PDA

View Full Version : Burger Joints

georoc01
08-08-2007, 14:27
I saw this over on Yahoo.

What place in your area serves the best burger?

Here in Denver, I vote for City Grille here downtown

The best chain IMHO is In and Out. Whenever I visit California or Nevada, always have to stop in for one.

torrey
08-08-2007, 14:34
If my wife and I are ever craving a burger, we typically go to a local place called Snuffer's...sometimes Scotty P's since it's closer and she really likes their salads too. I'm curious what other Dallas-area residents will come up with.

thor
08-08-2007, 14:36
Best Burgers:

Atlanta: Highland Tap
NYC: A place called Jackson Hole, but also Brooklyn Diner near Columbus Circle
Ironically, Jackson Hole, Wyoming has the best burgers in the world:
Billy's Burgers

ocean_dreamer
08-08-2007, 14:40
If my wife and I are ever craving a burger, we typically go to a local place called Snuffer's...sometimes Scotty P's since it's closer and she really likes their salads too. I'm curious what other Dallas-area residents will come up with.

Is Scotty P's reasonably priced? I work in Plano and have wanted to try it out for lunch.
Jake's on Parker has really good burgers.

thesmoothdome
08-08-2007, 14:42
In-N-Out for fast food burgers.

Islands for more a sit down.

georoc01
08-08-2007, 14:54
The Yahoo site listed Burger House in Dallas

TxHockeyGuy
08-08-2007, 15:06

Depends which one. There are good and horrible Burger House's here in Dallas, they are a chain. I've always liked Fuddruckers, doesn't much seem to matter which one I go into, they are always good.

J-Cub
08-08-2007, 15:14
In and Out and over-rated. I think they are just a step above McD's or Jack in the Box.

My favorite fast-food is either Carls Jr or Burger King's Whopper (I like flame-broiled).

My favorite restaurant style is either Red Robin, Islands, or Outback.

And if you ever get a chance to eat a "hawaiian" style burger (pineapple on it) try it... it is my favorite.

Black-Gorrilla
08-08-2007, 15:16
In-N-Out for fast food burgers.

Islands for more a sit down.

BLEH... in n out sucks IMO

thor
08-08-2007, 15:19
Now now Gorrilla, if you don't have anything nice to say...... even if you have to post 150 more posts before the day is over.

Black-Gorrilla
08-08-2007, 15:42
Now now Gorrilla, if you don't have anything nice to say...... even if you have to post 150 more posts before the day is over.

i thought this was a discussion? im just voicing my opinion...
i ate at In-n-out once in callifornia about 2-3 years ago.... there was a roach running around the place like it's all good.... to me... that's a no-no.
other than that... im sure in n out is fine... but i dont share food with roaches.

Black-Gorrilla
08-08-2007, 15:45
i've heard of really expensive Kobe Beef burgers...stuffed, with truffles and blue cheese... like 300 bux? what the hell is wrong with people?

the best burgers are places like Fuddruckers, which makes their own burgers and buns... I LOVE THAT PLACE!!! it is a bit of a sit down place, not fast food.
for fast food... double-whopper with cheese @ midnight or later hits the spot!

Vercingetorix
08-08-2007, 15:48
I've always liked Fuddruckers, doesn't much seem to matter which one I go into, they are always good.+1 vote for Fuddruckers

i ate at In-n-out once in callifornia about 2-3 years ago.... there was a roach running around the place like it's all good.... to me... that's a no-no.
Mmmmmm...roaches...

Harshal
08-08-2007, 15:52

Depends which one. There are good and horrible Burger House's here in Dallas, they are a chain. I've always liked Fuddruckers, doesn't much seem to matter which one I go into, they are always good.

I would vote in for Fuddrukers too.......

Liv7301
08-08-2007, 15:56
I am a fan of Fuddruckers as well.

One place here in Dallas that is supposed to have very highly rated burgers is the Hole in the Wall, which is a blues joint owned by ScubaToys instructor Tom. Haven't been yet but have been really wanting to try it out.

MEL-DC Diver
08-08-2007, 15:56
Five Guys in Northern VA.

bullshark
08-08-2007, 16:09

yeah we got then up here and I second that. that place is awsome

torrey
08-08-2007, 16:33
Is Scotty P's reasonably priced? I work in Plano and have wanted to try it out for lunch.
Jake's on Parker has really good burgers.

