PDA

View Full Version : Casing for Cannon 870IS

Grizbear98
06-30-2008, 10:56
I'm looking to get into underwater photography, and looking into buying a new camera. I'm really drawn to the CANSD870ISK because of the wide angle lens, quality, and playing with it for several hours at work. Downside: only 8 megapixels, but still looks better than some of the other 10mps that they have out there. Does anybody own this one or know if there is an underwater casing for it out there?

Truered1
06-30-2008, 16:34
Yes you can get the housing - I have found them cheapest on E-bay. Currently, there are 6 listed all but one under $200. Good to 130ft.

Here is a link for the one just over $200 (lots of extras in this listing) Canon WP-DC17 Underwater Housing Case PowerShot SD870 - eBay (item 140243872280 end time Jul-03-08 16:42:00 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-WP-DC17-Underwater-Housing-Case-PowerShot-SD870_W0QQitemZ140243872280QQihZ004QQcategoryZ5050 6QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

I have the A620 which is 7.1 mp and I love it. I have gotten some really amazing photos from it. Good Luck

Grizbear98
06-30-2008, 18:44
oh sweet! I'm so fond of this camera, I keep going back to it and almost bought it the other day, but now that I know there's a casing for it, I think its going to be the one. thanks for the link!

leesanhua
08-26-2008, 04:29
how is the camera and casing worked so far?

JCAT
08-26-2008, 05:00
:ttiuwop:

CompuDude
08-27-2008, 00:48
Did you ever get it? I've been eyeing that camera myself as a super-compact and pocketable vacation cam, in spite of the lack of manual controls.

leesanhua
08-27-2008, 01:35
did you get the canon house casing? or the Ikelite Housing?
i bought the canon house but still haven't get the chance to take pictures with it yet. i was looking at the Ikelite housing but they don't have it at that time (of course, i didn't even know they will build one for canon sd870IS).
i just found out that ikelite casing came out on the august 21st. the reason that i want to have ikelite casing so that i can attach external strobe.
so my question is can i attach external strobe on the canon housing?

CompuDude
08-27-2008, 15:31
did you get the canon house casing? or the Ikelite Housing?
i bought the canon house but still haven't get the chance to take pictures with it yet. i was looking at the Ikelite housing but they don't have it at that time (of course, i didn't even know they will build one for canon sd870IS).
i just found out that ikelite casing came out on the august 21st. the reason that i want to have ikelite casing so that i can attach external strobe.
so my question is can i attach external strobe on the canon housing?

The Ike housing has no magic function enabling you to add a strobe. This camera has no TTL that needs passing through, so there's no difference between the two housings from that standpoint. For cameras with TTL strobe functionality, the Ike housing would be the way to go, but that's not the case here.

It is possible that add-on lenses (if any are available) may fit one housing and not the other, but that's hard to predict until they're actually on the market.

Usability is usually a little better on the OEM Canon housings, since they're custom designed for each camera, as opposed to the block Ikelite cube shape that just has holes drilled in differing spots depending on the camera within. Price is always better on the Canon OWM housing.

The main reason to buy the Ikelite over the Canon would be the increased ruggedness and correspondingly deeper depth rating. Also the add-on lenses... I haven't investigated that at this point, though. Frankly, though, IMO, for a little full-auto camera like this, go lean and mean with the OEM housing. If you're going to go crazy adding extras for more thoughtful photography, you should be considering a different camera entirely... one with actual manual controls. So yes, you could add a strobe, but I'm not sure it's worth it. It sort of defeats the purpose of a tiny full-auto camera when you make it big.

leesanhua
08-27-2008, 16:39
oh ok. thanks for the info.
at first i was kind of regret when i got the OEM canon housing but now i feel more better.
i agree that if we want to add anything extras, we should get a better camera instead of this small tiny compact camera.

bubbletrubble
08-27-2008, 17:17
I currently own two different Canon UW OEM housing setups. They have performed remarkably well. I have been quite happy with the various pics I've been able to take. One rig recently flooded...not sure why. I learned 2 things when troubleshooting the leak:
1. Canon doesn't repair their housings. If it's at all damaged, they want to sell you a new one.
2. Canon doesn't offer pressure testing services (in case you want to test the integrity of the housing following a flooding incident).

Frankly, I wasn't at all impressed with Canon's customer service support for the housing. They gave me the equivalent of a shrug-the-shoulders-we-can't-help-you response over the phone. If Ikelite offers repair/pressure testing services, then I'd be more inclined to buy an Ikelite housing in the future if I have a choice.

Hope this info helps...

Nemrod
08-27-2008, 18:59
For a given sensor size going up in MP only increases noise at higher ISOs. All things equal a 6 to 8 MP sensor in a P&S is more than enough for even 8X10 and prints and typical internet use. If you are planning on projection to a wall or huge poster blow ups don't let the MP race fool you. Notice that many dSLRs only have 6 to 10 MP but much larger sensors which reduces noise and increases dynamic range. So I am told.

N