PDA

View Full Version : Im scared to use my gear. (Athens)

Ryanh1801
06-26-2008, 11:33
Heading to Athens this weekend to make a few dives, our last dive part of my Master Diver Class got stormed out so I have to make it up. Problem is I have seen people who have had shirts get holes all in them from diving there, also heard stories of Bleaching effect on gear. I really don't like using rented gear, (Main reason I got my stuff so fast), but at the same time I don't want to shorten the life of my personal stuff. So what would you do? Have you dove out there with your own stuff and had any issues?

<< Is not happy Im having to dive out their.:smiley11: I would rather be out at the lake doing some real diving.

Bigg_Budd
06-26-2008, 11:43
I've noticed some bleaching. I've also dove with a girl whose hair turned blue. See my previous posts on the subject: http://forum.scubatoys.com/162230-post15.html

I don't dive there anymore...

cummings66
06-26-2008, 11:45
Chlorine is hard on gear but you have to have many many dives in it. For a couple I wouldn't worry about it.

Did you know some regulator makers like Poseidon will not do warranty repair work for regs used in pools, at least the paper I saw on one said that.

Ryanh1801
06-26-2008, 11:51
I've noticed some bleaching. I've also dove with a girl whose hair turned blue. See my previous posts on the subject: http://forum.scubatoys.com/162230-post15.html

I wish I had that option.

Ryanh1801
06-26-2008, 11:52
Chlorine is hard on gear but you have to have many many dives in it. For a couple I wouldn't worry about it.

Did you know some regulator makers like Poseidon will not do warranty repair work for regs used in pools, at least the paper I saw on one said that.

I have used my gear in the pool for the last year, and not had any issues, but I have heard he uses some other stuff to keep the pound clear.

Bigg_Budd
06-26-2008, 11:52
Have you dove Athens cummings66? It's not chlorine, my friend. I heard it was copper...

All I know is her hair was blue, my gear was bleached, and I don't dive there anymore...

Bigg_Budd
06-26-2008, 11:53

CSSP?

Ryanh1801
06-26-2008, 11:58

CSSP?

This is my only option this summer, and im wanting to start some other classes, so I need to get this done. Its stupid cause all im missing is this one dive, I have all the others done, and the written test.

waytooslow
06-26-2008, 12:09
Have you dove Athens cummings66? It's not chlorine, my friend. I heard it was copper...

All I know is her hair was blue, my gear was bleached, and I don't dive there anymore...

ahhh Cooper Sulfite.. like a big aquarium - fungicide - pestacide - not sure what the owner is trying to accomplish with using it, it can controls some algaes, but it does not require high levels, actually it can kill fish off.

CuSO4 - used in dyes as well -

if I was so inclinded to dive there - not

I might be tempted to run a test on the water.

TRACI
06-26-2008, 12:14
Our group have made several dives in Athens with all of our own gear and have never had any problems. They have facilities to clean up your gear and also showers for hair.

ertechsg
06-26-2008, 12:25
The toxic-waste in Athens isn't that badjust keep your reg in at ALL times. When you are done you'll see why most never go back. But do what ya gotta do. GOOD LUCK!

Vercingetorix
06-26-2008, 12:31
The ScubaDillos are diving at Athens on Saturday. I've been there several times without a problem. I rinse my gear immediately. For a dive, you won't have any problems. They even have a rinse station there if you're REALLY paranoid about it. Only bad thing about Athens is no life: no fish, no plants.

As Budd asked, why do you need to dive Athens? Why not CSSP?

After your dive(s), come join the 'Dillos. Ask for rick

cummings66
06-26-2008, 13:16

Nope, but to be honest I don't think copper could come out of solution without some other reagent to cause it. Hair often contains chemicals due to bleaching and/or other tricks the women use. I could see a hair color change happening. Scuba Gear I don't think would suffer if it was copper in solution, but I'd be curious as to how that happened. Ie the history behind that problem.

Reading the thread leads me to think the owner is treating the water. I don't think it'd be bad. However, what's wrong with the quarry and why don't people go back?

waytooslow
06-26-2008, 13:32
The ScubaDillos .....you're REALLY paranoid about it. Only bad thing about Athens is not life: no fish, no plants.

As Budd asked, why do you need to dive Athens? Why not CSSP?

After your dive(s), come join the 'Dillos. Ask for rick

wow, now that is water I don't want to be in. Dyes your hair, bleaches your equipment, does not support any life ............think I will pass on that.... :smiley13:

Largo
06-26-2008, 14:20
Ryan,
Hi. What about borrowing some gear from your shop's rental fleet?