That Plano location is a few roads south of my house. I really hadn't ever paid attention to the prices much. You'll pay more than McD's for sure. I want to say a burger is probably $5 or so without fries. I tried to look up the prices on their menu, but apparently they don't list them.

http://www.scottyps.com/WebSite/Default.aspx

torrey
08-08-2007, 16:36
I would have said Purdy's on Belt Line Rd. in Addison, but a couple of years ago or so they changed management and switched everything up. They had the best home-made buns. I don't understand why people want to mess with a good thing.

ertechsg
08-08-2007, 16:39
kellers

thor
08-08-2007, 16:40

MMMm Attmans Deli in Baltimore, better than burgers

dallasdivergirl
08-08-2007, 17:05
The Hole in the Wall in Dallas....the grease soaks thru the brown paper bag before you get it to the table. mmmm...grease. I loved it before Tom was my instructor.

Snuffers but not the Southlake location, they have horrible service.

Fred's in Fort Worth.

Billy Burger's in Jackson Hole.

Herd's in Jacksboro, TX

WaterRat
08-08-2007, 17:19
John G's off Greenville and 635. "Mmmm, now that's a tastey burger"

Ron

ertechsg
08-08-2007, 17:39
John G's off Greenville and 635. "Mmmm, now that's a tastey burger"

RonJAY G'S GREENVILLE/MARKVILLE

3rdEye
08-08-2007, 17:58
I have to get to one of these In and Out burgers....

round here, 5 guys is a good chain place.....just burgers, boardwalk style fries and shakes.....keep it simple.

NitroWill
08-08-2007, 18:53
Fuddrucker's One pound Southwest (Guacamole, Bacon, & Perpperjack Cheese) with an order of fries (with their hot jalapeno cheese) is the way to go! :)

diversteve
08-08-2007, 19:05
In Phoenix it's deluxburger (http://www.deluxburger.com/).

MxDiver
08-08-2007, 19:09
In Guadlajara "La Squina"

bullshark
08-08-2007, 19:48
Two local burger joints here are Greenmount Station and Padonia Station. both have great burgers

this thing is awsome

The Artie Donovan Burger 15.99 A triple decker challenge! Made famous by the Baltimore Colts legend himself. Three 8oz. provolone cheeseburgers sandwiched between white toast with lettuce, tomato and red onion. Served on a platter with onion rings, Station Fries, cole slaw and pickle spears. If you can finish this 24oz. monster, we’ll add your picture to the Hall Of Fame on our website

thesmoothdome
08-08-2007, 19:55
How about White Castle? I remember growing up there was only 1 within an hour of our house and it was open 24 hours a day. Somehow, we'd end up there late Friday or Saturday nights, scarfing down 39 cent burgers by the dozen. MMMMMM....

georoc01
08-08-2007, 20:05

We'll start a favorite deli thread next :)

3rdEye
08-08-2007, 20:07
Two local burger joints here are Greenmount Station and Padonia Station. both have great burgers

this thing is awsome

The Artie Donovan Burger 15.99 A triple decker challenge! Made famous by the Baltimore Colts legend himself. Three 8oz. provolone cheeseburgers sandwiched between white toast with lettuce, tomato and red onion. Served on a platter with onion rings, Station Fries, cole slaw and pickle spears. If you can finish this 24oz. monster, we’ll add your picture to the Hall Of Fame on our website

thats nothin.....

i need to go to this place:

http://www.dennysbeerbarrelpub.com/

3lb burger free if you eat it in 1 1/2 hr

6lb burger, free if you eat it in 3 hrs

they also make 50lb and 100lb burgers....

ertechsg
08-08-2007, 20:48
Next ? is whats you cholesterol.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-08-2007, 20:49
I saw this over on Yahoo.

What place in your area serves the best burger?

Here in Denver, I vote for City Grille here downtown

The best chain IMHO is In and Out. Whenever I visit California or Nevada, always have to stop in for one.

Any burger tastes great when your drunk, i eat wendys alot but pub burgers are alot better.

fire diver
08-08-2007, 21:17
Man, why did I read this whole thread? I am starving right now! I hate dieting.

Best burger here in my town of Enid, OK is from a grocery deli called Jumbos.

Best in Austin, Tx was at Icehouse.

Man I could go for a bacon cheeseburger with mushrooms and avacado.

