PDA

View Full Version : Semi-dry vs 2 piece wet suit

ejedus
06-28-2008, 21:54
Hello all,

Hoping to get some input from some fellow divers. I'm looking into buying a new wet suit and am not sure whether to get a semi dry suit or a 2 piece wet suit. I dive in northern California where the temp is usually around 50 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm not looking for a dry suit because I also use my suit to go free diving for abalone. I currently am using a 1 piece 7mm parkway with a vest and get cold while tank diving. Usually diving around 80- 90 feet in depth.

mitsuguy
06-28-2008, 22:11
I'm not sure if a wetsuit is really going to fit the bill for extended length dives and/or multiple dives...

I got chilly in a 7 mil semi dry in 55 degree water - doable, but not what I'd consider comfortable... A 2 piece wetsuit will be more coverage on the core, but will also allow more water flow through the suit than a standard semi-dry would.... I am pretty sure I've seen some 2 piece farmer johns that are semi-dry as well, however, finding one escapes me right now...

the only thing I think you might be comfortable in would be something like the Pinnacle 7 (or 8) mil semi-dry, with a 7 mil core warmer/hood layered... just make sure you have some warm gloves and boots, as that will be a big source of heat loss if not...

matt151617
06-28-2008, 23:16
Yeah, I have to agree with mitsuguy, with those kind of temps, you're really out of wetsuit range for an extended diving time. I suppose you could do it, but you definitely won't be warm unless you elect to go dry.

fisheater
06-29-2008, 12:16
I dive in Northern California - Sonoma Coast and Monterey.

I use a 7 mm two piece (Farmer John) semi-dry custom from Aqua Flite. Custom Wetsuits, Scuba Diving Skins, Parkas from AquaFlite (http://www.aquaflite.com)

It cost a bit less than off-the-rack Harveys from the LDS (when you include the hood cost) and arrived on my porch four days after I'd ordered it. The fit is great (getting a bit loose, but I've been working hard on that and they'll alter for a very reasonable fee).

It keeps me very warm down to 50 degrees, even for multiple dives. I did, the last time, get chilled (but not overly so) on multiple, deep dives at 45 degrees, last month.

Around here, a drysuit is optimum. But if you, like I, don't have the funds available for one, this is a very good interim solution.

ejedus
06-30-2008, 12:38
thanks for the imput guys. I ended up ordering a Harvery's 2 piece semi dry suit. I'll let you know how it works out once it gets here and the water visibility clears up a bit.