MSilvia
06-26-2008, 14:57
I'd borrow gear if I had to dive that... why take a chance with your good stuff?

TRACI
06-26-2008, 16:06
Athens is not as bad as it sounds, I still think I would take my chances diving there then I would diving in of the lakes that are in East Texas, such as Lake o the Pines or Caddo Lake.

Ryanh1801
06-26-2008, 16:10
Ryan,

I really just don't trust rental gear, that I have no Idea how someone else treated it. But, I guess in 20 feet of water worse comes to worse its easy enough to swim up.

Bigg_Budd
06-26-2008, 16:10
actually it can kill fish off

Fish? I've never seen a fish there. I've seen a turtle.

One. Lonely. Turtle....

To Traci's point, not everyone that dives Athens walks out looking like Blue Man Group, and not everyone's gear falls apart. Maybe I was there on a bad day.

Ryanh1801
06-26-2008, 16:12
actually it can kill fish off

Fish? I've never seen a fish there. I've seen a turtle.

One. Lonely. Turtle....

To Traci's point, not everyone that dives Athens walks out looking like Blue Man Group, and not everyone's gear falls apart. Maybe I was there on a bad day.

I wonder how long that Turtle survived?:smiley36:

Bigg_Budd
06-26-2008, 16:13
I'll never know...

Ryanh1801
06-26-2008, 16:16
Ill have to practice some S&R and go looking for him. :)

ertechsg
06-26-2008, 16:20
Come on Budd you and I know thats where to go and get tires for our truck.:smiley36:

percussionist1
06-26-2008, 16:40
My wife and I did our check out dives in Athens in early April. We were using rental gear, but we didn't any issues at all. And my wife's hair did not turn any weird color (which we heard a lot about prior to going).

That said, we probably won't be back unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. There is not a bit of life in the water (because of the chemicals they put in it). And if you so much as tap the bottom with your fin, you will create a mushroom cloud of sediment! And that is not pleasant, believe me. Also, if you do touch the bottom, your visibility will be ruined for the rest of the day (not that the visibility is great anyway).

Good Luck!

Vercingetorix
06-26-2008, 17:06
That said, we probably won't be back unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. There is not a bit of life in the water (because of the chemicals they put in it). And if you so much as tap the bottom with your fin, you will create a mushroom cloud of sediment! And that is not pleasant, believe me. Also, if you do touch the bottom, your visibility will be ruined for the rest of the day (not that the visibility is great anyway).When the ScubaDillos did our Easter Egg hunt in the lake, we stirred-up the silt so badly that I could not read my gauge 3 inches from my face. Oh yeah...great viz...

Largo
06-26-2008, 17:07
Ryan,

I really just don't trust rental gear, that I have no Idea how someone else treated it. But, I guess in 20 feet of water worse comes to worse its easy enough to swim up.

Most of the shops I've dived with replace their gear after one or two seasons, and they should maintain it, given the legal liability if their rental gear should fail.

Maybe Scuba Toys would rent you a set?

Splitlip
06-26-2008, 18:02
Sorry, as I am unfamiliar. Isn't this a lake? Doesn't whatever they put in the water kill plant and animal life?

Bigg_Budd
06-26-2008, 19:25
It's an old quarry. And yes, it kills everything.

Very scenic...

Splitlip
06-26-2008, 19:44
Sad..

cummings66
06-27-2008, 12:46
I don't think it's sad. Quarries until they get stocked don't contain fish or other wildlife. Plants are all algae and you won't find any exotic anything. To keep them clean of algae many owners nuke them with chemicals. Normally not enough to turn your hair blue, but...

Splitlip
06-27-2008, 16:40
I don't think it's sad. Quarries until they get stocked don't contain fish or other wildlife. Plants are all algae and you won't find any exotic anything. To keep them clean of algae many owners nuke them with chemicals. Normally not enough to turn your hair blue, but...

Well, I honestly don't know it works in the rest of the world, but I have built a number of Florida lakes (wet retention areas) and nature finds a way to stock them. I assume wind and water fowl carry in seeds and eggs.

Geoff_T
06-28-2008, 12:52
could be copper could be useing any number of other things if he is shocking it himself. What kind of quarry was it. The bleaching/ disolving of clothing/killing of life reminds me of another substance I worked with in construction that is quicklime. Nasty nasty stuff it would also form a sediment layer either from use over time or if it was alerdy there to begin with.