FD :smiley11:

MEL-DC Diver
08-08-2007, 21:22

Oh, yeah. Now you are talking! That's good stuff.

cummings66
08-08-2007, 22:53
roach running around the place like it's all good.... to me...

I'm sure there's worse things than that in or on our food. You ever skin an animal and see what's living inside them? How about all the people that handle the meet before you do. Or best yet, do you know what type of meat ends up in most hamburger? It's certainly not rib eye steak ground up into hamburger, that's for sure.

I've seen stores take meat that can't be sold and grind it up, add some water and food coloring and presto, nice looking hamburger.

MxDiver
08-08-2007, 22:58
How about White Castle? I remember growing up there was only 1 within an hour of our house and it was open 24 hours a day. Somehow, we'd end up there late Friday or Saturday nights, scarfing down 39 cent burgers by the dozen. MMMMMM....

That brings back memories from high school, back then I was living near Chicago, Aurora to be more specific, can you say military academy.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-08-2007, 23:01
Harold and kumor go to white castle was a good movie, when dougie howzer stole his car.

Black-Gorrilla
08-08-2007, 23:08
i've had white castle once in my life.. in chi-town with a few of my buddies... i ate like 32-35 sliders, chicken rings, fries, huge cups of grape soda.... SUCH A WONDERFUL DAY!!!
this was a few years ago... im still having withdraw symptoms

Black-Gorrilla
08-08-2007, 23:10
I've seen stores take meat that can't be sold and grind it up, add some water and food coloring and presto, nice looking hamburger.

other than places like fudruckers... thats what a hamburger is...
trim meat (good meat, from various cuts, but the leftovers) and Fat... (about 20%) and it's a burger...
but there is the exeption... we made ribeye/filet mignon burgers at home once.!!! SO GOOD!!! (but expensive)

MxDiver
08-08-2007, 23:17
Angus beef burgers, my wife loves it when I cook them

brandon
08-08-2007, 23:25
Only one real choice here - the Unisea Sports Bar. Occasionally I call and order a double bacon cheese burger to-go while rinsing my dive gear. Once I have the gear put away, I stop by and pick it up on my way home.

Perfect way to end a day of diving!

torrey
08-09-2007, 06:57
Has anybody ever been to The Heart Attack Grill (http://www.heartattackgrill.com/)? I've been wanting to try it out. I hear they have, um...good burgers.

deepdiver47
08-09-2007, 07:07
I would vote in for Fuddrukers too.......[/quote]

Good, but pricey. It only makes sense to order the plain burger and then head to the fixin bar

Disneymom
08-09-2007, 10:23
I think Fuddrucker's is our best 'quality' burger place here. And Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler. Love the Fudd's southwest w/ guac and bacon. We used to have a place called Burger Street that served up incredibly greasy burgers... that were really good. OK, now I'm hungry.

tbush
08-09-2007, 10:50
When I want a real good greasy burger in Dallas only Club Schmits will do.

Foo2
08-09-2007, 12:05
Man, why did I read this whole thread? I am starving right now! I hate dieting.

Best burger here in my town of Enid, OK is from a grocery deli called Jumbos.

Best in Austin, Tx was at Icehouse.

Man I could go for a bacon cheeseburger with mushrooms and avacado.

FD :smiley11:

:smilie39:I've been putting myself through the same trauma you have! I was just wondering why I was reading this too when I read your post! :smilie39:

Dabaras
08-09-2007, 23:25
JG's in Dallas, just south of 635 on Greenville is very good. Scotty P's beats Snuffers hands down though. Cardiac fries are incredible.

loudgonzo
08-10-2007, 07:54
Good place for a greasy burger and beer with the guys:
Kellers or Jakes at Skillman and N.W. Highway

Lunch with wife:
Purdy's at Cambell & Plano Rd.

Dinner with wife and other friends:
Fuddruckers

Venio
08-10-2007, 21:54
I'll vote for The Plano Tavern (http://www.planotavern.com/menu.html), awesome cheddar burgers! And one can never be wrong with a pounder from Fuddrukers!!!:icondrool:

torrey
08-10-2007, 22:29
Good place for a greasy burger and beer with the guys:
Kellers or Jakes at Skillman and N.W. Highway

Ironically enough, I saw Jakes today for the first time. I never hang out south of 635, but we took my brother-in-law to the oyster bar near there for his birthday.

I'll vote for The Plano Tavern (http://www.planotavern.com/menu.html), awesome cheddar burgers!

