PDA

View Full Version : Scuba and bad weather

Rileybri
06-29-2008, 08:17
Ok so its raining and threatening to thunder and lightning hear in VT for the 2 millionth day in a row! I know my bad weather protocol for the summit of a mountain, for glacier travel, even for being on our boat. What are the the special weather precautions you keep in mind before going under the water? Any hard and fast rules? I want to go diving but I don't want to go diving and get stuck in the water during an electrical storm.

cheers,

Brian D.

Vercingetorix
06-29-2008, 09:20
We did my OW in rain, but there was no threat of lightning. The only rule I've heard is no diving in electrical storms. Everything else is fair game.

Rileybri
06-29-2008, 09:29
We did my OW in rain, but there was no threat of lightning. The only rule I've heard is no diving in electrical storms. Everything else is fair game.

Oh I have no problem with diving the rain! I was a white water rafting guide for 10ish years and it never got old when people would complain or wine about the rain getting them wet. Is a class 4+ technical rafting trip and you don't want to get wet in the rain? I always knew it was going to be a long day when I got those "sports" in my boat! I have taken the same tolerance for the weather to my diving.

Its the "threat" of thunder and lightning that has me wondering. I fit keeps up like this I will not get in the water at all this week. Every time I think the radar map is clearing up another cluster of gree/yellow/red radar blips pops up and we are under advisories again! I WANT TO GO DIVING!!!!!!!!! AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HH!:smiley13:

obrules15
06-29-2008, 09:32

Oh I have no problem with diving the rain! I was a white water rafting guide for 10ish years and it never got old when people would complain or wine about the rain getting them wet. Is a class 4+ technical rafting trip and you don't want to get wet in the rain? I always knew it was going to be a long day when I got those "sports" in my boat! I have taken the same tolerance for the weather to my diving.

Its the "threat" of thunder and lightning that has me wondering. I fit keeps up like this I will not get in the water at all this week. Every time I think the radar map is clearing up another cluster of gree/yellow/red radar blips pops up and we are under advisories again! I WANT TO GO DIVING!!!!!!!!! AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HH!:smiley13:

Sounds like you need a VACATION!!!!!!!!

Rileybri
06-29-2008, 09:37
Hell no I know from 25 years of taking skiing vacations out west that as soon as I get on that plane to head to the tropics the weather is going to clear up and get nice! Every time I head west for skiing it dumps snow in VT! I will save my vacation time for jan/feb when I "REALLY" need the sun and warm water! I just need it to stop raining and electrocution the lake! at lest stopping the electrocution part would be acceptable at this point!!!

Vercingetorix
06-29-2008, 09:48
Hell no I know from 25 years of taking skiing vacations out west that as soon as I get on that plane to head to the tropics the weather is going to clear up and get nice! Every time I head west for skiing it dumps snow in VT!Well, ya see, there's the problem.

Come on down to Texas to dive. We can guarantee diving conditions in our lakes: cold and low viz.

Now, if ya head to Coz, then warm, clear waters below and cold, strong margaritas top-side.

Rileybri
06-29-2008, 09:57
Hell no I know from 25 years of taking skiing vacations out west that as soon as I get on that plane to head to the tropics the weather is going to clear up and get nice! Every time I head west for skiing it dumps snow in VT!Well, ya see, there's the problem.

Come on down to Texas to dive. We can guarantee diving conditions in our lakes: cold and low viz.

Now, if ya head to Coz, then warm, clear waters below and cold, strong margaritas top-side.

Defiantly like the way you think! Normally our weather is much dryer and its been as of late, did I mention normally??? I can walk 1/4 mile to our lake and get cold dark and low vis, I just dont want to get fryed when I am in there!
As for the margs well being cold and deep in Coz. well until I have "finished" exploring the Virgin Islands and surrounding area I will stick with Cruzian Rum and just about anything!!:smiley2: I lived in Lapaz Baja for about two years so I know a good marg when I drink one!

