PDA

View Full Version : Sharks at night!

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
06-25-2008, 13:27
Gonna be doing my first ocean night dive on July 3. It's going to be on a wreck that's been jam-packed with sharks this summer. The wreck sits upright in 80fsw (deck about 60) and I've been on it a number of times in daylight. I've seen these sharks up close before but never in the dark. The dive falls one day after the new moon so it ought to be quite dark. I'm a little bit skeered and very excited.

I have a backup light and I'm very familiar with the wreck. Any other advice?

Draq
06-25-2008, 13:50
What kind of sharks?

06-25-2008, 14:07
What kind of sharks?

Mostly sand tiger and sand bar. A friend told me he encountered a bull there, but I've never seen one myself.

FailedExistence
06-25-2008, 14:09
You said the magic word to keep my cowardly ass out of the water!

Good luck!

Rileybri
06-25-2008, 14:13
you don't have to be the fastest swimmer in your group, you just have to faster than you buddy!:smiley2:

Sasha_K
06-25-2008, 14:16
Um...don't go? :-) I wouldn't.

How often do people dive that site at night?

06-25-2008, 14:17

Every Thursday night. The boat is full on 7/3 but I have 2 spaces and I'm looking for a buddy if anyone wants to go. Boat leaves Wilmington at 6:00 pm.

mwhities
06-25-2008, 14:21
I'd say go for it, if you feel a hard thump on your side, you're dead. :)

Also, if you happen to see a shark at night either brace yourself or stab your dive buddy and swim your (__Y__) off to the boat.

Otherwise, I don't think you have much to worry about. :)

awap
06-25-2008, 14:27
Be careful with your light. If you hold it on a sharks head, they tend to turn and swim into the light. Not really a problem - just take the light off of them if it happens. And have faith.

thesmoothdome
06-25-2008, 14:51
The nice thing about night diving is if you see a shark in your light, turn it off and it goes away. :)

Just have fun. Sharks are beautiful, amazing animals.

Charles R
06-25-2008, 16:26
I did a Night Dive in Kona and saw a few sharks they were all dong their own thing and were not all that interested in use at all. Night diving with sharks is not much difference as day diving with sharks. keep your eyes open and be vigilante so you see whats all the way around you.

DaneMeyer20
06-25-2008, 18:53
Just do what this sumbytch does.....

YouTube - Joe Fish (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJKhuiW0XEg)

Truered1
06-25-2008, 21:19
I say relax and enjoy - I've seen bull sharks on two of the wrecks I have dove during the day, then when back at night. Nothing, not even the resident moray. Night dives are amazing, the only large sea life I have seen at night are turtles sleeping at the bottom and a few nurse sharks in the reef.

06-25-2008, 22:44
I've seen them plenty up close during the day. From the vids I've seen they're more active at night. It ought to be way cool! I'm excited.

Sasha_K
06-26-2008, 10:20

Every Thursday night. The boat is full on 7/3 but I have 2 spaces and I'm looking for a buddy if anyone wants to go. Boat leaves Wilmington at 6:00 pm.

We'll if that's the case, then go for it and let us know how it went!

unclepooty
06-26-2008, 11:02

That's a giggle:smiley36:

06-26-2008, 14:24

:smilie39:

DallasMarineBio
06-28-2008, 00:48
Having worked with sharks professionally for a number of years now, and been in the water in very confined spaces with large numbers of all the species you mentioned above (including bulls) I can say conclusively that they are smarter than you think, and unless you are spearfishing (or bleeding) you're fine...don't worry about them :)

severian
06-29-2008, 07:02
wow Joe, that sounds really cool. Where is this wreck? Post some pics when u get back!

The nice thing about night diving is if you see a shark in your light, turn it off and it goes away.

lol

character157
07-02-2008, 20:31
The night dive in the ocean sounds intense enough but the sharks make it a bit much for me. Maybe someday.

diver-wife
07-04-2008, 17:40

that reminded me of the Knights that say nee from montey python

That's a giggle:smiley36:

Splitlip
07-04-2008, 17:44
You said the magic word to keep my cowardly ass out of the water!