I forgot about that place...I love their bbq bacon cheddar burger. That dr. pepper bbq sauce is awesome.

Jumpinjax
08-11-2007, 07:20
Well in the Dallas area Burger favorites include:

Jack's Burger House, the original Burger House on Hillcrest.

Goff's, Food is still the same but since Harvey Goff sold the place, not the same without his witty replies. Number 12 with Crispy fries, and you use to have to ask for ice on Sunday.

Keller's, no. 5, like the ones on Harry Hines and Loop 12 the best.

Prince Hamburger House.

Chip's Hamburgers, there is on off the Tollway road and Lovers.

Snuffer's, mostly for the chilli cheese fries that go with the burger.

IN The Houston are, not alot found so far.

There is PRIME, good burgers, but heck, for burger, fries and a coke we are talking $16.

the gooch
08-11-2007, 07:46
Fan of Fuddruckers here for that burger craving, which is like twice a year.

Venio
08-11-2007, 13:31
Did you guys knew that Athens, TX is the place it all began....

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=80R&Bill=HCR15

loudgonzo
08-11-2007, 13:52
Just had a somewhat good burger at Mooyah Burger & fries close to the tollway and Hebron Pkwy, down the street from the shops at Willow Bend. It's a new place that opened a few months ago, I'd never heard of it and just tried it today. Not the best I've had, but it beats any fast food joint...their patties aren't frozen...so the sign says.

ReefHound
08-11-2007, 17:28
I had a great bacon cheesburger earlier today at Sally's in Ponce de Leon. Especially tasty coming out of two great dives in gin clear 68 degree spring water.

For fast food, Sonic makes pretty good burgers, especially the jalapeno burger.

In Houston, I always liked Cliff's, been awhile since I've been there.

The all time best burger place though is my backyard, nothing like cooking your own big FAT burgers over a mesquite flame and fixin' it up so high you hurt your jaw opening your mouth to take a bite. Usually accompanied by ice cold beer, all at an economical price.

Warning, never eat White Castle's while sober.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-11-2007, 17:47
i gotta stop eating burgers and get back on health food again.

Jumpinjax
08-11-2007, 22:00
Been looking for a good burger place down here. Thanks

I had a great bacon cheesburger earlier today at Sally's in Ponce de Leon. Especially tasty coming out of two great dives in gin clear 68 degree spring water.

For fast food, Sonic makes pretty good burgers, especially the jalapeno burger.

In Houston, I always liked Cliff's, been awhile since I've been there.

The all time best burger place though is my backyard, nothing like cooking your own big FAT burgers over a mesquite flame and fixin' it up so high you hurt your jaw opening your mouth to take a bite. Usually accompanied by ice cold beer, all at an economical price.

Warning, never eat White Castle's while sober.

ReefHound
08-11-2007, 22:33
Used to be on Westheimer, between Wilcrest and Dairy Ashford.

the gooch
08-11-2007, 22:48
nuff about burgers, what about a good dog. Went to Dogma in Miami and had an awesome Chicago dog for lunch (hey, i worked hard this morning for it mtn. biking 12 miles).

torrey
08-12-2007, 06:37
Did you guys knew that Athens, TX is the place it all began....

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=80R&Bill=HCR15

I grew up about 15 miles from there. They have a cook-off every year. I remember when I was a kid, they would usually get a couple of the Dallas Cowboys to be the taste testers. It was a good reason for a carnival anyway.

BuzzGA
08-12-2007, 20:46
nuff about burgers, what about a good dog. Went to Dogma in Miami and had an awesome Chicago dog for lunch (hey, i worked hard this morning for it mtn. biking 12 miles).

How about Arbetters in Miami (Bird and Galloway)...I went to high school (a bunch of years ago) right around the corner and it was good. But for overall best, I gotta go with Walters in Mamaroneck, NY.

Jumpinjax
08-12-2007, 21:57
Thanks, next time I am in the area I have to go burger hunting

georoc01
08-15-2007, 15:17
Jimmy Buffets favorite Cheeseburger joints..

"THE DEW DROP INN - Mobile, Alabama
This is where I grew up and my burger lust was formulated. The Dew Drop is still on the corner of Old Shell Road and Louiselle Street. The chili cheeseburger with the bun flattened on an industrial toaster is killer. This is also where the Heinz 57 came in. In my day, they cost 35 cents. Today they run $1.65 + tax. Still a bargain.

