PDA

View Full Version : Swim cap and long hair

violakat03
06-27-2008, 00:08
I tried using a latex swim cap from Speedo during my last pool dive in advanced class and hated it! My hair got all tangled up in it and then there was so much of it crammed up under there (I have just above waist length hair) that I couldn't get my strap to stay in a comfortable position.

Another girl (with much shorter hair than me, but still fairly long) recommended getting a swim cap made for long hair, as they have extra room in the back for tucking it all into. But how do I get my hair to stay neatly in it without getting tangled up and pulling on it? Or should I try another method all together? I liked that my mask wasn't getting caught in it, but I need a better solution!

CompuDude
06-27-2008, 00:10
French braid?

violakat03
06-27-2008, 00:11
French braid?

That's what I've been doing, but after a while it starts to slide out. Bobby pins can only do so much.

CompuDude
06-27-2008, 01:43
Swim cap over the french braid?

There is a local instructor who has a THICK french braid that reaches down to her waist. She zips the braid inside her wetsuit, and puts a hood over the whole thing to keep everything in place. (cold water here, so hoods are normal) Ends up with a monster bump on her hood that looks pretty bizarre, but it seems to work.

ClaireOKC
06-27-2008, 03:24
Love the creative suggestions on this thread - on my site (http://cwuap.com/scubacap.htm) I have a scuba cap you can make....it ties in back, but you could easily do elastic and make it so that your hair is doubled up ponytail style - if that makes sense. I don't have hair nearly as long as yours however, as short as it is, it always ends up in my way, and love wearing these caps....I make them out of Laurel Burch's Ocean Song (http://laurelburch.com/Flash/oceansongs.html) fabrics - mostly at quilt shops, and they're fun. Hope this helps - Claire

I tried using a latex swim cap from Speedo during my last pool dive in advanced class and hated it! My hair got all tangled up in it and then there was so much of it crammed up under there (I have just above waist length hair) that I couldn't get my strap to stay in a comfortable position.

Another girl (with much shorter hair than me, but still fairly long) recommended getting a swim cap made for long hair, as they have extra room in the back for tucking it all into. But how do I get my hair to stay neatly in it without getting tangled up and pulling on it? Or should I try another method all together? I liked that my mask wasn't getting caught in it, but I need a better solution!

jimmysdevoted
06-29-2008, 10:08
how about a simple braid and wear a neoprenne baseball cap helps too......

I ahae long curly hair and islick it back with waterproof gel and then slide it through teh back of the cap and then between the opening in the back of my mask strap. ON the slap strap i made a button hole to pull it through.

Bedhead glue works well to keep everything in place with no pins!
julie