Milton Waddams (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0740535/): Excuse me? Excuse me, senor? May I speak to you please? I asked for a mai tai, and they brought me a pina colada, and I said no salt, NO salt for the margarita, but it had salt on it, big grains of salt, floating in the glass...
Mexican Waiter (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0721416/): Lo siento mucho, senor.
[Under his breath]
Mexican Waiter (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0721416/): Pinche gringo.
Milton Waddams (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0740535/): [as the waiter walks away] And yes, I won't be leaving a tip, 'cause I could... I could shut this whole resort down. Sir? I'll take my traveler's checks to a competing resort. I could write a letter to your board of tourism and I could have this place condemned. I could put... I could put... strychnine in the guacamole. There was salt on the glass, BIG grains of salt.

fisheater
06-29-2008, 12:01
I don't mind diving in the rain.

In fact, I did my OW dives in a driving rainstorm that caused lots of local flooding. In fact, I had to walk past the Coast Guard filling sand bags on the beach to get into the water. As I said to my instructor while the rain water poured off of us while we were gearing up, "sure is a good thing that this sport involves getting wet, because, otherwise, this would really suck.)

That said, NO WAY I'm diving around lightning.

We had that totally freak lightening storm in Northern California (the one that caused all of those still-burning fires) and divers were getting out of the water all over the place. Fortunately, no one (either in or out of the water) was injured.

navyhmc
06-29-2008, 14:03
This past weekend, a bunch of us were diving at Oronogo and everything was alright with the rain, but when the lightening and thunder moved on, John closed the pool so to speak. Like others, I don't mind diving in the rain, but when electrons are flowing through the air in coordinated bolts, I really don't want to be part of the circuit.

And let me tell you, we mid-west divers are totally sick of all these @!*&$%ing storms!

Rileybri
06-29-2008, 14:15
This past weekend, a bunch of us were diving at Oronogo and everything was alright with the rain, but when the lightening and thunder moved on, John closed the pool so to speak. Like others, I don't mind diving in the rain, but when electrons are flowing through the air in coordinated bolts, I really don't want to be part of the circuit.

And let me tell you, we mid-west divers are totally sick of all these @!*&$%ing storms!

Ya compared to the ciaos you mid-westerns are experencing we dont have it that bad! thanks for putting it in perspective!

DivingCRNA
06-29-2008, 15:16

Ya compared to the ciaos you mid-westerns are experencing we dont have it that bad! thanks for putting it in perspective!

Ummm... It is spelled chaos...

What HMC forgot to say was that John closed the pool as DW, HMC and myself were suited up and about to enter because the weather seemed to have gotten better to us! But the Wichita weatherman was there to school us ad nauseam about lightning strikes....

captain
06-29-2008, 15:30
From NOAA, scroll all the way to the bottom of the page. The surface is the worst place, down 30 feet should be reasonably safe unless the lighting strikes the surface directly above you.

NWS Lightning Safety Outdoors (http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/outdoors.htm)

Lightning and Diving (http://www.scuba-doc.com/lightdive.htm)

DivingCRNA
06-29-2008, 15:43
From NOAA, scroll all the way to the bottom of the page. The surface is the worst place, down 30 feet should be reasonably safe unless the lighting strikes the surface directly above you.

NWS Lightning Safety Outdoors (http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/outdoors.htm)

Lightning and Diving (http://www.scuba-doc.com/lightdive.htm)

We would have been safe! Our average depth was 73 feet! We descended and ascended VERY close to the exit!

Rileybri
06-29-2008, 15:47
Ummm... It is spelled chaos...

Ya, well....."a person who can only spell a word one way lacks creativity!" mark twain:smiley2:

navyhmc
06-29-2008, 16:27
Actually Riley, I figured you combined chaos and caio (or however you spell good bye in Italian) giving us a new that means "See ya, I'm getting the hell out of here!"

At least we got in two good dives.