CAMELIA GRILL - New Orleans,Louisiana
I worked my way through college by commuting between school in Hattiesburg, Mississippi and Bourbon Street where I must say I learned more of what would serve me later in life than I did in my Algebra II classes. A girl I dated who went to Dominican College first took me to the Camelia Grill. We rode the streetcar down St. Charles Avenue past the stately mansions of the Garden District to the Camelia Grill. The girl has long since left my life, but for me, a trip to the Camelia Grill is much a pilgrimage as a trip to the St. Louis Cathedral. Besides, the chocolate pie is unbelievable.

ROTIER'S - Nashville, Tennessee
I moved to Nashville from Alabama, and on my struggling songwriter budget I found the burger I needed to survive. It was a little place on Elliston Place between Centennial Park and Vanderbilt called Roiter's. I am now back in Nashville part time, and the first place I went was to Roiter's for a cheeseburger. It is still as good as I remember from my "hard luck days".

HERBERT'S MARKET - Palm Beach, Florida
I used to spend a lot of time in Palm Beach visiting friends and was turned on to this burger, made in the meat section of the store. It's that warm butter-toasted bun and fresh ground meat that I took note of when I started to build my burger.

ORIGINAL FATBURGER - 450 South La Cienega, Los Angeles
I ate my first Fat Burger after the third show at the Troubadour one morning and have been addicted since. There are lots of new Fat Burgers all over LA, but the original is still the best. It must have something to do with that old grill.

LE SELECT - St.Barthelemy, French West Indies
I sort of watched this burger evolve and actually was the cook the first night the stand opened, flipping burgers for my friend Eddie Skatlborough. I overheard some people at the counter waiting for their burgers, and they said, "How sad. You know he used to be famous, but now he's cooking cheeseburgers."

Ruby's - Harbor Island, Bahamas
Ruby's is a little spot just beyond the cemetery and library on Harbour Island. Her burgers remind me of the ones my grandmother used to make with onions and breadcrumbs in the meat, and then there is that drop-dead Bahama bread they are served on.

SKY WAY DRIVE IN - Akron, Ohio
It seemed fitting that in the hotbed of Parrot Heads in Northeastern Ohio, there had to be a great cheeseburger.

STEAK N SHAKE - Gainesville, Florida
I used to do free concerts in front of the Student Union building at the University of Florida, and I stayed at the Hilton Hotel. The Steak n Shake was halfway between the two, and I made it a pit stop when I was driving back and forth from one end of the state to the other.

MARGARITAVILLE - Key West, Florida
After eating at all the above, I opened my own place and took the best of all of them. We don't get too many complaints on our attempt at the perfect cheeseburger. Maybe it's the location.

loudgonzo
08-15-2007, 15:25

Pinks in LA

frenchy07
08-18-2007, 23:57
Wichita, Ks - Dad's (north rock road) and Burger station (37th and Broadway)

Panama City Beach, Fl - Schooners

Whataburger (sadly the closest to my home is 3 hours away)

Splitlip
08-19-2007, 08:20
nuff about burgers, what about a good dog.

Dune Dog on Alternate A1A in Jupiter.

(for the burger, Brass Ring Pub in North Palm. "best 1/2 pound burgers and coldest beer")

NitroWill
08-19-2007, 10:16

(for the burger, Brass Ring Pub in North Palm. "best 1/2 pound burgers and coldest beer")

Brass Ring Pub is great! Go there everytime im in palm beach:smiley20:

(They're wings are killer too)

cgvmer
08-19-2007, 10:18
Sorry, the grill on my deck. best burger cause they are made how I like em!

Splitlip
08-19-2007, 11:14

Brass Ring Pub is great! Go there everytime im in palm beach:smiley20:

(They're wings are killer too)

You are right.
Can't forget the wings.

Buoyant1
08-19-2007, 19:28
Last month I was stranded in Charlotte on semi-business, and the only decent restaurant (other than the over-priced hotel grill) was a Pizzaria Uno...figuring that I would get sick of eating Chicago Classics by the end of the week, I ordered a burger the one day AWESOME! Who would have thought that a Pizza joint would have such a great burger!

scuba Widow
09-01-2007, 14:04
We don't really have a good burger joint in the area we live in, but if I had to chose it would be a little store with a grill called Valley Home Market... Tinsley Bible Drug Store...both make theirs from fresh hamburger meat and are hand patted and huge.