with a wrist mount and separate gauge console; like you i've seen and heard of to many cases of computer systems failing. I always like a backup when diving.

Martin2
06-30-2008, 10:37
You can put the VT3 on the VT Pro retractor and add a compass for more of a console type mounting. I have mine set up that way and it works well for me. Regarding the SPG, it is a preference thing. I always carry one in the reg bag but not necessarily down with me. I've never had a problems, but I like knowing the day isn't shot if there is one.

dive10killer
06-30-2008, 10:45
I have an old Oceanic Datamax Pro that I have been diving with for quit some time now. It is an AI console computer and I have never had it fail.
I would like to get a new computer, but I think I will wait until this one finally craps out. Who knows how long that will be!