PDA

View Full Version : Wetsuits

Blaze
06-26-2008, 23:00
Okay, so I know I am not the pretty skinny petite blond soaking up the sun on the beach or any of the Bond girls. Therefore it seems to be a bit difficult to locate a good wetsuit for a big girl. I can't believe I am the only one out here, so I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good wetsuit for a big girl?

ScubaToys Larry
06-26-2008, 23:10
Have you stopped by our shop?? We stock guy sizes up through XXXXL andhave multiple womens sizes in 18+ and with some of the stretch materials out there - they will go much larger. And if we don't have something that fits right - we can also custom order.

violakat03
06-27-2008, 01:04
Being a plus size as well (though I have dropped from a 22 to an 18 in the last 10 months, woo!!), I always get frustrated that the less expensive suits never fit me. Very few manufacturers make larger women's sizes and because of my chest, very few men's suits will fit me without gaping horribly at the neck. I was lucky to find a Deep See 3mm women's suit (I think it claims size 15-16 but fits me perfect) that fit and had a velcro neck for under $100, but I have yet to find a single 2 piece 7mm that fits me unless I go for the Henderson Hyperstretch (a.k.a. $$$$$$$!)

ClaireOKC
06-27-2008, 04:00
I'm not large, but I do have larger lower than top (why is it we always gain weight were we don't want it and loose it where we do) Anyway, I have a Pinnacle elastiprene, and it does very very well for me - I have to get it so it fits my upper body, and it is "snug" around my hips, but it does the job, which is to keep a small amount of water around my bod to keep me warm - hope this helps. Claire

Foo2
06-27-2008, 13:40
Liv7301 had a custom suit made and still needed a few adjustments...she sent hers to Welcome to Terrapin Wet Suits (http://www.terrapinwetsuits.com/) and it now fits her like a glove. She has a full report somewhere here on the site. I'll find it and add it into this post soon.

Here it is:
http://forum.scubatoys.com/wetsuits/9848-found-great-custom-alterations-wetsuit-shop.html

Martin2
06-28-2008, 17:34
I like my Henderson Thermoprene. ST has the 2007 on sale and it has been plenty stretchy to fit well everywhere. Seems to run large though, so if you try it out order a size smaller than what you would normally.

Panchita
06-28-2008, 17:41
I just used my new henderson thermoprene for the first time and I'm delighted with it - I'm not petite either by the way and I've got a hard to fit body - long legs and arms, short body. I got the 3mm and I'd even go so far as to say they run a little larger than the size chart implies. I thought I'd need a 14, I got a 12, and I probably could have worn a 10. The best part is that they're on sale right now - I'm considering buying a spare because I liked them so much...:smiley2:

Blaze
06-28-2008, 21:06
Thank you ladies very much for the insight! I will have to check them out and let you know.

obrules15
06-28-2008, 21:40
Okay, so I know I am not the pretty skinny petite blond soaking up the sun on the beach or any of the Bond girls. Therefore it seems to be a bit difficult to locate a good wetsuit for a big girl. I can't believe I am the only one out here, so I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good wetsuit for a big girl?

Don't worry there are many more fluffy female divers than wetsuit manufacturers want to admit. I dive a Henderson Hyperstretch which allows for many a difficult fit issue.

jimmysdevoted
06-29-2008, 00:28
I got my bare mens attack on ebay and I LOVE IT!

I found that BARE for this plus size works very well.
I am 5'5" and weigh at any given time between 205 and 230....
depends on where the scale is placed. But I wear between a size 14W and 16W

My BARE Attack Shorty fits perfect and the new one the 14+ fits just like the size chart says!!
And if you want a skin Divegoddess has the most pretty suits in plus too.......
julie