Good luck!
:smiley32:

Splitlip
07-04-2008, 17:46
The nice thing about night diving is if you see a shark in your light, turn it off and it goes away. :)

:smiley36: I have said it before. Ignorance is bliss.

07-07-2008, 14:27
Water was 78 degrees. New moon. Darker than ink. There was an unusually stiff current for that site.

Saw a bunch of sharks on the first (twilight) dive. While I was swimming down an exterior corridor I encountered a small-ish sand tiger shark (immature male, perhaps a 6 footer max) swimming down the passage toward me. This is the first time I've ever seen one inside the wreck. I stopped and it slowed down almost to a complete stop. I thought it best to let let it pass over me instead of under me, so I blew myself down. The bubbles scared the shark which turned and swam out a window. Pretty cool being face to face. I think I scared the sh*t out of him.

On the night dive, saw numerous invertibrates that hide out in the daytime, some eels and a *huge* female sand tiger (10-12 ft). I grabbed a slipper lobster but decided to grant it clemency and I let it go. Turned out my light for the trip up the line and just enjoyed the bioluminescence.

diver 85
07-07-2008, 23:39
Water was 78 degrees. New moon. Darker than ink. There was an unusually stiff current for that site.

Saw a bunch of sharks on the first (twilight) dive. While I was swimming down an exterior corridor I encountered a small-ish sand tiger shark (immature male, perhaps a 6 footer max) swimming down the passage toward me. This is the first time I've ever seen one inside the wreck. I stopped and it slowed down almost to a complete stop. I thought it best to let let it pass over me instead of under me, so I blew myself down. The bubbles scared the shark which turned and swam out a window. Pretty cool being face to face. I think I scared the sh*t out of him.

On the night dive, saw numerous invertibrates that hide out in the daytime, some eels and a *huge* female sand tiger (10-12 ft). I grabbed a slipper lobster but decided to grant it clemency and I let it go. Turned out my light for the trip up the line and just enjoyed the bioluminescence.

nice report, isn't nite diving fun???.........Spooky Channel in front of BIBR on Roatan's my favorite nite dive.....

beanbag33
07-25-2008, 21:40
I would be excited to night dive with the possibility of seeing a shark, I love sharks i think they are misunderstood creatures. I'm going on my first shark dive Aug 23rd and i'm so excited. I hope you had a great night dive.
Christine from Queens, NY:smiley20:

Splitlip
07-25-2008, 22:39
I would be excited to night dive with the possibility of seeing a shark, I love sharks i think they are misunderstood creatures. I'm going on my first shark dive Aug 23rd and i'm so excited. I hope you had a great night dive.
Christine from Queens, NY:smiley20:

Hi Christine from Queens, NY. I am Tim (formerly) from Queens, NY.
Welcome to this forum. Hopefully you will get to meet Compudude from California and mm2002 from Rockaway Beach. (no, it is some other Rockaway Beach from some far away Western land. You saw the Wizard of Oz. Well, mm2002 is the man behind the curtain. :))

Where are you doing your shark dive?

digitalman
07-25-2008, 22:50

Sounds like you had a good dive. Not sure I'd have done it, but congrats. Did you get any pics?

ertechsg
07-25-2008, 23:33
I say go for it. Whats the worst that could happen :smiley2:

kmac
08-02-2008, 11:15
What is the name of the wreck??

FailedExistence
08-02-2008, 13:26
Sounds like a very cool dive / experience. I have yet to do a night dive ... every time we plan one something happens to cause us to have to cancel it.

Rocky Heap
08-22-2008, 14:39
Yup, night dive in Fiji, Beqa Lagoon..........8-10 foot reef shark circling us.......turn off the light canon and DS-125 strobe and yup, the shark goes away, no seem-ums don't bother me........my wife though got spooked, got him on video too!

08-22-2008, 18:40
What is the name of the wreck??

Sorry. Missed your question. It was the Hyde.