PDA

View Full Version : hubby inhaled a piece of shale from his regulator

jimmysdevoted
06-25-2008, 23:43
we were at the lake and theer si alot of shale. My hubby inhaled a smallpiece of shale from his regulator. No one can find it, though it feels to him like its still there...
anyone elese ever get grit and stuff in teh regulator and inhale or it feels like you inhaled something?
j

bubbletrubble
06-25-2008, 23:53
Sand and grit can work its way into your second stage via the exhaust port. If he's really concerned about it, he should have a reg technician open it up and take a peek inside.
What makes him suspect that the small piece of shale is still lodged inside? Does he hear something rattling around in there? Or is the reg harder to breathe off of?

Black-Gorrilla
06-26-2008, 00:07
take it to a tech... let them take the second stage apart and look for it. or do you mean "he inhaled a piece of shale... it feels to him like it's still there" like in his lung?
what is shale anyway?

matt151617
06-26-2008, 00:41
Shale is a rock.

I've gotten plenty of sand in my mouth before from it being on the reg mouthpiece. Good 'ol crunchiness when you take the 3 test breaths.

Lone Frogman
06-26-2008, 03:37
No, I clean my gear after my dives.

CompuDude
06-26-2008, 13:04
Soak it (the second stage) overnight, shake it vigorously underwater the next day to see if you can dislodge the stuff. Ideally, while hooked up to a tank and pressurized, but if not that's ok too. If it's clear, you're all set, if not, you may need to get reg serviced.

cudachaser
06-26-2008, 13:10
I heard a story about a guy that inhaled a scorpion...I always tell my students to hit the purge button before sticking the regs in their mouths and inhaling

MSilvia
06-26-2008, 13:22
I hope your husband's okay, and that the shale works it's way out without doing any damage. (Shale's like slate, but more brittle. The edges can be sharp.)

That said, it's a good opportunity to learn a valuable lesson about not letting your regs drag around where they can get debris in them. Keep them off the ground, keep them off the bottom, keep them secured. "Stuff" should never have an opportunity to get in there in the first place, but just in case "stuff" is a scorpion or other critter, purging before breathing might be a good idea.

matt151617
06-26-2008, 22:00
I heard a story about a guy that inhaled a scorpion...I always tell my students to hit the purge button before sticking the regs in their mouths and inhaling

That's what I was taught. Even just to blow out sand or gunk.

scubasamurai
06-26-2008, 22:09
well us padi morons , we are taught to exhale before breathing in our regs during our pre dive check, or just use the purge button to clear anything that has taken residence in our regs.

how your hubby is ok.

cummings66
06-27-2008, 07:19
The interesting thing about the reg tests we do is that there are ways to do it faster and ways to do it slower. For example, do you inhale with the cylinder turned off? It should be part of your testing, as much a part as seeing if it delivers air.

Rockhound76
06-27-2008, 07:43
The interesting thing about the reg tests we do is that there are ways to do it faster and ways to do it slower. For example, do you inhale with the cylinder turned off? It should be part of your testing, as much a part as seeing if it delivers air.

I do that regularly. The one time I forgot, maybe 15yrs ago, I discovered I had a split in my exhaust valve while about 50' down. It suddenly opened up a flood. I picked up my alternate air and got water from it, as well (I wear my left shoulder, no exhaust tee so it would clear my mask. The impact from a high entry folded that one over.)

Lesson learned. I test the regs with the air off, then on. I also now wear an ambidextrous alternate air reg.

MConnelly2
06-28-2008, 19:49
You know, the guy I learned to dive from was emphatic about always doing that (testing regs with air off). Not really a resort, look at the pretty fishies kind of diver, but a cold water, no visibility, New England diver. Brought an old Poseidon Cyklon in to him the other day to take a look at, I'd gone over the second stage and thought it had a small leak in the diaphragm (he's a Poseidon dealer). Turns out the diaphragm was torn halfway around and probably would have flooded with every breath. Breathed fine in dry air hooked up to a tank. I think that made his point better than anything he brought up in the class.

jimmysdevoted
06-29-2008, 00:17
we went up to Cherokee lake and teh water was just chock full of it.
yes he felt like it was lodged in teh abck of his throat on his uvula.
his regulator he took apart and cleaned.

But he was curious if anyone else had ever had experience with inhaling something that wasnt there or couldne be found before..
julie

rumblefish
06-29-2008, 04:03
It may be that he scratched his throat and that irritation is being caused by the slight swelling that may have occurred. Maybe he should see an ENT to make sure everything is ok.

Black-Gorrilla
06-29-2008, 07:19
It may be that he scratched his throat and that irritation is being caused by the slight swelling that may have occurred. Maybe he should see an ENT to make sure everything is ok.

i was thinking that too. it might have just being very tiny but sharp, and simply scratch his throat. same thing happened to my mother with an anchovy tiny bone once

Rileybri
06-29-2008, 08:10
At first I thought you were referring to a piece of shale in his reg. If he did indeed inhale a piece of shale (see small razor blade) in to any part of his air way you should insist that he get it checked out. Even a small piece of rock can cause a great deal of damage. Not only does the object run the risk of slicing his esophagus up but also the sensitive tissues deeper in his lungs. Last thing you want is for this to turn into a case of edema or worse! Get into see an ENT asap it just ain't worth messing around with!! good lick.

cheers,

Brian D.